Start by marking “On Meadowview Street” as Want to Read:
On Meadowview Street

On Meadowview Street

Caroline lives on Meadowview Street. But where's the meadow? Where's the view? There's nothing growing in her front yard except grass. Then she spots a flower and a butterfly and a bird and Caroline realizes that with her help, maybe Meadowview Street can have a meadow after all.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 4/24/2007 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 4 an
Published May 1st 2007 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about On Meadowview Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Meadowview Street

Kathryn
Feb 21, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those seeking proactive environmental books for kids
Finally! An "environmental message" book that is actually positive and shows something that kids (and their parents) can do in their own yard to help make the world a greener, more natural place!
Steve Holden
May 13, 2016 Steve Holden rated it really liked it
*A new year and another year winding down with a unit on positive change. My class this year loved this story! The illustrations tell a wonderful story, and the text plays a supporting role. When a family moves to Meadowview Street, a young girl named Caroline becomes curious if there's actually meadow on the street. When there isn't, she takes action, and sets forth a change for the entire street.

This is a great part of our unit on positive changes and impacts on our environment. It focuses on
Rosita
This is a sweet story book for a small group to be read to in the age of 3-7 years-old. Carolina has explore a mayflower in her yard. The illustration is well done with colorful pictures and family friendly. Carolina enjoy taking care of her garden as she was experiencing different kind colors everywhere and species. Carolina perserve her yard by adding a trees, two ponds, and several wrens for the birds. Caroline and her family worked on the yard, there were more changes and different creatures ...more
Britta
Apr 27, 2013 Britta rated it it was amazing
Best environmental kid's book I've seen so far. I've heard it said that suburban developments and streets are named after what was destroyed to build them. This girl's house is on such a street, but, little by little, she adds native flowers, trees and shrubs, (while her Dad sells the lawn mower!), and turns her yard back into meadow! She and her dad add a pond and a bird house as well, and many native animals return. Soon other neighbors are doing the same.

We live this book because we went thro
Yi-ching
Aug 13, 2007 Yi-ching rated it it was amazing
Caroline and her family moved into their new house on Meadowview Street. Noticing a small blossom in the yard, Caroline made a wildflower preserve. Following by planting a maple tree, building birdhouses, and building a pond, Caroline and her family made their yard a home to many things. Their neighbors also started to transform their yards. It's a great story showing children that they are never too small to do anything, and they are able to make a difference. The illustrations show that Caroli ...more
Lisa Vegan
Dec 19, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book with beautiful illustrations. I loved the message about making a home for animals and plants right in your own backyard. I love how Caroline starts by saving one flower then building on that and creating a paradise out of what started as a manicured lawn. And when Meadowview Street is transformed it is a very appealing place. This is a great book for nature lovers and for letting children know that they can make a difference if they speak up about and then do some work on s ...more
Anners
Jun 11, 2010 Anners rated it it was amazing
When Caroline moves to Meadowview street, she realizes something strange: there's no meadow anywhere to be found! So she promptly sets out to create her own, bit by bit, starting with a single flower, until gradually, her lawn is transformed into a gorgeous, sprawling meadow. Eventually her neighbors follow suit, and before she knows it, she's brought the meadow back to Meadowview street.

This eco-friendly picture book demonstrates how even a small step in the right direction can make a differen
Rebecca
Jul 20, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I for one would have preferred the freshly mowed lawn.
Carla
Apr 27, 2015 Carla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plants-children
I first learned of On Meadowview Street in a preschool nature program at Elkhart County Parks. I loved how one girl who chose to protect a flower could influence her whole neighborhood. That theme of there being good things in this world and actually being the good has resonated with me the last several years. What we do matters.

