Start by marking “Insectlopedia” as Want to Read:

The windows are open and bugs are everywhere! Children will delight in this collection of twenty-one buggy poems - just don't forget the calamine lotion.
Published April 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Insectlopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Insectlopedia

L13_F Sandra
Nov 06, 2013 L13_F Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I am not big on insects but this book was so much fun to read. Many of the poems have rhythm. In The Army Ants poem it sounds like the ants are marching as you read the poem. Other poems are shaped like the insect or what the insect does and have rhythm.In the Inchworm you can almost see the inchworm moving up and down and in The Whirligig Beetles you can see the beetles gliding across water in circles. The illustrations were really well done. I liked them because they were cartoonish and nonthr ...more
This book is a fun collection of poems about bugs. Each poem is short and sweet. I would use this book as practice for reading poetry out loud. Students can practice adding tone and timing to the poems to ceate the right mood. I would also use this book as a tool to show how to publish poetry. It shows how poets play with the layout of the text to add to the reading experience (The inchworm poem is one line that arcs across the paper like an inchworm.) This book also is also a fun way to learn a ...more
Aug 12, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was ok
I think insects are cool, and often beautiful in their own way. This book made me find them *less* appealing. Also, it's not scientifically accurate at all. So, what's the redeeming value? There are actually lots of other artistic children's poetry books about insects, bugs, little critters; choose one of them instead.

For just one example, Song of the Water Boatman and Other Pond Poems, by the award-winning author of Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night, Joyce Sidman.
Dec 14, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems
This is a great collection of insect-themed poems by Douglas Florian. His whimsical rhymes and quickly paced patterns make reading about these bugs fun and enjoyable! Students will love his watercolor illustrations as well.

This book would be a great introduction to poetry unit. Students could mimic Florian's style with poems of their own about insects or other living things. To add some art to the lesson, students could paint their own watercolor illustrations to go with their poems. What a fun
Asa Jacobs
Dec 18, 2014 Asa Jacobs rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems
This book contains over twenty poems, each about a different insect. The poems are funny and share details about many insects. The book is wonderfully illustrated with watercolors that tell the story in the poem. The author wrote and illustrated the entire book. I really enjoyed this book and feel students will too.

This book would be great for a variety of classroom activities. It not only provides great poems to share with students but also would be a great addition to a lesson on insects. Each
Mar 23, 2016 Krista rated it really liked it
Shelves: literacy-class
Insectlopedia is a fantastic collection of poems and beautiful paintings by Douglas Florian. The insect world may give some the creeps, but as a science teacher I was delighted at the skillful way this author described each of the insects "special" features leading for discussion and deeper understanding of each insect.

I see this picture poem book being used in multiple primary grades as an opening engagement read aloud for numerous life science units. Integrating science within literacy is a gr
Apr 20, 2015 Mandee rated it it was amazing
This book is themed and, as the name would imply, all about bugs. This book has rhythm in that you can feel the marching of the ants in the poem “In The Army Ants” Other poems are shaped like the insect.
The poems explain about the behaviors and habits of the insects.
I believe that Kindergarten through Second grade would enjoy hearing the poems and 2nd through 4th would enjoy reading them on their own.
I liked the illustrations because they were nonthreatening and cartoony in style. The picture
Anna Stover
Oct 10, 2014 Anna Stover rated it it was amazing
Last minute storytime, and a very successful one! This book made a fantastic teaching aid for explaining poetry to a peek/kindergarten class. The illustrations perfectly exemplify the way that poetry talks about its subject by likening it to something else. The butterfly is a butterfly, but in the illustration, it is also a crown. I'm not sure how much they got out of it, but it was a really great starting point. The poem are appropriate to kids of a variety of ages I think, since they use langu ...more
Twenty-one poems packed with word play and brimming with awe at the insect world pay tribute to a variety of insects, including the caterpillar, the daddy longlegs, the crickets, and the locusts, and the daddy longlegs, among others. My favorites include "The Inchworm" and "The Whirligig Beetles," two concrete poems, and "The Ticks," which concludes in typical Florian fashion, with "Ticks are strictly parasi-tic" (p. 45). The author/illustrator has created the stunning illustrations with waterco ...more
A great way to introduce children to bugs/science!
Chris Maynard
Student Name: Chris Maynard

Purpose: Poetry/Anthology (Wide Reading Project)

Genre: Poetry

Format: Picture Book

Grades: Pre-K to Primary

Subjects/Themes: See the bookshelves above.

