Start by marking “Happy Trails” as Want to Read:
Happy Trails

Happy Trails

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  2,214 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Collectible Paperback
Published April 1st 1990 by Little Brown and Company (first published March 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Trails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Trails

Mike
The end of the line. The collected comic strips leading up to the eventual end of Bloom County. It was fun while it lasted!

Trying to explain Bloom County to those who aren't familiar with it is difficult -- the appeal was part of the zeitgeist of the times -- let me put it this way, Bloom County was to 1980's comic strips what South Park was to 2000's TV cartoons.

Perhaps Donald Trump said it best on the Critic's Page of the book...

"'I never thought Berke Breathed had talent, so he was probably...more
Valerie
Turns out I do have another Bloom county collection, after all. I've got to get better lighting in my library, so that I can see what's on the bottom shelf without being blinded.

As the valedictory collection, it's bound to induce nostalgia. My main regret is that it doesn't really have the Sunday cartoon that introduced Outland--and (I've checked) that cartoon is not in the one Outland collection I've seen, either.

Pity, that. It was one of my favorites, and I nursed along a clipping of it thro...more
David Caldwell
When I was working in any of the many bookstores where I was employed and I did not want (or have the time) to read my current book, I would grab one of these collections to read on my too short break. I slowly but surely worked my way through several series. These are great time killers and will usually improve your mood no matter how hectic the day. Laughter can be the best solution to dealing with the public.

I was first introduced to Opus and gang way back in college.(You know those days when...more
Alger
Bittersweet. The humor is still there but muted, and the satire mellows as the whole weird world of Milo and the Boardinghouse closes up and Opus takes off for Outland.

Slavoj Zizek
The final collection of Bloom County strips, being the book in which Donald Trump's brain is transplanted into Bill the Cat's body. About as dated as you'd expect a mainstream newspaper comic from 1989 to be, but as always, the heart (and the politics, sadly) are timeless.
Dan Weiss
Always good stuff, especially the return of the non-Vegan Steve Dallas. A little too long with the Donald Trump's brain in Bill the Cat, Billy and the Boingers is still my favorite.
angrykitty
i was so sad when bloom county ended. even though i tried, i just never got into the spinoffs that much. so sad....i saw that the latest spinoff just ended......bummer.....
Peter Berg
i'm too young to understand any of it. why is tigger being donald trump? why does the penguin get liposuction on his beak? what year is this and how is this only the last book
Jeff
Sometimes TV doesn't work, and 'serious' books are too serious, and you just need to break it up with something really different. Like intelligently written and witty cartoons.
Karen
I didn't like how Breathed ended the series. Sometimes I think it's better to just stop than to try to wrap things up all cleverly.
Spudsie

Rosebud preggers!

Near death

The end
Joe
Laugh-till-your-head explodes funny. Recommended for anyone except Donald Trump.
Melissa Lee-tammeus
Love this series - I can't collect enough
SmarterLilac
Also not as funny as the others, but still good.
Kyrie
This guy is twisted and funny.
Sabur76
Good, good. A sign of the times.
Curtiss
More stories from Bloom County.
Aaron P
Liked it. It was good enough!
RK Byers
  • Still Pumped from Using the Mouse
  • Valley of The Far Side
  • May the Force Be With Us, Please: A FoxTrot Collection
  • The Doonesbury Chronicles
Guy Berkeley "Berke" Breathed is an American cartoonist, children's book author/illustrator, director, and screenwriter, best known for Bloom County, a 1980s cartoon-comic strip which dealt with socio-political issues as seen through the eyes of highly exaggerated characters (e.g. Bill the Cat and Opus the Penguin) and humorous analogies.

More about Berkeley Breathed...
Bloom County Babylon: Five Years of Basic Naughtiness Bloom County Loose Tails 'Toons for Our Times: A Bloom County Book of Heavy Meadow Rump 'n Roll Penguin Dreams and Stranger Things (A Bloom County Book) Billy & Boingers Bootleg (Bloom County Book)