Start by marking “Waistland: A (R)evolutionary View of Our Weight and Fitness Crisis” as Want to Read:
Waistland: A (R)evolutionary View of Our Weight and Fitness Crisis

Waistland: A (R)evolutionary View of Our Weight and Fitness Crisis

In the modern jungle of burgers, couches, and remote controls, obesity is an enormous and growing epidemic. Weight-loss books and diet gurus urge us to "listen to our bodies," but our instincts are designed for the African savannah, not food courts. The sugary and fatty foods that we, as hunter-gatherers, are programmed to forage used to be hard to come by. Now they're as ...more
Published June 17th 2007 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about Waistland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waistland

Farhana Faruq
Mar 23, 2014 Farhana Faruq rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-fitness
Very interesting read...lots of information in one book.

Some of the things covered:
- Effects of television (and advertising) - on both adults and children
- Keeps referring back to the period of hunters-gathers, and how they lived
- Main topic seemed to be 'supernormal stimuli', what it is, how it works, and its effects
- Body Max Index (BMI) - its history, etc., and how measurements have changed over time
- Government - how health/food is run, what changes need to be implemented

Other interesting in
nina
Jan 20, 2008 nina rated it really liked it
This book reviews the evolutionary explanation for our modern behaviors and misbehaviors when it comes to food and fitness. Author Barrett lays out clear and well-articulated scientific evidence for her arguments.

I was apprehensive that this book, written by a noted hypnotherapist, would be a "how to" book or too off-the-wall, but I found myself in agreement with about 80% of the book. I love the examples and analogies she uses, such as Tinbergen's supernormal stimuli and how the sedentary adul
Kathleen
Dec 13, 2008 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Best "diet" type book I've ever read. Very insightful and motivating. Highly recommend to anyone, even if you don't need to watch your weight. Lots of info about the USDA, Food and Drug Administration and farm subsidies that most people probably do not know about. Very informative but also an easy read and well written.
Dasha
Jul 27, 2008 Dasha rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dasha by: Brooklyn Public Library
This was an interesting approach to the problem of obesity in America. Though most of the facts and statistics are well known or at least not surprising, they are explained through the lens of evolutionary science. An interesting, easy read.
Edmund
May 18, 2010 Edmund rated it liked it
Recommended to Edmund by: edmundweisberg@yahoo.com
It's no Michael Pollan or Marion Nestle, but I did highlight the hell out of it. There were several healthy morsels on how our weight and fitness crisis has emerged and ways to overcome it.
Christy
Jul 26, 2008 Christy rated it it was ok
If you've read one "revolutionary" weight-loss/fitness book, you've read them all. This one prescribes a life style that's just too rigid for my tastes.
Amy Weiser
Apr 04, 2014 Amy Weiser rated it it was amazing
Excellent analysis of the overweight and obesity problem many people now face. This book really lays out a lot of facts that are sometimes surprising, as they are misconstrued in modern society.
Megan Kelly
Megan Kelly rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2017
Jekyvsk
Jekyvsk rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2009
Jean
Jean rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Jen Mullins
Jen Mullins rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2008
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2011
Liz Bartels
Liz Bartels rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2008
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Bernie
Bernie rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2008
Undreya
Undreya rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Na
Na rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Greg Mild
Greg Mild rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2012
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2010
Jemile Nesimi
Jemile Nesimi rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2011
David
David rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2011
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2010
Michael T.
Michael T. rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Rich
Rich rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was ok
May 08, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2008
ISAAC PELLETIER
ISAAC PELLETIER rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Deirdre Barrett is an author and psychologist who teaches at Harvard Medical School. She is known for her research on dreams, hypnosis and imagery and has written on evolutionary psychology. Barrett is a Past President of The International Association for the Study of Dreams and of the American Psychological Association’s Div. 30, The Society for Psychological Hypnosis.
More about Deirdre Barrett...