School Use: Wow! Douglas Florian's 21 poems on insects would be perfect in the primary grades, especially in a science classroom studying insects. The poems are humorous (though some humor may be lost on children) and the paintings are eye-catching. I believe that young children would really enjoy the poems and learn a lot
Alex Tierney
Feb 22, 2012 Alex Tierney added it
Shelves: eced-221
Insectlopedia is about all different tyoes of insects and the types of things that they do. One poem is about an army of ants and how they roam around in a swarm. Another poem is about mosquitoes how what they look like and how they act. There is no real plot to the story, there are individual poems that have their own story.
The book has some poems that have rhyme and some that don't. For example, on poem says, "Upon a twig, I sit and pray, For something big, To wend my way." This is an example
Amanda Hamilton
Jul 08, 2007 Amanda Hamilton rated it really liked it
Expressive poems about insects make up the content of Inseclopedia: Paintings and Poems by award-winning author Douglas Florian. Using a fun, narrative style, Florian presents life from an insect’s point of view in the 21 poems of this compilation.

The subject and writing style of Insectlopedia makes it attractive to readers in the middle elementary grades. A table of contents begins the book by listing its works; all titled by the word ‘The’ then the name of the insect. Insects included in the b
Nov 16, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
Table of Contents: aka insects addressed: Caterpillar, Dragonfly, Daddy Longlegs, Army Ants, Inchworm, Praying Mantis, Black Widow Spider, Io Moth, Whirligig Beetles, Weevils, Walkingstick, Hornet, Treehoppers, Mosquitoes, Monarch Butterfly, Giant Water Bug, Termites, Crickets, LOcusts, Ticks, Mayfly. A good resource for nature programs and story times.
Jon Van
May 02, 2015 Jon Van rated it really liked it
This is a poetry that has a page devoted to several different types of poem. I have included this book into my life cycle text set as it has books about both caterpillars and butterflies. I love these types of poetry books because they are poems written about things that students of all ages are familiar with and they can see that poetry does not have to be about love and romance.

Reading level: 4.1
Nov 20, 2009 Annette rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
These sly, humorous poems seem to seize upon certain characteristics of insects and playfully, rhythmically exaggerate them. The mostly watercolor illustrations are delicate and surreal. My three children, especially the two boys, really enjoyed reading these poems aloud, for example, "The Weevils": "We are weevils./We are evil./We've aggrieved/Since time primeval..."
This would be fun to read while studying insects; the students could then write their own poems about insects. They could also use
Andrew Foster
Mar 26, 2012 Andrew Foster rated it it was amazing
Grade Level: Kindergarten - 2nd

What a fun book! I really liked this book. The poems were fun, but actually taught you something about the insect. Some of his poems are even shaped like the insect he wrote about. What an ingenious way of teaching about insects through poetry.

I could see a teacher using this as a bridge between science and ELA. A lesson plan can be easily incorporated to allow students to learn about insects and then write a poem based on their research. Instead of writing a resea
Sep 03, 2009 Bernadette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of 21 poems all about insects covers hornets, mosquitoes, crickets, termites, and many more. There is a range of types or genres, and a unique painting accompanies each poem.

I like the paintings as much as I do the poems in this collection. I really like how each insect is given a personality, although it’s not so nice to call weevils evil! I enjoyed Florian’s invented words such as fatterpillar and spiderobic. The concrete, or shape, poems were some of my favorites. Actually, I
This is a well-put together book. The illustrations are beautiful and
the presentation of the poems very nice. Interestingly, the poems are
a little more child-oriented than the presentation would indicate.

