Start by marking “Don't Be Cruel” as Want to Read:
Don't Be Cruel

Don't Be Cruel

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A law-student stripper, two inept hitmen, the First Church of Elvis, Scientist, and a small-time mobster's biggest scam. Things are about to get all shook up.
Published December 1st 2011 by Codorus Press

To ask other readers questions about Don't Be Cruel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Be Cruel

Brady
I think this book has more boobs in it than any other novel I've read. It was good, though.

I've long been a fan of Mike Argento's columns, but had no idea he'd written a book until rather bizarre circumstances led me to a Youtube video where he pitched his book. I was so intrigued by the premise (small-time mobster plans to kill off all his friends, one by one, for the insurance money) that I picked up a copy.

Mike Argento prides himself on being immature enough to write scenes where characters j
David Williams
My old friend Mike has written a novel. You should buy a copy. Or steal a copy, I think would be more in the spirit of the thing. Stealing it might cost Mike a bit of money but I think he'd appreciate the gesture, somehow. As the back cover says it, "A law-student stripper, two inept hit men, the First Church of Elvis, Scientist and a small-time mobster's biggest scam. Things are about to get all shook up." It's a book only my friend Mike could write. Hell, it's a book only my friend Mike would ...more
Scott Pruden
Anyone who spends any time reading a newspaper knows that the vast majority of criminals are idiots. The people who write for newspapers (and get to see the police reports unfiltered and unedited) know that even more. So when southcentral Pennsylvania newspaper columnist Mike Argento writes about boneheaded, careless and poorly planned criminal enterprises, we know he knows from whence he speaks.

Don't Be Cruel seems like the distillation of all those crime "briefs" we scan in the newspaper for
Derick Douglas
I recieved this as a free book from Goodreads contest.
This is a very funny book. It comes at you non-stop. The pacing is very fast. Mike is as funny as Carl Haissen. That is the closest comparison in theme and style. I only gave the book 3 stars because I do not think it will age well. There are many current events jokes that may not be as relevent in 5 to 10 years. I really did enjoy the book very much and would recommend it.
Leslie Molloy
What a crazy story!

I can only hope that someone with some sense will make this into a movie - it's hilarious! When I first started this book, I thought it was crazy (which it is) and pretty crude (which it is)... but you get so involved in these characters! What will happen NEXT?! What else could possibly go wrong?! LOL Believe me - you GOTTA read this - it's great! So funny, and 100% entertaining!
Jonathan Budar-danoff
Rollicking good fun. A "Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight" farce that had me laughing the whole way through. Inept hit men, vengeful minor crime bosses, strippers with performance art themes, and an Elvis-themed church... What's not to like?

"Oops," indeed.
Mindy Arbaugh
Argento's newspaper columns never failed to make me smile. With a novel's freedom to take the humor and run, he kept me smiling, and more often laughing out loud, from start to finish.
Anna
Great book! Can't wait until he writes another one!
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Fred Watterson
Fred Watterson marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2012
Heidi Miller
Heidi Miller marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2012
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2012
Olga Zelenova
Olga Zelenova marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2012
Daniel Sitter
Daniel Sitter marked it as to-read
Karina M.
Karina M. marked it as to-read
Latisha
Latisha marked it as to-read
Karen Arrowood
Karen Arrowood marked it as to-read
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Connie Bernhardt
Connie Bernhardt marked it as to-read
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Mitzi
Mitzi marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 next »
Mike Argento lives in central Pennsylvania, where he writes a newspaper/on-line column that routinely inspires fear and loathing in the local gentry. He has been described as a "twisted bastard with a heart of gold." He would like people to stop asking him, "What's wrong with you?" He doesn't know.
And he is the author of "Don't Be Cruel," a comic crime novel about bad people doing bad things, bad
More about Mike Argento...