Start by marking “The Younger Man” as Want to Read:
The Younger Man

The Younger Man

Abby runs her own agency, providing beautiful girls for promotional events. She needs a new website and when she calls in the web contractors, none other than the gorgeous, sexy, young Marcus turns up. Abby had met Marcus at a party a few weeks earlier and they had an amazing one-night stand. Abby is not unhappy to see him again. He is rather divine, after all. It's just ...more
Published February 2012 by Penguin Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Younger Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Younger Man

The Debs by Susan McBrideChoral Society by Prue LeithThe Professors' Wives' Club by Joanne RendellMore Like Her by Liza PalmerSomething Borrowed by Martina Reilly
Legs Turned Inwards, Red Shoes
12th out of 45 books — 7 voters
The Summer of Cotton Candy by Debbie ViguiéSue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy by Shellie Rushing TomlinsonHow Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True by Sarah StrohmeyerSugar Baby by Gesine Bullock-PradoCotton Candy by F.L. Jones
Cotton Candy
8th out of 9 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Librariasaurus
I think I finally know what a contemporary novel is. Zoe Foster has written a pretty decent book with The Younger Man and it is absolutely for your twenty-something to thirty-something crowd. It reads like Sex and the City for Aussie girls.

Her characters are your best friends and sisters and the women you work with, highly relatable and very realistic, I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually based on Foster's own friends.

Marcus is an amazing male lead. Albeit it a bit unicorny, and by that
Catriona
Aug 17, 2012 Catriona rated it liked it
I actually kind of enjoyed this one. I mean, I knew it was a load of complete and utter crap, but it took me away from my own life, and let me fantasize a little.

The writing was basic. It’s easy to read, holds the flimsy plot, and, well, doesn’t make you think too hard. It’s chic lit. If there were any deep philosophical themes underlining this ‘great’ love, then no one would want to read it. Chic lit is supposed to be crap, and easy to read nonsense is just what we want sometimes…am I right?

Li
Anna Bratchford
I'm not usually one to read 'chick lit', but as The Younger Man was work's book of the month I decided a change may be nice. I wasn't wrong here, but I also wasn't entirely right...

The humour in this story was probably my favourite bit about it, very clever, and lighthearted. As a general rule I wasn't enamoured with the characters and their interactions, there was something just that little bit too familiar about them which became a little unnerving. As well as this, there was something sickly
Michelle_Mck
Mar 06, 2012 Michelle_Mck rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww-2012, chick-lit
I picked this book up last night because the book I was reading was doing my head in, my off again fella kept ringing me and I was feeling in need of something that would make me forget about my own heartache for a moment in time and instantly thought of Zoe Foster's new book which I had fortuitously picked up from the library. I knew I secretly wanted to save the book for a rainy weekend but with no Prozac on hand it was to TheYounger Man I clung/groped umm I mean read.

I wasn't disappointed, ha
Teagan
Dec 17, 2015 Teagan rated it liked it
A quick little rom com that is quirky and true to form. The novel highlights that often our realities are way better than the make believes that go on in our land of dream. I enjoyed the contemporary wit that is used throughputs Zoe Foster Blake's writing. A good read for when you want a laugh and don't need to over think it!
Lauren Taylor
May 17, 2012 Lauren Taylor rated it liked it
Although Abby drove me crazy sometimes, by the halfway mark I could not put this book down. Cleverly written, I absolutely loved it!
Diana
Nov 10, 2016 Diana rated it it was amazing
Another fun read by Zoe, enjoyable and relatable.

