Start by marking “Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet” as Want to Read:
Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet

Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This 240-page book is the complete, authoritative guide to the history, techniques, and patterns of crochet -- and now it's been updated to reflect what's popular in crochet today. Expanded information is given in some areas, and the skill-building projects have been refreshed with up-to-the-minute patterns. Materials and basic techniques are clearly illustrated. Twenty-ni ...more
Published December 15th 2011 by Leisure Arts, Inc. (first published September 27th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet

Marie Segares
This is one of the first books I bought for my teaching library after becoming a CYC certified crochet teacher and instructor (in 2008). The book was published in 2002 and is part of a series of books by Donna Kooler that cover various needlecrafts. I recommend this book for many reasons but there are four elements of this book that really make it stand out as a classic.

1. It is organized in a "beginner friendly" manner.
2. It includes both left- and right-handed instructions, with illustrations.
penny
Apr 27, 2008 penny rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting to know more about crochet
I’m in the market for a really good crochet stitch dictionary. I’ve been crocheting forever but have never owned a dictionary and really haven’t known about more than the basic stitches plus “popcorn” (mmm.. popcorn). While I can’t really speak to the projects, I am impressed by the clear diagrams and the 164 included stitch patterns. I think I want more but Kooler has done a very nice job of describing the basics of crochet and included a very beautifully illustrated history of the craft. I lik ...more
Susan
This is an excellant book for learning, and being reminded of, crochet basics and more. The written instructions are clear. This is also a great book to learn to read pattern diagrams. It helps to learn the written and diagrams together. Once you learn how to read diagrams you'll be able to crochet patterns from around the world that are not in English but do have the diagrams. Along with basic stitches, there is a section on Tunisian crochet. There are some great patterns. There is also a secti ...more
Lil' Grogan
In general, like this as a beginner reference book. Some history, technique, big clear pictures of swatches, stitch patterns which are written and charted.

However, the specialty crochet only covers beads, wire and Tunisian; the technique section is sparse; and the small amount material doesn't fit my idea of an encyclopedia.
Devlyn
Palm Beach Library
Krista
This book seemed really complete in its coverage of all things crochet. Lots of photos of old crochet samples and hooks and a lot of information on lacemaking. The patterns were not too cute but there was a good section in the back that had stitch samples for afghans and trim. I did not follow any of the directions, so I can not say if they were complete or not.
Kiirsi Hellewell
While I am not especially taken with any of the patterns in this book, the stitch pattern guide at the back is EXCELLENT!! There are more than a hundred stitch patterns, motifs, laces, and edgings and they're all explained with written directions, symbols, and clear, colorful close-up pictures.
Jessica
This was given to me for Christmas by a family member who knew I had just taken up crocheting. I'm not really at the level yet to use the whole book since I only know one stitch, but I look forward to using it. The pictures in it are nice and there is a cute baby in one of the pictures.
Emma
I have a library copy but now I've renewed it 3 times I might have to buy it. It's a great source book for those times you forget how to do an extended double crochet.
Tracy
Loved it - I reference the pattern gallery regularly. Also has alot of good info on history of crochet, yarns, and tools. I highly recommend it!
Theresa
Good mix of patterns and pattern stitches. I made the cabled scarf out of it and loved it. It's inspiring to look through.
Jo
Really nice all-in-one book on crochet for all levels from absolute beginner to experienced.
Cutecrochet
Incredible photographs of stitches that are really inspiring!
Elzaffa
This is the best shelf teaching crochet book ever. hands down.
Mary
so cool! and it shows how to read those stitch grafts
Jacqi
Need to buy. Very handy reference.
Kathleen Dixon
Thorough but unexciting.
Caroline Tarau
Caroline Tarau marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Sukhita
Sukhita marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Bri
Bri marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Kendra
Kendra added it
Apr 13, 2015
Lisa Condra
Lisa Condra marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Crochet Villa
Crochet Villa marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Emily Taylor
Emily Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Jessie Cumpson
Jessie Cumpson marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
  • 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix and Match
  • The Crochet Stitch Bible
  • The Crochet Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask
  • The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs: 500 Classic & Original Patterns
  • Hip to Crochet
  • Simple Crochet
  • 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More
  • The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet, 2nd Edition: *All You Need to Know to Crochet *The Essential Reference for Novice and Expert Crocheters *Comprehensive Guide to Crochet Tools and Techniques *Packed with Hundreds of Tips and Ideas *Step-by-Step Inst...
  • Crochet Me
  • Amazing Crochet Lace: New Fashions Inspired by Old-Fashioned Lace
  • Loop-d-Loop Crochet: More Than 25 Novel Designs for Crocheters (and Kntters Taking Up the Hook)
  • Amigurumi Two!: Crocheted Toys for Me and You and Baby Too
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More Than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns
  • Mr. Funky's Super Crochet Wonderful
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
  • Crochet Inspiration
  • Crochet Stitches Visual Encyclopedia: 300 Stitch Patterns, Edgings, and More
  • Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!
Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Knitting (Leisure Arts #15914) Donna Kooler's 555 Fabulous Cross-Stitch Patterns Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Needlework (Leisure Arts #15861) Donna Kooler's 555 Cross-Stitch Sampler Motifs Donna Kooler's Crocheted Afghans