The Giant Water Bug

The giant water bug can lug
His eggs upon his back.
He gives them extra care up there
And guards them from attack.
The mother glues them to the dad,
And on his back they stay.
But does he ever get a card
Or gift for Father's Day?

My fourth graders enjoyed them. With the title, one wou
Becky B
Dec 16, 2013 Becky B rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bug units, Poetry teachers
Douglas Florian poetically introduces readers to a cast of creepy crawlies (mostly insects with a couple arachnids that snuck in).

Poetry is definitely Florian's prime gift. He is a definite wordsmith and the poems are delightful and creative descriptions of the bugs. The illustrations are a unique combination of watercolor and collage. I liked about half of them, and the other half I though maybe little kids had done the artwork for (but not according to the information). The poetry shines brigh
Oct 09, 2014 Pita-eater rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Simply delightful, even for this entomophobe.
The Brothers
Feb 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: insects, poems, poetry, science
Charming series of short poems about a variety of different bugs.

Interesting illustrations, not run-of-the-mill.
Apr 08, 2013 Yapha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of my all time favorite books of poetry by Douglas Florian. Each of the 21 poems is about a different type of insect, including weevils, mosquitoes, crickets, termites, and more. The poems have different rhythms, patterns, and shapes, and each suits the insect it is describing. The fabulous illustrations enhance the poems. The poems beg to be read aloud, but they can also be enjoyed individually.
Paul  Hankins
Insects take center stage in this 1998 collection of poems and paintings by Douglas Florian. Mix this one up with poetry collections about bugs and insects by Jane Yolen (BUG OFF: CREEPY, CRAWLY POEMS), Lee Bennett Hopkins (NASTY BUGS), and Helen Frost's STEP GENTLY OUT.

The Whirlygig Beetles poem would work nicely with JOYFUL NOISE and that wonderful poem for two voices about whirlygig beetles.
Jan 29, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
These inventive and playful poems describe different insects. In some instances, the style and shape of the poem matches the insect being described. Each poem is accompanied by a beautiful watercolor and collage illustration. Children will delight at how the illustrations illuminate points of the poems.
May 31, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I read "The Caterpillar." I liked how there was a play on words. For example, "She eats eight leaves at least to fill her, which LEAVES her like a Fatterpillar." It's humorous as well and has fun painted illustrations. This specific poem is also good to learn about parts of the life cycle of a butterfly.
Sandy Brehl
In large format images each full page illustration and related poem on the facing page challenge readers to explore, reread, and reconsider the insects that surround our lives. Excellent mentor text for a variety of poetry forms, figurative language, vocabulary, and symbolism.
Laura Madsen
Aug 06, 2013 Laura Madsen rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
Neat poems for kids about insects and arachnids. Creative illustrations.

My favorites:

Not gigan-tic.
Not roman-tic.
Not artis-tic.
Not majes-tic.
Not magne-tic.
Nor aesthe-tic.
Ticks are strictly parasi-tic.
Lee Corey
Jan 03, 2013 Lee Corey rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love the variety of insects covered and the artwork. There's interesting word choice for students to notice, and good integration of science facts in the poems. Some of the rhymes seem forced to me, but overall I really like this book.
Oct 16, 2013 Aimee rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, insects
These poems are fantastic! They are catchy, have great rhythm, and kids will love the creepy crawly descriptions of the bugs. This is a poetry book I definitely want in my classroom.
  • Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow
  • Doodle Dandies: Poems That Take Shape
  • A Strange Place to Call Home: The World's Most Dangerous Habitats & the Animals That Call Them Home
  • A Kick in the Head: An Everyday Guide to Poetic Forms
  • The Dream Keeper and Other Poems
  • Forest Has a Song: Poems
  • Hailstones and Halibut Bones
  • Falling Down the Page: A Book of List Poems
  • If I Were in Charge of the World and Other Worries: Poems for Children and Their Parents
  • The Other Way to Listen