Start by marking “Perfect Shadow (Night Angel, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Perfect Shadow (Night Angel, #0.5)

Perfect Shadow (Night Angel 0.5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  7,991 ratings  ·  257 reviews
Discover the origins of Durzo Blint in this original novella set in the world of Brent Weeks' New York Times bestselling Night Angel trilogy.

"I got a bit of prophecy," the old assassin said. "Not enough to be useful, you know. Just glimpses. My wife dead, things like that to keep me up late at night. I had this vision that I was going to be killed by forty men, all at once
Hardcover, Signed, Limited Edition, 96 pages
Published December 2011 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Shadow, please sign up.

Emily (BellaGrace) Yeah, there are massive spoilers in it about Durzo's past and the ka'karis... although it's mostly information just thrown at the reader with no…moreYeah, there are massive spoilers in it about Durzo's past and the ka'karis... although it's mostly information just thrown at the reader with no explanation, so there will be some sense of discovery. You'll still enjoy the books, but some key/important things will be spoiled. Definitely should not read this before the main Night Angel books.(less)

Assassins going to assassinate people all assassin-like. Add crazy awesome magical abilities, immortality, love, shadows, betrayals, and constant action. You may just have Perfect Shadow: A Night Angel Novella.

I don't think I'd recommend diving into Perfect Shadow without having already read the rest of the Night Angel Trilogy, or at least the first book, The Way of Shadows. It's a great series especially if you want a book/series that's really hard to put down. With all its faults, it's so muc
Nothing beats snacking on delicious Blintses.
Brent Weeks is the master of the twist you don't see coming, and he usually does it more than once in a book. This is a prequel focusing on Durzo Blint, but it's definitely important to read The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2) by Brent Weeks Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3) by Brent Weeks first. It would have been disorienting to read Perfect Shadow A Night Angel Novella by Brent Weeks first, and it'll spoil some of those twists I loved in the Night Angel trilogy. The switches between point-of-view was a bit disconcerting at the beginning, but once I figured out what was going on, I settled nicely into the story. I also wish I had read t ...more
I read the Night Angel Trilogy about two to three years ago and loved it then. This book is centered around Durzo of my favorites from the trilogy(the other one was Logan.)

This just gives insight to Durzo, before he was Durzo Blint, before he met Momma K(Gwinvere) and how he became a wetboy. Reading this seriously makes me miss Azoth/Kylar and all the other characters. I may just do a re-read of the series soon.

There is no heroism
There is no justice
There is no heaven
There is no sixt
David Sven
This is a Durzo Blint origin story. Add a fantastic GraphicAudio production with 15 voice actors and fist pumping music and sound effects and you have two hours of pure assassin badassery as The Night Angel stalks the warrens.

Most of the story focuses on Gaelen Starfire just before he becomes Durzo. We see the rise of Mama K and how Durzo came to meet and work for Gwinvere Kirena and the Sakage. We also get a little back story on Acaelus Thorne and how he became The Night Angel.

You'll probably n
Nice little return to the world of Night Angel. I will say that though it's a prequel to the main series, one should avoid reading it first. It goes into background information that would spoil key parts to the books.

That said, it would also be confusing to a Weeks novice. The terms, history, relics, and organizations in the story are not explained here, as they are so well in the series. In fact, it has been awhile since I read the books, so I felt a little lost with some of it. Most of it came
Brent Weeks' immensely popular Night Angel Trilogy was published in quick succession. Readers had all three of his debut books on hand, devoured them, and then had to wait for his next novel. While imperfect, it was easy to see Weeks' potential for spinning a good yarn. THE BLACK PRISM has been released since then, but Weeks did take a little time to go back to the world he started out with, and gives us a novella about the assassin Durzo Blint.

Durzo is a character with a lot of back story, but
This was well read, but not well suited to reading since it skips back & forth through time a lot. The narrator made no indication of such breaks (They never do for some unknown reason.) so I got a bit lost at times.

This seems to be the introduction & history of the main character of the series. Considering that it was basically a big info dump, it was quite interesting & very well done. Still, it was an info dump, a character sketch. A very interesting character & an interesting
Short, entertaining, nothing spectacular, but a nice post Night Angel treat. We get a little more Durzo history / back story, see a little more of what makes him tick. I'd love to see more.. Like a full on prequel of his early history.. But for now this was a nice Night Angel fix.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Weeks continues with his juvenile drivel.

It looks like he discovered the word feces and had to look up all it's synonyms and write a scene that beat such "adult" subjects to death. Not realizing that he could have put it to good use by naming his book "Fecal Matter".

