Loch

Loch (Zone Unknown #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  553 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Loch and his sister are with their father on a scientific expedition to track lake monsters. Their father's boss, Anthony Cavenger, a ruthless publishing mogul, is determined to prove that the legends are fact. Until now, it has been a fruitless exercise. But suddenly, on a routine exploration, a hideous water beast explodes out of the water, and a photographer, hoping to...more
Published (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Loch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loch

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHoles by Louis SacharThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanFledgling by Mark A. Cooper
Best Books for Reluctant Readers
142nd out of 748 books — 1,383 voters
Wait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing HahnScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyBehind the Attic Wall by Sylvia Cassedy
Spooky books for Kids
13th out of 71 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Heidi
What would happen if the Loch Ness monster really existed? What would happen if that monster lived in a lake in the United States? What would you do if it had a baby and that baby were being threatened by people who wanted it dead? find the answers to all of these questions by reading Loch; a great adventure about a Loch Ness monster in Lake Champlain and the kids trying to save it.
Kaitlyn Reynolds
I literally hated this book. No drama, no action, i couldbarely understand what was going on and what they were working with. I couldn't prnounce the equiptments names and the story was mind- boggling. Hear my loud and clear when i say: "DON'T DON'T DON'T READ THE AWFUL TERRIBLE BBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!"
Braxton F
I'm so facinated by this book. the detail on the landscape and monsters. The land scape is moutiness and rivers run in and out of caves. Water falls are every where falling every where from the rain that collects in little pools. that might have monsters in them.
Books Kids Like
World-renowned marine biologist Sam Perkins works with wealthy Anthony Cavenger on Mr. Cavenger's latest expedition. Stationed at Lake Alban, Vermont, they research claims that the lake is inhabited by great beasts called plesiosaurs. The largest plesiosaur male, Rogue, feels threatened and attacks the scientific team at every turn. When his aggressive actions cause several horrific deaths, Cavenger orders his men to kill the beasts on sight. Meanwhile, Loch (aka Luke) and Zaidee Perkins find a...more
Terri
Fifteen-year-old Luke Perkins, dubbed Loch since he claimed to have seen the Loch Ness Monster as a young boy, is fascinated by cryptids. His interest is fueled by following his oceanographer father around the world searching for proof of the existence of lake monsters. Loch and his little sister Zaidee miss the family life they had before their mother died and don't understand why their father allows his wealthy boss, Mr. Cavenger, to degrade and humiliate him. But nevertheless they love taggin...more
David II
I'm reaching way back with this one but this was a book that I could not put down as a kid and being fascinated by cryptozoology I still look back on it fondly. I read it when I was in the fifth grade and devoured every page. It's geared towards kids but it doesn't talk down to them and trusts that they can handle something more complex than a monster on the loose story. It still has some good scares and some intense moments, but at the same time it deals with ethics and handles the "monsters" i...more
Hector Gonzalez
Loch is a very engaging children's horror story, which is ironic considering you wouldn't want to scare your children before bed. But it's old school horror in that it doesn't feel it necessary to flash blood and dead bodies and murder to the reader as our tvs seem to believe is necessary these days. From a literary standpoint, this is a simple book to read considering it was made for children, but sometimes, it's more important for the reader to not need to be accompanied by a dictionary to rea...more
Suzanne Dix
This certainly had action and a happy (though totally unrealistic) ending. The writing was not the greatest and the dialogue at times was weak. I could recommend this book to reluctant readers, particularly boys.
Ashlei
One of my favorite books of all time when was Middle School. Lots of adventure and brings you through every emotion possible.
Ms. Yingling
Loch and his sister Zaidee are with their father at Lake Alban. He is working for the evil Mr. Cavenger, who is trying to find Loch Ness type creatures to "study". There are several in the lake; Rogue, who is the biggest and has killed a couple of people, and a smaller one. Then, Loch finds a baby pleiosaur he calls Wee Beastie and feeds ham sandwiches. Even though the older versions like to chomp people in half, Loch feels comfortable frolicking with the small one. When it becomes clear that Ca...more
Nadine
This book was a little disappointing to me. For one it could of been longer, it had a great story line to it but was cut too short. Second, the ending was predictable and I felt it left me hanging. I would though recommend this to young kids. Maybe the more books I read I become more critical of them because it did get great reviews. Happy Reading :)
Kay
Suprisingly, this book was actually pretty decent. The plot moved along pretty quickly, which I thought helped the book to steer clear of the boring waste of paper that it could have easily become. The one thing I really enjoyed about this book was the development of the characters. It's not very long, and I was suprised how quickly the characters all clicked to one another. However, I found the ending to be weak and unsatisfying, although it does takes an exceptional ending to really impress me...more
