Start by marking “The Anthology of Really Important Modern Poetry: Timeless Poems by Snooki, John Boehner, Kanye West, and Other Well-Versed Celebrities” as Want to Read:

Required reading from great poets of our time. Drew Barrymore: “Upon Pondering Breasts.” Tom Cruise: “An Exegesis on Psychiatry.” Ann Coulter: “My Kind of Fun.” And Trump and Sheen and Snooki, John Boehner and Michelle Bachman, Miley and Ke$ha. Hugo Chavez. Even a Zen haiku by Emmitt Smith:

I think it’s his self-
confidence in himself that
makes him confident.

With their grea
Published March 27th 2012 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Anthology of Really Important Modern Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anthology of Really Important Modern Poetry

Sara
Mar 27, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Since I develop the poetry and humor sections at our public library (800s, yo!) one of the other librarians passed this ARC along to me. This book is a really pretty fun collection of found poems made from celebrity quotes that unfortunately doesn't seem to understand that actual contemporary poetry often uses things like found celebrity quotes. I understand it's easier to market this as a humor book and take the angle "wouldn't it be hilarious if we pretended the DUMB things celebrities said we ...more
Danielle Williams
Oct 10, 2012 Danielle Williams rated it liked it
Kayne West once said "My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live." Donald trump said "I am talking as a deal maker. I am a deal maker. I am a really good deal maker. I make great deals. That is what I do." If it wasn't for this book, I would not have been able to read these amazing quotes. I may go on Pinterest to find craft ideas to make these quote part of my everyday life. Thanks Anthology of Really Important Modern Poetry for sharing these words said by ...more
Katie
Apr 21, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
Biggest face palm ever!

Every time I open this book I don't know whether to laugh or cry. (That's not exactly true, I laughed pretty much the entire time!) It's beautiful. It's awful. It hurts. It's glorious. It's so bad it's good. It's my best find at a second hand book shop, hands down!

My personal favourite is Rush Limbaugh's "I Just Few In From Vegas and, Boy, Are My Arms Tired."
Katie
Oct 04, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
Some of these found poems are beautiful, some are shocking, some make you laugh--in the end you feel depressed, enlivened, mentally violated, but also mystified. Skip the snarky descriptions and just read the poems.
Christina
Jan 21, 2015 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I enjoyed this. How the authors presented the quotes — just adding line breaks, punctuation, etc. — to look more "poetic" makes nearly as much a point about poetry and what makes a poet as it does about celebrities.
Kari Mathias
Oct 28, 2013 Kari Mathias rated it really liked it
Unbelievably funny, and I'm not even talking about the "poetry" as much as I'm talking about the descriptions. It made me laugh out loud in public.
Molly
Sep 14, 2015 Molly rated it it was ok
I actually enjoyed it, sort of. Was saddened by it too. Way too much stupidity in there and it's actually frightening.
Sleepless
Aug 26, 2016 Sleepless rated it it was ok
Not that clever and mainly annoying. Come on, these people are famous for other things, they're not poets and that's okay. Stop mocking people for not being as educated or enlightened as you.
Suzanne
Aug 08, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Goofy, addicitive fun. Unbelievable things celebrities say, broken into lines of verse. Adds a certain gravitas to the inanity.
Nickolette
A perfect book to keep in the toilet.
Heather Jones
Sep 01, 2014 Heather Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
No, this isn't a timeless classic. But for what it is, the authors have executed their idea well. I liked it.
Rowan MacBean
Oct 25, 2013 Rowan MacBean rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, poetry
A fairly effective way to get yourself to laugh at some of the stupid, exasperating, and/or reprehensible things people in the media eye say.
Lydia Gordon
Nov 04, 2012 Lydia Gordon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library

My new favorite novelty book to bring out at parties.
Jenn Adams
Jenn Adams rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Ashley Branch
Ashley Branch rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2014
Sophia Chavez
Sophia Chavez rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Jadee
Jadee rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
Margaretta
Margaretta rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Amelia
Amelia rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Danielle Bailey
Danielle Bailey rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2017
Elizabeth Ramirez
Elizabeth Ramirez rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2016
Michael Smith
Michael Smith rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Cam
Cam rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Kelly
Dec 26, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, sharp, and painfully funny.
Max Berkowitz Carlin
Max Berkowitz Carlin rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2016
Kristel Harlacher
Kristel Harlacher rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Jessica Gibbs
Jessica Gibbs rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014