Waistland: A (R)evolutionary View of Our Weight and Fitness Crisis

Waistland: A (R)evolutionary View of Our Weight and Fitness Crisis

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In the modern jungle of burgers, couches, and remote controls, obesity is an enormous and growing epidemic. Weight-loss books and diet gurus urge us to "listen to our bodies," but our instincts are designed for the African savannah, not food courts. The sugary and fatty foods that we, as hunter-gatherers, are programmed to forage used to be hard to come by. Now they're as...more
Published June 17th 2007 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Waistland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waistland

Farhana Faruq
Very interesting read...lots of information in one book.

Some of the things covered:
- Effects of television (and advertising) - on both adults and children
- Keeps referring back to the period of hunters-gathers, and how they lived
- Main topic seemed to be 'supernormal stimuli', what it is, how it works, and its effects
- Body Max Index (BMI) - its history, etc., and how measurements have changed over time
- Government - how health/food is run, what changes need to be implemented

Other interesting in...more
Amy Weiser
Excellent analysis of the overweight and obesity problem many people now face. This book really lays out a lot of facts that are sometimes surprising, as they are misconstrued in modern society.
nina
This book reviews the evolutionary explanation for our modern behaviors and misbehaviors when it comes to food and fitness. Author Barrett lays out clear and well-articulated scientific evidence for her arguments.

I was apprehensive that this book, written by a noted hypnotherapist, would be a "how to" book or too off-the-wall, but I found myself in agreement with about 80% of the book. I love the examples and analogies she uses, such as Tinbergen's supernormal stimuli and how the sedentary adul...more
Laurie
Barrett compares modern people to paleolithic hunter-gatherers and uses the differences in eating and lifestyle to explain current weight and fitness problems. Barrett says that you CAN'T rely on instinct in our culture to make correct choices. Also, suggests that thinner IS better, including calorie restricted lifestyle. Proponent of "paleo" type food choices, vegetables and fish, increasing activity levels. Suggests cognitive-behavioral approach and hypnosis for change.
Kathleen
Best "diet" type book I've ever read. Very insightful and motivating. Highly recommend to anyone, even if you don't need to watch your weight. Lots of info about the USDA, Food and Drug Administration and farm subsidies that most people probably do not know about. Very informative but also an easy read and well written.
Dasha
Jul 27, 2008 Dasha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dasha by: Brooklyn Public Library
This was an interesting approach to the problem of obesity in America. Though most of the facts and statistics are well known or at least not surprising, they are explained through the lens of evolutionary science. An interesting, easy read.
Edmund
May 18, 2010 Edmund rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Edmund by: edmundweisberg@yahoo.com
It's no Michael Pollan or Marion Nestle, but I did highlight the hell out of it. There were several healthy morsels on how our weight and fitness crisis has emerged and ways to overcome it.
Christy
If you've read one "revolutionary" weight-loss/fitness book, you've read them all. This one prescribes a life style that's just too rigid for my tastes.
Alejandrodumas
Alejandrodumas marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Sandra Virula
Sandra Virula marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Sherifah
Sherifah marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jul 28, 2013
Justin Banger
Justin Banger marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Abi
Abi is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2013
Liam Jenkins
Liam Jenkins marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Supernormal Stimuli: How Primal Urges Overran Their Evolutionary Purpose The Pregnant Man: And Other Cases from a Hypnotherapist's  Couch The Committee of Sleep: How Artists, Scientists, and Athletes Use Dreams for Creative Problem-Solving-- and How You Can Too Trauma and Dreams Encyclopedia of Sleep and Dreams