Start by marking “The Day of the Djinn Warriors (Children of the Lamp, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Day of the Djinn Warriors (Children of the Lamp, #4)

The Day of the Djinn Warriors (Children of the Lamp #4)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,197 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
From the NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author P. B. Kerr, comes the fourth volume in this exceptional, imaginative adventure series about a brother and sister who discover they are djinns.

Djinn twins John and Philippa are off on another whirlwind adventure that takes them around the globe and into unknown worlds. And it's a race against time as they attempt to rescue their mo
Published January 1st 2008 by Orchard Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Day of the Djinn Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day of the Djinn Warriors

Darth J
Jan 21, 2014 Darth J rated it it was ok
Shelves: series, genie
Blah blah blah. Another mildly interesting installment in this once promising series. Other than the convenient deus ex machina devices and back stories, the only thing that seems to connect these books is the sheer amount of really thoughtless comments made by Groanin about other cultures.

I get that he's made to sound ignorant so that the children (and by extension, the audience) can learn and become cultured, but it often makes me cringe with the kind of generalizations that are made by this c
Shane
Mar 31, 2008 Shane rated it liked it
Shelves: goodreads
The story its self was pretty good. A step up from book three, for sure. I can't say it was a bad book, but it had a few tragic flaws.

First among these was the fact that he used a lot of mathematical formulaic type jazz(that's as well as I can describe it). In order to do that, the story had to stop for a few pages while he explained how the math worked...and then how the character figured it out.

Second was the fact that he used a lot of Chinese, which had to be translated.

Third was the fact t
Mateo
Mar 21, 2011 Mateo rated it really liked it
Elements and style: This is the fourth book in this series. This book keeps you guessing and you keep wanting to turn the page through out the book until you finish it. It is set in New York, Babylon and Las Vegas and also in China. The protagonists are John and Phillipa Guant, their parents Mrs. and Mr. Gaunt. Nimrod, their uncle and his butler, Groanin. The antagonists are,Ifrit the head of the worst djinn tribe, his son and the warrior devils.

Plot: First, Mrs. Gaunt (John and Phillipa's mo
Helen
Apr 21, 2015 Helen rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-2015
Like the other reviews said, this wasn't nearly as interesting as the other books from the series that kept me hooked throughout the entire story. I would have dropped it, had I not been stuck in an environment where I wasn't allowed to do anything but read, sleep, or die of boredom, for 6 hours.

The main reason I'm giving this a low rating though, is because the Chinese was completely messed up. I know there are several ways to romanize Chinese--like "Gong Hay Fat Choy" instead of "Gong Xi Fa Ca
Sophie
AWESOME!! Definitely my favourite Children of the Lamp (COTL) book so far. There seemed to be a few storylines grabbing for your attention but they all linked in the end somehow. I was never bored reading this awesome book.

Things I did not like.
Sometimes P.B.Kerr seems to forget that he's writing for children and insults you by saying that anyone would know some random fact that I don't think most adults would know! On the other hand sometimes he thinks he can get away with writing random things
Daisy
To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with this one. I'm starting to agree with some of the other reviews I've read: I really don't know how this series is going to drag on for another three books. The storyline didn't grip me because they seemed just to be solving some kind of vague old mystery for no reason. One of the characters did say something like: "Why are we trying to solve this mystery anyway? I just want to go home and see mom. . ." then Nimrod replied: "Because, John, old mysteri ...more
Brockden Roelofs
Dec 09, 2014 Brockden Roelofs rated it it was amazing
The fourth book of the Children of the Lamp series: The Day of the Djinn Warriors, is awesome, and a little sad. the djinn twins, John and Philippa Guant learn about an army of warrior devils being controlled by, well read the book to find out! The sad part is that a friend of the two djinn twins gets absorbed, but you have to read the book to find out who! This book is a "Must-Read"!
Rae
Mar 20, 2013 Rae rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
1st Reactions: This book is different from Tamora Pierce which I just finished reading. In fact in the past few months, I've read 22 books by Tamora Pierce and P. B. Kerr has a different style then she does.

