The Last Justice

The Last Justice

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  60 reviews
CHAOS ERUPTS at the U.S. Supreme Court when an assassin guns down six justices as they are hearing a case. Solicitor General Jefferson McKenna, the government's top lawyer in the Supreme Court, is appointed to the multiagency commission investigating the murders. As Congress draws battle lines over who will replace the slain justices, the commission follows clue after clue...more
Published February 7th 2012 by Sterling & Ross Publishers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Justice

Rick F.
SUPERB- FAST MOVING DEBUT- MAKINGS OF A REAL WINNER!!! my initial reactions to THE LAST JUSTICE...and I am happy to say- INDEED -HAVING COMPLETED IT.. THIS BOOK IS A WINNER!!

"CHAOS ERUPTS at the U.S. Supreme Court when an assassin guns down six justices as they are hearing a case.

Solicitor General Jefferson McKenna, the government's top lawyer in the Supreme Court, is appointed to the multiagency commission investigating the murders. As Congress draws battle lines over who will replace the sla...more
Chuck
Very authentic and believable even if the basic premise is a bit far-fetched. The protagonist is not all pearly white but he's definitely human (although you'll see him doing some out-and-out superheroics as well). In fact, I found almost all of the characters plausible, with lots of focus on the serpentine maneuverings of politics/law/crime and (extremely) personal lives, especially the secrets we all have and hope never surface. It truly shows how some can move away from their past and other a...more
Una Tiers
3 3-1/2 stars. The plot was interesting, characters not developed. Flipping from one crisis to another solved in seconds was distracting. The formatting errors were annoying. Nice debut novel.
Victor Gentile
Anthony J. Franze in his new book, “The Last Justice” published by Sterling & Ross Publishers takes us into the life of Solicitor General Jefferson McKenna.

From the inside jacket flap: CHAOS ERUPTS at the U.S. Supreme Court when an assassin guns down six justices as they are hearing a case.

Solicitor General Jefferson McKenna, the government’s top lawyer in the Supreme Court, is appointed to the multiagency commission investigating the murders. As Congress draws battle lines over who will rep...more
Matt
A decent thriller/mystery all about the US Supreme court has a reader who enjoys this genre of book intrigued from the beginning. Franze uses his first novel to examine the mystery behind the murder of 6 Justices in one of the bloodiest events in US history (his words in the narration). He does a decent job laying out the story, advancing the characters, and keeping things moving on many planes, though sometimes I felt as though we had too many things going on to really keep the story moving eff...more
Tami
I haven't received my copy yet, just got notification that I had won. 3/1/12
I received my copy yesterday and hope to start it soon. I have 6 plus my current read in front. 3/9/12
Just started this morning. 4/12/12
Finished yesterday 4/15/12

A gunman opens fire on the supreme court. He hits several justices and is taken by surprise when the Chief Justice shoots back. The court officers end up shooting and killing the Chief Justice mistakenly thinking he was the gunman responsible for the others deat...more
Anand
This is not exactly a legal thriller, but more of a murder mystery with the politics of the US judicial system as its backdrop.

The story revolves around the assassination of 6 Supreme Court judges, and the investigations that follow. In the process of finding the truth, the Solicitor General of US (I didn't even know one existed, but then, what do I know of the US judicial system in any case), the protagonist of this novel, get's implicated as the suspect behind not just these assassinations bu...more
Valentina
"It's unbelievable," Assad said. "All this so he could be nominated to the Supreme Court?" Pacini shrugged, "Welcome to Washington."

This was the first book I won through Goodreads First Reads so therefore, I was super excited to start reading it! Because of the failures of other mystery/thriller novels that included main aspects of government, I was a bit skeptical of whether or not I would actually enjoy the book but now after completing it, I can easily say that this book was fantastic (and it...more
Carlee
Premise: a gunman opens fire in the courtroom of the US Supreme Court and kills five justices. A sixth justice (Chief Justice Kincaid) is accidentally killed by police when he pulls out his gun to shoot the gunman.

Plot: Solicitor General Jefferson McKenna testifies before the Black Wednesday commission - he believes those responsible must have been trying to delay the Supreme Court from ruling on a case and identifies two cases most likely to be involved.

A bunch of people with connections to Mc...more
Nancy
Solid whodunit. A rather frightening supposition.... the killing of multiple Supreme Court Justices. It does make you consider the implications. The Executive Branch has a line of succession. The Legislative Branch has a line of succession. The Judicial Branch? No........ And what are the implications if more than one seat is suddenly vacant?

Anyway.... the twists were plentiful. Is the ending satisfying? Well, that's why this is four instead of five stars. I would have like another chapter to ti...more
Colin
The Last Justice is a page-turner mystery. It also provides information about the inner workings of the Supreme Court of the United States and the Solicitor General, and how the Court might be attacked.

Without giving away too much, I found three things I wish the author had explained better (see spoilers section below). Despite these quibbles, the book is a good read, and I've recommended it to some of my friends who told me they also enjoyed reading The Last Justice.

Possible spoilers ahead!

Firs...more
David Caldwell
I won a copy on Goodreads Firstreads.

The author has definitely done his research before writing this novel.It is very authentic and believable in all of its details.The basic premise of the story is a little hard to believe though.
At times it is hard to believe some of the luck of the characters with split second escapes and catching the perfect lead.The characters are very realistic,not just cardboard cutouts of people. You get to learn about their lives beyond just the necessary elememnts for...more
Richelle
January 2013 Club read
Overall our book group ratings hovered around a 4 or 5 with a few people who liked it more for its pure entertainment value. I personally did not enjoy reading the story. I found the characters lacking in development, and often felt as if I were bouncing from scene to scene in a frantic manner. That being said, I did find the descriptions of how the US judicial system works interesting, as I had little understanding of that prior to reading the book. I also found the idea o...more
Joy
I won an advance review copy through goodreads.