Luke Smith
This was one of those books that is ok but is not the best book you will ever read. It has the same storline as every other book in this world, the kids find the beast, hide it from the bad guys, and help it survive. It's not a book I would recommend to everyone, just elementary school kids. If I got a choice to read this book again i would not. There are some parts in the book that make you want to read more and there are also parts that don't. Like I said it was alright but just alright.
Dayna Smith
Loch is a young boy whose father is one of a team of scientists trying to find a monster in a lake in upstate New York. The question is, do they want to find it or kill it? Three kids try to save a baby plesiosaur from evil cryptozoologists and keep their families together at the same time. Zindel was a chemistry teacher and so brings scientific realism to a rather unrealistic story. This is a good pick for kids who don't like to read. It's easy, fun, and quickly engaging.
Francisco Palma
I thought that this book was a moderately good book to read. It wasnt the best book I've read, but it kept reading through the pages. The reason why I liked this book is because it had a good amount of suspense in it. There was some parts that I did'nt like because I couldn't understand it. For example, I had to read some parts several times because of how the author had it written. Some pages were confusing on the storyline. But it was really good throughout the story.
Kimberly
Cavenger got his just desserts. I am sorry for Sarah, but happy for Wee Beastie and all of them.
Rachel Brown
This has become one of my favorite books. I am very picky when I say that. Although I have read and like thousands of books, very few make it onto my favorites list. This book brought the elements of mystery, horror, and adventure rolled into one package of awesomeness. I highly suggest it to anyone trying to find a quick read to occupy a few hours of the day with.
Dennis
My son just read this book. He loved it. He's doesn't really like to read, and he couldn't put it down.It's about Loch Ness monsters in a lake in vermont. He read a few parts to me, sounded very exciting. Now he just ordered The Doom Stone, the next book in the series about a monster at Stone Henge. He's hooked! So nice to see him find something he likes to read.
Tracy
Audio book. We listened to this in the car on Spring Break, and everybody liked it a lot. Not for little ones, though, I would recommend nine and up. Lots of action, a little bit of gory death (only the bad guys), and a happy ending. The only reason its a four instead of five is that the narrator was not as good as others we've loved. (the Harry Pottery guy).
Bekka
It was a gut wrenching horrific book that I only recommend to people who can actually stomach this kind of reading. If you want to read these very detailed flesh tearing moments, then by all means read it. Enter if you dare, but i warned you!
Joan Stelter
Since I really enjoy books with lots of adventure, I did like this book and feel comfortable recommending it especially to boys. Just like Raptor a prehistoric animal is involved. The ending shows compassion for all living things!
Betty
I put this book down and thought, "they must make this into a movie starring leonardo dicaprio." well now, dicaprio is too old so they can use shia labeouf or zac efron. I just loved this book as a young girl. just loved it.
Jason Mcneil
This was on my son's reading list so I bought it for him so he could have a book on his new ipad. He absolutely loved it, and he's not a huge reader, but he couldn't put it down. So glad I got it for him.
Tyler Huntress
this story was awsome, it was about the lake champlain version of the loch ness monster. One child trys to protect the species while a group of men try to kill them.
 Alysha Mae : )
This book was so bad , I couldn't even get past the second page! I found this in the horor section . what it should be put under is the terrible section!
Megan
Not a very good book, at least to me. Not very well written, and the overall writing in the book was poor. The plot also wasn't as good as it could have been.
Stephen
I thought that the book had a lot of suspence. It also had a lot of twists in the story. It had many different thoughts in the story and it had a great ending.
Yasmin
This is a little bit of a guilty pleasure for me... But who can resist a story about a couple of kids and some gigantic prehistoric monsters?
Jennifer Patrick
Read for school with the boys. A fun twist on the Loch Ness Monter mystery. Also tied in family issues and teen angst. A fun little read.
  • Masters of Disaster
  • 42 Miles
  • Wolf Rider
  • Olivia Kidney
  • Vanishing Acts
  • The Journey That Saved Curious George: The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H.A. Rey
  • The Five Masks of Dr. Screem (Goosebumps: Hall of Horrors, #3)
  • The Terrorist
  • Drita, My Homegirl
  • The Case of the Halloween Ghost (Hank the Cowdog, #9)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps
  • Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth, #2)
  • Thaw
  • Under the Mountain
  • There Will Be Bears
  • Little Audrey
  • The Brooklyn Nine
  • Rescue Josh Mcguire
Paul Zindel was an American author, playwright and educator.

In 1964, he wrote The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, his first and most successful play. The play ran off-Broadway in 1970, and on Broadway in 1971. It won the 1971 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. It was also made into a 1972 movie by 20th Century Fox. Charlotte Zolotow, then a vice-president at Harper & Row (now Harper-...more
More about Paul Zindel...
The Pigman The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds My Darling, My Hamburger The Pigman's Legacy Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball