Start by marking “A Time for the Heart” as Want to Read:
A Time for the Heart

A Time for the Heart (Time Series #3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  564 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews

For Claire O'Brian, a bright and beautiful archaeologist, working at a newly discovered archaeological site in the wilds of Guatemala is her opportunity of a lifetime. Unfortunately, the dig is being funded by Darren Stark, her manipulative ex-boyfriend. And if that isn't enough, several rare artifacts have disappearedand Claire suspects everyone. Enter "Bump" St. James, a

Published September 1st 2000 by Covenant Communications Inc

To ask other readers questions about A Time for the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time for the Heart

Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
176th out of 500 books — 444 voters
Fablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull
Best of LDS Fiction
214th out of 272 books — 252 voters

More lists with this book...

Rosemary Cantrell
Jan 26, 2016 Rosemary Cantrell rated it liked it
This is the third book in the series. Again, it is by an LDS author, so is a clean romance. That is one thing in its favor. The characters are again different than the previous books, but related to them in various ways.

Claire is a sister of Tyler, from the second book. Jump is the boss of Liz, also from the previous book, and the owner of the private investigation agency. Claire is working her first archeological site after earning her masters. As valuable pieces begin to disappear, Jump is se
Natalie
Jul 13, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it
Nancy Campbell Allen continues to write excellent books. This book was set in the jungle at a made-up Mayan archeological dig. I'm glad she made up her own dig. A real site would have required a few too many details to make it realistic. As it is I can tell she did a fair amount of research about Mayan archeology and digs (I didn't run it by my archeology major husband or anything, but based on the second hand knowledge I have from him it sounded pretty accurate).

The things I liked best about t
Sara ♥
I'm sitting here, reflecting on the book... and I'm trying to think how on earth it could possibly have been 243 pages long. The font was quite large, I guess... I mean, I enjoyed it, but almost NOTHING happened the ENTIRE TIME except for Claire going on and on about not wanting to eat because she was so stressed out, Bump interviewing people around the archaeological site and promising he'd find out who was stealing stuff, Bump's friend Jon going on about his druggie past and how he had no goal ...more
Tiffany
Aug 29, 2015 Tiffany rated it liked it
This is a "Who done it?" mystery set in Guatemala at an fictional archaeology site. As a lover of ancient ruins, it was the picture of Tikal on the cover that caught my attention. It started slow and awkward, but eventually started to flow. The witty dialogue was the highlight of this book for me while everything else was average enough to enjoy, but not spectacular enough to remember.
Kathy ~ Bookworm Nation
Jul 02, 2008 Kathy ~ Bookworm Nation rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was a fun mystery novel. There are a few different possibilities of who has been stealing the artifacts and it was fun trying to figure out who it was. I really enjoyed Claire’s character. I liked that she was strong, hard working, passionate and loyal. I also thought Allen did a great job giving her characters believable problems, like Claire’s eating disorder. None of the characters were perfect and aside from all the work related problems they also had personal problems to deal with as w ...more
Emily
Jun 25, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
I loved Claire in the previous books, so I was excited to see she had her own story in the series. Bump is an amazing guy and I was in love with him right off! The parallel story of Queliza and Palome added just the right touch of historical intrigue.
Linnae
Nov 06, 2009 Linnae rated it liked it
Claire O'Brien has enough problems of her own to deal with, including recovery from an eating disorder, and a manipulative ex-boyfriend, but now there are priceless artifacts disappearing from her archeaological dig. Enter Bump St. James, a PI who's good friends with Claire's brother, and who is confident that he can get to the bottom of the mystery. Add a few ancient ruins, a fledgling branch of the church, and some chemistry, and...you can probably figure out the rest.

