Start by marking “Death on Heels (A Crime of Fashion Mystery #8)” as Want to Read:
Death on Heels (A Crime of Fashion Mystery #8)

Death on Heels (Crime of Fashion #8)

When fashion reporter Lacey Smithsonian moved to Washington, D.C., from rugged, small town Sagebrush, Colorado, she thought she’d never look back. But when her former boyfriend, cattle rancher Cole Tucker, is arrested for the murders of three women, Lacey digs her cowboy boots out of her closet and hops on the next plane.

She is certain of Tucker’s innocence, until he abdu
Published (first published February 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Death on Heels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on Heels

Kathleen
Mar 12, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never say never ... Lacey Smithsonian had vowed never to return to Sagebrush, Colorado ...

In the latest installment of the Crime of Fashion Mysteries, Lacey Smithsonian, Washington, D.C.'s fashion reporter and pseudo murder mystery sleuth, is heading back home to Sagebrush, Colorado, to prove that her ex-boyfriend is innocent of murder. Sexy cowboy cattle rancher Cole Tucker has been arrested for the murder of three women, and claims he was set up, but an anonymous tip call and evidence found on
Aparna
Jun 17, 2016 Aparna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stars: 3.5 / 5
Recommendation: An easy mystery read that is weaved through the world of fashion, style and dressing from the view point of a fashion stylist.

Death on Heels is the eighth installment in the Crime of Fashion series by Ellen Byerrum published in February of 2012. This time around Lacey Smithsonian gets involved with her ex-boyfriend, cattle rancher Cole Tucker when he is arrested.

Lacey Smithsonian had moved from her hometown Sagebrush, Colorado to Washington, D.C. not only for her ca
Christine
Feb 18, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fashion reporter Lacey Smithsonian is shocked when she learns her ex-boyfriend Cole Tucker has been arrested for murder. Lacey decides a trip from Washington, D.C. back to Sagebrush, Colorado is necessary so she can attend Cole’s arraignment and get the inside story on what’s really going on. However, Lacey gets more than a scoop when she visits Cole in jail. Cole dupes the guard and escapes - taking Lacey with him! Lacey doesn’t know if this is the act of a man desperate to prove his innocence ...more
Samantha March
Feb 23, 2012 Samantha March rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received my copy of Death on Heels by Ellen Byerrum via CLP Blog Tours. I was really excited for this tour because I had heard of the Lacey Smithsonian mystery series but had never had the chance to read one of the books. Byerrum and her books are super popular and have such a loyal fan base. Some of her novels were even adapted to film by the Lifetime Movie Network! So, needless to say, I was thrilled to have the chance to work with such an accomplished author.

Diving in the book, I was immed
Beverly
Oct 16, 2012 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book back in October, but I'm a bit behind on posting reviews. If you have ever visited my blog then you know The Crime of Fashion Mystery Series is one of my all time favorite series. The books are always a good, solid, entertaining read.

In this latest installment, Lacey heads back to her home state of Colorado. As I am a transplanted Texas living in Colorado, that just made the story even more interesting. The ensemble of quirky side kicks (co-workers from The Eye Street Observer,
Rachelle
Nov 20, 2011 Rachelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just a few pages in, and I'm remembering why I took a break from this series. Lacey is a snob! She's better than everyone. Smarter. More clever. More stylish. Her poor friends are portrayed as lacking whatever Lacey has. One friend wears boring clothes, doesn't care about style, and dates a conspiracy nut. The other friend wears clothing on the other extreme, dyes her hair crazy colors, and dates a shady jewel thief (who, of course, Lacey is still suspicious of - but her friend is blindly in lov ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
I am just now stepping into the Crimes of Fashion series with DEATH ON HEELS (which is book 8) and I absolutely loved this book. Lacey is back in her old town; Sagebrush, Colorado to solve a crime. This may not appear to be a very big deal since Lacey has solved many crimes using her fashion knowhow, but to Lacey it is everything. Lacey must face the past to save her ex- boyfriend, Cole, from going to jail for murders Lacey knows he did not commit.