On Meadowview Street, by Henry Cole, describes the tale of a young girl moving to a new neighborhood. Having moved probably twenty times in my forty years of life, I ins
Julia Jasztal
Jan 26, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it liked it
Mommy's review from 11/26/11 -

3.5 - Even though this isn't the shortest story we've ever read - by a long shot - I'd have liked it to be a little more in depth. Not much, just a very little bit.
The story really is a good one. The story begins with Caroline moving to a new house on Meadowview St. and finding her backyard kind of plain. While outside in the yard one day while her father cuts the grass Caroline spots a wildflower and protects it.
(She very easily convinces her dad to leave a huge p
Kathy Gunn
Mar 18, 2015 Kathy Gunn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
(2007)

Caroline and her family moves to a new house on a Meadowview Street. But where's the meadow? She finally spots a new blossom which she decides to protect from the lawn mower. It wasn't long before her preserve got bigger and bigger, and Dad finally decided to sell the lawn mower. They put in a pond and a tree, and soon, there were lawn mowers for sale and meadows up and down Meadowview Street.

Themes: Conservation, meadow habitat, family working together.

Ideas:Art-Disign a garden for your s
Jared White
I really enjoyed this book and someday I want an atypical "lawn," kind of like the little girl creates...but I worry that some kids will read this and think it's that easy to change your yard into a meadow. But sometimes, even if you dig out all the grass and plant wildflower seeds, a whole lot of grass and weeds come up, too, and almost overtake the wildflowers. I guess it depends on where you live. I also know, unfortunately, some homeowners associations probably wouldn't allow you to do this ...more
Connie
Mar 06, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
Caroline has moved into her new home, on the optimistically named "Meadowview Street". (There's no meadow, and not much view.)

However, she notices a wildflower in her yard and quickly makes a small wildflower preserve... which grows, and grows, eventually including trees and a pond. As it grows, it becomes attractive to wildlife, and her neighbors are all taken in and make their own meadows.

It's a pretty book, and the message isn't as anvilicious as it might be. You know what it reminds me off,
Larissa Langsather
Feb 07, 2014 Larissa Langsather rated it it was amazing
Mom: A little girl named Caroline moves to a new neighborhood on Meadowview Street and ends up creating a whole neighborhood meadow in the process. This is the kind of yard I ALWAYS wanted to have as a kid but my dad said was too unorganized- and also in my dad's defense was probably not something do-able because we were renting and didn't actually OWN the land where we lived. We were probably required to keep it neat and tidy, but I didn't know that nor was that concept ever explained to me.
Gir
Carissa
Apr 23, 2013 Carissa rated it really liked it
4. Suburban life--Fiction = correct. While this story is endearing and I love the idea, this wouldn't happen in a covenant-controlled suburban neighborhood. Sad. This is something I have been trying to talk a couple family members into doing, since they live out in the country. Who cares what your lawn looks like? Part of their lawn (about an acre) is now like this and they mow a little path that winds around in it. It's quite pleasant.
Yapha
Apr 01, 2012 Yapha rated it it was amazing
As Caroline wonders if there really is a meadow on Meadowview Street, she finds a wildflower in her front yard. She creates a little preserve for it, that grows, and grows until, you guessed it, there really is a meadow on Meadowview Street! This sweet book has a great message, but doesn't hit you over the head with it. It makes a great read aloud to a group, or for sharing one-on-one. But beware -- you may want to turn your yard into a meadow after reading this!
Heather
Jan 24, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Beware that this book might inspire kids to badger their parents to sell their lawn mowers and turn their yards into meadows! But it is a wonderful story to get children thinking more critically about the subject of land use and how our lawns and yards are not the natural state for land to be in and what that means for our relationship with the land and natural elements. Great read and really gets interesting responses from kids as it starts to make them think and ask questions.
Sonya Huser
K-2 Indiana Suggested Summer Reading List
A girl moves to a new house on a street called "Meadowview." Being in a new subdivision, the yard has no view of a meadow, or any vegetation to speak of at all really. She convinces her parents to let her preserve part of the yard for wildflowers, and then eventually the preserve gets bigger and bigger until the whole yard is a 'meadow.' Jealous neighbors follow suit.
M Lee
Caroline family moved to a new house on Meadowview Street with a large yard. As her dad was mowing, Caroline saw a nice flower and decided to preserve it. This turns into a long project that eventually converts the yard into a beautiful meadow with maple trees, a pond, and bird houses, and homes to many things.

