Start by marking “Going Topless” as Want to Read:
Going Topless

Going Topless

Sibling rivalry has crossed many an ocean....
When Constance Wright arrives at her family's summerhouse on the Mediterranean island of Santerre for her father Ross's memorial, she hopes that boyfriend Jim, the New York investment banker on her arm, will boost her status in the family. Between her ravishing sister, Isabelle; her ageless French stepmother, Odette; and her E
Published June 1st 2004 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Going Topless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Topless

Chanpreet
Jun 16, 2011 Chanpreet rated it did not like it
Boy was this book not for me. There was so much going on that made me feel like I was missing a huge back story.

I had been intrigued by the blurb, but most of happened in the book was not what I had read on the blurb. I was also never fully involved in what was going on in the book, since I was too busy trying to figure out what was going on.

Had the book been a little bit more structured, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more.

Cheryl
This book started out ok. The first two or so chapters made it seem like it was going to be fun! But then it turns out that there is not one likable character in this book. This was interesting because about halfway through the book, the main character is critiquing Madame Bovary and says that not one person in that book is sympathetic. I still haven't decided if the author did this on purpose or not, or if she really thought her characters were good. Additionally, not much happens in this book. ...more
Joanne
Jun 30, 2016 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just a fluffy beach read of a blended family that gets together for a family memorial on a French island. There were some pretty zany characters and lots of partner switching, a few kids, some shady islanders with a connected business. I found this story humorous and reminded me of a 1980's movie comedy.
Shannon Rodriguez
I liked the scandals this book had because they didn't hold back. Every character in the book that was mentioned ended up having a vital part, I felt like there wasn't a boring moment in this book.
April
Feb 05, 2011 April rated it it was amazing
I agree with the other reviewers who said this is not chick lit, but it should appeal to readers who enjoy a book with great fun and unusual characters of all ages who find themselves thrown together in an exotic location, (island off the coast of France). Lots of poignant moments as well as a comedy of errors sensibility made this a page turner for me. Twists and turns in the plot make it a fun ride and in the end it all makes sense. Family secrets are slowly revealed and lots of romantic subpl ...more
Elle
Aug 03, 2009 Elle rated it liked it
It looks like chick lit, it sells like chick lit but it's not. It takes place on a little island of San Terra in the Mediterranean. It's about 4 sisters who have definite Daddy issues which is difficult because Daddy is dead. A few romantic twists comes about and all of a sudden it becomes a mystery that has everyone on the island going crazy.

It think that the novel is confused by what it is supposed to be. If you read it with not a lot of expectations you might like it.
Erica
Aug 25, 2008 Erica rated it it was ok
The book was about a family that went back to their home oversees to attend he memorial of their father. They get into a little bit of trouble. It was mostly about how the girls were having a hard time with life. They all have their problems and they argue about different things, but in the end realize that they are still family and they forgive each other. It was not a bad read, but I would not recommend it.
Julie
Aug 03, 2009 Julie rated it did not like it
I was looking for a little fluff and I started this book with an open mind. I didn't end up finishing it because I found it lacking in so many things. Maybe I was in the wrong mood, maybe I was expecting too much. Whatever the case, it just didn't do it for me, not for my fluff need, and not for anything else.
Lisa
May 08, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parisian-escape
Loving the Parisian chick lit-esque prose! This is my second McAndrew novel and it doesn't disappoint. However, I love the cover change since this really shouldn't have been marketed as chick-lit. McAndrew is much too good of a writer for that. Glad I've found her and I hope she comes out with something new soon!
Alaine
Apr 03, 2012 Alaine rated it liked it
The story unfolds slowly and picks up in the middle but then all of a sudden resolves itself to fast.

Much like McAndrew's first book "Dreaming in French" she writes with a sensitivity to cultural awareness. Perhaps due to McAndrew's upbringing of growing up global as a 'Third Culture Kid' (also known as Expat kid)
Amanda Szumigraj Holschwander
Jul 02, 2009 Amanda Szumigraj Holschwander rated it did not like it
I was quite disappoint with the book. The story was very hard to follow. There were many characters that popped in and out without any background or reasoning. The plot started in one directions and then ended a completely different way, and the summary has very little to do with the book as a whole.
Kristacraft
May 15, 2009 Kristacraft rated it did not like it
I wasn't crazy about this book. In fact I read all the way to the last chapter and then gave up (so I technically didn't finish it). There were so many bizzare twists that seemed to come out of left field at that point that I was frustrated and gave up.
Nikki
Jul 27, 2011 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started off ok. Then felt like the author was just ready to be done with it and finished it. Not a great read. Dysfunctional family at it's best in a worldly atmosphere.
Michelle
Jul 14, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
The book had a lot of twist and I actually ended up enjoying it. I started reading it last night and just finished it. I couldn't really put it down.
Lou
Aug 12, 2008 Lou rated it liked it
Julie Ehlers
Apr 09, 2011 Julie Ehlers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looks like chick lit, but it's not. Good for fans of Diane Johnson, and of novels that explore culture clashes among American/French/British people.
Barb Peterson
Sep 22, 2013 Barb Peterson rated it did not like it
Don't have much of anything good to say about this read. Could re-title it "changing partners in france".
Linda
Feb 20, 2008 Linda rated it liked it
The title is very misleading. This is a suspense novel about how money or the lack there of can corrupt,
Gina
Mar 12, 2008 Gina rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
It was okay, not at all what I expected. And you'll need a flow chart to remember who slept with who.
Laura Kozlowski
Oct 18, 2010 Laura Kozlowski rated it did not like it
Kind of trashy, and I didn't like the ending! It did make me think of being on vacation though!
Heather
Aug 17, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok
this book was a disappointment after the wonderful "dreaming in french" by megan mcandrew.
Euga
Jul 26, 2010 Euga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As netikiu atsitiktinumais; manau, kad zmones zino, ko nori, ir pagal tai viska suplanuoja.
Lynn Cooper
Jun 09, 2013 Lynn Cooper rated it it was ok
Nothing special. Entertaining.
Cheryl
Apr 02, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was ok
I really would like to give this book a 2.5. It wasn't *horrible* but it wasn't even "meh" to warrant 3 stars.

This book starts off as if it might be pretty interesting. The first few chapters made me want to keep reading. But then you begin to meet the characters. There is not one likeable character in this book. There are a couple of tolerable ones but there is zero character development until the last sum-up chapters that there is no one you are really rooting for. This is interesting because
Mandy
Aug 02, 2013 Mandy rated it it was ok
Odd.
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Laura Freechack
Laura Freechack rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
  • Bombshell
  • Loves Me, Loves Me Not
  • A Most Uncommon Degree of Popularity
  • Pink Slip
Megan Mcandrew grew up in France, Spain, and Belgium, and has worked in Warsaw, Poland, as a representative for the Financial Services Volunteer Corps. She is a graduate of Brown University and the Yale School of Management. Megan lives in New York with her eleven-year-old son.

More about Megan McAndrew...