P. B. Kerr's books (the ones that I've read so far) are targeted to a younger audience I think I'd say. The words are more simple and there isn't as much detail as in Twilight or New Moon, but the books are still entertaining.

There is a sorta slow humor and this book is the forth in a series
James N
Feb 04, 2015 James N rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely good. It centers around two djinn (in other words genie) twins and describes their interesting adventures. The book hints at things that are to come and in the end, these things come to play and make a great story. 5/5
Yvensong
Jun 26, 2009 Yvensong rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cherylllr
Recommended to Yvensong by: Darlene
This was an exciting, and well-written adventure following the Gaunt twins, two Djinn living in current day New York. As in the first three novels, we are taken on a whirlwind tour of the world and are exposed to some great geography lessons and cultural information.

What sets this one apart from the first three is that Kerr seems to have found his stride with his writing. There were times, the first three felt a little awkward, but that has disappeared in this novel. It's as though he stopped st
Suhaib
Sep 12, 2014 Suhaib rated it really liked it
The average American wouldn't understand it. I mean, they would understand the plot and story, but won't grasp the concept. Don't get me wrong; for those of us who do/will understand it, it is AMAZING. The entire series is AMAZING.
Linda
Jul 13, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
I don't know what to say besides I love this YA series! I guess that it's fantasy. In this book, #4 of the Children of the Lamp, djinn twins John and Philippa race to save their mother from becoming the Blue Djinn of Babylon and forever being beyond their lives. On the way other things are happening, though. Who is stealing jade from museums all over the world? Why are ghosts being reported in museums all over the world? It ends up being another break-neck race for the twins and their Uncle Nimr ...more
Jenne
Jan 28, 2009 Jenne rated it liked it
Shelves: teens, reviewed
Not as good as the others, or perhaps i just missed listening to the narrator!

Twins Philippa and John have only recently found out they have djinn power. A discovery that has lead to many adventures with their Uncle Nimrod. In this fourth book, in the bestselling series, the twins are up against new challenges as they race against time to save their mother from become the cold-hearted Blue Djinn of Babylon, stop the aging curse on their father and find out why museums in different countries are
Doris
May 02, 2015 Doris rated it liked it
This book started off with a continuation from a previous book, which although it worked well, required the knowledge of the previous actions to really make much sense. This refers to the Methuslah curse on Mr. Gaunt and the departure of Mrs. Gaunt to be the Blue Djinn.

It also ended with what as an adult I saw as an obvious lead in to book #5(view spoiler).

Was it a good read? It was entertaining, adequate, but
Christine (KizzieReads)
Sep 08, 2015 Christine (KizzieReads) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
I found this installment to be quite the page turner. There were so many things going on and tied in with one another, that you just couldn't help, but want to read more to find out what happens next. It leaves off with a cliffhanger, that makes you want to jump up and grab the next book in the series.
Sam
Jun 10, 2010 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-term-reading
the tale contiues, the plot thickens, and the bad guys are some how Badder. Phillipa and john are pull into another adventure, which started with them trying to get there mother, and ended up with the classic saving the world ending, except with a little twist. Being Djinn makes each adventure somewhat different, and magical. Iblis the leader of the Ifrit, uses terra cotta warriors, children, and one of his own sons, in an attempt to turn the world upside down and its john and phillipa's job to ...more
Rita
espero que isto funcione porque eu quero mesmo muito ganhar a reading challenge
Ishan
Sep 09, 2014 Ishan rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Lots of history and a humorous book with plot twists and a solemn ending.
Shivani
Oct 15, 2014 Shivani rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing series and I cannot wait to continue reading.
Kimberly Ann
Feb 13, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book of the series was really interesting and fraught with suspense & excitement. I liked it because we actually went into history and talked about Marco Polo, Kublai Kahn (I think), the Xian tomb warriors....very interesting magical story.
Kate
Apr 30, 2014 Kate rated it liked it
Another fun installment in the Children of the Lamp series. There aren't a lot of deeper layers and over arching grand moral themes to these books like there are in the Harry Potter series. These are basically just fun fantasy stories for kids.
Kylie Luttrell
Nov 29, 2014 Kylie Luttrell rated it it was amazing
Loved it can wait to read the next one. What happened to Mrs. Gaunt was so sad .
PWRL
Mar 31, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Tyler Hedge
May 29, 2013 Tyler Hedge rated it really liked it
it was REALLY CREEPY but it was probably my favorite of the 4 children of the lamp books that i have
read. And i really like the Dong Xi warriors. they are trying reunite Faustina's spirit with her body so she can be the blue djinn of Babylon instead of Layla, John and Philippa Gaunt's mother. And they have to stop the dong xi warriors from absorbing more spirits. 4th book in the children of the lamp series and my favorite one of the 4 books that i have read:)

