Gently By The Shore

Gently By The Shore (Chief Superintendent Gently #2)

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  26 reviews
You’ll find plenty of bodies stretched out on a summer beach – but they’re not usually dead...

In a British seaside holiday resort at the height of the season, you would expect to find a promenade and a pier, maybe some donkeys, ‘Kiss-Me-Quick’ hats, candy floss and kids building sandcastles. You would not expect to find a naked corpse, punctured with stab wounds, lying on...more
Published December 12th 2010 by Robinson (first published 1956)

Pauline Ross
The second in a very long series of British police procedurals (sort of) with all the faded charm of their post-war era - quaint references to Brown Windsor soup and jam roly-poly, diggings and National Service, plus a seaside town with two piers which haven’t yet been burnt down, and tourists who arrive by train on Saturday for a week’s full board. There’s a certain interest in these little details even without the murder mystery.

Other aspects haven’t worn quite so well. The writing style is no...more
Lorraine Webb
I was not sure what I would think of this, generally finding it unrewarding to read a book after first watching the screen version, but I have to say I really loved it, far more than the television programme of the same name (which I also love but which seems quite different). The setting was easy to visualise, the characters larger than life, and Gently a character I took to. I love the style of the writing, slightly dated, crafted, hinting to allow the imagination to create pictures rather tha...more
Rich Higbey
The second in the George Gently series. I found myself struggling to get in to this 'case' although that's not to say it isn't enjoyable. Hunter has done another good job in getting you to understand the importance of finding evidence etc back in that particular era. Gripping in parts and slow in others - this isn't to say it's not a good read and I'm sure to carry on with the series.
Judith Paterson
The TV series is little like the books; the books have less bite but are still enjoyable. They also give an insight into policing without radios, mobiles, DNA etc, just observation, deduction and knowledge of human nature. I love the TV series but the books have a charm and fascination as well.
Jane
A nice, gentle, well written murder mystery. Nothing like the TV series but probably all the better for that! Just wish the author would invent some better names for his fictional seaside towns!
Trawets
An easy read "who dunnit from Alan Hunter. Set and I imagine written in the late 1950's or early 1960's it's a product of it's time, East European spies with false beards, need I say more?
Irving
Alan Hunter's Inspector Gently series is an interesting detective series that focuses more on the process of making a case against the perpetrator rather than identifying the criminal.

Inspector Gently has some interesting passions that include chewing candy and a deep interest in food.

The plot is interesting and while the identity of the criminal is apparent quickly but evidence is limited and hence the process of getting the case closed is intriguing.
Bert Mccollum
'Gently by the Shore' by Alan Hunter is witty, well plotted and thoroughly enjoyable. When the body of a naked man washes up on the shore of the popular beach resort of Starmouth Chief Inspector Gently must deal with counterfeiters and spys, a prostitute and her "fancy man," a bookie and the village idiot. Only George Gently could sort out this lot and unravel the complex tale of greed and fanaticism that lies behind the body on the beach.
Clive Parkin
Cheerful enough, good depictions of seaside life. Not overly taxing and a quick read
Tom Zunder
I love the Gently novels for the view of the 1950s, not quite the England we know and not quite how we think the recent past was, either. The character is urbane, unhurried, likes a pipe and his peppermint creams. This one is a lovely bit of procedure in a seaside town with some burglaries, spivs and maybe, just maybe, some Soviet spies.

Dawn
A nice mid-century murder. it was a bit heavy going in spots and a bit thick on stereotypes and accents. Especially our Scottish sea captain. But I like Gently and I like these times too be because they resonate of my childhood spent on the south coast in faded genteel Worthington and the Kiss-me-quick Brighton pier.
Michele Thulborn-chapman
Well I did finally finish it....
It was an "okay" book and the character himself I quite liked but I only finished it to find out "who dunnit".

I don't think I will rush back to read any more unless perhaps I can find some of the TV episodes then I may change my mind...
Adrian Piazza
A slower age and detective who wants to get it right. If you want easy criminals, cardboard cut out baddies, find another series. Peopled by flawed, sad, corrupt individuals Gently mysteries draw you into a less cynical time, without sugary sweetness.
Lorraine
Wanted to see if the written was close to the tv series. Like them both but they are slightly different. I did find that the main character 'looked like' the fellow that plays him in the series.
Karen Henry
I saw the tv version of the Gently series before reading any of the books. I like the tv version better but I'm getting used to the book character and I like him.

An enjoyable read.
Terese Smith
Found it hard going - kept putting me to sleep - had enjoyed the TV series and wanted to read the book. Maybe try another to see if it is more engaging.
Pshorten
I never give up on books, love British settings and serials are the best; however, these books are slow and just a bit too slangy filled for me.
Jack
Charmingly old fashioned (but not in 1958 when it was written) whodunnit. Glad I enjoyed it as I have several more of the series.
Kelly
It was good to read a good old fashioned detective book written before the age of computers and mobile phones.
NC
I like this detective. Not great depth to this series, but fun anyway. Nice light read.
Andrea
Enjoyable, but again not quite gripping.
Nigel762
good old fashioned crime story
Caro
Apr 12, 2013 Caro marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Gently Does It is first in series
Ray
Another good Gently mystery.
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Shirley Evans
Shirley Evans is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Alan Hunter was an English author of crime fiction. All of his 46 novels feature Inspector George Gently and are mainly set in East Anglia.

Initially a farmer, he became an antiquarian bookseller before writing his first novel.
More about Alan Hunter...
Gently Does It Gently Down the Stream Landed Gently Gently Through The Mill Gently in the Sun