Start by marking “Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)” as Want to Read:
Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)

Vengeance in Death (In Death #6)

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  26,545 Ratings  ·  782 Reviews
He is a madman with the mind of a genius and an expert with technology who stalks his prey, then taunts the police. Eve Dallas found the first dead man in his own home and the second in a vacant apartment. They both had links with a secret.
Published 2004 by Piatkus (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Vengeance in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vengeance in Death

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichDeath on the Nile by Agatha Christie
Best Detective/Mystery Series
50th out of 1,477 books — 1,742 voters
Naked in Death by J.D. RobbGlory in Death by J.D. RobbVengeance in Death by J.D. RobbRapture in Death by J.D. RobbImmortal in Death by J.D. Robb
Best of J.D. Robb
3rd out of 31 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Duchess Nicole
Vengeance feels good...especially when Roarke the Irish is involved... “I want you to take note, Commander, that turning in my badge would be like cutting off my arm. But if it comes down to a choice between the job and my marriage, then I lose the arm.”

Gotta say, that line surprised me.This would be the first time that I've felt as if Eve and Roarke were on equal footing with regards to their affection for each other. That's not to say that I ever doubted Eve's love for Roarke. Just her ability
Jun 03, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
It is quite a few years since I first read this book and I had forgotten just how good it is! Eve and Roarke are still at the very early stages of their relationship and they have a lot of issues to start working out. There are many emotional scenes along the way, but there are also a lot of fun ones. Roarke has the ability to see the humour in Eve's unusual ways and they both have a talent for making funny comments.
Summerset has a major role to play in Vengeance and sometimes it is hard to be s
Jul 10, 2016 Jilly rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Six books in and I'm still not quite sure why my book-boyfriend, Roarke, likes Eve. This woman is so completely rude and horrible to him 99% of the time, that I feel like maybe he's a masochist.

Brian's face broke out in a wide grin as he slapped Roarke on the back. "That's a woman, isn't it?"

"Delicate as a rose, my Eve. Fragile and quiet natured." He grinned himself when he heard her curse, loud and vicious. "A voice like a flute."

I guess it's all about perspective..

And, well, if he likes cur
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
The best one yet!!! Such an awesome book.<3
Oct 14, 2016 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Roarke and Eve. They just get better and better in every book.

He is an expert with the latest technology...a madman with the mind of a genius and the heart of a killer. He quietly stalks his prey. Then he haunts the police with cryptic riddles about the crimes he is about to commit--always solved moments too late to save his victims' lives.

Jan 03, 2016 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery, futuristic

Eve Dallas has her hands full when a tech savvy religious madman starts killing people in a slow torturous manner. When it becomes clear that the victims have a link to Roarke and Summerset's past she knows she must hunt down the killer before he can kill again.

This series is developing really well. Eve and Roarke have been married for a few months now and their relationship is still evolving. Eve still finds it hard to accept that this sexy, handsome man can love her and Roarke is frustrated th
Another awesome InDeath re-read! One of my favorite exchanges happens in this book. It is the one where Brian from Ireland finds out that Roarke married a bloody cop...Eve replies that she married a criminal and no one ever thinks about that! Then there is the whole "icicles forming in Hell" comment from Brian...Priceless!!! Loved seeing how Eve and Roarke worked through some of their most perilous philosophical ground to become an even more complete unit. Their total acceptance of each other, d ...more
Vengeance in Death
4 Stars

Eve Dallas’s loyalties are one again put to the test when her husband’s oldest friend and closest confidant, Summerset, is framed for a series of murders targeting acquaintances from his shared past with Roarke. As the evidence against him accumulates, Eve must put aside her animosity for the man in order to capture a brilliant yet deranged killer guided by a warped sense of vengeance.

Roarke’s criminal past is front and centre in this installment and readers are treated
So I've only read six so far and there may be another In Death book that I'll enjoy better than this one but so far...this book was everything I look for in a romantic suspense.

The dialog is snappy and the story zips through like one of those futuristic cars. There's never too much of Roarke, is there, so delving into his past can't but make this installment a winner.

Summerset is especially unlikeable here and I hope there's a change in his attitude towards Eve after this. While I find the snoot
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
This is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've read this one. It is definitely in the top 10 of the In Death series and probably one of the meatiest of the stories. We get a lot of Roarke's past exposed and show more of his vulnerability. I like those much more. A lot of scenes with him just show him as a sort of elite superman, I like it better when I see inside him.

