Defying the Odds (Battered Hearts, #1)

Defying the Odds (Battered Hearts #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  9,825 ratings  ·  659 reviews
When struggling waitress Melody Dylan gives a handsome, lonely stranger a simple gift she has no clue her life is about to take a drastic turn.

The stranger ends up being Clay Powers, a famous UFC heavyweight fighter. Clay’s large build and dangerous fists have always intimidated. People in his hometown keep their distance and Clay is fine with that. Everything changes when...more
Published December 20th 2011 by Loose Id

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireBared to You by Sylvia DayFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensOn Dublin Street by Samantha Young
Best Dysfunctional Romances
75th out of 321 books — 550 voters
Lover Awakened by J.R. WardAnnie's Song by Catherine AndersonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasLover Mine by J.R. WardBlue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas
Best Traumatized Heroines
53rd out of 353 books — 338 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
Solid 4 stars

Defying the Odds was the perfect book to start off the New Year!

I thoroughly enjoyed this emotional, endearing, fun, and heartfelt story. The cast of characters were multidimensional, engaging, and fantastically quirky. The hero and heroine were adorkable! Icouldn't seem to get enough of their fun dialogue and sizzling HOT chemistry. I'm definitelylooking forward to the next addition to this series.

Caution: There is quite a bit of descriptive violence in this book,as the hero is a h...more
Lisa Kay
[image error]
★★★★✩ Sweet and loaded with charm! This is a fast read, but that doesn’t make it any less H.O.T. Kudos to this “new-2-me-author” for making me care about these believable people in a relatively short amount of time. I’ll definitely be reading more of this author’s work.

Here is the little black polka-dot dress Clay bought for Melody:
description

These look like the shoes she got to go with the dress, as described in the book:
[image error]

However, I wanted her...more
Jill

Melody Dylan places a piece of pumpkin pie in front of a customer as a gift to him on Thanksgiving because she feels sorry for him eating alone. Divorced from her abusive husband Melody is trying to make a new life for herself waitressing in the small town of Garnet.

Clay Powers hates pumpkin pie. But he'll gag it all down so as to not embarrass the sweet, new waitress.

This is such a gorgeous romance and I can't think of anything in it to complain about. There were no hidden agendas, no misunder...more
Jae
Another one to my LOVVIT shelf. I loved everything about this book. The tender Hero, the down-on-her-luck heroine, the blabber mouth wing-man and most definitely the HOT smexings.

All were very yummy and my personal favourite was the shower sex. I cannot gush enough how scorching that was. Absolutely yummy!

Apart from that, there were many bleeding-heart moments between Clay and Melody that I just couldn't believe that for a guy who made a living out of beating people up (he was the UFC world cha...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

I'm keeping this short because there are already so many awesome reviews out there.

Defying the Odds is the first book in the Battered Hearts series and a very, very sweet story. In fact, it's uncommonly sweet given that it's also an extremely hot tale, and readers used to edgier erotica might miss that in with this story.

That said, I adored Clay and Melody and loved watching their relationship grow. Wyatt and Jules were also great, in an annoying family members kind of way.

I'm very much looking...more
Karla
A sweet romance that brings two people with troubled pasts into each other’s live. Clay was adorable, so big, so strong, and very humble. Melody senses his loneliness and offers up an act of kindness that touched him more than she realizes. No one has ever done anything for him, who didn’t want anything in return. Clay’s a wealthy, popular MMA fighter, and she doesn’t have a clue who he is or what he does. She’s been living a sheltered life and has escaped from an abusive marriage.

Considering t...more
Elizabeth (Liz)
This is the first in, what I hope is, a series from Kele Moon featuring current and former UFC fighters, set in the small town of Garnet.

