Start by marking “Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1)

Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc #1)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,381 Ratings  ·  212 Reviews
Many tales are told of the Syldoon Empire and its fearsome soldiers, who are known throughout the world for their treachery and atrocities. Some say that the Syldoon eat virgins and babies–or perhaps their own mothers. Arkamondos, a bookish young scribe, suspects that the Syldoon’s dire reputation may have grown in the retelling, but he’s about to find out for himself.

Hire
Published May 1st 2012 by Night Shade Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Scourge of the Betrayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scourge of the Betrayer

Mark Lawrence
So, I liked this book a lot. Jeff Salyards is a good story teller and the book leads you on easily - it's never a chore & that's an achievement right there. Most novels have dull spots, Scourge went down smooth and swift.

It's a book with plenty of violence, small scale frays take up a fair portion of the narrative - people aren't simply cut down and forgotten, the combats are detailed and protracted, there are no supermen here.

Scourge of the Betrayer's really novel aspect happens to be one t
Bookwraiths
Feb 26, 2016 Bookwraiths rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, library, grimdark
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

Scourge of the Betrayer is one of those rare books. A novel that takes the familiar tropes of a particular genre, tweaks them ever so slightly until you (a long time reader) find that your expectations of that genre have been suddenly raised to a new level.

And how did Jeff Salyards do that, you ask?

Well, mainly, he did it by refusing to be confined by the familiar, formulaic pattern of grimdark fantasy. Where most “grims” cover their pages with equal parts gor
Jeff Salyards
Mar 21, 2014 Jeff Salyards added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is the best book Salyards has written to date. No joke. In the interest of transparency, I have to confess I have a mad man-crush on the guy. In fact, some might accuse me of stalking him. Which is stupid to admit, I know--if someone ever took Salyards out, I'm sure I'd be a serious person of interest.

Anyway, the book is pretty good. Give it a look.
seak
Aug 04, 2012 seak rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review, 2012
Arki, short for Arkamandos, has been hired on as a scribe by a band of Syldoon, the most feared and treacherous soldiers in the world. Why did he accept this work? Well, it seemed a good idea at the time - he just wanted to get out and maybe see a little more adventure.

This may have also been the worst decision of his life.

As mentioned, the Syldoon aren't the kindest of people, nor are they even that pleasant to have a drink with (as we learn early on). They have some sort of plan, of which not
Bob Milne
Apr 17, 2012 Bob Milne rated it liked it
I actually finished Scourge of the Betrayer last week, but it's taken me a few days to decide precisely how to approach a review. It's such an oddly structured novel, and one that forgoes so many genre cliches, I wanted to give myself time to separate the novelty of the reading experience from the story itself.

Most fantasy novels begin with a very clear explanation of who the characters are, what the story is about, and where the story is going; the author immediately defines a goal, a destinati
Mogsy (MMOGC)
May 27, 2014 Mogsy (MMOGC) rated it really liked it
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

UPDATED: Interview with the author http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

If you want to see a cool way to tackle dark fantasy, look no further than this novel. It'd been sitting on my shelf for a while, and earlier this month I finally picked it up. It didn't take more than a few pages for me to realize I was looking at a very special book.

Jeff Salyards' approach to storytelling gave me a very unique experience. For on
Milda Page Runner
Very enjoyable grim-dark fantasy read. Awesome action/fight scenes, savoury cynical characters, plenty of foul language and black humour. Recommended for epic and grim-dark fantasy readers, especially Abercombie and G.Cook fans.

==========
I could’ve chosen any scribe to record this, but I chose you. Among many. And you’ll have the rarest of opportunities to record something exceptional firsthand. For now, I’ll tell you this much. All empires crumble. All borders change. All kingdoms die. Where I’
Molly
Oct 25, 2015 Molly rated it really liked it
Not bad, not bad at all.

Rating, 4.5

Despite the pretty low GR rating of 3.54, it was a fairly great first book. Not perfect ... but also without a dull moment.

Review to come ....
Laura Hughes
Apr 16, 2016 Laura Hughes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Scourge of the Betrayer’ is a book that’s been lurking amidst the dusty, long-forgotten recesses of my Amazon wishlist for over three years. Now that I’ve finally gotten around to finishing it I’m kicking myself for having waited so long.

It was social media that recently put the series back on my radar: after a few weeks of being regularly entertained by the Salyards’ laugh-out-loud Facebook posts I decided it was high time I checked out his fiction.

Imagine my surprise and pleasure when I found
Emma
Apr 21, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up. Fast paced and action packed, this book is quite short and well worth reading. It is dark and grim but this doesn't bog you down. Interesting characters and an interesting world. I enjoyed the way Arki, our main protagonist became more and more entangled with the troop and how he develops and changes over the course of the book.I will definitely be reading the next in the series.
Nathan
May 29, 2014 Nathan rated it really liked it
Fantasy Review Barn

If I were a scribe who had spent my life dealing with stories from the dullest people in the world would I have taken the opportunity? Would I have dropped what I was doing and taken commission from a band of warriors? Syldoon warriors, men rumored to be the nastiest of nasty; would I have willingly gone with them with no direction and no assurances of what was to come?