Hadn't read this one in some time - definitely the first t
Tilly Slaton
A religious nutjob sociopathic serial killer targets Even and Roarke (Shocker!). Extremely bloody mutilated bodies are found and Summerset is tied to more than one murder.

Hating the snobbish, uptight asswad, Eve still finds herself using every resource to prove that he should not be her prime suspect. If only the dude would follow her advice and stay close to home.

Avenging the rape, mutilation, beating and death of Summerset daughter, Roarke is forced to make a list of those who provided him inf
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
View on Under the Covers

Vengeance in Death
(In Death # 6)
by J.D. Robb
Romantic Suspense

VENGEANCE IN DEATH is ice, frigid. Or as the eccentric Mavis would say, mag. I think this book just topped my previous favourite, RAPTURE IN DEATH. There were so many good things about this book that I’m not sure where to start. First off, the case that Lieutenant Dallas has been dealt is a gruesome one. It hits a little closer to home because of the violation that these victims have endured and it all seems to
Lisa Kay
J.D. Robb (AKA Nora Roberts) should get some kind of award for creating a married couple whose relationship remains H.O.T. Yup. Roarke and Eve still have it. Loved the suspense in this futuristic police procedural, too. I’ve said it before, but Susan Ericksen was born to narrate this series; she outdoes herself again and just keeps getting better.

In Vengeance in Death, the sixth in the In Death series, we get to see into Roarke’s past. And the Irish billionaire has one, filled with painful me
Beanbag Love
Mar 26, 2010 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it
Decent read as all In Death installments have been so far. As a Christian, I do get a little weary of the crazy, homicidal Christian gimmick (that's not a spoiler, BTW), but this had a lot of suspense and I actually was kind of surprised by the outcome of the case.

Eve got on my nerves this time. You'd think she's the only one under stress. Barking every other word and running roughshod over everyone. The fights she had with Roarke were pretty believable, but she just wore me down. I would have l
This is one of my favorite books in the series. I loved getting to delve into Roarke's past and I won't deny that I loved seeing Summerset on the hot seat. That man is not a favorite of mine.

This entry had an emotional intensity to it that I enjoyed. The cases tie closely in with the lives of Eve, Roarke, and Summerset, although Eve doesn't know it at first. I liked that the author brought up a past storyline and deepened it for the reader. There was a gore and grit to the storyline that isn't a
Feb 04, 2016 Anita rated it really liked it
I am reading my way through the In Death series at about a book each month. This one gives us an insight into Roarke and his history with Summerset. These two have a deep abiding love for each other and Eve has to come to respect that. She also has to figure out who is targeting them over murders that took place almost 20 years ago in Ireland.

This is where Eve comes to terms that Roarke has a past that she may not be able to accept. She loves him, but he is a very complicated person and she wil
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Love, love, loved this series. It really tested both Eve and Roarke. Memories of the past coming to haunt them both but also nearly flossing your loved ones too. Really glad I'm re-reading this series.
Ah çok iyiydi. Cinayetleri çok güzel bağlamış, Roarke ve Summerset'in geçmişlerine iyice iniyoruz. Hatta İrlanda'ya gidip Roarke'un anılarını dinliyoruz. Eve yine birkaç kere ölümden dönüyor ve en sonunda gelip onu kurtaran ve katili öldüren Roarke oluyor. Bu adamın Eve aşkına özeniyorum cidden, Eve de ona deli gibi aşık. Bu çifti daha bir sürü macera bekliyor ama aralarındaki aşkla her şeyi halledeceklerdir. Yaklaşık bir 30 kitap daha var okunacak :P
May 02, 2013 Elvan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, audiobooks
I love the firsts in this one. The first introduction we readers have to McNabb and his stylin' ways, the first visit to the Penny Pig and Roarke's old mate Brian Kelly and the first great "take down goes south" thanks to a poodle. I love that scene. A nice little mystery and a killer ending (ha ha) makes Vengeance a must reread in the Series.
Dec 27, 2015 Diane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
Love this book, we get a good glimpse of Roarke and Summerset's life from back in the day! We meet Ian McNab - gotta love that e-man!