Next Weeks enters 12 year old pervert mode and introduces one of his female dichotomies, namely all women are either virgins or whores, as the main charter meets a whore who of course wants to have sex with him for free. Juvenile dia
To the best of my knowledge, every fan of Durzo Blint's character will love this. Brent Weeks takes us on a trip to master assassin's heart before it became a barren wasteland. We can see the contours of the wetboy persona forming - his cynicism and embrace of violence in process of dealing out justice.

What intrigued me about this book is the character of Gwinvere Kirena (later known as Momma K). Brent Weeks has taken every Western reader's erotic fantasy, draped it in positive hero-defining tra
Philip Schläfli
A welcomed insight in the world of Durzo Blint.
I liked this short story, because I could spent some more time with Durzo and the young Momma K.
There are a lot of hints at the trilogy, therefore it's important tor ead those books first.

Just a few open thoughts, whose name was on the scrap of paper in the end, and what happened to the son of the wetboy-couple?
Prelim Review: I love Durzo. I love Graphics Audio. I love the fact I got a little over two hours of listening enjoyment from Graphics Audio about Durzo and who he was before he met Kylar. NIGHT ANGEL TRILOGY was so much about Kylar (as he was the focal character mainly) and for me I wanted to know more about the man who trained him. This hard man who had lived for so many years, through so many guises, who loved and lost and loved again and fought hard to just be normal once more.

This frelling
Erica Anderson
My major complaint with this novella was that it was too short and hurried. Durzo deserves a fully developed story, rather than a quickly sketched outline of how he came to be involved with the Sa'kage. If Weeks ever finds the time to write Durzo's story, I'll be first in line to buy it. This novella gives the reader just a hint of what could be, and so was ultimately unsatisfying. Because Weeks does such a fine job with his full-length novels, anything less is bound to fall short.

So, if you're
Traci Loudin
Decent enough overall. Nice to see Durzo again. But even knowing this was a novella, I felt shortchanged. I think I would've been less disappointed in the length if a full 20% of the eBook weren't an advertisement for the author's other books. 5%, great. 10%, I feel a little irritated. 20% of a book that's already short as-is? Downright disappointed.

On the other hand, maybe the device should only count the % of the actual story, not including the extras.
Disclaimer-If you read the review and feel there is a spoiler in it, please let me know and I will remove that section. Also, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

Perfect Shadow by Brent Weeks is a short story that details some of the beginnings of Durzo Blint from the Night Angel trilogy. Before becoming that beloved character, he went by the name Gaelan Starfire and he has a story to tell.

I really liked this story. It felt refreshing to return to the world in the Night
Marc Aplin
Sep 16, 2011 Marc Aplin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Night Angel Trilogy fans
Brent Weeks is author of what I consider the best fantasy trilogy of all time. The Night Angel trilogy really seemed to have it all. You had a complex plot, multiple subplots, hot women, incredible and vivid action, intense relationships and all was contained within an enjoyable style of writing.

Mr Weeks earlier this year took a break from his current 'LightBringer' series in order to bring to fans a short story about stand-out character from The Night Angel trilogy; Durzo Blint. Obviously fans
Joel Pearson
Writing: 4.5
Story/Plot: 4
Depth/Detail: 4
Enjoyment: 4.5

Let me preface, as I always do with Brent Weeks reviews, by saying I'm a huge homer fan of his and think he's brilliant and handsome. That said, Perfect Shadow was a quick and dirty little prequel to the Night Angel Trilogy. It followed Durzo Blint before, well, he was Durzo Blint. It gives a bit of backstory into how he meets Momma K, how he gained and 'destroyed' the red ka'kari, how he came to have the name of Durzo, how he was trained to
Perfect Shadow: A Night Angel Novella was a good, bite-sized bit of back story for one of the main characters in the Night Angel trilogy, Durzo Blint. The novella tells the story of how Durzo came to possess the black ka'kari and how he came to work in Midcyru with (and for) Gwinvere Kirena. It's interesting and engaging, and was a pleasant way to take a break between larger books. I also think that Brent Weeks probably wrote it after writing the rest of the trilogy. If I had one complaint about ...more

Perfect Shadow is a nice addition to The Night Angel Trilogy. It gives great backstory for Durzo and Mama K. You get to feel a better connection to why they act a certain way. There's more of a connection with Durzo when you read this novella before The Way of Shadows because you know more about him once you start the trilogy. The story can be a bit confusing at first because it's not entirely clear what is going on, but after a section or two, it's easy to figure out what's happening
A real good prequel to the Nights Angel trilogy.You learn a lot about Durzo Blint past.All the way back to his first identity and origin.It gives you insight into what he went through to become the Night Angel.Filled with tragedy and loss its the story of one mans ascension to becoming the greatest assassin of all time.
Reading the perfect shadow makes me realiz3 how much I miss great character s, great scenes, great lines, and great action.