Clay, our hero and current UFC World Heavyweight Champion, is adorable and verrrry sexy:) He's big, strong, tough, grumbly and gruff. But, underneath, he's a little bit of a softie as well. Melody, our heroine and (new) hardworking waitress at Hal's Diner, is lovely, kind, dealing with a hard past which is making for a hard present, and equally as strong as Cl...more
Ana
Melody came to the little town of Garnet to hide from her abusive ex-husband. She was charmed by the town and especially it's generous townspeople. She was just settling in, when she met Clay.

Melody's house

Who would've thought that one act of kindness (it was just a piece of pumpkin pie!) could change her life so dramatically.

Pumpkin pie!

Now she has this gorgeous fighter wanting to spend time with her. He's so nice and sweet, despite his appearance, and saying no to him is hard.

Clay is and UFC figther - that's Ultimat...more
Jennifer Kyle
Ladies and Gentlemen, in this corner we have... Clay "Powerhouse" Powers the UFC Heavyweight Champion of the World!

description

Clay is quiet, loyal and strong. He lives with Jules Conner and Wyatt Conner. Wyatt Conner is the town's sheriff and Jules is the town's only lawyer. The three share a business and they live together. The witty banter of their relationship is fun to read.

And in this corner... We have Melody Andrews a new waitress at Hal's Diner!

Melody is so real and so very likable! Her black gla...more
Duchess Nicole
"How'd this happen?" Melody asked in a stunned whisper..."We just met."
"I don't believe that," Clay argued as he turned her palm over in his and traced the lines of it with the pad of his finger. "I'm pretty sure we've known each other forever. Seeing you the first time was like coming home, and there ain't been anything to happen since that's disabused me of the notion."

Melody recently fled from her abusive husband after finally gaining the courage to run. She ends up in a small town that bree...more
Soraya
"Yes," he assured her without hesitation. "I thought I was broken too, that I'd never trust women, but I had it all wrong. I wasn't broken at all. I was just waiting for you. It's always been yours; even before we met, it belonged to you."

A sweet romance with the most loveable characters.

Melody, our open, sweet and strong heroine has escaped from her abusive ex without any possessions and decided to start over in a small town. She gets a job as a waitress in the local diner. When Clay, the UFC h...more
Nikki
4 stars.

A sweet read with no pretense or melodrama... it was so nice to get back to basics. And by basics I mean basics.

Clay and Melody meet, they find themselves attracted to each other, they become friendly, they communicate how they feel to one another, any baggage is discussed like adults and their love is so sweet, so pure, it made me purr like a kitten.

I love how this pulled no punches and defied the norm in terms of romance formulas. There were no games or misunderstandings, just emotion...more
Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.
~Maya Angelou

Aw, this one was just adorable.

It’s a beautiful story of how a simple act of kindness can bring two broken souls together.

Clay, a UFC champion fighter and lonely soul with abandonment issues, is sitting in a diner on Thanksgiving. The new waitress spots him looking lonely and buys him a piece of pumpkin pie even though she can ill afford to. She is Melody and she has ran from...more
Kelly
I absolutely loved this book! I was afraid it wouldn't be quite as good as "Star-Crossed" but it was just as good if not better. Clay and Melody were another perfect couple. I adored Melody! So loveable with her dimples and her cute little waitress uniform. How could you not root for her?

Bring on Wyatt's book!!!
♥~♥Geri♥~♥HatesLoveTriangles ♥~♥
3.5 stars!!

So this is what happens when you read a series backwards. This was supposed to be read first but once again, I jumped the gun and started Crossing the Line first and then Star Crossed before this one. And because of that, this only gets 3.5 from me since this book is nowhere as intense as the other two.

I still liked it but after the emotional angst packed in book 2 and 3, this one was a little tame for me. In hindsight, if I had started with this one first, I might give this a four....more
Joana

"Do you really believe in soul mates?"
"I do now."

photo tumblr_inline_mgom9wYO0S1rxwarf_zps0daf9bbe.gif

This story was just so lovely and sweet...and it all started with a piece of pie! Yumm.