I'm not trying to be picky or find fault, but towards the end when Eve and Roarke make it to the naked mermaid bar and they see Summerset on the ladder at the tank, Summerset tells Eve that he was climbing up and into the tank to help Patrick Murray and Eve says that's not what it looked like (or something to that effect). Anyways if Summerset had been in the tank
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Love this series, but, c'mon, EVERY SINGLE BOOK has the subplot of "is Rourke somehow involved with the crime????" That horse is dead. dead. dead. dead. let's move on. otherwise, this is a perfectly lovely series :)
❆ Crystal ❆
Aug 22, 2015 ❆ Crystal ❆ rated it really liked it
4 stars. It's a great series that I'm enjoying very much.
It seems like Roberts got back into the groove again with her sixth In Death novel and it’s all thanks to the mystery. Well, not the mystery per say. The book works because of the killer. Instead of writing (poorly) about Wicca and Satanism, Roberts writes about a safe Catholic mad man who just “happens” to have ties to Roarke’s past.

The further I read this series, the less I respect Eve Dallas as a policeman and the more I see this story as just another offering at the great altar of Roarke. E
This is the only ongoing series I read that features the same couple in every installment: NYC Homicide Lt. Eve Dallas and the sexy, complex, brilliant and dangerous Irish tycoon known only as Rourke. But these 2 characters are SO worthy of this distinction!! :)

Eve and Rourke both come from ugly, abusive childhoods. Sexual/physical/emotional abuse…it’s more accurate to say they didn’t really have childhoods! But Eve and Rourke managed to find peace with one another and their story is compelling
Dec 28, 2007 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
This is the 6th book in the In Death Series.

It is Late Autumn/Early winter in the year 2058. Eve Dallas is summoned with a riddle. Easily solved, she hurries to a grisly crime scene. A man has been eviscerated in his own home and left for Eve to find. It turns out the man was an old acquaintance of Roarke's during the days when he lived in Dublin.

The killer, taunting Eve with riddles sends her another. This time she is mere minutes late as she finds yet another gruesomely killed man left to die
Rachel C.
I think this was the best one yet in this series. I have to admit that I struggled through the last few books, but I didn't find that that was the case with this particular installment. The ending was a tad abrupt, but all of the necessary loose ends were tied up, so I can't complain too much. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this series can possibly be sustained for over 40 books... I'm sure it just gets more and more awesome and I have a feeling I'll enjoy the reading.
Feb 25, 2012 Cata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Tic-Tac, Tic-Tac... O Tempo está a contar

Tudo começou com uma chamada anónima...
Gostas de enigmas? Também o nosso criminoso. A palavra-chave aqui é Vingança .
Ele dá enigmas a Eve que esta tem de resolver. Mas por mais que se esforce, Eve chega sempre atrasada. As vítimas não têm nada em comum... nada excepto serem Irlandeses e fazerem parte do passado de Roarke. Quem será a próxima vítima? Onde será assassinada? Porquê?

Quinze anos é muito tempo para planear uma vingança

E ele fez questão de pla
Aug 15, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite so far. Very exciting case with non stop action. Eve plays beat the clock trying to solve clues to find the next victim before it is too late. . Roarke is front and center with more insight into his background and what makes him tick. Finally some depth to Roarke, and we get real emotion from him, grief, fear, sadness and extreme anger with some intense conflict with Eve the wife and Eve the cop. I enjoyed a pissed off Roarke. Eve giving it right back, so great. 5 stars.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Jun 07, 2011 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-death-series
I really liked the plot, even if it was a bit easy to figure the development. In this book I got annoyed with Eve. She seemed very narrow minded, more than usual. I think I'm getting a bit tired of all her stubbornness, it's like everything always revolves around her. In her fights with Roarke, especially the first, I think she crossed the line repeatedly. That man is a saint.

I loved the Irish part of the story and especially it was great to learn about Roarke's past and see the humanity of him.
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Vengeance In Death (Nov. 2013) SPOILER ZONE 194 99 Jan 16, 2016 12:35PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #32 - Vengeance in Death 1 1 Apr 28, 2014 06:09AM
solve-it-yourself whodunits? 1 27 Jan 16, 2013 06:39PM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“A cop? You married a bloody cop?"

"I married a bloody criminal," Eve muttered, "but nobody ever thinks of that.”
“I want you to take note, Commander, that turning in my badge would be like cutting off my arm. But if it comes down to a choice between the job and my marriage, then I lose the arm.” 68 likes