Start by marking “'Toons for Our Times: A Bloom County Book of Heavy Meadow Rump 'n Roll” as Want to Read:
'Toons for Our Times: A Bloom County Book of Heavy Meadow Rump 'n Roll

'Toons for Our Times: A Bloom County Book of Heavy Meadow Rump 'n Roll

4.39  ·  Rating Details ·  5,088 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Collectible Paperback
Published April 1st 1984 by Little Brown and Company

Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it it was amazing
I loved Bloom County in the 1980's and is still feels fresh reading it again now. All of the characters are a blast to read about. Berke Breathed has done not only a wonderful job creating stories that are fun to read, but drawing the characters so well. Mr. Breathed blends the political and environmental issues of the day with humor that enables the reader not only see his point of view, but to grasp and understand not only how foolish we can behave, but also how stupidly we can act.

Franklin i
Valerie
'Our times' being the '80s, but I haven't yet encountered a specifically datable strip. Ok, got it. It's 1983/84

Evidently this has several classic strips, because it's porcupined with markers. I'll have to see which ones as I go. Looks like most of them are about Oliver Wendell Jones, boy hacker. Mr Limekiller was more or less phased out later.

The back cover matter purports to be the product of the publishers, but in fact was probably written by Breathed himself. One decision that probably WAS t
J.M. Hushour
Jun 07, 2015 J.M. Hushour rated it it was amazing
Ah, the early 1980s! The Day After, commies in Mexico about to attack, the beginning of media-driven retarded election coverage, Return of the Jedi, the first "hackers"--all this and more was lampooned, heralded, and squinted at through the daily acid (corrosive and mind-bender both) of Bloom County. It's hard to imagine someone born after, say, 1985 being able to read this and fathom much of it, so far has the world moved on since then, but it's worth a go. It's actually astonishing that Breath ...more
Stephen
Nov 07, 2013 Stephen rated it liked it
Not every Breathed comic was a winner, and that's what you get when you like a comic with an edge to it. But I fondly remember that he really captured the 80s in the same way Doonsbury captured the 70s. Not many creators can truly say they were right there in the thick of it.
Jen3n
Jun 05, 2008 Jen3n rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I always had a soft spot for the Bloom County stuff, even when I was too young to really understand what was going on. Now I read it with relish. And ketchup. It has a playful weirdness to it that still manages to be topical and biting AND be funny.

About what else can that be said?
Spudsie
Aug 31, 2008 Spudsie rated it really liked it
Shelves: bloom-county
High points.......

Milo's introduction to MTV. (Classic!!)

A much needed dandelion break. We could all use those from time to time.

Oliver and his IBM 6000 hacking into newspapers.

Closet of anxieties.

The day after "The Day After"
Will
Aug 01, 2012 Will rated it it was amazing
My first and favorite Bloom County book -- got it in 5th grade and fell in love. Just reread it in about 45 minutes and it still launches me into fits of giggles.
Devowasright
Sep 11, 2008 Devowasright rated it it was amazing
i feel so lucky to have grown up in the golden era of comic strips.. we had bloom county, far side, AND calvin & hobbes.

oh to be a child again.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing
pus is the man, well a man in penguin form. Excellent comics to cheer you up on a down day. I read a few every morning to start my day off right. Very recommended
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
Comic strip collections are always a joy to have around. Especially now that no one has newspapers anymore.
Elias Huber
Jul 01, 2013 Elias Huber rated it it was amazing
I laughed and laughed and then my flat mates threw shoes at me until I had to stop reading so they could go to sleep.
Kristen Rose
Aug 08, 2015 Kristen Rose rated it liked it
Rereading all of my dad's Bloom County books since the strip has rebooted. Good humor ... Wish I were around in the 80s so I'd get more of the references.
Guy
Nov 11, 2010 Guy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multiple-reads
Genius in drawing, political/social observation. Hmmm. It's time to re-read it!
Aaron P
Jan 25, 2011 Aaron P rated it liked it
Not my favorite... but still good!!!!
Curtiss
Aug 27, 2009 Curtiss rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, comics
Another look at the lives and times of the inhabitants of Bloom County.
Michael McFarland
Oct 28, 2013 Michael McFarland rated it really liked it
Nice trip down memory lane...
Kyrie
May 06, 2011 Kyrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, comic
Have I mentioned how much I liked the early Bloom County?
Michelle
Jun 08, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
My first Bloom County book AND the impetus for loving comics.
Karen
May 13, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Love the tuba.
Charles
Jul 30, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
A masterpiece of cartooning.
Michael
Aug 25, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, graphic-manga
"Government is the last refuge of the nincompoop."
Karl
Jan 14, 2012 Karl rated it it was amazing
Well swat my hind with a melon rind, but that's my penguin state of mind.
Du
Jan 22, 2017 Du rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A lot of cookey fun in these comics. The late 70s a s early 80s had such different political comics. Very weird, bitting and fun.
Melissa Russoniello
Melissa Russoniello rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Ed Dauterich
Ed Dauterich rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Naomi Young
Naomi Young rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2011
John Parker iii
John Parker iii rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2014
David Nowacki
David Nowacki rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Newt
Newt rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2012
  • The Bride of The Far Side
  • Doonesbury's Greatest Hits
  • May the Force Be With Us, Please: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Get Fuzzy 2: Fuzzy Logic
  • Bring Me the Head of Willy the Mailboy!
Guy Berkeley "Berke" Breathed is an American cartoonist, children's book author/illustrator, director, and screenwriter, best known for Bloom County, a 1980s cartoon-comic strip which dealt with socio-political issues as seen through the eyes of highly exaggerated characters (e.g. Bill the Cat and Opus the Penguin) and humorous analogies.

More about Berkeley Breathed...