Start by marking “The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife” as Want to Read:
The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife

The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  395 ratings  ·  36 reviews
When Kobie Krüger, her game-ranger husband and their three young daughters moved to one of the most isolated corners of the world - a remote ranger station in the Mahlangeni region of South Africa's vast Kruger National Park - she might have worried that she would become engulfed with loneliness and boredom.

But running a household and raising a family in a place where leop
Published January 1st 2001 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wilderness Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wilderness Family

Kimberly Fleming
The personal story of the wife of a park ranger in Kruger National Park in South Africa. This is actually two books that were combined and edited down into one for the American audience. Its virtually impossible to find the two original books; Mahlangeni & All Things Wild and Wonderful. If you can find them, read those instead- I feel they edited out too much in this book and added unnecessary information. Why do companies feel the need to dumb down books for the American audience? I hate th ...more
Julie
The lady I roomed with when I was on safari in Kenya brought along a copy of this to loan to me. I was a little put out having one more thing to pack in my already-too-heavy duffle while on safari, but when I got home and finally gave this book a shot...I then understood why she wanted me to read it.

I am infinitely fascinated with all things African. This book is about a park ranger in Kruger National Game Park in eastern South Africa. It's told from the perspective of his wife. The things a par
Kathleen McRae
this was a simply written book by a lady who lived the events and recorded them as she felt about them at the time..Kobie Kruger and her husband Kobus were assigned to Mahlangeni ranger station in 1980 when Kobus became a park ranger in South Africa's Kruger National Park.The book is written almost as a diary recording of their days and it is interesting that even as recently as the 1980's the stereotyping of the female as being less capable.This book is about spirit and ingenuity and relying on ...more
Jack Homer
I really love this book. I found this book so entertaining with the stories of life in Africa. It is one of my favorites.

The book is about the stories of a Game Rangers wife and all of her adventures in Africa. The main plot of the story is about a baby lion cub who is found abandoned in the bush. Although Kobie (the game Rangers wife) had taken in many animals, the lion cub was most special. Like I said the majority of the story was about the baby lion and it growing up.

This book is packed with
Amy
Excellent memoir of a South African game warden family. You'll laugh and cry and long for an African experience like Kruger's. Five stars not because it's great literature but because I honestly loved sitting down to read this book!
Sudheera
One of the best books I've read so far - transports one directly onto the doorstep of the African bush. Reading this book is almost like living in Africa for a while.
Valerie
Jul 20, 2008 Valerie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ian
Recommended to Valerie by: Free Copy
Shelves: africa, for-the-boys
Sometimes it is better not to worry about the generator. Also don't get bitten by lions.
Linda
I loved this book. If you ever wanted to know what it is like to live in total isolation surrounded by intense, unforgiving nature read Kobie’s story. Her husband is a ranger in the vast Kruger Park in South Africa and spends days and weeks away from home tending to the needs of the animals in the preserve. While, Mrs. Kruger fords a river filled with hostile hippos to take her children to school where they remain for the week. Then she goes back to tending her garden with classical music fillin ...more
Grace Carson
This book is about A Family who live in Africa who are Game Rangers, who protect the Bush. They come across a baby cub and have the difficulty but joy of raising a lion cub into an adult. Leo was
the lion, he was a handful, but they all loved him unconditionably.
I loved the book , I would recommend it to all animal lover people, but there is sadness in some parts. It's hard to let go of some of the characters, but It was a wonderful book.
g-na
Written by the wife of a game warden, The Wilderness Family is a collection of stories about living in the African wilderness. Krüger talks about her experiences, those of her husband and children, the wildlife around them, and the interactions between them all. They are mostly "happy" stories in that there are few sad endings, unlike most tales from the bush. I found the book entertaining but what bothered me was the degree of anthropomorphism the author conferred upon the animals around her; f ...more
Joyce
My brother has been in Africa a couple of times and I love hearing and reading stories about Africa. It's such a mysterious and beautiful continent and I was really excited about reading this book. While reading the book, I actually felt like being in the wilderness myself. I wished I had their life, being surrounded by the beauty of all the wildlife every single day. Especially when they adopted Leo the lion. How great is it to raise a lion cub and prepare him for the life outside. After readin ...more
Jennifer Nelson
This was the last book I completed in 2012 and what a delight it was! Kobie Kruger brilliantly and warmly narrates her adventures living in the African bush with her game warden husband and three daughters. The writing and pacing is flawless and it is full of amazing stories (I especially loved all of the animal encounters tales). The stories she shares will alternately make you laugh, cry, hang on to the pages for dear life, and make you want to just give Kobie a big hug. I really, really liked ...more
Meli
I had never heard of Kobie Kruger but now that I have read this book I will definitely read some of her others. She writes with real wit and sentiment. Tis is a very entertaining and heart warming book about her life as a game wardens wife in Kruger National Park and about the animals she shares her home with. Leo, the lion, is the star of the book and I dare anyone not to cry when they have to give him up. If anyone thought lions were wild savage creatures they need to read this.
Marie Knock
This is one of my favourite books of all time. I have read it several times.

