Insectlopedia

Insectlopedia

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The windows are open and bugs are everywhere! Children will delight in this collection of twenty-one buggy poems - just don't forget the calamine lotion.
Published April 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Insectlopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Insectlopedia

L13_F Sandra
I am not big on insects but this book was so much fun to read. Many of the poems have rhythm. In The Army Ants poem it sounds like the ants are marching as you read the poem. Other poems are shaped like the insect or what the insect does and have rhythm.In the Inchworm you can almost see the inchworm moving up and down and in The Whirligig Beetles you can see the beetles gliding across water in circles. The illustrations were really well done. I liked them because they were cartoonish and nonthr...more
Arline
This book is a fun collection of poems about bugs. Each poem is short and sweet. I would use this book as practice for reading poetry out loud. Students can practice adding tone and timing to the poems to ceate the right mood. I would also use this book as a tool to show how to publish poetry. It shows how poets play with the layout of the text to add to the reading experience (The inchworm poem is one line that arcs across the paper like an inchworm.) This book also is also a fun way to learn a...more
Barbara
Twenty-one poems packed with word play and brimming with awe at the insect world pay tribute to a variety of insects, including the caterpillar, the daddy longlegs, the crickets, and the locusts, and the daddy longlegs, among others. My favorites include "The Inchworm" and "The Whirligig Beetles," two concrete poems, and "The Ticks," which concludes in typical Florian fashion, with "Ticks are strictly parasi-tic" (p. 45). The author/illustrator has created the stunning illustrations with waterco...more
Rainey
A great way to introduce children to bugs/science!
Chris Maynard
Student Name: Chris Maynard

Purpose: Poetry/Anthology (Wide Reading Project)

Genre: Poetry

Format: Picture Book

Grades: Pre-K to Primary

Subjects/Themes: See the bookshelves above.

School Use: Wow! Douglas Florian's 21 poems on insects would be perfect in the primary grades, especially in a science classroom studying insects. The poems are humorous (though some humor may be lost on children) and the paintings are eye-catching. I believe that young children would really enjoy the poems and learn a lot...more
Alex Tierney
Feb 22, 2012 Alex Tierney added it
Shelves: eced-221
Insectlopedia is about all different tyoes of insects and the types of things that they do. One poem is about an army of ants and how they roam around in a swarm. Another poem is about mosquitoes how what they look like and how they act. There is no real plot to the story, there are individual poems that have their own story.
The book has some poems that have rhyme and some that don't. For example, on poem says, "Upon a twig, I sit and pray, For something big, To wend my way." This is an example...more
Amanda Hamilton
Expressive poems about insects make up the content of Inseclopedia: Paintings and Poems by award-winning author Douglas Florian. Using a fun, narrative style, Florian presents life from an insect’s point of view in the 21 poems of this compilation.

The subject and writing style of Insectlopedia makes it attractive to readers in the middle elementary grades. A table of contents begins the book by listing its works; all titled by the word ‘The’ then the name of the insect. Insects included in the b...more
Annette
These sly, humorous poems seem to seize upon certain characteristics of insects and playfully, rhythmically exaggerate them. The mostly watercolor illustrations are delicate and surreal. My three children, especially the two boys, really enjoyed reading these poems aloud, for example, "The Weevils": "We are weevils./We are evil./We've aggrieved/Since time primeval..."
This would be fun to read while studying insects; the students could then write their own poems about insects. They could also use...more
Andrew Foster
Grade Level: Kindergarten - 2nd

What a fun book! I really liked this book. The poems were fun, but actually taught you something about the insect. Some of his poems are even shaped like the insect he wrote about. What an ingenious way of teaching about insects through poetry.

I could see a teacher using this as a bridge between science and ELA. A lesson plan can be easily incorporated to allow students to learn about insects and then write a poem based on their research. Instead of writing a resea...more
Bernadette
This collection of 21 poems all about insects covers hornets, mosquitoes, crickets, termites, and many more. There is a range of types or genres, and a unique painting accompanies each poem.

I like the paintings as much as I do the poems in this collection. I really like how each insect is given a personality, although it’s not so nice to call weevils evil!  I enjoyed Florian’s invented words such as fatterpillar and spiderobic. The concrete, or shape, poems were some of my favorites. Actually,...more
Robert
This is a well-put together book. The illustrations are beautiful and
the presentation of the poems very nice. Interestingly, the poems are
a little more child-oriented than the presentation would indicate.

The Giant Water Bug

The giant water bug can lug
His eggs upon his back.
He gives them extra care up there
And guards them from attack.
The mother glues them to the dad,
And on his back they stay.
But does he ever get a card
Or gift for Father's Day?