Melody is the new waitress and on Thanksgiving night she notices Clay and how lonely he look.So she brings him a piece of pumpkin pie, the tab on her.
Clay is deeply moved by her gesture, since she gave him something not waiting anything in return...and he determined to eat the pie even if he hates pumpkin pie. How adorable is that?

The relationship seemed doo...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I seem to be in the minority here but this book didn't do much for me. I had to force my way through it. I'll give it that it was a sweet book but the plot development wasn't up to par in my honest opinion.

My first issue is that the characters seemed strangely immature to me. They acted like teenagers around each other and not like grown men and women. I'll read about teenagers in my young adult books, thanks. Another thing that I didn't like was that I felt like Clay and Melody went from nothi...more
Splage
4.5 - 5 stars.

Great story and characters. Who wouldn't want the World Champion UFC Mixed Martial Arts as your boyfriend and protector?? (especially when you have an abusive ex-husband still hunting you down) That is 6 feet 5 inches, 260 pounds of man meat who only has a gentle side for his heroine. My kind of guy! Best thing of all about Clay, he loved the heroine so much he actually teared up during tender moments. The heroine, Melody, was wonderful too. I loved that she didn't know anything ab...more
KatLynne
Short, H.O.T. and Sweet!

Clay Powers - "His eyes were dark as sin, and he was one of the biggest men she'd ever seen in person. She put him at six-five easily, with massive arms and a chest that was all muscle....He was sinfully beautiful with his soulful eyes."

Clay is a beautiful man and a sweetheart. He is one of those heroes that are very easy to love.

Melody Dylan has moved to this small town escaping an abusive ex-husband. Feeling downtrodden her focus is trying to make ends meet while sta...more
Spoiler Whore AKA Pimperella
"Go ahead." Clay's voice turned low and gravelly with sex. "Use it; fuck it. It belongs to you; own it."...aaaaand that right there my fellow readers is where I have a mad crush with Clay "Powerhouse" Powers.

Clay is a famous UFC fighter. He was abandoned by his mother at a young age. From this he has trust issues with women. Melody is a waitress in the small town on Garnet. Divorced from her abusive husband she tries to make ends meet with her new life. Slowly their chemistry builds into a sweet...more
Exina
Defying the Odds is the love story of a gruff heavyweight UFC champion with abandonment issues and a struggling waitress with an abusive ex-husband.

Melody has no idea who Clay is, and what UFC is. She is working hard, trying to be strong, but also very tired. She is fearful and overwrought. Considering all these things and her dreadful past, it is weird how open and chatty she is, and trusts in Clay immediately.

Clay is lonely, gruff, and unsociable, lives only for the fight. He is idolized, bu...more
NiteReader
A fantastic book! Loveable characters, scorching hot sex scenes and a good storyline. I can't believe it took me so long to read it!
*a shout out to Duchess Nicole for the rec*
Mimi Smith
4 stars

A sweet story by Kele Moon.

Melody has had a lot of ill luck in her life. Now she has decided to settle down and hide from her abusive ex-husband Justin. Working in a small town diner might not be everyone's definition of the American Dream, but it works for her. And when she sees Clay, looking lonely on Thanksgiving, she decides to do him a kindness. She buys him a pumpkin pie...

Clay, unused to kindness from nice women(says a lot about his exes), is instantly arrested by Mel. Enough so,...more
Michele ~ la Smoocherina
Loved this book! Clay was that rare alpha male who is not afraid to be vulnerable a little bit. I adored him. I loved the heroine! Melody was awesome. I believed the evolution of their love. I finish this book and find out Book 2 came out today! Wahoo! The sex scenes in this book were crazy hot, IMO. Love, love, loved it!
*P*u*r*p*l*e*
This review is posted on Way Too Hot Books.

