Start by marking “A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl” as Want to Read:
A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl

A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,874 ratings  ·  285 reviews
For five weeks the world waited for news about Danny Pearl, the "Wall StreetJournal" reporter who was kidnapped in Karachi, Pakistan...And then came the

broadcast of his shocking murder. The complete account of his abduction, the

intense effort to rescue him, and the aftermath are told here - in astonishing

detail, and with courage and insight - by his surviving wife Mariane.
Published June 5th 2007 by Scribner Book Company (first published September 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Mighty Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mighty Heart

Cheryl
Daniel Pearl was a 38 year old bureau chief for the Wall Street Journal in the days after 9/11. He had been married to Mariane for four years and was expecting a son who he planned to name Adam. Pearl was a graduate of Stanford, well read, musical, and had a passion for other cultures including his own, Jewish. The expectant couple was spending their last night in Karachi, Pakistan before leaving for a respite in Dubai.

There was just one more meeting...one last interview...an opposing viewpoint
Stef
You already know the ending, but the process of getting there is mind-blowing. Too many confusing names to keep track of, but both Pearl's determinism and strength is almost too much to bear. And no, I haven't seen the movie...
Carrie
This book was definitely difficult to read at times. It was heart-breaking to imagine what Mariane Pearl must have felt as she helped investigate the kidnapping of her husband, Wall Street journalist Daniel Pearl, by Islamic Fundamentalists. Mariane's humanity and strength are quite amazing. As a journalist who has seen Islamic Fundamentalism firsthand, she also does a good job of giving an insider's account of what its threat means to the Western World. This book is definitely sad (be ready to ...more
Clare Herbert
This weekend, I read Mariane Pearl’s wonderful memoir of her husband’s life and untimely death. Daniel Pearl reported for The Wall Street Journal from the Middle East and South Asia, accompanied by his wife and fellow journalist Mariane. After 9/11, they were based in Karachi, Pakistan while Danny followed the labyrinthine trail of al Qaeda. He was abducted and murdered in 2002, while Mariane was pregnant with their first child. ‘A Mighty Heart’ is a love story, a portrait of Pakistan in turmoil ...more
Courtney
I had put this book on my Amazon wish list awhile back, around the same time I saw the movie adaptation starring Angelina Jolie. I knew that the movie stayed as true as possible to the book, so I really wanted to get a more in-depth look at the life of Danny and Mariane Pearl.

The portrait Mariane Pearl paints of her husband, their friends, Pakistan, and those who were a part of the massive effort to find and bring Danny Pearl home is detailed and incredibly perceptive. She made me feel as if I k
Angie
When I was in high school, I felt like I was the only one in the world who cared about a journalist named Daniel Pearl. I was, at least, the only one in my high school who cared about it.

Until I approached the teacher who ran the school newspaper about writing an article on him.

It was my first year on the staff, and I was pretty much the head editor anyways, going in after school to edit and change the layouts of articles.

If I remember correctly, my article on Daniel Pearl was printed on the fro
Graceann
May 20, 2010 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love freedom and peace
Shelves: memoir
On January 23, 2002, Daniel Pearl hopped into a taxi in pursuit of a story, and became one instead. This book is the memoir of his wife, Mariane, as she navigated the days and weeks after his kidnapping and murder, and the birth of their son.

Mariane Pearl's feeling of helplessness, despite being better equipped with knowledge of her surroundings than most would be in the same situation, is palpable. Her skill as a writer shines through in these pages - her increasing loathing for the recorded v
Nicole
This was a great book and a horrible real life account of the kidnapping and murder of journalist Danny Pearl in Pakistan. It is also a reminder of how little I truly know about al qaeda and international terrorism in general. So many groups, religions, organizations, and players that continuously morph is overwhelmingly scary. And the corruption is absolutely absurd. Not a particularly 'pretty' read, nor do I think it is written exceptionally well - but very informative. I havent seen the movie ...more
Shahine Ardeshir
What a wonderful, brave and astonishingly untarnished woman Mariane Pearl is. And therefore, what an incredibly powerful, honest and beautiful book she has written.

