Start by marking “The Sauder Diaries - By Any Other Name” as Want to Read:
The Sauder Diaries - By Any Other Name

The Sauder Diaries - By Any Other Name

The Sauder Diaries take place in an alternate-history Earth, in the year 1888. The Crimean War ended as a stalemate and Europe is divided along the Allied and Russian Imperial borders by the Scorchlands. Large sections of “civilized Europe” cannot be traveled due to bandits, renegade armies, and rogue mad science experiments.

Hans Sauder is the son of a German industrialist
Kindle Edition, Lazarus (Second)
Published June 16th 2012 by Avenger Press Services (first published December 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Sauder Diaries - By Any Other Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sauder Diaries - By Any Other Name

Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
258th out of 853 books — 3,922 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
107th out of 290 books — 838 voters

More lists with this book...

Chantal Boudreau
Dec 26, 2011 Chantal Boudreau rated it it was amazing
I read this first novel in The Sauder Diaries series chapter by chapter, before it had been published in ebook form, and despite not being a usual reader of steampunk, I truly enjoyed the adventures of Mr. Sauder and told Mr. Vaillancourt that he should seriously consider having his book published. The story is well thought out, his writing style is both comfortable and nevertheless gripping, and his characters are multi-dimensional, realistically flawed, and delightful.

The story follows our her
Jan 01, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I've tried the steampunk genre before, but couldn't find anything that really drew me into the whole steampunk mindset. All that changed when I downloaded The Sauder Diaries on a whim and devoured it over Christmas - as in, stayed-up-till-4am-and-lost-precious-sleep-because-the-book-wouldn't-let-me-go, kind of devouring. Michel's pirate-infused steampunk world is rooted in the historical fabric of Victorian Europe, but with his own distinct slant on how love, war, espionage and life would have c ...more
Daniel Swensen
Jan 31, 2012 Daniel Swensen rated it really liked it
Shelves: indies, urban-fantasy
Sauder Diaries: By Any Other Name reminds me of a cross between Jules Verne, Herman Melville and Robert E. Howard. There's action, adventure, and (very frustrating) romance. The characters are charming and diverse, and there are some truly terrific battle sequences.

The setting of the Bloody Rose crackles with detail -- Vaillancourt's engineering background really pays off in that department. Hans Sauder himself is such a straitlaced hero that sometimes I wanted to shout at him to loosen up a bi
Jan 28, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Michel Vaillancourt has got his genre pretty much completely wrapped up. Not that I've ever been a big reader of Steampunk, but as a lover of both adventure and Victorian fiction I thoroughly appreciated the way that the author uses Steampunk's idiosyncrasies, it's blending of modern technological advances with Victorian sensibilities to create a narrative that's not just delightfully old-school in its feel but also one that explores the disjunct of those two thing through its central characters ...more
S.l. Schmitz
Jan 21, 2012 S.l. Schmitz rated it really liked it
I recently read a novel which motivated me enough to write a new blogpost (amazing, eh?) so may I please introduce to you a new friend and a pretty darn good author- Michel R. Vaillancourt.

Michel R. Vaillancourt is a romantic swashbuckler of a novelist. Don’t believe me? Just look at his name – all Canadian French and romantic and full of dreamy syllables. He lives on an island, you know- Prince Edward Island, to be exact. How romantic is that?

The name “Michel” rolls off the tongue, causing one
Dec 31, 2012 edifanob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books, 2012-reads
I was not sure what to expect.
The result: a stor with twists and turns; characters with depths and development.
A world which is much more than just an alternate kind of Victorian England.
And yes, this is definitely a steampunk novel.
I can't wait to read the next book in the series.
My FULL REVIEW is now available here, on Amazon under my nick name brienneselwyn and on my blog Edi's Book Lighthouse

My Expectations
I must say the cover and the blurb created a certain atmosphere. I expected a fast pac
Melissa Conroy
Oct 04, 2012 Melissa Conroy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few days ago, this book appeared in an Amazon recognition email. I snagged a sample on Kindle, read maybe three paragraphs, then purchased it without delay. What drew me in immediately was Mr. Vaillancourt's excellent writing style and strong opening chapter. However, it was the meticulously described technical detail that has earned my highest praise. Few steampunk authors expend the research and thought into carefully describing the underworkings of their mechanical marvels - "The Sauder Dia ...more
Jenny Schwartz
Sep 02, 2012 Jenny Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Utterly absorbing. A story of honour and adventure.

