Start by marking “On Meadowview Street” as Want to Read:
On Meadowview Street

On Meadowview Street

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Caroline lives on Meadowview Street. But where's the meadow? Where's the view? There's nothing growing in her front yard except grass. Then she spots a flower and a butterfly and a bird and Caroline realizes that with her help, maybe Meadowview Street can have a meadow after all.
Published May 1st 2007 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about On Meadowview Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Meadowview Street

Miss Rumphius by Barbara CooneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownThe Gardener by Sarah StewartPlanting a Rainbow by Lois EhlertGrandpa Green by Lane Smith
Picture Books About Gardens
13th out of 174 books — 81 voters
The Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Great Kapok Tree by Lynne CherryOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Carrot Seed by Ruth KraussUno's Garden by Graeme Base
"Green" Picture Books
19th out of 144 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Feb 21, 2009 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those seeking proactive environmental books for kids
Finally! An "environmental message" book that is actually positive and shows something that kids (and their parents) can do in their own yard to help make the world a greener, more natural place!
Rosita
This is a sweet story book for a small group to be read to in the age of 3-7 years-old. Carolina has explore a mayflower in her yard. The illustration is well done with colorful pictures and family friendly. Carolina enjoy taking care of her garden as she was experiencing different kind colors everywhere and species. Carolina perserve her yard by adding a trees, two ponds, and several wrens for the birds. Caroline and her family worked on the yard, there were more changes and different creatures ...more
Britta
Best environmental kid's book I've seen so far. I've heard it said that suburban developments and streets are named after what was destroyed to build them. This girl's house is on such a street, but, little by little, she adds native flowers, trees and shrubs, (while her Dad sells the lawn mower!), and turns her yard back into meadow! She and her dad add a pond and a bird house as well, and many native animals return. Soon other neighbors are doing the same.

We live this book because we went thro
Yi-ching
Caroline and her family moved into their new house on Meadowview Street. Noticing a small blossom in the yard, Caroline made a wildflower preserve. Following by planting a maple tree, building birdhouses, and building a pond, Caroline and her family made their yard a home to many things. Their neighbors also started to transform their yards. It's a great story showing children that they are never too small to do anything, and they are able to make a difference. The illustrations show that Caroli ...more
Lisa Vegan
This is a lovely book with beautiful illustrations. I loved the message about making a home for animals and plants right in your own backyard. I love how Caroline starts by saving one flower then building on that and creating a paradise out of what started as a manicured lawn. And when Meadowview Street is transformed it is a very appealing place. This is a great book for nature lovers and for letting children know that they can make a difference if they speak up about and then do some work on s ...more
Anners
When Caroline moves to Meadowview street, she realizes something strange: there's no meadow anywhere to be found! So she promptly sets out to create her own, bit by bit, starting with a single flower, until gradually, her lawn is transformed into a gorgeous, sprawling meadow. Eventually her neighbors follow suit, and before she knows it, she's brought the meadow back to Meadowview street.

This eco-friendly picture book demonstrates how even a small step in the right direction can make a differen
Rebecca
I for one would have preferred the freshly mowed lawn.
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 11/26/11 -

3.5 - Even though this isn't the shortest story we've ever read - by a long shot - I'd have liked it to be a little more in depth. Not much, just a very little bit.
The story really is a good one. The story begins with Caroline moving to a new house on Meadowview St. and finding her backyard kind of plain. While outside in the yard one day while her father cuts the grass Caroline spots a wildflower and protects it.
(She very easily convinces her dad to leave a huge p
S.K.
Can you imagine living next to someone who let their front yard turn into a meadow? Wow...if only it turned out as beautifully as the book's illustration of flowers blooming, ponds, and wild critters. More likely,it's weeds going to seed, stagnant water, and rampant rats! Yes, I'm jaded. Reading this to my children made me shake my head...the father put a 'for sale' sign on his lawn mower? Oh brother.

Obviously, I'm not the target audience for this book. I didn't care for the story, the message,
Heather
Beware that this book might inspire kids to badger their parents to sell their lawn mowers and turn their yards into meadows! But it is a wonderful story to get children thinking more critically about the subject of land use and how our lawns and yards are not the natural state for land to be in and what that means for our relationship with the land and natural elements. Great read and really gets interesting responses from kids as it starts to make them think and ask questions.
Monica Ibrahim
With spring finally here this would be such a nice book to read to your students. It is about a little girl that moves to a new neighborhood, her street is called "Meadowview" and even before exploring her neighborhood she starts caring for one flower which blooms and soon her yard transforms into a meadow. Her work inspires her neighbors and others around her including her own mom and dad. I loved this book I hope you all do too!
Larissa Langsather
Mom: A little girl named Caroline moves to a new neighborhood on Meadowview Street and ends up creating a whole neighborhood meadow in the process. This is the kind of yard I ALWAYS wanted to have as a kid but my dad said was too unorganized- and also in my dad's defense was probably not something do-able because we were renting and didn't actually OWN the land where we lived. We were probably required to keep it neat and tidy, but I didn't know that nor was that concept ever explained to me.
Gir
Stacy Kirkman
Yay! A book where the parents give the child creative reign over the yard. Her conservation attempts spread throughout the neighborhood.
Connie
Caroline has moved into her new home, on the optimistically named "Meadowview Street". (There's no meadow, and not much view.)