The story and drawings are beautiful and express the deep love of gardens and nature. It got me excited on what I can do with my yard.

Monica Ibrahim
May 15, 2014 Monica Ibrahim rated it it was amazing
With spring finally here this would be such a nice book to read to your students. It is about a little girl that moves to a new neighborhood, her street is called "Meadowview" and even before exploring her neighborhood she starts caring for one flower which blooms and soon her yard transforms into a meadow. Her work inspires her neighbors and others around her including her own mom and dad. I loved this book I hope you all do too!
Susan
Feb 28, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, touching story that gives a strong environmental message in a very gentle way. I enjoyed that that protagonist, Caroline, was a girl but one who built birdhouses and ponds with her dad while also sitting quietly and enjoying the birds, butterflies, and other insects that came to the garden. I also enjoyed the message that one person/family CAN make a difference. Finally, the illustrations make a beautiful accompaniment to the story.
GraceAnne
Jan 29, 2008 GraceAnne rated it really liked it
Lovely, and not at all preachy: a gentle paean to the joys of growing things, especially things that do not involve mowing.

I have never grasped the fascination with manicured lawns: I live in NYC but at its edges, and we have always had a place with a bit of land about it. Meadows are glorious, and a tiny patch of flowering weedery is rather more fun than a green and even lawn. This picture book tells all of that lucidly and with warmth.
Tim
Sep 29, 2013 Tim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I've read some good kids book with good environmental messages, but this one somehow avoids the doom and gloom that others fall into.
A family moves into a new house in a homogenous suburb. When the little girl finds a wildflower in the lawn, she creates an ecological preserve around it. The preserve eventually grows to include the whole yard and they develop it into a place where animals can live.
Great pictures too!
Library Lady Terri
This was the Family Read for the Longwood Reads program for 2016.

The story of Caroline changing her community is truly inspiring. We read it at every preschool story time in the month of March and then had the children help transform our library to their own meadow. The 5 & 6 year old book group read the book as well and they saw a different aspect of Caroline and her community engagement.

Elizabeth
May 06, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
My husband picked this up when he took our daughter to the library. What a great book! I love it because it's what we try do with home-make it a habitat for wildlife. I think it's so important for people to feel connected to nature and the world around them, and most people really aren't. If kids are brought up that way, I think it can change the world, and this book is so great to show kids how you can make your own little piece of the earth a healthy habitat.
Rachel Yingling
This is a nice story that shares the message with the reader that one person really can make a difference in the world. Caroline lives in a house on Meadowview Street that does not have a meadow. She decides to change that and starts planting plants. She is able to create a meadow that the whole neighborhood appreciates.
Michele
May 30, 2011 Michele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book. I read it every spring to my first graders. It is a simple way of showing ways in which nature can be introduced into even the most sterile of backyards. I love how it ends with pictures of various animals that can be found in a backyard. We end our storytime with each students sharing different animals they have seen here in our town.
Cathy
Mar 08, 2011 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Wonderful to share for earth day! A young girl moves to a new house and changes her yard into a preserve. Beginning with one lone flower, and then adding trees (for shade), homes (for the birds) and water (for the birds and butterflies and insects) the yard transforms into a meadow, inspiring the neighbors to do the same.
Melissa
Jun 23, 2010 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Wish I could get away with doing this in my yard! Nice little story about cause-and-effect in the environment; it reminds me of the National Wildlife Federation's "Certified Wildlife Habitat" program. http://www.nwf.org/Get-Outside/Outdoo...
Clarissa
May 02, 2010 Clarissa rated it it was amazing
Delightful. I love the illustrations in this book and it captured the imaginations of my daughers (aged 5 and 8). They already enjoy nature/creation study and this inspired some fresh observing and even some drawing!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Curious George Plants A Tree
  • The Curious Garden
  • An Egg Is Quiet
  • The Wolves Are Back
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Fluffy and Baron
  • The Raft
Per back cover: He is a dandy dresser, but he does need to don his dentures when dining out. Illustrated many books for children. He lives in Virginia.
More about Henry Cole...