On Tide Mill Lane (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #2)

On Tide Mill Lane (Little House: The Charlotte Years #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,101 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Boston's Little House Girl Meet Charlotte Tucker, the little girl who would grow up to be Laura Ingalls Wilder's grandmother. Winter is coming, and Charlotte's days are filled with cornhusking and candle dipping and helping Mama mind baby Mary. But the war is still going on, and Charlotte worries about Will, Papa's striker, who is marching north with the militia. Then one...more
Published February 28th 2001 by HarperTrophy (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about On Tide Mill Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Tide Mill Lane

Rosa Cline

This is the second book in the Little House "Charlotte Years". It is written for an older child so if you are an adult reading you may think it's 'below' you. But I found it a nice book to read before bed to help calm my mind of my busy day. It's a pleasant read Ms Wiley wrote this book just like she did the "Martha years" incorporating in the history of what was going on during that time in Charlotte's life.

This book holds a lot of history pertaining to that time frame in real life. That is wh...more
Paul Lunger
The 2nd book in the Charlotte years series by Melissa Wiley, "On Tide Mill Lane" takes us out of the War of 1812 & into the summer of 1815. In this installment, the Tucker family goes through the holidays, has son Lewis get a serious infection due to a splinter & we go through the routines of school & parades. Wiley's story is a bit better than the last installment as we get a better feel for Roxbury, MA in the mid 1810s & the way of life that this fragile nation of ours was begi...more
Kasey
Charlotte's series was fun to read and I thought it was interesting to read about Laura's grandmother and how she grew up in a time much different then Laura. I would greatly encourage Little House fans to read the whole little house series beginning with Laura's great grandmother, Martha, and ending with Laura's daugher, Rose. It was so much fun reading about the different times these women lived in. Rated three stars because it is way below my reading level so it is a entertaining fast read.
Rebecca
Another interesting pre-quel to the Little House books, this one the second in the series about Charlotte Tucker, Laura's grandmother. My favorite parts are the ones in which we see how things were made in those days (1814), like candles, which we made in a similar way at summer camp (though with wax, not tallow). Lots of tragedy in this one, which is in keeping with the Laura books, but not my favorite parts!
Alexandra
This book was not as intriguing as the Lauras or the two Carolines that I've read. It's kind of boring, but it was all right. Not particularly worth it, but if you already bought it don't freak out, it's not that bad. Although I must say, it was excellent the way emotions were displayed.
Cindy
Second in a series about Laura Ingalls Wilder's grandmother, Charlotte Tucker.. Continues to be well-written. Several chapters were quite dramatic and had me on the edge of my seat.
Lauri
I enjoyed all the Charlotte books though it's important to remember these are historical fiction without a real connection to the Ingalls family.
Theresa
a story of the trials of a six year old Charlotte and the end of the war of 1812 in the small town near boston
Ruth
Average for a little house book with exception to the scary thing that happens to a family member.
Katie
Nov 17, 2013 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Again, another cute book in this series. I thought this was one of the better ones.
Heidi
More of Charlotte's childhood. I really liked the setting for this series.
Kaye
Little house the Charlotte years. (Laura's grandmother)
SuzanneG
2nd "Charlotte book". REad with Grama Charlotte.
Sadie
Good, sweet story.
Izzy Wallace
Izzy Wallace marked it as to-read
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Brianne Von Frankenstein
Brianne Von Frankenstein marked it as to-read
Laurie T
Laurie T marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Emily Merrins
Emily Merrins marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Jemima
Jemima marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Austenladyx
Austenladyx marked it as to-read
Abbie Slotsky
Abbie Slotsky marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Tegan Mae (t and a book)
Tegan Mae (t and a book) marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
  • Little City by the Lake (Little House: The Caroline Years, #6)
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
  • New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #6)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • A Little House Sampler: A Collection of Early Stories and Reminiscenses
  • Mary Ingalls on Her Own
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder: The Woman behind the Legend
  • A Light in the Storm: The Civil War Diary of Amelia Martin, Fenwick Island, Delaware, 1861 (Dear America)
  • I Remember Laura: Laura Ingalls Wilder
Melissa Wiley is the author of more than a dozen books for kids and teens, including The Prairie Thief, Inch and Roly Make a Wish, Fox and Crow Are Not Friends, and the Martha and Charlotte Little House books. She lives in San Diego with her husband and their six kids. Melissa blogs about her family’s reading life at Here in the Bonny Glen. She is @melissawiley on Twitter.
More about Melissa Wiley...
Little House in the Highlands (Little House: The Martha Years, #1) Little House by Boston Bay (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #1) Beyond the Heather Hills (Little House: The Martha Years, #4) The Far Side of the Loch (Little House: The Martha Years, #2) Down to the Bonny Glen (Little House: The Martha Years, #3)