The love story overshadow
Patricia
Jan 21, 2013 Patricia rated it liked it
I wish these books were listed in series order because I seem to be reading these backwards. Frustrating. I liked this story, although not as well as the first one I read. I could predict "who done it." Already knowing some of the characters and how things turned out in a subsequent book (despite some of the predictability of romance plots themselves) kind of stole this book's thunder.
Christy VanDerwerken
Jan 30, 2010 Christy VanDerwerken rated it really liked it
I really like the character Bump in this book. I enjoyed reading all the ancient history that was included in this book and since I went to Chichen Itza in Mexico it was easy to imagine all the ruins they were uncovering. Of course there's a love story that reminds me of the way people fall in love and get married quick at BYU.
Holly
Aug 18, 2008 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Another great read for anyone who loved the first two books. Again, a stand-alone story with related characters, but completely different. It's set in a Mayan city, the main character an archeologist. There is a "parallel" ancient story with it that adds a different flavor and perspective to the main story.
Courtney
Apr 20, 2010 Courtney rated it liked it
It was pretty fluffy :) But it didn't kill me-- it was fun fluff, not obnoxious fluff and to me, that makes a big difference! It's okay to read something light every once and a while.

Also, I just like Nancy Campbell Allen... as a person... she's an online friend of sorts of mine :)
Brenda
Jan 03, 2010 Brenda rated it really liked it
Just what you're looking for when you read LDS mystery/romance. (Emphasis on romance) Clever story, great characters, fun insight into archaeology, and a cute falling in love story. I loved Bump from the last book and loved him getting his own story :)
Jenna
Aug 20, 2011 Jenna rated it really liked it
I think I liked this one the most out of the series. I love that each book is a separate story but it still connects to the other books. Enjoyable read with romance and suspense. I'd definitely read this one again.
Katie
Oct 02, 2010 Katie rated it it was amazing
I'm such a sucker for a good LDS romance novel. I pretty much like any that I pick up. I love romance and I don't have to worry about any trash when it is written by an LDS author.
Ann
Aug 11, 2009 Ann rated it it was amazing
I kinda had it figured out at the beginning but still a fun read. I was so caught up in the imagery that it made me want to go see the actual ruins in South America. It was fun to read.
Alyson
Nov 08, 2009 Alyson rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
After rereading Love Beyond Time, I decided to read a few more of the books by the same author. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Love Beyond Time, but it was enjoyable to read.
Torri
Dec 16, 2014 Torri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: proper-romance
Supper cute! Now i want to be an Archeologist! This book made me fall in love with not only Bump but Jon too. That made the next book "Echoes" really easy to pick up.
Rachel
Apr 19, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book about an LDS archaeologist working at a site in Guatemala. It was a fun read with some suspense and romance.
Melissa
Dec 11, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
I think this is the third book in the series. They can all be read interdependently but I like to read them in order. I love this author.
Chelsea Raadgep
Feb 02, 2010 Chelsea Raadgep rated it really liked it
Oh, how I loved it! It was suspensful, exciting, and it put me on edge the whole time I was reading it. Very well done!
Trina
Jan 01, 2012 Trina rated it really liked it
Pretty good book. A bit slow through the middle but picked up pretty quickly. I really liked the last half of the book.
Rebecca Dean
Apr 18, 2013 Rebecca Dean rated it liked it
I enjoyed the images of South America. The underlying story of people who lived there was interesting also.
Alicia
Nov 02, 2013 Alicia rated it liked it
Just another Mormon Romance Novel. An okay way to pass some time, but nothing that really grabbed me.
Lori
Sep 21, 2008 Lori rated it liked it
Archaeologist Claire working in Tikal...working to solve the mystery of the missing artifacts.
Michelle Christensen
Mar 29, 2016 Michelle Christensen rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
This was a fun, light romance. I enjoyed the setting among the archeological ruins.
Sharee
Jan 06, 2009 Sharee rated it liked it
Kind of slow and predictable, but I still enjoyed getting to know the characters
Amanda
Feb 25, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fluff
Huzzah for N.C. Allen!! I think she's officially my favorite author now!!
Hinerava
May 20, 2008 Hinerava rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to everyone. The story is well thought of and clean!
Whittney
Sep 12, 2008 Whittney rated it it was amazing
My all time FAVORITE book!! Silly romance novel, but so fun!
Lisa
Aug 20, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
Really liked it. Want to read other books of hers!
  • Some Sweet Day
  • Never Look Back
  • Lockdown (Saint Squad, #2)
  • This Just in
  • Faith of Our Fathers: To Make Men Free (Volume Two)
  • Shadow of the Crown
  • Emeralds and Espionage (Gems and Espionage, #1)
  • Finding Paradise