Start by marking “The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife” as Want to Read:
The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife

The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife

When Kobie Krüger, her game-ranger husband and their three young daughters moved to one of the most isolated corners of the world - a remote ranger station in the Mahlangeni region of South Africa's vast Kruger National Park - she might have worried that she would become engulfed with loneliness and boredom.

But running a household and raising a family in a place where leop
Published January 1st 2001 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wilderness Family, please sign up.

PoachingFacts Kay, The Wilderness Family is a warm and vibrant depiction of the Krüger family’s life. It is full of humorous and touching anecdotes about life in…moreKay, The Wilderness Family is a warm and vibrant depiction of the Krüger family’s life. It is full of humorous and touching anecdotes about life in Kruger National Park and the many wonderful encounters with wildlife that they had. While there are moments of suspense and danger, the book carries a very happy, positive theme. I think you'll enjoy it!(less)

PoachingFacts
Apr 07, 2016 PoachingFacts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: naturalists, animal lovers, cat lovers, young people
(See our Further Reading section at the bottom of the review for more books like this!)

It’s rare for a memoir about a family living a truly unique lifestyle to be so genuine in its telling and so accessible to readers who have never lived, and may not have ever visited or even imagined living, in one of the world’s most famous wildlife parks. But Kobie Krüger does a skillful job of creating a warm and vibrant depiction of the reality of the South African Lowveld in her family’s memoir The Wilder
Naomi Sarah
My mother, although, like me, is not a huge fan of animal books, is a huge fan of this book, and I can see why. It is, all in all, one cannot deny it, a fascinating book. It covers the wildlife story of the Krüger family - written so cosily by the mother, Kobie. Their adventures amongst the lions, elephants and crocodiles provide for some good reading hours.

... if, I might add, biographies about Wilderness Families happen to be your thing. :-P

I liked it. What I liked:
1. Kobie was a fascin
Kimberly Fleming
Apr 24, 2009 Kimberly Fleming rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, nonfiction
The personal story of the wife of a park ranger in Kruger National Park in South Africa. This is actually two books that were combined and edited down into one for the American audience. Its virtually impossible to find the two original books; Mahlangeni & All Things Wild and Wonderful. If you can find them, read those instead- I feel they edited out too much in this book and added unnecessary information. Why do companies feel the need to dumb down books for the American audience? I hate th ...more
Kathleen McRae
this was a simply written book by a lady who lived the events and recorded them as she felt about them at the time..Kobie Kruger and her husband Kobus were assigned to Mahlangeni ranger station in 1980 when Kobus became a park ranger in South Africa's Kruger National Park.The book is written almost as a diary recording of their days and it is interesting that even as recently as the 1980's the stereotyping of the female as being less capable.This book is about spirit and ingenuity and relying on ...more
Julie
Sep 06, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The lady I roomed with when I was on safari in Kenya brought along a copy of this to loan to me. I was a little put out having one more thing to pack in my already-too-heavy duffle while on safari, but when I got home and finally gave this book a shot...I then understood why she wanted me to read it.

I am infinitely fascinated with all things African. This book is about a park ranger in Kruger National Game Park in eastern South Africa. It's told from the perspective of his wife. The things a par
Hanna
Apr 07, 2016 Hanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love this book with all my heart. <3
Sue
Sep 05, 2016 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kobie and her husband Kobus spent seventeen years as game rangers in Kruger National Park. This recounts a number of their experiences during most of those years. Initially, they were at the remote Mahlangeni Post for eleven years. The transition to the more populated southern post at Crocodile Bridge had its challenges. Later they were posted at Pretorious Kop. Their three daughters grew up in the park living alongside the wildlife and learning how to interact. The second half of the book focu ...more
Joyce
My brother has been in Africa a couple of times and I love hearing and reading stories about Africa. It's such a mysterious and beautiful continent and I was really excited about reading this book. While reading the book, I actually felt like being in the wilderness myself. I wished I had their life, being surrounded by the beauty of all the wildlife every single day. Especially when they adopted Leo the lion. How great is it to raise a lion cub and prepare him for the life outside. After readin ...more
Jennifer Nelson
This was the last book I completed in 2012 and what a delight it was! Kobie Kruger brilliantly and warmly narrates her adventures living in the African bush with her game warden husband and three daughters. The writing and pacing is flawless and it is full of amazing stories (I especially loved all of the animal encounters tales). The stories she shares will alternately make you laugh, cry, hang on to the pages for dear life, and make you want to just give Kobie a big hug. I really, really liked ...more
Loz
Jan 07, 2015 Loz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
what a beautiful and captivating book. kobie kruger shares many stories here that will make you laugh out loud, cry a little and even have you hanging on to the edge of your seat a few times! this is a fantasic memoir that will entertain any animal lover or simply those enarmored with africa's wildlife. highly recommended!
Amy
Excellent memoir of a South African game warden family. You'll laugh and cry and long for an African experience like Kruger's. Five stars not because it's great literature but because I honestly loved sitting down to read this book!
Sudheera
Feb 10, 2012 Sudheera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read so far - transports one directly onto the doorstep of the African bush. Reading this book is almost like living in Africa for a while.
Valerie
Jul 20, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ian
Recommended to Valerie by: Free Copy
Shelves: for-the-boys, africa
Sometimes it is better not to worry about the generator. Also don't get bitten by lions.
Linda
Nov 05, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. If you ever wanted to know what it is like to live in total isolation surrounded by intense, unforgiving nature read Kobie’s story. Her husband is a ranger in the vast Kruger Park in South Africa and spends days and weeks away from home tending to the needs of the animals in the preserve. While, Mrs. Kruger fords a river filled with hostile hippos to take her children to school where they remain for the week. Then she goes back to tending her garden with classical music fillin ...more
Jessica
Jun 03, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book for so many reasons, but most of all because I get to visit there! I am so excited! I'll be at the "tourist camps", not like Kobie and her family. But it will be a way to safely see the animals and be in the park.