Lacey decides as a news reporter and as Cole's e
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I really enjoyed this cozy murder mystery. It was set in the main sleuth's hometown of Sagebrush, Colorado and all the fashion tips and murder tips revolved around Cowboy/Cowgirl wear.

The main sleuth is Lacey Smithsonian and she heads back home to the town she swore she would never return to, in aid of her ex-boyfriend, Tucker. Tucker has been collared for the triple murders of young women. Lacey can't believe that she would have ever dated a killer.

Along for the round-up comes new characters as
Deb
Feb 19, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lacey has herself in her usual hilarious fix. Three women have been found dead - and barefoot - on various country roads in the area of Sagebrush, Colorado. Since Lacey began her journalism career in this Western Slope town, she is naturally drawn back there when an ex-boyfiend is charge with the crimes. One kidnapping, two cross country horseback rides, a western wear shopping trip and may meals later, anther young woman in fancy cowgirl boots disappears. Lacey's co-workers Mac and Tony, her mo ...more
Lara Tambellini
Feb 20, 2012 Lara Tambellini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. This was so good!!!!!

She is certain of Tucker’s innocence, until he abducts her during a daring courthouse escape. Is Tucker capable of murder, too? Or is th
Kim
Apr 10, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Lacey does it again. As a girl who grew up in the wild wild west, I love a good western. I also truly understand the need, want, and stature that the perfect pair of cowboy boots have. But in true Lacey Smithsonian style we have another murder mystery in need of solving. And as always Vic Donovan is there trying to keep His Girl Friday out of trouble. The usual cast of characters help muddle through the twists and turns of solving the murders pinned on Lacey's ex fiance. (She could never have lo ...more
❂ Jennifer
Jan 30, 2012 ❂ Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is one of my favourite cozy mystery series and I was thrilled when Ms. Byerrum started writing them again. I have to admit at first I wasn't looking forward to this one as much, since I'm not a fan of my mystery series taking place "away" from the home turf. But Ms Byerrum won me over by seamlessly incorporating the cast of characters I've grown to love into this madcap, entertaining plot. The mystery itself was solid and well thought out and I absolutely loved the ending. I sincerely hope ...more
Jan
Apr 28, 2013 Jan rated it it was ok
Blah! This 7th book in Ellen Byerrum's Lacey Smithsonian series is a real dud. Takes place outside Washington DC & barely any fashion from Aunt Mimi's trunk. Only redeeming factor of the book is the progression of Lacey & Vic's relationship. Veiled Threat better be better or I may have to take a break from this series :(
Jean Ward
Feb 05, 2012 Jean Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reporter Lacey Smithsonian returns to her journalistic roots in Sagebrush, CO, to help an old friend accused of murder. On the scene, she encounters something far worse: TWO editors. *shudder* Ellen Byerrum's Lacey Smithsonian mysteries are among my favorite comfort reads, and this installment did not disappoint. :-)
Nancy Bradford
Apr 18, 2012 Nancy Bradford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book of the adventures of Lacey Smithsonian. I love when a series takes place away from the home area of the main character, no matter if it a place they have been before or a new place. This book leads you to wonder about how many new adventures Lacey and freinds can find.
Nicole
Jul 03, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still enjoying this series. I was a little surprised I liked this one so much as a lot of my attraction to the series is that it happens in DC. This one takes place in CO. Maybe it was all the descriptions of the amazing cowgirl boots.
Colleen
Apr 22, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Crime of Fashion book I've read. I really enjoyed the first one but this one was so much better! I'm very much enjoying the characters and am looking forward to reading the first 7 books.
Elisha (lishie)
Feb 15, 2012 Elisha (lishie) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Lacey & so look forward to her adventures that I savor these treats... This one took us "back" to Sagebrush, CO... And now I want a new pair of cowboy boots! I just have one thing to add to her commuter bag Fashion Bite- mine also must hold a book! Or else it is worthless to me.
Marilyn
Falsely accused ex-boy friend accused of murder. Heroine comes to rescue with unusual talent for solving mysteries. She does it with fashion clues. In this case she uses cowboy boots. Fun but oh so light.
Martina Kopel
Aug 14, 2014 Martina Kopel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how Vic puts up with Lacey and her old boyfriend. Sometimes I just want to shake Vic, but I guess he's in LOVE. Lacey's Mother and sister were not to over powering. They helped out with the friend of the hostage instead of being the problem.
Angela
Dec 13, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, chic-lit
I love this series. I think it's a lot of fun. This may have been the best one in the series. It was a good mystery, fun read and a unique angle. I'll admit I may have been rooting for Lacey to fall back in love with Tucker a little bit (0=
Frank
Aug 25, 2013 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A breezy entertainment tied in to some nice description of backwoods Colorado and nasty real estate and mineral interests. This time the fashion references are boots rather than dresses. Read this one on paper from the library because there's no electronic.
Carol Collins
Despite early misgivings I enjoyed this book. Although fashion is a component it isn't over emphasized. The protagonist was likable with amusing sidekicks.
Eli
Feb 25, 2012 Eli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2012
Standard fare, although Lacey may have been slightly less snobbish this time around.
Dee
Jul 23, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love me some Lacey!
Michelle
Aug 22, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this heroine, Lacey Smithsonian. I prefer the ones that take place in the DC area but this gave us some insight into her past.
Shirley Bergin
Aug 02, 2012 Shirley Bergin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