This is a woman who has every claim in the world to be bitter, angry and venomous about the people who kidnapped, held and beheaded her journalist husband, and yet, she paints an authentic and just portrayal of them and world politics. This is not some emotional sob story of a wife who lost her husband; this is the voice of an intelli
Zvi Jonathan
A moving and absorbing real life account of the last months of Daniel Pearl and how his wife Marianne dealt with being in Pakistan after Daniel was kidnapped by Islamic terrorists. A window into the mind of the terrorists and jihadis who plague the world , whether it be the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan ruling the areas under their control with terror, Hamas and Islamic Jihad targeting Israel's
civilian population , Islamists killing Buddhists in Burma or killing Christians in Nigeria, Iran
Adrian Jackson
I wanted to enjoy this, but it was awful. In the midst of retelling the kidnapping and death of her husband, she includes details like a fun trip to McDonald's, hot guys and camaraderie. I found that this diminished what was important, and made the book unappealing. It was not well-written (the author is a journalist), but, worse, it also poorly edited.
Jessica Marie
A heartbreaking read that pulls you into the search for Danny Pearl. Even though I knew Danny's fate, I still held my breath (and hope) until the very end.
Melissa Ball
I don't have words. Her story and that of Danny are a true work of strength and courage and intelligence. Read it with a whole heart.
Will Byrnes
A very good telling of her experience of Daniel's travails, and her own.
Boshika Gupta
Words are not enough. Words are just not enough.
Tara van Beurden
This is a really important book, and even though its an intense, upsetting read, its something everyone should read. I’ll be honest, I don’t remember the event itself, but then I was in my teens, and in Australia, and even though it probably made our news, it wasn’t something I paid attention to. The first time I heard about the event was when the movie with Angelina Jolie came out. I’ve never seen the movie, and I didn’t know much about the story before reading the book. This is a very intense ...more
Toni Osborne
Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped by terrorist in Pakistan in 2002. His pregnant wife Mariane tried to manage the search effort. This memoir reveals every emotional heart-wrenching detail during the month of Pearl's kidnapping up to the news of his death. Mariane a journalist herself paces the events as they unfold, complete with the frustration in dealing with the Karachi's bureaucracy and the intricate machinations of the international terrorist community.

She starts by de
Amanda
Somehow Mariane Pearl manages to turn the story of her husband's gruesome death at the hands of Pakistani terrorists into an inspiring story of hope. In "A Mighty Heart," she recounts the days after Danny's disappearance with the keen observational and storytelling skills that make her a great journalist.
She shares the struggles she faces trying to find her husband in a country whose counterterrorism unit can't even afford their own computers and printers; in trying to care for the child growin
Catherine
I think I wanted this book to be different than it is - to be less the first-person story of Mariane's quest and loss, and more the one-step-back analysis of how it could be that a fundamentalist group could see in Daniel Pearl a boon to their cause. I wanted the geo-political background, the application of history - and perhaps I wanted them as much to cushion Daniel's death as because I want to understand more about that region and the tumult therein.

It's heartbreaking to read of Mariane's wor
Katy
I read this book in under a week because I couldn't put it down. We all know the basics; Daniel Pearl was kidnapped in Karachi, Pakistan in early 2002. His wife, Mariane was pregnant at the time. Danny did not make it, his captors beheaded him.

What this book tells his Mariane's story which is heartbreaking and encouraging. She fought desperately to get her husband back in a land where no one knows who to trust, not even local police. She never fell apart and even after she found out her dear, de
Ashelynn
I was in elementary school when the kidnapping and murder of Daniel Pearl happened. I don't remember watching the news about it, and hey, the adult people I lived with could have not allow me to know about it.

I knew what was going to happen at the end of the book; it's obvious, right? The bad guys win, not Danny or Mariane or Captain. The bad guys win. Still I was cheering for the good guys. I wanted Captain to work is magic and save Danny.

This book is emotional. Last year I read The Freedom W
Rusty
The tragic story of Danny Pearl's journalistic life, capture and death is told in riveting detail by his wife, Mariane. Those of us who lived during this period remember the news coverage well. Danny was an idealist who believed in people and followed the news wherever it went. He covered the Middle East and South Asia for The Wall Street Journal. That he was also Jewish I did not know until I read the book.

Coupled with Danny's story is the love he and Marianne shared. She tells how and when th
Melissa
It is an incredible story of survival in the bleakest of circumstances. I can't imagine being in her situation. She is pregnant. She is in Pakistan. And her husband has just been kidnapped by terrorists. This book isn't just a love letter to her husband but in a strange way it is a letter to the world. The book implores the world to get control of itself.

Regular people in the world are being overshadowed by war and fear and politics. And this book is trying to reverse that is some small way.

Sh
ana
Feb 05, 2008 ana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in the worldnews; people mad about a beautiful love story
Departing from the story of a journalist from the Wall Street Journal, Daniel Pearl, abducted and murdered in Pakistan, this book is his wife's heartfelt but not sentimentalist tribute to the journalist, the loving companion and the father-to-be, whose son Adam he never met. A journalist herself, French-born Mariane, recounts those terrible moments she had to undergo, in a strange country, being pregnant, the hopes and frustrations in the search for her husband, and the comfort and help she rece ...more
Shahirah
In 2002, I was a foolish 14-year-old with absolutely no interest in current affairs, so I was only faintly aware of the Daniel Pearl story. As such, I was initially quite put off by how bitter and unforgiving Mariane Pearl came across in the first few chapters of this book. So I decided I should probably read the book with at least a basic understanding of how the whole tragedy played out and upon doing so, I began to read with new perspective.

This is a good book, if anything at least for its c
anne
wow. this is a powerful book. Mariane Pearl has a strong, thorough voice, and I admit to being a less than critical reader when it comes to fact-checking, on account of being incredibly sympathetic for the courage it must have taken to recount the details of these days with such accuracy.

however, I am a hyper-aware human-reader, always noting the way certain "types" of people are characterized in books, particularly works of non-fiction. Mariane established almost immediately that her opinions
Erin
Finished the book. Lovely inclusions of letters written to Mariane about her husband; I was left with an uneasy, resolved, but hopeless feeling. I'm not sure if it's because I have a hard time accepting there can be resolution of grief without God, or if it's just such a nasty set of circumstances that you really can't turn this one into a happy ending.

