Start by marking “Goldie Socks and the Three Libearians” as Want to Read:
Goldie Socks and the Three Libearians

Goldie Socks and the Three Libearians

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  75 reviews

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 1/31/2007 Pages: Reading Level: Age 5 and Up
Published January 31st 2007 by Highsmith Inc (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Goldie Socks and the Three Libearians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldie Socks and the Three Libearians

The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon ScieszkaGoldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo WillemsThe Frog Prince, Continued by Jon ScieszkaThe Three Pigs by David WiesnerAnd the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon by Janet Stevens
Fractured Fairy Tales for Children
26th out of 130 books — 27 voters
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Library by Sarah StewartReading Lolita in Tehran by Azar NafisiA Gentle Madness by Nicholas A. Basbanes
Books about Books and Libraries
257th out of 378 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle
Here's what we put on our blog............

Mommy Bookworm’s Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. I never learned about the “five finger rule” growing up and this book does a great job explaining what it is and how to use it to choose good books for yourself. I know it was kind of going along with the old classic story with having her toss aside the books she didn’t like, but I also felt it was good that the Libearian family got upset with how she treated the books that didn’t fit her because, in
Angela
Best for kids ages 5 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Phonological Awareness, Narrative Skills

From cover:
Somebody's been looking at my books! An intriguing cottage made of books tempts the inquisitive Goldie Socks to peek inside. Aas she searches the shelves she finds books that are too big and books that are too small, but she soon discovers that using the five-finger rule can help her find a book that's just right! Satisfies, she finds a comfy spot to read. But what will the thr
Tami
This is a fabulous re-telling of the traditional Goldilocks and the Three Bears tale! In this version Mama & Papa Bear are librarians and Baby Bear is a librarian-in-training. Their cottage architecturally looks as if it is made of books. Goldie Socks sees the cottage on her shortcut through the forest. Because she "loved books more than bears love honey" she predictably goes into the Bears' home (although she does knock first). When she enters the home and sees the

"shelves and shelves of w
Meg McGregor
An imaginative retelling of the Goldilocks fairy tale - this one has Goldie Socks an avid reader who encounters a house made out of books - her favorite things in the whole world!

Of course she has to investigate. She finds a book that is JUST RIGHT by using the five finger rule. She then finds the place that is JUST RIGHT for her to read at and when the Libearians return, they join the fun!
Gail
I read this to my fourth grade class to highlight the 5 finger rule in finding a 'just right' book. This story talks about how each bear is a librarian and that they have different jobs. Their house is shaped like a book and when Goldie enters she goes through the book shelves to find the perfect book. She used the 5 finger rule (choose any page in the book and begin reading, put up a finger for every word you don't know. If you get to 5 before the end of the page, the book is too hard for you)t ...more
Ronda
I read this book with my elementary students and combined it with a review of library lessons combined with comparing versions and variants (of course, referring back to Goldilocks and the Three Bears). Since then, I've had several students ask when they can check it out. More recently, I have started using this story at the beginning of the year with the included lesson of "A Just Right Book" and the five-finger rule. Using the "A JUST RIGHT BOOK" lesson seems to help some students think about ...more
Tiffany
A cute little twist on Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Here, Goldie Socks is in a library -- which, of course, is the home of three libearians -- and is looking for a "just right" book to read, and a comfy place to read, too!
Stephanie Jobe
When I was growing the three bears were not sufficient and so my father and I made the story our own. We would tell the story of the three snakes or other animal families of three. Well Hopkins has taken the classic tale another direction. Goldie Socks is fascinated with this house of books and takes her time trying different books and reading spots and when the libearians come home… Papa reads them all a story including Goldie Socks. The book also includes a neat lesson plan for helping younger ...more
Mari
This is a useful book, but not a personal favorite. Teachers and school librarians may find it particularly handy, since it can be a jumping off point to talk about how to choose and take care of books. I like that Goldy Socks demonstrates how to find a "just right" book with the 5 finger rule. This is something I'm hearing a lot about these days, both at my children's school and from other librarians. I also like that the ending highlights how fun it can be to share books with others. The illus ...more
Megan
Dec 10, 2013 Megan added it
Shelves: eng-261
This is a clever way of telling the story about Goldie Locks and the Three Bears. It gets kids interested in reading as well as allows them to read the book in another way. Taking a classic tale, such as Goldie Locks and the Three Bears, and then spinning it into a new material is perfect for kids who may be reluctant readers. Many children already know the story about Goldie Locks and the Three Bears, and for the children who may have difficulty reading, it is a refreshing way to look at the st ...more
Kelli
Wonderful with lots of clever details. The best part is that it includes how to find Just Right Books as well as book care!
Mark
Useful for how to choose the right book (by reading difficulty), but kinda lame overall. (Maybe it was my mood at the time...)
Sarah Cordts
Very cute re-telling of Goldilocks and the three bears. Love the ending (you'll have to read it to see what I mean!)!
Eva Leger
The rating here is a compromise between Julia and I. I say 3, she says 5, it gets 4. :)
She really liked this and I really liked the fact that she liked it so much. I have a hard time getting her to feel passionate about books sometimes and I have an even harder time getting her to fall for books about books like I do. But this one got to her.
Maybe because of the Goldie Locks twist but whatever the reason, I'm one happy camper. She giggled every time I said "Goldie Socks". The ending was her fa
Jen
excellent retelling of goldilocks in library style! :)
Katie Williams
I would read this book around the beginning of the school year when kids begin to pick out their own books to read. I would introduce what is called a just right book. I would let students know that there are some books out there that may be too easy or just too hard for them to read. While it's okay that they do read those books, they need to try to find books that are just right for them. Just right book are when you can ready it fairly easily, but sometimes you might get stuck. Books like thi ...more
Mckinley
Spin on the traditional story. Liked the idea.
Jessica
This book was a total hit on the first day of library class for 2nd and 3rd graders. It really saved my life!

