Start by marking “A Change of Habit: A Spiritual Journey from Sister Mary Kateri to Sister Mary Vodka” as Want to Read:

"A Change of Habit" recounts a spiritual journey that started when a religious eddy hurls seventeen-year-old Patty into a convent in the 1960s. Her deeply embedded guilt drives her to obey the Catholic Church, please her earthly father, and say yes to her heavenly Father. But in the convent, she fails to find happiness in religious rites and rules. Her time in the convent ...more
Published December 8th 2011 by Balboa Press

To ask other readers questions about A Change of Habit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Change of Habit

Isabel Pietri
Jun 24, 2015 Isabel Pietri rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who struggle with making life decisions, religion and spirituality.
Recommended to Isabel by: #RRBC
A CHANGE OF HABIT: A Spiritual Journey from Sister Mary Kateri to Sister Mary Vodka
By Patty Ptak Kogutek

A Change of Habit is a fast paced easy read. The author painstakingly takes the reader through her spiritual journey to find God and happiness.

Her descriptive writing drew me in immediately to experience her world, her life. One does not have to be Catholic to appreciate this book. In many instances, I identified with the author and her experiences.

The reader first meets Patty as a high scho
Tiffany
May 20, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
I bought this book at the San Francisco Book Festival in May 2013. I really enjoyed meeting the author. Since I've been into reading memoirs lately, I got the book. First of all, I found out that being a nun is not like the TV show, "The Flying Nun" or "The Sound of Music". This book gives a big insight to the Catholic church before and during the reformations of the 1960s.

It is a definite Baby Boomer perspective of growing up with the implied four areas for woman, mom, teacher, nun or secreta
Leslie Miller
Sep 25, 2012 Leslie Miller rated it it was amazing
I'm not Catholic but I LOVED this book.
An incredible journey and one of the finest books I've read.
M.M. Hudson
Aug 12, 2016 M.M. Hudson rated it really liked it
When I first saw this author's book being advertised somewhere, I knew I just had to read it. I did not want to read it because of the funky-sexy nun on the cover or for the title. I did not even want to read it because she lives here in my state. No, I wanted to read it because of this byline: "...Sister Mary Kateri to Sister Mary Vodka."

The truth is, I have known and seen many nuns/sisters in my life-time so, I thought this one had to be just absolutely crazy to write such a book or downright
Glen Stott
Nov 23, 2013 Glen Stott rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, biography
This is an autobiographical story of Ptak’s experiences struggling to find inner happiness through becoming a nun and then a wife all the while looking for her answers outside herself. After leaving the nunnery, and then a marriage, she finally finds her seven secrets to happiness. From there she was able to develop a full live and move into a success marriage – and then write a pretty good book. This book gives an interesting insight into what live as a Catholic nun is like.
Patricia Brooks
Jun 26, 2014 Patricia Brooks rated it it was amazing
This book is a heart wrenching journey of a young girl and her faith as she matures in to womanhood. I felt a kin to her although my experiences were very different.
The book is well written. And educated even this Catholic of about the same age , and so I suggest this as a book to help you free yourself of your past and be grateful for your life !
Elisabeth Davies
Nov 12, 2012 Elisabeth Davies rated it it was amazing
I liked A Change of Habit. Patty takes the reader on a journey of her life, starting in adolescence, by joining the convent, to discovering happiness outside of being a nun.
Pam M
Nov 15, 2013 Pam M added it
She should not have become a nun in the first place...
Dawn Eckstein
Dawn Eckstein rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Sheri
Sheri rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Barb
Barb rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2013
Becky Dulin
Becky Dulin rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2013
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Ursula
Ursula rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Claudia Mundell
Claudia Mundell rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2013
Patty Kogutek
Dec 22, 2011 Patty Kogutek rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Tirzah Turner
Tirzah Turner rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Linae Stoner
Linae Stoner rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Kailah
Kailah rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Carlin
Carlin rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2014
Diana Plinski
Diana Plinski rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2014
Maria Wroblewski
Maria Wroblewski rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Patrick O'Neill
Patrick O'Neill rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Linda Hunter
Linda Hunter rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Marla
Marla rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2012
Beth Bakhshi
Beth Bakhshi rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2012
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2013
Gayle
Gayle rated it really liked it
May 27, 2012
Patty Kogutek, author of “A Change of Habit,” and “G-Vites: Everyday Invitations from God” has helped thousands cure their anxiety, living “guilt-free.” Living as a Catholic nun for 7 years, and working her way through a 12 year failed marriage, Patty gathered “7 Secrets to Guilt-Free Living” that gave her the courage and the permission to finally follow her heart putting the expectation of others ...more
More about Patty Ptak Kogutek...

“Don't worry so much about making the correct decision in the eyes of others. Listen to the voice within.” 1 likes
“Happiness comes from listening to yourself and making choices that work for you, not others.” 1 likes