Start by marking “Bridget "Biddy" Mason: From Slave To Businesswoman” as Want to Read:
Bridget "Biddy" Mason: From Slave To Businesswoman

Bridget "Biddy" Mason: From Slave To Businesswoman

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  3 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
A biography profiling the life of Bridget "Biddy" Mason, a former slave who won her freedom in California, and later worked as a nurse and helped others. Includes source notes and timeline.
Published September 1st 2005 by Compass Point Books (first published August 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bridget "Biddy" Mason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridget "Biddy" Mason

Theresa
Nov 30, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it
I came across this book and was intrigued by Biddy Mason’s face on the cover—such determination and wisdom shone out. I’d never heard of her, so I read the book. It turns out that in 1818 Bridget was born a slave in Georgia and given no surname. Everyone called her Biddy.

Biddy was sold to another slave owner before she could know her parents. She was not allowed to learn to read or write. About 25 years later, she became the property of a plantation owner, Robert Smith. Smith kept moving his fam
Noelle Facio
Sep 16, 2016 Noelle Facio rated it really liked it
The book was about a very interesting person. I would of liked the book a little bit more if it wasn't so boring. The book was good overall but there were some parts of the book where it could of been better written. My favorite part of the book was when Biddy won her court case and is a free slave. I think the theme is that no matter how many people tell you you aren't good enough you keep going and don't give up on your dreams.
Sadie
Sadie rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
MCDS
MCDS added it
Mar 07, 2011
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2011
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2012