Damn right I would.

This is a book that deals with the smaller scale by design. There is no epic war going on,
David
Feb 28, 2016 David rated it it was amazing
2016 Re-review:
Really loved this book on a second reading. A superior Fantasy novel. Somewhat Grimdark. Kinda Sword & Sorcery. A wee tad like Joe Abercrombie. Mostly it's own singular thing. Character heavy with some terrific action sequences. Masterful world-building, slowly revealed without dense exposition or infodumps. Gracefully told.

Jumping right into book 2.

[2013 review] I waited for the full length of the novel for it to really get going. Perhaps my expectations were wrong. This is
Katy
Jan 09, 2016 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of quest fantasy, military-based stories
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Fantasy – Quest fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of quest fantasy, those who enjoy watching someone naïve grow and learn

My Thoughts: This book is told from Arki’s point of view, and as an observant young man and scribe, we’re treated to a much different view of the world than we would have if we were to watch these same events through any of the captain’s team. Watching the events as an outsider was quite fascinating, and I have to give the author props for main
Zachary Jernigan
Oct 18, 2013 Zachary Jernigan rated it it was amazing
OBJECTIVE RATING (my best stab at looking at the book's merits, regardless of whether or not I enjoyed it all that much): 4.5

PERSONAL RATING (how much the book "worked" for me personally): 4.5

In the acknowledgements, Salyards thanks his agent for "believing in fantasy more intimate than epic." Clearly, he's thought a great deal about the impact this book will have on the right reader. For myself, I was riveted--not only by the fight scenes, of which there are many, well crafted; nor by the world
Freakout
Apr 02, 2016 Freakout rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, fantasy
very good debut
Janny
Feb 15, 2016 Janny added it
I enjoyed this book, which is huge, not being a rabid fan of the grit and the grim. What made it outstanding was the choice of protagonists. Picture a young, naive (somewhat), scribe - educated but wet behind the ears - being hired by what amounts to The Black Company. His plunge into adventure is severe culture shock. But it made the book an edge of the seat read for two reasons:

The witty, black humor dialogue among the company cohorts. The very strange mystery behind their smooth talking capta
Timothy Ward
May 02, 2014 Timothy Ward rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2014, grimdark
Reviewed at Adventures in SciFi Publishing

Not only are there a lot of Fantasy books out there to choose from, Grimdark no less, but in the next three months I have a large stack of books coming out that are all competing for this genre’s attention. I’m not going to list those other books because Jeff Salyards' book, Scourge of the Betrayer, deserves to be cracked open. You can even enjoy the fact that the sequel, Veil of Deserters, comes out mid-May and picks up right where Scourge left off.

Scou
Jenna Kathleen
May 17, 2016 Jenna Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminiscent of The Black Company, only better.
Arki's POV is unique in that he is not truly the protagonist; he is only recording what the main character, Captain Braylar Killcoin, is doing. Most of the time, Arki doesn't know what is happening, and therefore, the reader also doesn't know. Looking at the story through Arki's eyes is such great fun to try to guess what the motivations behind decisions are, and trying to discern when Braylar and the Syldoons are lying to him.
When reading darker fa
Michael Fletcher
Apr 11, 2016 Michael Fletcher rated it it was amazing
More intimate than epic.

This was a fantastic read. Can't wait to get into the next one.
Lisa
May 08, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2016/0...

The final book in the Bloodsounder’s Arc recently released, and the number of trusted sources that not just recommend, but highly recommend the series just could not be ignored any more. What I have heard is this first book is really good, but the next two are amazing. So, I went into this with solid expectations of a good read, and hopes of getting started in a fantastic series.

So far, my friends have not led me astray. The s
Paul Nelson
Jun 26, 2012 Paul Nelson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
Really enjoyed this, my only complaint would be it was to short and deserved to be a bigger novel. The story is excellent and also the characters - there is the goody two shoes scribe Arki who concentrates on not killing anyone, the mysterious Captain Braylar with a sinister possessed flail who is the outstanding character of the book and his company of men who's interaction is often humorous, typical of soldiers who work closely together for long periods of time.
The story is tense and violent a
Monica
Jul 27, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it
This is a great novel, and it is perfect for fans of military fantasy. The pace of the novel is rather slow, as the author gives every detail of the narrator's experience. The most exciting parts of the novel for me were definitely the battle scenes, but the entire book exudes a sense of realism that is often hard to find in the fantasy genre. As for tone, I found the novel to be a cross between Joe Abercrombie and Glen Cook's novels. This is definitely a unique dark fantasy, and I am looking fo ...more
Tracey the Lizard Queen
Oct 28, 2015 Tracey the Lizard Queen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2015-reads
Solid start to a very intruiging story. I particularly loved the first person POV. Often its quite easy to become de-sensitised to the violence and death in books, but this was refreshing in a sense that the main protaganist is just a lowly scribe completely unused to the soldiering life. A different take on military fantasy, and excicuted very well. I think I will like this series very much!
Marielle Ooms-Voges
Apr 29, 2016 Marielle Ooms-Voges rated it really liked it
I was struggling in the beginning to know who was who and what was going on. But halfway through I really started to enjoy this story. It got better and better and I am now really looking forward to reading book 2.
Kitvaria
I really enjoyed the main character, whose POV we follow throughout the book. He was a nice change to all the hardened warriors and talented killers im grim books.