The last few chapters were sad (steady stream of tears)and I feel like she went through mourning for Leo. He was still alive, but out of her life. It was an experience of a life time for her and the family. I looked at her daughter's painting on line when I did a search
Bobbie
May 14, 2016 Bobbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down. I finished it in one day, compelled to stay up until the wee hours to finish it. Her writing is simple, which almost hides the fact that the stories are completely amazing. I loved the first half, and loved the second half equally.

I so appreciated her sharing what the psyche and soul of a lion feel like. Here I felt her writing did an amazing job of conveying to me what it really feels like to have a lion in the family. I'd never thought about the inborn regalness that com
Jack Homer
Nov 21, 2014 Jack Homer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love this book. I found this book so entertaining with the stories of life in Africa. It is one of my favorites.

The book is about the stories of a Game Rangers wife and all of her adventures in Africa. The main plot of the story is about a baby lion cub who is found abandoned in the bush. Although Kobie (the game Rangers wife) had taken in many animals, the lion cub was most special. Like I said the majority of the story was about the baby lion and it growing up.

This book is packed with
g-na
Written by the wife of a game warden, The Wilderness Family is a collection of stories about living in the African wilderness. Krüger talks about her experiences, those of her husband and children, the wildlife around them, and the interactions between them all. They are mostly "happy" stories in that there are few sad endings, unlike most tales from the bush. I found the book entertaining but what bothered me was the degree of anthropomorphism the author conferred upon the animals around her; f ...more
Femke Swanton
Jul 20, 2016 Femke Swanton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Femke by: Imke Virgo
This was such a fun book! It's a fascinating and unique story of a ranger and his family in South-Africa (Kruger-Park), who care deeply about the nature around them and devote their life to care for it and preserve it. The familie's life has been chronicled in this fast-paced book and will make you feel so many emotions. By the end of it I was ready to pack my bags and move to the African planes.
Grace Carson
Aug 22, 2014 Grace Carson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about A Family who live in Africa who are Game Rangers, who protect the Bush. They come across a baby cub and have the difficulty but joy of raising a lion cub into an adult. Leo was
the lion, he was a handful, but they all loved him unconditionably.
I loved the book , I would recommend it to all animal lover people, but there is sadness in some parts. It's hard to let go of some of the characters, but It was a wonderful book.
Meli
Feb 19, 2012 Meli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of Kobie Kruger but now that I have read this book I will definitely read some of her others. She writes with real wit and sentiment. Tis is a very entertaining and heart warming book about her life as a game wardens wife in Kruger National Park and about the animals she shares her home with. Leo, the lion, is the star of the book and I dare anyone not to cry when they have to give him up. If anyone thought lions were wild savage creatures they need to read this.
Marie Knock
Feb 09, 2013 Marie Knock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite books of all time. I have read it several times.

It evokes the spirit,passion and unpredictability of south africa.

It's written by a game ranger's wife and charters her life as she adopts various wild animals, learns to live in her husband's shadow and gets used to bringing up her children in life's most amazing environment. She's a heroine like no other. I defy you to read this book and not want to emigrate to Africa.
Jessie (saxgrl1)
Jul 31, 2009 Jessie (saxgrl1) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature, africa
I read this book before a trip to Africa. It was interesting to read about life in an African National Park and the encounters of the wildlife within. Working in a wildlife rehab setting, I was a little unnerved with raising a Lion, but that was a different time and place with very few resources available. Definately worth a read for anyone interested in wildlife or living in Africa.
Bodil
Jan 21, 2014 Bodil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book about the love for nature and animals. Makes you want to go to Africa so badly. I love reading about different ways of living and foreign places. This book certainly fulfilled these requirements.
Larisa Anderson
Dec 09, 2013 Larisa Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An all time favourite. My copy is falling appart i have re read it so many times after it was recomended by a friend. The book shop actually asked about it when i bought it as they had had another 4 people ask about it that week and had to order extra copies.
Mary Deepthy
Apr 25, 2013 Mary Deepthy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book.

I read this first in Reader's digest, where a part of the book is oublished in the BOOK section. I fell in love with it, purchased it from US via a friend.such a nice read it was.
Elaine
Nov 25, 2008 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading about Africa and this family's life living in Kruger National Park was enviable to me. I loved reading about their experiences living in the game park for 17 years and hope someday my life came be as full of outdoor adeventure.
Delightful and loved especially by my animal loving daughter. The book is quite long and ended up taking us a couple of months to read as a read aloud.
Marcy
Jan 03, 2015 Marcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa
Oh how I just love books about Africa. This one was especially fun experiencing a mostly solitary life in the bush, raising children in a national park and hand rearing orphaned wild animals.
  • Soul of a Lion: One Woman's Quest to Rescue Africa's Wildlife Refugees
  • The Eye of the Elephant: An Epic Adventure in the African Wilderness
  • Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo
  • Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers
  • Tales of an African Vet
  • Elephant Memories: Thirteen Years in the Life of an Elephant Family
  • Jungle Jack: My Wild Life
  • Don't Look Behind You! A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos
  • Ghosts of Tsavo: Stalking the Mystery Lions of East Africa
  • Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Africa
  • Wolves at Our Door: The Extraordinary Story of the Couple Who Lived with Wolves
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • Zamba: The True Story of the Greatest Lion That Ever Lived
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Africa in My Blood: An Autobiography in Letters
  • Unlikely Heroes: 37 Inspiring Stories of Courage and Heart from the Animal Kingdom
  • Tales from a Dog Catcher