Maryanne
Oct 24, 2016 Maryanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book sucks and Zoe should be embarrassed
Andrée
Oh God. I can't believe I am adding this to my shelf of "books that I am admitting I have actually read", but, y'know what? I did read it. And as much as I may have rolled my eyes whilst reading it (which was quite a bit, just so you know), I enjoyed it. I'll call it a guilty pleasure. It was light, it was fluffy, it was easy to get lost in. Zoe Foster definitely knows how to write, so give it a go. :) It might put a smile on your face!
Catherine Pollard
Oct 18, 2016 Catherine Pollard rated it really liked it
Im enjoying reading Zoe Foster's books lately.
This one is great, even with a bit of an unsuspected twist at the end.
I'm sure most people can relate to someone they know dating a younger guy.
Imogen Woodington
Oct 22, 2016 Imogen Woodington rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Great start. Good characters. The middle sort of lost me and the ending was disappointing. It never really concluded its self and I felt like it needed 'more' - sort of a skeleton with a bit of meat on then a full fleshed book.
This Charming Mum
Aug 23, 2012 This Charming Mum rated it really liked it
I’m not quite sure when I started thinking of twenty-somethings as ‘the young people of today’, imbuing them with faults ranging from an unwarranted sense of entitlement to a reckless disregard for socially acceptable skirt length, but I have made that leap. And, like the book’s protagonist, Abby, I need to remind myself occasionally that you can’t write off an entire generation based on the behaviour of a few. I am most offended when people make similar assumptions about my thirty-something ...more
––––•(-•The Insomniac Book Hoarder•-
This is the very first book I've finished which was written by a fellow aussie; the lovely and absolutely stunning Mrs Zoe Foster-Blake. Married to one half of the dynamic comic duo Andy Blake, the couple matchmade in Australian media heaven. Status and identity aside, I liked the book. It was entertaining enough initially draws you in with its easy going and realistic conversations (as well as inner monologues). Our protagonist is a sassy 33 year old businesswoman named Abby, who's all woman ...more
Lover of Libraries
Jun 23, 2014 Lover of Libraries rated it did not like it
Okay, I understand you can't go reading this novel and expect to find something the quality of Pride and prejudice here, but seriously, the talents of Zoe Foster are wasted! Her characters in each novel all blend into the same vapid, self-absorbed 30-ish urban socialite, who is seemingly employed within a serious career (running an escort agency anyone?). All her females protagonists are preoccupied with finding 'The One', an inspiration which should not be celebrated! Her seemingly 'perfect' ...more
annelise
Jan 05, 2013 annelise rated it it was ok
I've read one of Zoe's other books and didn't love it, so I'm not sure why I read this one. I think I *want* to like them. While I thought the other book of Foster's lacked some sass, I thought this one tried too hard to be sassy. Bit vulgar with the sex talk (saying that makes me sound like a prude, I know), which made it kind of bogan. Too much label name dropping, too much going to lunch in a helicopter (the whole Italy section was so unrealistic), and too much with the unlikeable female ...more
Bron
Jan 12, 2014 Bron rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings here.
The first sentence annoyed me: "Abby washed her hands and peered at her naked body in the mirror as she dried them on a technicolour Missoni hand towel". I mean, did she dry her naked body or her hands? I had three separate attempts to get past this grammar nightmare and wondered how the rest of the book would go.
And I am glad I did. I had some laugh-out-loud moments and enjoyed this 'bubble gum for the mind' chic-lit. Perfect for a lazy summer holiday if you like this
Jacqui
Mar 15, 2016 Jacqui rated it it was amazing
As far as chick lit goes, I think Zoe Foster wins the crown. This book was so easy to read and kept my attention the whole time. The characters are likable and believable and like I said in my review of her other book, Zoe writes like a regular Aussie girl in her twenties/thirties would speak. It's like reading about your own friends' lives (perhaps more dramatic though.) I would recommend The Younger Man and The Wrong Girl to anyone looking for a very light but fun and scintillating beach (or ...more
Alexandra Hocking
Jan 03, 2016 Alexandra Hocking rated it it was ok
Became a little tedious at the 50-60% mark (had to skip ahead by the second last chapter just to keep reading until the end) and the protagonist, Abby, was a little frustrating and exasperating (and not in a "she has flaws" type of way). She and all the characters spoke about how confident, driven and work focused she was but her actions were anything but. I wanted a good chic-lit book for the summer hols but if you're thinking the same, I would suggest skipping this one in favour of another ...more
Simone
Jun 27, 2014 Simone rated it liked it
I thought the book was good and very easy to read though it lacked the depth that makes a book great.
It needed more love or loss, more adventure, more drama, more suspense, more humour... Just more. More than the superficial... Or maybe I should get back to reading different genres.
It's clear that Zoe Foster has a great sense of humour but it did not translate to laugh-out-loud moments for me.
All in all, while I can appreciate the writing and book as a whole, my heart just wasn't in it.
Jessica Pater
Sep 01, 2016 Jessica Pater rated it really liked it
I finished this book in two days. For some reason I couldn't put it down. Okay, I know the reason why I couldn't put it down ... it's because I fell totally in love with 22 year old Marcus. What an awesome guy. Abby was so relatable on so many levels but I wanted to jump into her head on a few occasions and give her a quick smack around. Obviously Marcus's wit and humour must be credited to Zoe Foster who is a total delight to read.
Julie
Jan 05, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
This is an easy and ejoyable chick lit read. It held my attention throughout, although I was not a huge fan of the whole 'Italy' bit in the book. I understand why it was put into the story, but I think the characters of Abby and Marcus and their relationship could have been explored a bit further, and leave the whole Italian thing out all together. I have read Zoe's other books also, and will continue to read any other fiction she publishes!!
Mel
Aug 13, 2012 Mel rated it did not like it
A young, ambitious, responsible woman dates a younger, lovely guy. Follows the cliched chick lit formula. I love a good chick lit novel, have to unwind and read something a bit mindless sometimes. This novel revealed a shallow and pretentious foundation - didn't like this much, at all! P.S. I'm always surprised by how the protagonist of these novels hold such high positions of employment but are so shallow, indecisive and ...urgh!
Belinda
Mar 16, 2013 Belinda rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this and it's the first time I have read a book by Zoe Foster. I really enjoyed it as it was set in Australia, very easy to read, had excitement and a good love story with a dew twists and turns along the way.
Liked it because you could stop and start it which was I needed, good way to unwind at the end of the day.
Roxanne
Jul 16, 2012 Roxanne rated it really liked it
i realy enjoy reading zoe foster's blog posts & watching her you tube videos, so I thought that I would check out her book - yes it is a bit of light hearted fluff - but very enjoyable - annoying how they called the main character "Abs " (short for Abby) - but then people shorten my name to "rox" and I hate it - will definitely have to check out zoe's other books!
Jo Mcelvenny
Feb 03, 2013 Jo Mcelvenny rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this book but found some bits forced and the characters fake. A bit too "sex and the city" in Australia. Plus it drives me nuts when people say 'Macaroon' but mean 'Macaron'! Get it right, they're two different sweets, the French are cringing at us! Easy read and funny bits though!
Felicity M
Aug 05, 2012 Felicity M rated it it was amazing