Very nicely done novel. I was surprised to read that this was Anthony J. Franze's first novel. The characters, although they were "deep", it was only hinted at. There was no long insightful background to make the reader "feel" the character, yet you knew where each character was coming from. You KNEW each character's character through snipets of info the author provided without delving deep into it. Does that make sense? Kind of like you already kno...more
Seun Omo
I love legal thrillers, and this was worth the purchase. It is a thrilling read and very fast paced.
I doubt I would have read this had I not been given it free because the author works at my firm, but it was a decently entertaining book--probably 2.5 stars. It goes quickly (a legal thriller in under 250 pages?) and there are aspects that are kind of fun, like a lot of DC sights, but the author gets way too caught up trying to teach you about the Supreme Court or describe things in DC. Do you really need to describe the Mall, McLean, Chevy Chase, etc.? People from DC already know it and people...more
Jane
This was an excellent mystery/thriller! I received it as a publisher promo on Kindle, but that has nothing to do with the excellent rating. This book is terrific! Several times I thought that I had the "whodunit" figured out, but the twists and turns that the plot takes proved me wrong each time.

The Last Justicewill keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end.
Jon
This book was won in a first reads give away.

This book was an excellent, enthralling, and fast read. The book starts out quickly with the incident that starts everything. The reader follows two groups of characters: one is the suspect and the other the detectives. The flow between the two groups is very smooth which keeps the reader from becoming confused with the happenings of the two groups. The ending comes quickly but in no way ruins the book.
Becky
Well, this one earns a 3-star rating that includes the loss of 1-star for language.

My main problem with this book was the number of characters. I had to go back several times and remind myself who the character was. With all the threads, at times it was a bit cumbersome. However, the author succeeded in wrapping things up satisfactorily. The villain was no surprise, but who he really was caught me off guard.
Joyce

This novel captivated me from the first page. Six Supreme Court Justices are murdered in the Court and the killer escapes. Much of the evidence points to the Solicitor General, who runs from potential custody. He and his #2, a female attorney who is thoroughly law and order, begin investigating the murders and possible causes. The plot is complex, the characters interesting. It is good reading.
Larry
This book was a nice easy read. The plot was easy to grasp and even if I wasn't on the edge of my chair trying to figure out who done it I still found it intriguing. The premise that two thirds of the supreme court were killed may have been a stretch but it left lots of room for trying to solve this mystery. I liked the writers style and will look to read other books by him.
Erin
Wow, really enjoyed reading this book and think its a great well written fast paced book. It takes off and never slowed down. This is a suspense thriller while set in the world of politics it is not bogged down with a lot of legal mumbojumbo. I look forward to Mr. Franze's next book because he set the bar high with The Last Justice, very well done book!
Deb
A friend recommended this book to me before I left for vacation. I bought it figuring it would be a good beach read. The Last Justice is amazing! I could not put it down and stayed up late my first night on vacation to finish this book. It was fast-paced, exciting and kept me guessing the whole time. I loved the book and would highly recommend it!
Christy
This was a good book and gave me information I didn't know about the Supreme Court. I liked McKenna and Porter and the relationship they have. I enjoyed the many twists in the book to keep me guessing as to who was behind it all and who knew what. My only complaint is that there were almost too many characters to keep up with.
Candy
This was a pretty good book and a quick read as well. Court justices have been targeted and killed. In trying to find the hit man a justice is getting set up to take the fall. He knows he is innocent and goes out to prove his innocence, find the killer, and get justice for those who have been killed.
Shirley
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. For a first book, it was amazing. Fast paced, riveting and quite a surprise ending. Gave you just enough legal information to understand and not overwhelm you. I hope to see more from this author and will be on the lookout. Thank you so much for the goodread book.
Judy Wise
This story is about finding out who iklled a Supreme Court Judge and other people people in Washington. There are so many people in the story that I had a hard time keeping them straight. I kept looking back to see who they are. Sometimes in the next chapter I would where they were ar.
Eric
A good, fast paced read. It certainly help my attention through day on planes.

But I must moment on the poor formatting with often distracting misshapen text. Shame on Amazon for releasing such poor quality material - physically poor, not literarily poor.
Lynn C.
Fast-paced and exciting -- I could not put this book down! I bought this book for a beach read and finished it well before my vacation was over. I highly and enthusiastically recommend this if you love a great thriller. You won't be disappointed!
Heather
I won this book on goodreads. It was a fast moving book from start to finish. I had a good plotline and was easy to follow. Congratulations to Anthony Franze on your first book, I will be watching for more of your books to come.
  • Trial Junkies
  • The Brimstone Murders: A Jimmy O'Brien Mystery Novel
  • The Geronimo Breach
  • Buying Time (Aspen Moore, #1)
  • The Toymaker
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • Bold Counsel (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #3)
  • Plummet
  • Identity: Lost
  • The Ninth District   A Thriller (Volume 1)
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Black Oil, Red Blood
  • Capitol Reflections
  • Pushed Too Far
  • A Dangerous Harbor
  • Silent Counsel
  • The 19th Element (James Becker, #1)
  • Solomon vs. Lord (Solomon vs. Lord, #1)
Anthony J. Franze is a lawyer in the Appellate and Supreme Court practice of a major Washington, D.C. law firm where he has represented clients in more than thirty cases in the U.S. Supreme Court. Anthony also is an adjunct professor of law and a frequent legal commentator for several news outlets. His debut novel, THE LAST JUSTICE, was an Amazon bestseller and he currently is finalizing his next...more
More about Anthony J. Franze...
Brand Integrity: Strategies for Fighting Contraband and Counterfeit Goods Suspense Magazine February 2013 Suspense Magazine September 2012