This book sounded promising, especially after I read 2-3 paranormal romance books in a row and I really needed something more realistic to take a short break from the paranormal stuff. All in all, the book was o.k., nothing special. It was just a bit too poetic, romantic and sweet- not so realistic for my taste. Don't get me wrong- I love romance in books, but the romance here was so instant and it just lacked that *special spark.* And it was full of ch...more
Kellie G.
Loved this sweet, sexy story!! It was exactly what I was in the mood for.
Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!*
Spoiler Free Review
4 STARS out of 5
Genre: Contemporary Romance -Erotica
Book 1 in Battered Hearts series

" I didn't know there are people out there just waiting to help me out. You wouldn't believe how nice the ladies at the shelter were. They restored my faith in humanity 'cause most of 'em were just volunteering. They didn't get paid. They were there out of the kindness of their heart, and i sure wasn't gonna waste their effort by going back to Justin." - Melody in Defying the Odds

When Melody Dy...more
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

This story took me completely by surprise. I had been wanting to read a *sigh* worthy love story with some heat and this delivered. It’s the first story I’ve read with a hero that’s an Ultimate Fighting Champion. He’s known worldwide, but Melody doesn’t have a clue as to who Clay is the night she buys him a slice a pie at the diner she’s working in. It’s easy to say it’s love at first sight for these two.

Melody is running from an abusive ex-husband. She l...more
*Book-Lover*

Please excuse me while i applaud the author for the happy-butterfly in my tummy-smile on my lips-sedated sighing every minute feeling i get when i think about the book!!

Rate: 4/5 Stars
Favourite Steamy scene: THE WINDOW SCENE!!!!!!!!!
Favorite Heart-melting scene:Clay says to her upon meeting her for the first time--- "I like listening to you talk. Your voice is pretty. Sounds nice, like music or something"

Why doesn't anyone say those things to me?!!

Melody is a sweet, surprisingly honest, coura
Amy

“He felt blindsided by the pleasure and longing she churned up in him. He didn’t think he could want this badly or ache this deeply until they’d fallen into each other’s lives.”

Melody Dylan has escaped an abusive marriage and now set her roots in the small town of Garnet. Arriving with only the clothes on her back and her beat up truck, she takes a job at the local diner as a waitress in order to afford rent and daily necessities. Although she feels like she is emotionally “broken” given the abu...more
Are Clay and Melody in the 2nd book? 6 80 Dec 20, 2013 09:14AM
  • Wicked Game
  • 12 Rounds (Knockout, #1)
  • Faceoff (Heller Brothers, #2)
  • Liberating Lacey
  • Extreme Love (Love to the Extreme, #1)
  • Sheltered
  • Giving It Up (The Lost Girls, #1)
  • Skin Deep (I-Team, #5.5)
  • The Reluctant Nude
  • The Fighter's Block
  • Willing Victim
  • Embattled Minds (Lost and Found, #2)
  • Breathe (Colorado Mountain, #4)
  • Fallen from Grace
  • More than Meets the Ink (Bowen, #1)
  • Gray's Girl
  • Flirting with Disaster (Camelot, #3)
  • Talk to Me
A freckle-faced redhead born and raised in Hawaii, Kele Moon has always been a bit of a sore thumb and has come to enjoy the novelty of it. She thrives on pushing the envelope and finding ways to make the impossible work in her story telling. With a mad passion for romance, she adores the art of falling in love. The only rules she believes in is that, in love, there are no rules and true love know...more
More about Kele Moon...
Star Crossed (Battered Hearts, #2) Beyond Eden (Eden, #1) Crossing the Line (Battered Hearts, #3) Packing Heat Finding Eden (Eden, #2)

“Mel.”

“Hmm?”

“Don’t leave me again, okay?” Clay whispered in a voice choked with emotion as he pulled her tighter against him and tilted his head to rest his cheek on top of her head. “’Cause that ’bout killed me.”
21 likes
“Yes,” he assured her without hesitation. “I thought I was broken too, that I’d never trust women, but I had it all wrong. I wasn’t broken at all. I was just waiting for you. It’s always been yours; even before we met, it belonged to you.” 16 likes