However, she notices a wildflower in her yard and quickly makes a small wildflower preserve... which grows, and grows, eventually including trees and a pond. As it grows, it becomes attractive to wildlife, and her neighbors are all taken in and make their own meadows.

It's a pretty book, and the message isn't as anvilicious as it might be. You know what it reminds me off,
Callie
One little wildflower saved can lead to a big difference!
Yapha
As Caroline wonders if there really is a meadow on Meadowview Street, she finds a wildflower in her front yard. She creates a little preserve for it, that grows, and grows until, you guessed it, there really is a meadow on Meadowview Street! This sweet book has a great message, but doesn't hit you over the head with it. It makes a great read aloud to a group, or for sharing one-on-one. But beware -- you may want to turn your yard into a meadow after reading this!
Elizabeth
My husband picked this up when he took our daughter to the library. What a great book! I love it because it's what we try do with home-make it a habitat for wildlife. I think it's so important for people to feel connected to nature and the world around them, and most people really aren't. If kids are brought up that way, I think it can change the world, and this book is so great to show kids how you can make your own little piece of the earth a healthy habitat.
Carissa
4. Suburban life--Fiction = correct. While this story is endearing and I love the idea, this wouldn't happen in a covenant-controlled suburban neighborhood. Sad. This is something I have been trying to talk a couple family members into doing, since they live out in the country. Who cares what your lawn looks like? Part of their lawn (about an acre) is now like this and they mow a little path that winds around in it. It's quite pleasant.
GraceAnne
Lovely, and not at all preachy: a gentle paean to the joys of growing things, especially things that do not involve mowing.

I have never grasped the fascination with manicured lawns: I live in NYC but at its edges, and we have always had a place with a bit of land about it. Meadows are glorious, and a tiny patch of flowering weedery is rather more fun than a green and even lawn. This picture book tells all of that lucidly and with warmth.
Ashley
Love that it's a permaculture story for kids
Tim
Sep 29, 2013 Tim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I've read some good kids book with good environmental messages, but this one somehow avoids the doom and gloom that others fall into.
A family moves into a new house in a homogenous suburb. When the little girl finds a wildflower in the lawn, she creates an ecological preserve around it. The preserve eventually grows to include the whole yard and they develop it into a place where animals can live.
Great pictures too!
Sonya Huser
K-2 Indiana Suggested Summer Reading List
A girl moves to a new house on a street called "Meadowview." Being in a new subdivision, the yard has no view of a meadow, or any vegetation to speak of at all really. She convinces her parents to let her preserve part of the yard for wildflowers, and then eventually the preserve gets bigger and bigger until the whole yard is a 'meadow.' Jealous neighbors follow suit.
Michele
I love this book. I read it every spring to my first graders. It is a simple way of showing ways in which nature can be introduced into even the most sterile of backyards. I love how it ends with pictures of various animals that can be found in a backyard. We end our storytime with each students sharing different animals they have seen here in our town.
Rachel Yingling
This is a nice story that shares the message with the reader that one person really can make a difference in the world. Caroline lives in a house on Meadowview Street that does not have a meadow. She decides to change that and starts planting plants. She is able to create a meadow that the whole neighborhood appreciates.
Cathy
Wonderful to share for earth day! A young girl moves to a new house and changes her yard into a preserve. Beginning with one lone flower, and then adding trees (for shade), homes (for the birds) and water (for the birds and butterflies and insects) the yard transforms into a meadow, inspiring the neighbors to do the same.
Melissa
Wish I could get away with doing this in my yard! Nice little story about cause-and-effect in the environment; it reminds me of the National Wildlife Federation's "Certified Wildlife Habitat" program. http://www.nwf.org/Get-Outside/Outdoo...
Gwen the Librarian
When Caroline moves to her new house on Meadowview Street, she wonders "Where is the meadow?" A flower growing in the grass of her yard inspires Caroline to create a wildflower preserve. As one discovery leads to another, Caroline learns that we all can find nature in our own backyards.
Natalie
By first stopping her dad from moving over a flower, Caroline inspires her family to let their lawn grow wild. This invites plant and animal life to flourish there and inspires some of the neighbors to do the same with their previously unsustainable suburban lots.
Rachel
Quaint and idealic. Speaks to the Thoreau inside of each of us "subdivision captives", who long to be in the country instead. In reality the CC&R's would have a fit and we'd end up with the title unkempt, not meadow loving.=) A lovely dream, just the same.
Erin
Synopsis: Girl preserves lone flower from the blades of her father's lawnmower. This small act snowballs into a concern for the residents of her yard and letting nature back into her suburban space.

Themes: Conservation, Caring, Problem Solving, Antibox
  • Curious George Plants A Tree
  • The Imaginary Garden
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • The Flower Man
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Red Sings from Treetops: A Year in Colors
  • Fluffy and Baron
  • The Raft
  • Flower Garden
  • In a Blue Room
  • Elsie's Bird
  • The EARTH Book
Per back cover: He is a dandy dresser, but he does need to don his dentures when dining out. Illustrated many books for children. He lives in Virginia.
More about Henry Cole...
Unspoken: A Story from the Underground Railroad A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home Big Bug Jack's Garden Trudy