It was so well written. Heartfelt withough being mushy and without self-centerednes. I really appreciated her gravity without being especially d
Donald
A Mighty Heart is Mariane Pearl's account of the kidnapping and murder of her husband, Wall Street Journal's Daniel Pearl, by terrorists in Pakistan in early 2002. After his disappearance, Mariane assembled a team to help find Daniel, and this memoir shows a race against the clock as the team wades through political red tape and corruption to determine who was responsible for the kidnapping and where Daniel was being held. This was such a high-profile crime, that the reader already knows the out ...more
Stephanie
Nov 07, 2007 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: nonfiction
We all know the basics behind the Danny Pearl story. This book tells you the details of what happened from the woman who lived it.

It is a difficult, frustrating, hard, riveting, necessary story. In a world where East and West mistrust each other, a band of people from India, Pakistan, and the United States come together to try and right one wrong, and as hard as they work, they still fail. It doesn't give me much hope that the world can be peaceful one day. If the government agencies of Pakista
Drew
Apr 27, 2008 Drew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Drew by: Read months after watching the movie (later snubbed during award
When I read, I typically read two books at once, alternating on the books depending on my mood. Typically one of these books are serious and the other is fluff.
I quickly discovered that my most recent read deserved to be read all on its own.

Last year, I saw "A Mighty Heart," starring Angelina Jolie and I was touched by the story.
Last night, I finished the book by the same name, written by Daniel Pearl's widow, Mariane, about her husband's kidnapping, the struggle against time to save him and how
  • Notes from My Travels: Visits with Refugees in Africa, Cambodia, Pakistan and Ecuador
  • My Life as a Traitor: An Iranian Memoir
  • Seeds of Terror: How Heroin Is Bankrolling the Taliban and al Qaeda
  • Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival
  • Ten Thousand Sorrows : The Extraordinary Journey of a Korean War Orphan
  • The Other Side of the Mountain
  • In an Instant: A Family's Journey of Love and Healing
  • Irgendwann werden wir uns alles erzählen
  • Riding the Black Cockatoo
  • Descent into Chaos: The United States & the Failure of Nation Building in Pakistan, Afghanistan & Central Asia
  • The Punishment of Virtue: Inside Afghanistan After the Taliban
  • Even After All This Time: A Story of Love, Revolution, and Leaving Iran
  • The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky
  • Out of Captivity
  • A Rage to Live: A Biography of Richard and Isabel Burton
  • Enemy Combatant: My Imprisonment at Guantanamo, Bagram, And Kandahar
  • Night Draws Near: Iraq's People in the Shadow of America's War
  • Ten Minutes from Normal
She is a French freelance journalist and a reporter and columnist for Glamour magazine. She is the widow of Daniel Pearl, the Wall Street Journal reporter who was kidnapped and murdered by terrorists in Pakistan in early 2002.

Pearl, being of Dutch-Jewish, Afro-Latino-Cuban and Chinese Cuban ancestry and raised in Paris, Van Neyenhoff met Daniel Pearl while he was on assignment in Paris.

They marrie
More about Mariane Pearl...
In Search of Hope: The Global Diaries of Mariane Pearl Traffik At Home in the World: Collected Writings

“What she saw in their eyes terrified her. She was a woman traveling alone, in a country that had not seen exposed female faces in over five years. She turned back and cried tears of frustration all the way to Pakistan.

...Asra..., I find her fantasy delightful. Who else would risk her life to take stuffies to Afghanistan?”
5 likes
“It's like Romeo & Juliet,' I say. 'You can't separate them. Otherwise, there would be no Shakespeare.'
Silence.
I decide to be more straightforward. I tell him, 'Nothing frightens me anymore. I am not even afraid to die.'
Bussey's eyes, already wide open, grow even wider. My death is the last thing he needs.
I have the strange feeling that there are two of me. One observes the conversation while the other does the talking. Everything is abnormal, especially this extreme calm that has taken me over. I try to explain to Bussey that if I decide to die, it will be without bitterness. I know I did everything I possibly could, so it will be respectful farewell. I will bow to life like an actor, who, having delivered his lines, bends deeply to his audience & retires. I tell Bussey that this decision has nothing to do with him, that it is entirely mine. I will choose either to live or to die, but I cannot allow myself to live in the in-between. I do not want to go through life like a ghost.
'Do you think you'll find Danny this way?' Bussey asks.
My mind sifts through all available theories on the afterlife. It is as if this metaphysical question has become as real as the air we breathe. Buddhism teaches that life is an eternal cycle without beginning or end. I recall the metaphor: "Our individual lives are like waves produced from the great ocean that is the universe. The emergence of a wave is life, and its abatement is death. This rhythm repeats eternally."
Finally I answer Bussey, 'No, I don't think so.'
Bussey seems relieved, but I'm more panicky, because I had never thought that I could wind up alone. In my mind, whatever the odds, Danny & I were & would be together forever.”
5 likes