My fourth graders enjoyed them. With the title, one wou...more
Becky B
Dec 16, 2013 Becky B rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bug units, Poetry teachers
Douglas Florian poetically introduces readers to a cast of creepy crawlies (mostly insects with a couple arachnids that snuck in).

Poetry is definitely Florian's prime gift. He is a definite wordsmith and the poems are delightful and creative descriptions of the bugs. The illustrations are a unique combination of watercolor and collage. I liked about half of them, and the other half I though maybe little kids had done the artwork for (but not according to the information). The poetry shines brigh...more
Yapha
This is one of my all time favorite books of poetry by Douglas Florian. Each of the 21 poems is about a different type of insect, including weevils, mosquitoes, crickets, termites, and more. The poems have different rhythms, patterns, and shapes, and each suits the insect it is describing. The fabulous illustrations enhance the poems. The poems beg to be read aloud, but they can also be enjoyed individually.
Paul  Hankins
Insects take center stage in this 1998 collection of poems and paintings by Douglas Florian. Mix this one up with poetry collections about bugs and insects by Jane Yolen (BUG OFF: CREEPY, CRAWLY POEMS), Lee Bennett Hopkins (NASTY BUGS), and Helen Frost's STEP GENTLY OUT.

The Whirlygig Beetles poem would work nicely with JOYFUL NOISE and that wonderful poem for two voices about whirlygig beetles.
Angie
These inventive and playful poems describe different insects. In some instances, the style and shape of the poem matches the insect being described. Each poem is accompanied by a beautiful watercolor and collage illustration. Children will delight at how the illustrations illuminate points of the poems.
Jessica
I read "The Caterpillar." I liked how there was a play on words. For example, "She eats eight leaves at least to fill her, which LEAVES her like a Fatterpillar." It's humorous as well and has fun painted illustrations. This specific poem is also good to learn about parts of the life cycle of a butterfly.
Sandy Brehl
In large format images each full page illustration and related poem on the facing page challenge readers to explore, reread, and reconsider the insects that surround our lives. Excellent mentor text for a variety of poetry forms, figurative language, vocabulary, and symbolism.
Laura Madsen
Neat poems for kids about insects and arachnids. Creative illustrations.

My favorites:

THE TICKS

Not gigan-tic.
Not roman-tic.
Not artis-tic.
Not majes-tic.
Not magne-tic.
Nor aesthe-tic.
Ticks are strictly parasi-tic.
Lee Corey
Love the variety of insects covered and the artwork. There's interesting word choice for students to notice, and good integration of science facts in the poems. Some of the rhymes seem forced to me, but overall I really like this book.
Aimee
These poems are fantastic! They are catchy, have great rhythm, and kids will love the creepy crawly descriptions of the bugs. This is a poetry book I definitely want in my classroom.
Melissa Chilcote
I would have split up and made this a two part book. The children enjoyed it, but it seemed like it just kept going and going, thus causing them to loose interest by the end.
Rll52013_andrea
I love the genre crossover here between informational and poetry- great for Common Core. It is these types of books today that are redefining the genre of poetry!
Wendy
We used this book while learning about insects at preschool. The kids loved the pictures, and especially enjoyed the poem "The Whirligig Beetles."
Brandielle
Interesting art with simple poems (often in an unusual type pattern) about bugs. This could be good for kids at almost any age.
Diane
This was a big favorite in our home. My favorite is the Daddy Longlegs poem: Daddy-o, Daddy-o... Love it. Very clever.
Kitchengrrl
Completely awesome insect poetry! Very amusing for adults and children, great teaching tool for a variety of purposes.
Amy
This book has several poems about insects and bugs. Some poems are written in a creative way and some rhyme.
Nicole
I loved reading this to my kids. The artwork is great and the poems are very clever.
Andd Becker
There are 21 poems, three of which are shape poems. Be sure to read them aloud.
Suz
My students love Douglas Florian's poetry and illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Strange Place to Call Home: The World's Most Dangerous Habitats & the Animals That Call Them Home
  • National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar!
  • Forest Has a Song: Poems
  • Amazing Faces
  • Scranimals
  • In Daddy's Arms I Am Tall: African Americans Celebrating Fathers
  • The President's Stuck in the Bathtub: Poems About the Presidents
  • If I Were in Charge of the World and Other Worries: Poems for Children and Their Parents
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars: Space Poems and Paintings Dinothesaurus: Prehistoric Poems and Paintings UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings Poetrees Shiver Me Timbers!: Pirate Poems & Paintings