- review by Tyler, 8.5 years old
Warren
Dec 30, 2010 Warren rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Kerr needs better research into the Chinese language. Some of the descriptions and usage are wrong or awkward. Claims no such "zombie" word in Mandarin even though it could be found in Chinese mythology.

The Marco Polo history is a little interesting even though there were plot holes. The major inconsistency was that there's no explanation nor reference of the evil djinns found at the Xian site as mentioned in a previous book.

Not one of the best book in the series. (listened to story on CD)

Marut
can't stop reading:-)

Dayna Smith
Feb 09, 2014 Dayna Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, teen-series
The fourth book in the Children of the Lamp series. John & Philippa set out to find Faustina's spirit and return her to her body so she can become the next Blue Djinn and their mother can come home. But nothing is ever easy, Iblis is plotting evil and his plot may destroy their plan. Can they defeat Iblis, save Faustina, themselves, and get their mother back? The ending to this installment is surprising and sets up another book in the series well. Loaded with action and suspense.
Blaine Wilson
This book is the best book PB Kerr has written. The story had some freaky parts to it. It is by far the best book from the series so far.
Anthony
Jul 18, 2016 Anthony rated it really liked it
4/5 Stars
Originally Reviewed:
21 December 2015
This book was originally read and reviewed some time ago and did not receive a proper review. Creating a new review today would not reflect the thoughts I had at the original time of reading, therefore, an updated review for this book does not seem likely in the future. In the case of an updated review, or of a rereading, this review will be updated with the new review.
  • Charlie Bone and the Shadow (The Children of the Red King, #7)
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • The Search for Truth (Erec Rex, #3)
  • Stargazer (The Land of Elyon #4)
  • The Siren Song (Cronus Chronicles, #2)
  • The Wolf Tree (The Clockwork Dark #2)
  • The Skull of Truth (Magic Shop, #4)
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • Hände weg von Mississippi
  • Isle of the Dead (Dragons of Deltora, #3)
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • Jinx On The Divide (The Divide, #3)
  • When the Beast Ravens (A School for Sorcery, #3)
  • Shadows on the Stars (Merlin Saga, #10)
Also writes as Philip Kerr.

Philip Kerr (P.B. Kerr) is a British author of both adult fiction and non-fiction, most notably the Bernie Gunther series, and of children's books, particularly the Children of the Lamp series.

Kerr was educated there and at a grammar school in Northampton. He studied law at the University of Birmingham from 1974–1980, achieving a masters degree. Kerr worked as an adverti
More about P.B. Kerr...

Children of the Lamp (7 books)
  • The Akhenaten Adventure (Children of the Lamp, #1)
  • The Blue Djinn of Babylon (Children of the Lamp, #2)
  • The Cobra King of Kathmandu (Children of the Lamp, #3)
  • The Eye Of The Forest (Children Of The Lamp, #5)
  • The Five Fakirs of Faizabad (Children of the Lamp, #6)
  • The Grave Robbers Of Genghis Khan (Children Of The Lamp, #7)