Start by marking “Red: Several Marvelous, Sensational, Absurd, Visionary, Peculiar, Unthinkable, Wicked and Totally Untrue Stories” as Want to Read:

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Driving home one night, Red editor Kris Goldsmith spotted a bright, red scarf lying alone by the side of the road. She lives beyond the middle of nowhere in rural Pennsylvania and wondered just how that scarf got there. She also wondered what reasons some of the writers she d been working with at Boxfire Press could dream up, so she handed out a challenge: write a short st ...more
Published November 30th 2011 by Boxfire Press

To ask other readers questions about Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red

Craig
Jan 29, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
*Goodreads First Reads Advanced Copy*

The book Red: Several Marvelous, Sensational, Absurd, Visionary, Peculiar, Unthinkable, Wicked and Totally Untrue Stories lives up to its title. At least it almost does. Someone had to think of the stories, so they can't be unthinkable.

I found the book to be quite an easy read (finished in 1 day). Each story was unique and well written though, like any book of short stories, there were some I enjoyed more. Superhero by Justin McLachlan was perfection. The or
Lauren
Jan 31, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I received this book in a goodreads giveaway.

I was so excited when I won this book in the giveaway. It sounded like an extremely interesting concept, and I was interested to know how the authors involved handled it. I was not disappointed.

The first two stories were really good, but the last three were brilliant. I can tell that this book has a re-readability rate. I feel like I will pull something new from it each time I read this. My favorite thing about these stories is that the authors didn'
Lucy Furr
Apr 19, 2012 Lucy Furr rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

So, I won this book quite a while ago, but sadly I haven't had much time for reading lately and now, all I can say is: Damn! I wish I had been able to read it sooner!

Red is a marvelous collection of five short stories, each of which is unique and interesting, and most importantly, well written. Usually when I read a collection of stories by multiple authors, no matter the number of stories, there's always one or two that just don't sit
Fred Hughes
Feb 07, 2012 Fred Hughes rated it really liked it
This review is based on a free copy of this book supplied to me by the Publisher - Boxfire Press

This is a quirky collection of five stories that each have a science fiction nugget of some sort embedded within them.

STORY ATTRIBUTES:

ORIGINALITY (standard, high, stellar) – HIGH – in how the science fiction factor is slowly incorporated into the stories

ACTION (none, some, lots) – NONE – these aren’t really action type stories, more character development stories

SEX (none, some, lots) NONE

PROFANITY (
Brittany
Jan 23, 2012 Brittany rated it liked it
Shelves: books-won
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads.

I loved the concept of this book of short stories about a random red scarf in the middle of nowhere. What would spawn from that? Could be interesting!

Unfortunately these stories were a major disappointment with the red scarf near non-existent, except for Justin McLachlan’s Superhero, it was awesome! (And added a star to the rating) Placed at the end of this book, it definitely is the redeeming factor that makes this boo
Jenny
Jan 22, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
I was very excited when I won Red in the First Reads Giveaway. The very concept - short stories spawned from the curiosity of a random red scarf in the middle of no where - is fresh and exciting. Unfortunately, the majority of the stories did not live up to that excitement. While interesting, I'd hesitate to give any of them more than 3 stars.
However, there is an exception to every rule and in this case, Justin McLachlan's Superhero is definitely exceptional. Well placed as the last story in th
Alan Taylor
Feb 03, 2012 Alan Taylor rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: wins, first-reads
I received this book through the First Reads and have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Agree with other comments that it is very easy to get through in a couple of hours, but the stories do become more gripping as you go on.
A couple of them I feel could be developed further into full blown novels, especially Superhero by Justin McLachlan, there are just so many more directions this story could take.
I would recommend this to any fan of short stories.
Angela
When editor Kris Goldsmith saw a red scarf abandoned in the road one day, she wondered what its story was. And, like any good editor at an independent press, she put that question to several of her authors. This collection of short stories is the result.

It's a rather hit-and-miss collection, I think, but mostly hit. The first story, "Like Smoke" by L.G. Fitzgerald is the big miss, taking the most obvious path to the misplaced scarf. Interesting enough, but with an utterly predictable outcome. "S
Nathan Burgoine
Sep 29, 2012 Nathan Burgoine rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
I quite liked this. You all know my penchant for short fiction, so I'll mention that this is another anthology of short fiction that I'm reviewing here.

The idea behind this collection is in the description on the rear cover: "Driving home one night, Red editor Kris Goldsmith spotted a bright, red scarf lying alone by the side of the road. She lives beyond the middle of nowhere in rural Pennsylvania and wondered just how that scarf got there. She also wondered what reasons some of the writers she
Dave
Jul 19, 2012 Dave rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by a friend. I was so intrigued by the concept -- different writers given the same seemingly insignificant detail to write about. All the stories were okay, a few were so exceptional I can't wait to read more of the authors' work (and have already done so in some cases). Justin McLachlan's Superhero was such a standout I was so bummed when it ended! Andy is such an original character I really hope we see more of him and what happens to his future. The entire concept of ...more
Kayla
Mar 07, 2012 Kayla rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I was so happy to win this book in a giveaway. It is exactly what the cover says it is; Its five marvelous, sensational, absurd, visionary, peculiar, unthinkable, and wicked stories. I love reading short stories in my free time and this ranks second only to Stephen King's book Everything is Eventual. This is one that I feel every one should take the time to read and enjoy.
Andrew
Feb 10, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-won
This book is a nice read with an excellent range of emotion, mystery, and suspense. The book ends on a high note leaving the best story for last. I received an advance copy of this book through a goodreads giveway.
Karina
Sep 09, 2012 Karina rated it it was amazing
What great short stories ! This was a fun read, a great little story that has to do with the scarf. I t was interesting to see how they each added the red scarf and how it symbolized something. Great short story :)
Tiffani Erickson
Jan 20, 2013 Tiffani Erickson rated it really liked it
It took me a minute to realise that these stories stand on their own. I kept wanting them to be tied together. I also wasn't sure what to expect and I like what was collaborated and published.
Aviana Lane
Aviana Lane rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Lee
Lee added it
Feb 09, 2016
Rosie
Rosie rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Kirsty
Kirsty rated it did not like it
Oct 24, 2014
Danelle
Danelle marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Jesse
Jesse rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Thekla
Thekla rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Kris
Kris rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
Kye
Kye rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2012
Carla
Carla rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2012