Start by marking “Lord of the Dance” as Want to Read:
Lord of the Dance

Andrew M. Greeley

Lord of the Dance

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Noelle is the daughter of Roger, a college professor and candidate for public office with adulterous tendencies, and Irene, once a very promising bright young woman, and still beautiful, but clearly broken by years of a domestic life with a cheating husband. — She becomes obsessed with her uncle, Danny Farrell, who has always been a black sheep of sorts in the family. Dann ...more
hardback
Published July 5th 1986 by Random House, Inc. (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of the Dance

Anita
I've read reviews of this book by others, and how anyone could read it and think the adult Farrells are the primary characters is beyond me. Noele Marie Brigid Farrell is the embodiment of a teenager; fey, funny, nosy and lively. This book made me love Andrew Greeley and wish he were MY parish priest - and I'm not even Catholic! I saw so much of myself in Noele that I was finally convinced I was a normal girl. Mystery, intrigue, family dynamics, sexual relationships and even PSTD are all spell-b ...more
Tess Mertens-Johnson
WOW – this book had me turning pages by page 25.
Set in the early 1980s, the Farrell family, from the outside, looks like your standard Irish Catholic family.
But behind closed doors are lies, secrets and murder.
Noelle (Mary Noelle – born of Christmas) is the daughter of Roger a stuffed shirt attorney, and Irene his society wife borderline alcoholic. She is 17 and needs to write a family history for school. She is very precocious and digs deep into the family dirty laundry.
Her uncles on her fathe
Tracy
The first Andrew Greeley book I read and loved! It really got me to think about grace in my life.
Ancie
Read it quite a few years back. Had borrowed it from dear friend, Annie.
I remember that it was a racy-read. I couldn't wait to find out who'd dunnit n what'd happen to Irene n Noelle. :)
All in all, a good read.
Robert Thompson
Great book, could not put it down.
Shirley Freeman
I used to read many of Andrew Greeley's books,especially those with characters Blackie Ryan or Nuala Anne McGrail, but hadn't read any for quite awhile. Since Greeley recently died, I figured I would read one of his books in his memory. This one was okay but wasn't a favorite. I wouldn't recommend it - though I generally like Greeley's take on what a loving God is about.
Marian
I'm a huge Greeley fan, so when I discovered a book of his I hadn't read yet I was thrilled. He's so good at telling stories about real people and their relationship with their church and God. He intertwines both with such dexterity!
MommaLaura
Deborah Treon
Loved it - read several times. I do not always fall in love w/Andrew Greeley but this one - yeah.
Caroline
Horribly written and trite. Greeley phoned this one in and just barely at that.
Pat
Typical Greeley book. It had a lot of local Chicago customs and lore in it.
Ariane
I don't really remember this book. Hence, no review.
Peggy
#5, a good one I think I recall
Bernadette
Read many many years ago....
Cathy Smalley
Cathy Smalley marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Bruce Hammond
Bruce Hammond is currently reading it
Dec 02, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Glenda L
Glenda L marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Lynn Fux
Lynn Fux marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
PJ
PJ marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
  • Perfect (Kick Keswick, #3)
  • Bermuda Shorts
  • God's Chosen Fast
  • Lion and Lamb: The Relentless Tenderness
  • Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict  Second Edition
  • Catholic for a Reason: Scripture and the Mystery of the Family of God
  • Sequence
  • No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)
  • Mathematics for the Million: How to Master the Magic of Numbers
  • An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy, #8)
  • Dead in the Water (Rebecca Schwartz, #4)
  • Gun Work (Hard Case Crime #49)
  • The Finale
  • Private Pleasures
  • Tyranny of the Urgent
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • Spellbinder
  • The Man Born to Be King: A Play-Cycle on the Life of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...
Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1) The Cardinal Sins Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2) Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4) Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)