By far the best in the series. Anxiously waiting for the next book. Will there be another wedding besides Stella's ??
Jane
Jan 01, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-myst
Enjoyed a lot, as I did the 7 earlier ones. Lacey is up to her usual involvement in fashion reporting and crime solving. No (lack of)editing problems threw me out of the story, a rarity these days.
Brenda Kirton
Jan 21, 2012 Brenda Kirton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: Selina
Shelves: mystery
Good mystery. I did not guess who the murderer was. It was fun seeing Lacey back in the place she ran away from
Kathy
Sep 03, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Ellen's books!
Madison Mega-Mara...: Death on Heels 1 2 Aug 27, 2012 05:38PM
  • The Fashion Hound Murders
  • Fire Engine Dead (Museum, #3)
  • Dirty Rotten Tendrils (A Flower Shop Mystery, #10)
  • A Deal to Die For (Good Buy Girls, #2)
  • Fashion Faux Paw (Dog Walker Mysteries, #6)
  • Clutches and Curses (Haley Randolph, #4)
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • Cake on a Hot Tin Roof (A Piece of Cake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Air (Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • Murder of a Real Bad Boy (A Scumble River Mystery, #8)
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
  • Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5)
  • The Diva Digs Up the Dirt (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #6)
  • Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Murder Unmentionable (Sweet Nothings, #1)
  • Forgive & Forget (Love in the Fleet, #1)
Ellen Byerrum is a Washington, D.C., news reporter, novelist and playwright. She also holds a Virginia private investigator's registration. Her Crime of Fashion mysteries star a savvy, stylish sleuth: Lacey Smithsonian, a reluctant fashion reporter in Washington D.C., "The City Fashion Forgot."
Lacey would rather be working "hard news," but her nose for nuance, eye for a great story, and talent f
More about Ellen Byerrum...

Crime of Fashion (10 books)
  • Killer Hair (Crime of Fashion, #1)
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • Hostile Makeover (Crime of Fashion, #3)
  • Raiders of the Lost Corset (Crime of Fashion, #4)
  • Grave Apparel (Crime of Fashion, #5)
  • Armed and Glamorous (Crime of Fashion, #6)
  • Shot Through Velvet (Crime of Fashion, #7)
  • Veiled Revenge (A Crime of Fashion Mystery, #9)
  • Lethal Black Dress (A Crime of Fashion Mystery, #10)