Goldie socks discovers a hidden house made of books where the 3 libearians live. She finds books and places to read that are too big, too small, too squishy, too hard, and of course...just right. Watch out for kids to scream out "omg, it's just like with the porridge!" half way through. Also, watch out for the surprise ending!
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
This book was surprising because I thought Goldie Socks was going to run away, but she didn't. We thought the bears were going to eat her, but instead they were happy she was there and they read a book together!

This book taught us to read Just Right or Good Fit books and how to pick those types of books. For example, use the five finger rule and if there are five words on the page that you can't read, it is too hard.
Charlyn  Trussell
Jul 22, 2010 Charlyn Trussell rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreK and up
This twist on the familiar story involves a just-as-adventurous little girl named Goldie Socks who loves books and a more hospitable bear family who like books so much that their home seems to be built from them. Students will enjoy the story and the bright illustrations and librarians will have more story to share about enjoying and caring for books and finding the one, like this one, that is "just right."
A great way to introduce the 5 Finger Rule to younger elementary school students. My second graders liked the parallels with Goldilocks and were able to make accurate predictions during the read aloud. Recommended as a good library instruction text; I only purchased this for teacher use and did not include it in my general collection.
Teresa
This book plays off the traditional fairy tale about Goldilocks and the three bears except this time they all love books. Goldie socks loves to read and she comes across the Libearians home full of books. In the end instead of running away the bears welcome her and read a story to her. This is a happier version of the traditional story.
Beverly
Another wonderful book about books and libraries, featuring favorite fairy tale characters. Humorous, cartoony illustrations. And "libearians"-- is this a tongue-in-cheek reference to the prevalent mispronunciation of "library?" Papa and Mama Bear are both libearians, and Baby Bear is studying to be one.
Lisa Rathbun
Very amusing. I think I too would be tempted like Goldie Socks if I saw a house full of books! I'd definitely add this to my collection of alternate fairy tales. My only cavil is that don't enough people pronounce "library" wrong anyway without forcing readers to call the bears "libearians"?
Kathy
I use this every year to introduce my second graders to the "five finger rule", an easy method for determining if a book is at a good reading level for you. The kids enjoy the twist on the standard Goldilocks tale and it's great to use as a springboard to discussing how to find a "just right book".
Rosa
An enjoyable fractured fairy tale about finding just the right book.
Mandy
Summary:
Goldisocks stumbled upon a house made of books and couldn't resist entering since she loved books. But, would she treat the books belonging to the three "libearians" just right?

A great book for a library orientation reviewing book care and finding a book that is "just right!"
Rebecca
Very funny. Loved the illustrations. The house is made of books and the house interior also has a book-theme design going. (The fireplace mantle is a book spine.) Loved the twisty end. Definitely a read-aloud favorite. I'd buy it for myself but it's apparently out of print. Dang.
Andria
Sep 14, 2013 Andria rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
This is a great book that I use with first and second grades when we start to practice finding just right books in the library. It comes with ancillary materials that you can purchase to help the kids remember how to figure out if books are sharing books or just right books.
Amy
A really cute story -- a modern day retelling of "The Three Little Bears". In this case, however, the reader is treated to a cottage made out of books! Inside is a book lover's dream -- walls and walls of books, which Goldie Socks being a lover of books must check out!

• Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon
  • Library Lil
  • Believe Me, Goldilocks Rocks!: The Story of the Three Bears as Told by Baby Bear
  • Look! A Book!
  • A Particular Cow
  • The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians
  • The Library Dragon
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Magic Box
  • Zomo the Rabbit: A Trickster Tale from West Africa
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Madeline and the Cats of Rome
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
  • Meet Me at the Moon
  • Max's Dragon
  • The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot
  • Earth to Clunk
Jackie Mims Hopkins is a storyteller, a school librarian and a former teacher. She is the author of several children's books, including The Three Armadillies Tuff and The Gold Miner's Daughter. She lives in Texas.
More about Jackie Mims Hopkins...
The Shelf Elf Prairie Chicken Little The Shelf Elf Helps Out The Horned Toad Prince The Gold Miner's Daughter: A Melodramatic Fairy Tale