not a perfect. but still way better than anything that I have read in awhile. I can't wait to read his next work. the lightbringer series.
Benjamin Thomas
A nicely done novella in the world of the "Night Angel" trilogy that serves well to fill in the backstory of Durzo Blint. While largely a tale of assassinations, plenty of them and very cool in their description, I appreciate even more Mr Week's ability to write short crisp scenes that depict much larger themes. It is harder to write short pieces than long ones and this is an example of the short novella done well.

Even though this is a "prequel" to the Night Angel trilogy I would recommend read
Matt Clooney
I never would have thought that a novella could be this good. To me, this is an example of the potential of ebooks. Brent Weeks stated that as he wrote this story he knew that to give it a conventional publication he would have to add a lot of "fat" to it to turn it into a novel. When his publisher offered to distribute it as an ebook novella he loved the idea because it allowed him to write exactly the story he wanted instead of trying to fit it into a publishing mold. Love the story exactly th ...more
Cal Sprague
Short read.. but the characters in it made it a must.

Acaelus Thorne has been alive for a very long time, carrying out the instructions of his long-departed Emperor, Jorsin Alkestes. Acaelus has had several identities, and is shifting to the latest - Durzo Blint, assassin. This is the story of Durzo's (and Acaelus') origins.

I liked Brent Weeks' Night Angeltrilogy, and I've been interested to know more about how it all started. The Perfect Shadowprovides a very small taste of the answer.

The Perfect Shadowreads more a
Although he was a man who had worn dozens of faces, this one was different. No longer hero, warrior, or even farmer---now he would find his employ in assassination. And like any other trade he had practiced, Durzo Blint quickly became the best of the best. But what brought him to the place where he would rather take life than save it, where the worth of a man was the price on his head?

What indeed. Durzo's story is as complicated as the man himself, and as layered. For such a short novella, the s
This entry in the Night Angel series is a 50-page short story with an excerpt for another novel attached, making a total of approximately 70 pages in the purchase. The story was actually published almost 3 years after the completion of the original trilogy.

This story was promoted as the backstory of Durzo Blint, which is another way of saying “prequel.” Therefore, since I had not yet started the trilogy, I felt that reading this backstory would give me a greater appreciation of the main characte
Gareth Otton
Perfect Shadow by Brent Weeks is a perfect example of the reason why I hate prequels.

Brent weeks is an excellent author. I have read all of his books to date save this one which I have avoided like the plague simply because it was a prequel. The Night Angel trilogy was an excellent debut series for this author and I did not want to see it ruined by reading sub par work.

Therefore, when my will finally crumbled and I read this book I was both happy and sad at the result.

The good news is that it
The Graphic Audio version of this seemed a little too much. All the grunting, explosions, and other loud noises seemed to really distract from paying attention to the dialogue and story. I'll hopefully be picking this up as an e-book version to see how it compares.
Free Books, .99 &...: The Perfect Shadow by Brent Weeks $0.99 1 5 Dec 08, 2014 01:18PM
  • Brayan's Gold (Demon Cycle, #1.5)
  • The Viscount and the Witch (Riyria Chronicles, #1.5)
  • A Dance of Blades (Shadowdance, #2)
  • The Reluctant Mage (Fisherman's Children, #2)
  • The Girl of Hrusch Avenue (Powder Mage, #0.5)
  • Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)
  • Dark Haven (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #3)
  • Awakening (Infinity Blade, #1)
  • The Penitent Damned (The Shadow Campaigns #0.5)
  • The Dark Thorn
Brent Weeks was born and raised in Montana. After getting his paper keys from Hillsdale College, Brent had brief stints walking the earth like Caine from Kung Fu, tending bar, and corrupting the youth. (Not at the same time.) He started writing on bar napkins, then on lesson plans, then full time. Eventually, someone paid him for it. Brent lives in Oregon with his wife, Kristi. He doesn’t own cats ...more
More about Brent Weeks...

Night Angel (3 books)
  • The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2) Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3) The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1) The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)

“There is only one question: Does what you do, every day, have meaning? Acaelus had thought his actions did, once. For centuries, he’d put his faith in Jorsin Alkestes. A long dead king. A madman who’d sworn he would return. Even from death. A madman who’d left madness everywhere in his wake.” 5 likes
“...but emptiness can't be threatened. Emptiness holds nothing dear. Emptiness knows no fear.” 3 likes