One Voice Raised: A Triumph Over Rape

One Voice Raised: A Triumph Over Rape

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  4 reviews
2013 ELit Bronze Medal Winner-True Crime One Voice Raised: A Triumph Over Rape "Look at me and I'll kill you!" Early in the morning of August 21, 1988, an unknown assailant climbed onto the balcony to the open door of Jennifer Wheatley's home, crept down the stairs, entered her first floor bedroom, and waited for her in the dark. As he grabbed her and pulled something tigh...more
Published November 15th 2011 by Current Tome Publishing

To ask other readers questions about One Voice Raised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Voice Raised

Eric Tipton
My wife lent this to me to read because it is a local story and one of our police officer friends was involved in the case. The book gives a first person account of how Jennifer Wheatley survived a brutal rape, and rebuilt her life, even as the case went cold for 20 years, and then what its like to finally make it to trial and experience our justice system for real, not just like in movies or tv.

Kaelyn
There are so many things in this world, important things, that nobody likes to talk about. It is uncomfortable, awkward, an unpleasant experience by any count. Does that mean that we shouldn’t talk about them? Do we really think that silence is capable of erasing truth? No. And no. Einstein once said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Isn’t that exactly the case with rape? Haven’t men been violating women since the dawn of time? Haven’t the...more
Lynda Kelly
A great, great shame. I really wanted to read this but thanks to formatting errors I've deleted it after having only got through 20%.
The word restaurant was misspelled, the photos and diagrams were missing from the Kindle version and most aggravating of all were random chapter headings just plonked into the text !! THAT occurred 5 times before I'd had enough.
Such a pity as I liked Jennifer and really wanted to know how she went along. Let's hope a revised edition is released at some point in the...more
Anna
Kudos for Jennifer writing about her experience. I realize this was probably cathartic for her, however, by the time I finished the book I had read the account of the rape 3 or 4 times. I feel horrible saying that it felt redundant. Someone who has a real interest in law and court proceedings may be interested in this work, since Jennifer includes almost complete transcripts from multiple witnesses from the trial.
Tumai
Tumai marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Rachael Steil
Rachael Steil marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Phoebe
Phoebe marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Samjason Reula
Samjason Reula marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Gabby Whitmore
Gabby Whitmore marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Alicia House
Alicia House marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Lynng
Lynng marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Jo Ann
Jo Ann is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2013
Jeremy Borgia
Jeremy Borgia marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
kb
kb marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Megan Chang
Megan Chang marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
DeDe
DeDe marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Keli
Keli marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013