I wouldn't have needed as much pissing and shitting for my personal enjoyment, and also I would have liked a bit more plot. Mostly they were either journeying or fighting.

I did like the dialogues and had some outbursts of laughing, which is a good thing!

Overall it was a nice change from the often to similar fantasy novels out there, a
Apr 29, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
There is more here than meets the eye. Scourge of the Betrayer starts fairly slow and it does take some time to fully grip the reader, but the action is nearly nonstop, and the grit is plentiful, which will appeal to fans of Joe Abercrombie and his ilk. The refreshing perspective of an unsoldierly scholar is incredibly unique. While there are some issues with world building, and some readers might take issue with the perspective the story is being told from, there is plenty here to celebrate. Sc ...more
Bart
Oct 21, 2014 Bart rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
Very good novel. I particularly liked the intimate writing, rich of details; the realistic approach to how a scribe perceives and experiences the life of soldiers and their skirmishes and battles; and last but not least the that we only get to know the bigger story in a very slow and fragmented way together with Arki. A lot of questions remain unanswered though, so bring on the second book!

4 stars
Alissa
Mar 05, 2016 Alissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
The rest of you can do what you like with your hours. Drink, dice, what have you. Only don’t tussle with the city watch, don’t draw attention to yourself, and don’t spill any blood.”
Vendurro shook his head, “So, lock ourselves in our rooms is what you’re saying?”
Lynn Williams
Jan 26, 2016 Lynn Williams rated it really liked it
What a great start. Very strong 4 stars.
Scourge of the Betrayer is the first of the Bloodsounder’s Arc series by Jeff Salyards. I really enjoyed this I have to say although when it comes down to writing a review I confess it’s quite difficult.

The story follows a relatively small band of characters, soldiers, on something of a military adventure. We get off to an immediate start and learn in relatively short order a few of the key characters and what they’r
PickinDavis
Mar 21, 2014 PickinDavis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Edit: Original review I tilted to 2 stars. Decreasing to 1 star to offset the authors own rating of 5 stars. Don't be a douchebag author and rate your own book 5 stars.

Scourge of the Betrayer... what to say?

To start with, I may be able to save you some time and money by revising the description of this story to 'Captain Killcoin orders somebody (usually, but not limited to, his own men under his command) to do something, they question his authority, and then we get 10 pages of Killcoin putting o
Grimdark Fantasy: * Scourge of the Betrayer (Spoilers) 41 32 14 hours, 19 min ago
Grimdark Fantasy: * Scourge of the Betrayer- Author Q&A (Spoilers!) 20 24 14 hours, 22 min ago
Grimdark Fantasy: * Scourge of the Betrayer (No Spoilers) 28 26 May 14, 2016 06:55PM
/r/Fantasy Discus...: Author Q&A! 1 16 May 06, 2016 06:09AM
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • The Heresy Within (The Ties That Bind, #1)
  • Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven, #1)
  • The Black Guard (The Long War, #1)
  • The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1)
  • Sharps
  • The Crimson Shield (Gallow, #1)
  • Moon's Artifice (The Empire of a Hundred Houses, #1)
  • Miserere: An Autumn Tale
  • Age of Iron (Iron Age, #1)
  • The Barrow
  • The Ten Thousand (The Macht #1)
  • The Alchemist of Souls (Night's Masque, #1)
  • The Lascar's Dagger (The Forsaken Lands, #1)
  • The Scar
  • Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun, #1)
  • The Emperor's Knife (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #1)
  • The Desert of Souls (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand #1)
I grew up in a small town north of Chicago. While it wasn't Mayberry, with all the doors unlocked and everyone offering each other slices of pie and quaint homilies, it was pretty quiet and sleepy, so I got started early imagining my way into all kinds of other worlds and universes that were loud, chaotic, and full of irrepressible characters and heaps of danger. Massive explosions. Tentacled alie ...more
More about Jeff Salyards...

Bloodsounder's Arc (3 books)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • Chains of the Heretic (Bloodsounder's Arc, #3)

“I'll tell you this much. Men think memories are like murals or statues or truth or whatever happened, never changes none. But that ain't so. They can capture the untruth of something, just as easy. They can change, especially as time leads to time.

(...)
To each man himself, his memories seems as solid and factual as a stone mosaic, an urn he could turn around and heft, a flower he could sniff. But when I go inside another, I don't see it or feel it like that. Everything is shimmery, shifting, like it's bathed in mist and shadow, like... like walking down the foggiest street you can think of, with everything looking not like itself at all.”
4 likes
“Gurdinn ignored him, still speaking to the baron. “I would sooner soak my cock in honey and ask a bear not to bite than trust a Black Noose, my lord.”
Braylar clapped and said, “I wouldn’t have suspected you of such colorful wit, Captain Honeycock. You’re a man of surprising gifts.”
Gurdinn wheeled on him, hand on his sword. “Shut your mouth, right quick.”
3 likes