Start by marking “Gently By The Shore” as Want to Read:
Gently By The Shore

Gently By The Shore (Chief Superintendent Gently #2)

You’ll find plenty of bodies stretched out on a summer beach – but they’re not usually dead...

In a British seaside holiday resort at the height of the season, you would expect to find a promenade and a pier, maybe some donkeys, ‘Kiss-Me-Quick’ hats, candy floss and kids building sandcastles. You would not expect to find a naked corpse, punctured with stab wounds, lying on
Published December 12th 2010 by Robinson (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Gently By The Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gently By The Shore

Paul
Feb 13, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this second book in the George Gently series, the Inspector is actually working a case he's been assigned rather than stumbling across a murder whilst on holiday, as in the first book. Because of this, we meet his comically cockney partner in crime-fighting, Sergeant Dutt, for the first time.

I liked the addition of Dutt as he gives Gently somebody to bounce his ideas off and the interaction between the two of them is often amusing.

The plot of this one starts with a body being found on the bea
Pauline Ross
The second in a very long series of British police procedurals (sort of) with all the faded charm of their post-war era - quaint references to Brown Windsor soup and jam roly-poly, diggings and National Service, plus a seaside town with two piers which haven’t yet been burnt down, and tourists who arrive by train on Saturday for a week’s full board. There’s a certain interest in these little details even without the murder mystery.

Other aspects haven’t worn quite so well. The writing style is no
Hapzydeco
Alan Hunter’s George Gently, a well-developed character, makes for a pleasant read. Hunter has an excellent command of local dialects, but the plethora of accents may distract some readers. While a typical police procedural, the story does provide a dramatic ending.
Jon
Mar 22, 2017 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first George Gently mystery. If I had read it when it first came out some 60 years ago, I probably would have given it higher marks. Now it seems a bit dated. I like the George Gently TV series, and the character there is very much like the one here--calm, kind, stolid, slow to be swayed by the theories of other investigators, playing his cards close to his vest, but tough and pitiless when required. The setting is a seaside resort town in mythical Northshire, approximately Norfolk, where the ...more
Lorraine Webb
Jun 09, 2014 Lorraine Webb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was not sure what I would think of this, generally finding it unrewarding to read a book after first watching the screen version, but I have to say I really loved it, far more than the television programme of the same name (which I also love but which seems quite different). The setting was easy to visualise, the characters larger than life, and Gently a character I took to. I love the style of the writing, slightly dated, crafted, hinting to allow the imagination to create pictures rather tha ...more
Lulu
Sep 21, 2016 Lulu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
comfy reading for autumn days
Lindahawkes
I loved starting this series. I found Inspector Gently much better than the TV Series. He has a quiet way about him and his humor is quite dry as you would expect of the British. The mystery was gripping and keeps you on your toes trying to "solve" it right up close to the end, when Gently is about to reveal the culprit. He reminds me of Lt. Columbo, in that he acts as though he is not quite sure and appears to be a bit shy, but that is just his character and way. He really is acknowledgedly one ...more
Wayne
Jun 24, 2015 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always like to have an escape from modern crime fiction with a Gently.
In a world where it's all about brutal murder, thrilling chases, heroes who can kick some ass (and play by their own rules), sex scenes and glamorous locations it's nice to land on a British beach, bit of sun, bit of rain and an old school copper who sticks to the rule book, uses his mouth rather than his fists and thinks things through.
It's always going to be more "midsummer murders" as opposed to "se7en" but sometimes that m
Irving
Dec 17, 2013 Irving rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enjoyed
Alan Hunter's Inspector Gently series is an interesting detective series that focuses more on the process of making a case against the perpetrator rather than identifying the criminal.

Inspector Gently has some interesting passions that include chewing candy and a deep interest in food.

The plot is interesting and while the identity of the criminal is apparent quickly but evidence is limited and hence the process of getting the case closed is intriguing.
Mumbler
Feb 14, 2016 Mumbler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the first book, the background to everything is the world of popular entertainments. sometimes it's the foreground, maybe even more than the last. maybe the picture of seaside holidays is just a bit more empty and chilly than I'd like. gently & his work are very much like the first one; some stuff is too similar. but his assistant Dutt was a new fun character. and Hunter has a great sense for the climax needing special locations.
Bert Mccollum
Jul 21, 2013 Bert Mccollum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Gently by the Shore' by Alan Hunter is witty, well plotted and thoroughly enjoyable. When the body of a naked man washes up on the shore of the popular beach resort of Starmouth Chief Inspector Gently must deal with counterfeiters and spys, a prostitute and her "fancy man," a bookie and the village idiot. Only George Gently could sort out this lot and unravel the complex tale of greed and fanaticism that lies behind the body on the beach.
MrsCordial
I'm really enjoying the George Gently series. I liked the TV series and was intrigued that that the original books were set so differently and without Bacchus, so read the first one out of curiosity. The character of Gently is recognisable but nothing else, but the book was still a good read. I particularly enjoyed Alan Hunter's writing. It can be very poignant in a way that reminded me of Philip Larkin at times.
Tom Zunder
Apr 21, 2012 Tom Zunder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Gently novels for the view of the 1950s, not quite the England we know and not quite how we think the recent past was, either. The character is urbane, unhurried, likes a pipe and his peppermint creams. This one is a lovely bit of procedure in a seaside town with some burglaries, spivs and maybe, just maybe, some Soviet spies.