Stylistically, works brilliantly that each chapter begins with an extract from Hans's diary, followed by the rollicking adventures.

It's a fine line to balance the harsh consequences of actions with hope and mercy. "By Any Other Name" does this well.

It's part coming-of-age, part quest ... and opens the door to a series that I hope we get many more of. The characters are complicated and appealing. The world is vivid.

Superb steampunk adventure!
May 06, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another foray into the steampunk world - I enjoyed it! Hans is kidnapped by pirates and many fun adventures ensue. This story was written in a more adult and subdued fashion than some of the others that I have read. I liked the steady pace, character development and deeper plot lines. It was still great fun and not a hard read (even though my Kobo started at 74% so I never knew where I was in the book).
Tim Baer
Jul 31, 2012 Tim Baer rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
After a wee bit of a slow start, this swashbuckling tale of an upper crust Englishman who gets kidnapped by some air pirates sails off on a magnificent adventure! A few minor errors that can be tweaked in later versions do not detract from this at all. My only complaint was that the ending was a tad rushed. Thus I knocked it down to 4 stars instead of 5. That aside, I am still waiting for the sequel. The author had best hurry before I ship him some highly caffeinated toddlers.
Andrew Peters
Aug 28, 2012 Andrew Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Elements of Jules Verne, along with pirates and technology reminiscent of an old TV series "The Wild Wild West"
Appealing characters, plenty of action.
I found the idea of combining excerpts from the main character's diary with a third person narrative a little repetitive, but it didn't spoil my enjoyment.
Looking forward to a sequel.
Apr 13, 2015 September rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book thoroughly entertaining and satisfying. It's true to form in the feel of the world of steampunk, with a pirate bonus! The characters are relatable, such that immersion is easily attained and you can enjoy the thrill ride as the story unfolds.
It's very well written,and clever by turns.
I happened upon this book as I entered a D&D game being run online by the author, to whom I was introduced my mutual acquaintances in World of Warcaft.
The writing and maps created for that wo
Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2012
Astrid rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2012
Melissa Conroy
Melissa Conroy rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Strato Tsontakis
Strato Tsontakis rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Sue Lyssa Stone Shaffer
Sue Lyssa Stone Shaffer rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2013
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2012
Dianne rated it did not like it
Jan 20, 2013
Giovanni Gelati
Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2012
Corinne Lewandowski
Corinne Lewandowski rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2014
Wendi (BrokenBinding)
Wendi (BrokenBinding) rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Susan rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2013
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2012
Jean-michel Vaillancourt
Jean-michel Vaillancourt rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2013
Goblin Boy
Goblin Boy rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2012
Trestle Press
Trestle Press rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2012
Tracey Ernst
Tracey Ernst rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2013
Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2013
Alex rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
To everyone that's been waiting to read it... 2 4 Sep 08, 2012 10:59AM
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Mars on the Rise (Veetu Industries, #1)
  • In An Iron Cage: The Magic of Steampunk
  • Thomas Riley
  • Like Clockwork
  • Alice's Adventures in Steamland: The Clockwork Goddess
  • The Wake of the Dragon: A Steampunk Adventure
  • Flaming London
  • The Mysterious Lady Law
  • An Airship Named Desire (Take to the Skies, #1)
  • Redemption (a steampunk romance)
  • Steampunk'd
  • The Chronological Man: The Monster In The Mist
  • The Exile's Violin (Tethys Chronicles, #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum (The Magnetron Chronicles, #1)
  • Homunculus (Narbondo, #2)
  • Geared for Pleasure (Elemental Steam #1)
  • Island of Icarus
In brief about me, I am forty-two years old, currently living in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada. My day job is CEO & Alpha-Geek for a video conference hosting company. I’m married, I have a son and I have been reading and writing for most of my life. I have been involved in Steampunk for two years and a fan of adventure stories since I was twelve.

You can find out more about me at
More about Michel R. Vaillancourt...