It evokes the spirit,passion and unpredictability of south africa.

It's written by a game ranger's wife and charters her life as she adopts various wild animals, learns to live in her husband's shadow and gets used to bringing up her children in life's most amazing environment. She's a heroine like no other. I defy you to read this book and not want to emigrate to Africa.
Ann
Anecdotes about the life of a shy game ranger's wife in Kruger. Very engaging with a great writing style.
Jessie (saxgrl1)
I read this book before a trip to Africa. It was interesting to read about life in an African National Park and the encounters of the wildlife within. Working in a wildlife rehab setting, I was a little unnerved with raising a Lion, but that was a different time and place with very few resources available. Definately worth a read for anyone interested in wildlife or living in Africa.
Loz
what a beautiful and captivating book. kobie kruger shares many stories here that will make you laugh out loud, cry a little and even have you hanging on to the edge of your seat a few times! this is a fantasic memoir that will entertain any animal lover or simply those enarmored with africa's wildlife. highly recommended!
Larisa Anderson
An all time favourite. My copy is falling appart i have re read it so many times after it was recomended by a friend. The book shop actually asked about it when i bought it as they had had another 4 people ask about it that week and had to order extra copies.
Elaine
I love reading about Africa and this family's life living in Kruger National Park was enviable to me. I loved reading about their experiences living in the game park for 17 years and hope someday my life came be as full of outdoor adeventure.
Bodil
Wonderful book about the love for nature and animals. Makes you want to go to Africa so badly. I love reading about different ways of living and foreign places. This book certainly fulfilled these requirements.
Mary Deepthy
I love this book.

I read this first in Reader's digest, where a part of the book is oublished in the BOOK section. I fell in love with it, purchased it from US via a friend.such a nice read it was.
Marcy
Oh how I just love books about Africa. This one was especially fun experiencing a mostly solitary life in the bush, raising children in a national park and hand rearing orphaned wild animals.
Oct 26, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.....great family read-aloud
Recommended to Jennifer by: Carrie
One of the all-time greats for family read-alouds. Fun, funny, real, fascinating, educational, and lovely! The words felt good to read and we all want to emulate these amazing people!
Afton
Completely transforming book. I have always wanted to go to Africa, but now I have to go. The stories were always entertaining and special. A really good book.
Femke
It's a nice book to read, and there are beautiful pictures in it. Nice if you want to know a bit more about wildlife and living with wild animals.
Hannah
totally took me back to Africa. Such an adventure filled life...she describes it so well with such compasion.
Simone
This is actually the best book I have ever read in my whole life. Heart breaking that it is out of print!
Kate
I really enjoyed this, a great memoir of the African wilds. Lots of enjoyable anecdotes and animal antics.
Merlin
I loved the stories of her life with fun & dangers of living out in the Africa as well as the
Kathlyn
Heartwarming story of a young ranger's wife and her family growing up in the Kruger National Park.
  • Soul of a Lion: One Woman's Quest to Rescue Africa's Wildlife Refugees
  • Cry of the Kalahari
  • Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo
  • Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers
  • Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos
  • Ghosts of Tsavo: Stalking the Mystery Lions of East Africa
  • Elephant Memories: Thirteen Years in the Life of an Elephant Family
  • Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Africa
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • Tales of an African Vet
  • Zamba: The True Story of the Greatest Lion That Ever Lived
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Bonobo Handshake: A Memoir of Love and Adventure in the Congo
  • Wolves at Our Door: The Extraordinary Story of the Couple Who Lived with Wolves
  • Tales from a Dog Catcher
  • Africa in My Blood: An Autobiography in Letters
  • The Parrot Who Owns Me: The Story of a Relationship
  • Journey of the Pink Dolphins: An Amazon Quest
Mahlangeni All Things Wild And Wonderful Ich Trage Afrika Im Herzen. Unser Leben Im Krüger  Nationalpark