Dawn
Dec 17, 2013 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-goodreads
A nice mid-century murder. it was a bit heavy going in spots and a bit thick on stereotypes and accents. Especially our Scottish sea captain. But I like Gently and I like these times too be because they resonate of my childhood spent on the south coast in faded genteel Worthington and the Kiss-me-quick Brighton pier.
Rich
May 14, 2014 Rich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in the George Gently series. I found myself struggling to get in to this 'case' although that's not to say it isn't enjoyable. Hunter has done another good job in getting you to understand the importance of finding evidence etc back in that particular era. Gripping in parts and slow in others - this isn't to say it's not a good read and I'm sure to carry on with the series.
Adrian Piazza
Jul 20, 2013 Adrian Piazza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slower age and detective who wants to get it right. If you want easy criminals, cardboard cut out baddies, find another series. Peopled by flawed, sad, corrupt individuals Gently mysteries draw you into a less cynical time, without sugary sweetness.
Judith Paterson
The TV series is little like the books; the books have less bite but are still enjoyable. They also give an insight into policing without radios, mobiles, DNA etc, just observation, deduction and knowledge of human nature. I love the TV series but the books have a charm and fascination as well.
Michele Thulborn-chapman
Well I did finally finish it....
It was an "okay" book and the character himself I quite liked but I only finished it to find out "who dunnit".

I don't think I will rush back to read any more unless perhaps I can find some of the TV episodes then I may change my mind...
Jc
Aug 28, 2016 Jc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second of the original George Gently mysteries. This one I think is even better than the first, with great characters and interesting scenery. I look forward to reading more of these. This one was first published in 1956, just a year after Hunter introduced us to Gently.
Janice
Didn't like this book as much as book #1 in the Inspector Gently mystery series. It felt cumbersome and difficult to read. One bright spot in the story was the Cafe luncheon scene with the waiter, and I thought it had a good ending.
Natasha
Feb 17, 2016 Natasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Gently begins to investigate after the naked body of an unidentified man is discovered on a beach.

There's all kinds of goings on, from prostitutes to spies, although I'm pretty sure peppermint creams are mentioned a bit less in this story than the previous one!
Shirley Evans
Didn't finish this book. It was quite dull and I expected more after watching the excellent TV series
Katharina
Aug 10, 2015 Katharina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystery set in 1950's Britain with my favorite detective, George Gently. Period details are a delight. Gently's character is wonderfully understated.
Netti
Aug 08, 2015 Netti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimi, british
Geheimagenten und phantastische kriminelle Organisationen sind nicht so mein Ding... aber ansonsten ein schöner altmodischer britischer Krimi.
Verity W
So clever. You know who did it (or at least I did very early on) but it's all about the catch and the trap. Really enjoying these. Straight on to number 3!
Pshorten
Sep 16, 2013 Pshorten rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
I never give up on books, love British settings and serials are the best; however, these books are slow and just a bit too slangy filled for me.
Lorraine
Dec 20, 2013 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wanted to see if the written was close to the tv series. Like them both but they are slightly different. I did find that the main character 'looked like' the fellow that plays him in the series.
Terese Smith
Found it hard going - kept putting me to sleep - had enjoyed the TV series and wanted to read the book. Maybe try another to see if it is more engaging.
Jane
Apr 01, 2014 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, gentle, well written murder mystery. Nothing like the TV series but probably all the better for that! Just wish the author would invent some better names for his fictional seaside towns!
Trawets
An easy read "who dunnit from Alan Hunter. Set and I imagine written in the late 1950's or early 1960's it's a product of it's time, East European spies with false beards, need I say more?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Sweet Poison (Lord Edward Corinth and Verity Browne, #1)
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
  • Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple, #20)
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain (Inspector Carlyle #2)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Telling Tales (Vera Stanhope, #2)
  • River of Shadows
  • The Case of the Angry Mourner
  • Bridget and Joan's Diary
  • The Bone is Pointed (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, #6)
  • The Abyssinian Proof (Kamil Pasha, #2)
  • In the Meantime
  • Sanctuary: A Short Story
  • Carte Blanche
121979
Alan Hunter was born at Hoveton, Norfolk and went to school across the River Bure in Wroxham. He left school at 14 and worked on his father's farm near Norwich. He enjoyed dinghy sailing on the Norfolk Broads, wrote natural history notes for the local newspaper, and wrote poetry, some of which was published while he was in the Royal Air Force during the Second World War.

He married, in 1944, Adelai
More about Alan Hunter...

Chief Superintendent Gently (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Gently Does It