Love absolutely everything about Zoe Foster and her books are no exception!!!
Light hearted, funny with great characters and super easy to read, if you are after something fun, you will fly through this in no time!
Kerenza
Sep 05, 2014 Kerenza rated it really liked it
I fear I have devoured Zoë's works too quick! Two to go and then I shall have to wait for a new release! Another easy read sitting in the glorious Melbourne sun! Thank you for a wonderful day zoë. Now where can I find my own Marcus.....
Stephanie
Jan 12, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was ok
If you're looking for boring, stereotypical, too perfect characters, this book is for you! It was reasonably cute and had its funny moments, but it was incredibly predictable and unrealistic. Suitable only for a quick summer read.
Wendy
Apr 25, 2012 Wendy rated it it was ok
oh my if you love romance and don't want to think too much, and you want to guess what is going to happen straight away, oh and you want non stop nicknames then go for this one. Definite holiday book but you only need a morning, take another one with you before you leave.
Elle
Apr 12, 2012 Elle rated it liked it
Enjoyed reading this book for some lighthearted fun but it was trashy and the main character was incredibly frustrating. The characters were extremely superficial and the writing was imperfect with some errors but I still enjoyed sexy Marcus !
older woman and a younger man...can it work? 2 7 Sep 14, 2012 11:15AM
  • Bella's Run
  • Fame
  • It's Up to You, New York
  • French Kissing
  • Reveal (Wild Nights, #2)
  • Celebrity Bride
  • Heart of Gold
  • Rosalee Station
  • A Stranger in My Street
  • L is for Luminous
  • Love Struck
Zoë Foster Blake is an Australian author, columnist, editor, and cosmetics entrepreneur.

She took off her WAG sash in 2009 after almost a decade in the world of football, and far too many pies and beers in the grandstands. She was the Beauty and Lifestyle Editor at Cosmopolitan magazine before becoming Beauty Director at Harper's BAZAAR. Zoë is currently the Editor in Chief of online beauty destina
More about Zoë Foster...