Start by marking “The Temperament God Gave Your Kids: Motivate, Discipline, and Love Your Children” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Do you have a child who is into everything? Your energetic, bubbly child is often the center of attention and sometimes in the middle of trouble! Or perhaps you have a child who is just the opposite: quiet, studious, and slow to warm up in social situations.

Art and Laraine Bennett provide an accessible synthesis of classical wisdom, modern counseling, science, Catholic spi
Published March 15th 2012 by Our Sunday Visitor (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Temperament God Gave Your Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Temperament God Gave Your Kids

Melissa
Apr 10, 2016 Melissa rated it it was ok
I have been interested in the 4 temperaments for several years. I first heard about the temperaments when I was in college and I heard a nun give a wonderful talk about them. After that I was so intrigued that I read as much as I could on the temperaments. I find them fascinating. I think they are a huge help when wanting to better understand yourself and the people in your life... whether those people be your spouse, children, co-workers, employees, etc...

I bought this book after having my four
Shaunda Penny
Jul 26, 2014 Shaunda Penny rated it it was amazing
After resisting reading something like this for a long time, I ordered this book after a friend suggested learning about temperaments might help me with one of my particularly difficult children. I am so thankful I did! The book really helped me better understand all of my children, their strengths and weaknesses and how I can help them to become the person God is calling them to be by working WITH their temperament not against it. I would highly recommend this book to all parents who sometimes ...more
Janet
Nov 09, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
Recommended to Janet by: Ashley
One of my overriding questions is who came up with those category names? The book looks at the 4 different temperament types and how the parents' temperaments and the child's temperaments interact.

CHOLERIC
Cholerics people are leaders and directors. They seek to be in control of situations, to be on top, to be the best. They word things with confidence and certainty. They would say "X is this way" versus a phlegmatic who might say "maybe X is this way, or something?" If met by opposition, they r
Britt, Book Habitue
Jun 01, 2015 Britt, Book Habitue rated it it was amazing
This is actually a Catholic parenting book that I picked up out of amusement. The sections titled "Your Moody Melancholic Moppet" and "Your Spirited Sanguine Sprout" cracked me up.
I didn't really intend to read it, mostly I just thought the wording was awesome.

Turns out-- I really found it to be a thought-provoking and useful parenting book. It was interesting to look at my children's personalities in terms of the 4 temperament categories they use.

I'm not Catholic, so parts of the book didn't sp
Julie Mahoney berst
May 08, 2016 Julie Mahoney berst rated it really liked it
This is a book I wish I had read 10 years ago. Instead always thinking "something's wrong" with your children, or assuming they're being naughty, much of behavior has to do with the type of temperament your child was blessed with. This book comes with great ideas to deal with balancing temperamental tendencies in both your child and yourself, how to help your child build up virtues, curb had habits, and identifying which temperament your child has. Understanding your children's and your temperam ...more
Rachel
Apr 26, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I want to give this 3.5 stars because it's somewhere between I liked it and really liked it. Many of the tips given for parenting specific temperaments are solid for just about any child, I thought. I had a hard time identifying my temperament with the parent temperaments described. I loved how the author's reference a lot of saints, their temperaments, and how they cultivated certain virtues that didn't necessarily come naturally to their temperament.
Lauren
Jul 29, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. A very good jumping-off point for thinking about temperaments specifically in the context of parenting, however I wanted a bit more from this book. I wanted a little bit more about the younger years (my children are toddlers themselves), and perhaps a little more refinement in the manner of addressing certain other issues.
Karishma
Jan 20, 2016 Karishma rated it liked it
I bought this book after attending a talk by Laraine Bennett at the IHM homeschooling conference. I think that colored my experience of it because there was so much overlap between the talk and the book. It is fascinating material, and definitely useful to identify your own temperament and that of the people around you, in particular your kids.

I was hoping for even more practical advice on how to parent kids of various temperaments, though. More nuts and bolts stuff rather than philosophical/ps
Venu
May 23, 2014 Venu rated it really liked it
Shelves: one
nice one
Fides
Dec 16, 2015 Fides rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting, catholic
If you've read "The Temperament God Gave You," you really don't need to buy this one or the one for your spouse. The authors just seem to be out to make more cash - so many sentences and stories were simply copied and pasted from their original title that it becomes annoyingly repetitive and you wonder why they couldn't have more original material for their follow-up books.
Lauren
Oct 26, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book for understanding my choleric son and sanguine daughter. And since I am a melancholic I liked seeing how my personality could affect my parenting style. Since I already knew the temperaments the beginning was a little repetitive but it got really good once I got to how the temperaments of parent and child interact.
Barb
Jun 26, 2012 Barb rated it it was amazing

This book, the third in the Bennett's fascinating series on temperament, gives parents useful tools and strategies to help their children build on their own strengths and grow in virtue. Highly recommended (read them all!)
Amanda
Jul 29, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Good overall book even if not overly religious...just focus on the psycology. Could easily relate the real life examples to myself, childhood and current parenting situations. Very useful, now to get my husband to buy into it:)
Bethany
May 10, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Book, anyone who wants to really work with their children and not be succumbed to the "world's" view of what is "normal" should read this book.
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2016
Sarah Ortiz
Sarah Ortiz marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
June
June rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
K
K added it
Jul 09, 2016
Lauren Curtin
Lauren Curtin rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Anne McDonald
Anne McDonald marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Colleen Rein
Colleen Rein is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Roslyn
Roslyn marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Jackie Miller
Jackie Miller marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Discipline That Lasts a Lifetime: The Best Gift You Can Give Your Kids: Dr. Ray Answers Your Frequently Asked Questions
  • Parenting with Grace: Catholic Parent's Guide to Raising Almost Perfect Kids
  • Interview with an Exorcist: An Insider's Look at the Devil, Demonic Possession, and the Path to Deliverance
  • Style, Sex, & Substance: 10 Catholic Women Consider the Things That Really Matter
  • Our Lady of Kibeho: Mary Speaks to the World from the Heart of Africa
  • A Mothers Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul
  • The Little Oratory: A Beginner's Guide to Praying in the Home
  • Prayer Primer: Igniting a Fire Within
  • The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul
  • Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and Their Biblical Roots
  • Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives
  • Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: The 30-Day Challenge
  • The End of the Present World and the Mysteries of Future Life
  • Extreme Makeover: Women Transformed by Christ, Not Conformed to the Culture
  • Surprised by Truth 2: 15 Men and Women Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons For Becoming Catholic
  • A Little Way of Homeschooling
  • The Pope & the CEO: John Paul II's Leadership Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard
  • The Catholic Girl's Survival Guide for the Single Years: The Nuts and Bolts of Staying Sane and Happy While Waiting for Mr. Right

“As a parent, you may sometimes react in frustration, wanting to break his will or mete out some severe punishment in order to bring him down a notch and make him more docile. But even Father Hock back in the early 1930s recognized that much care must be taken not to cause the choleric to become hardened and embittered by harsh and punitive discipline: [B]y hard, proud treatment the choleric is not improved, but embittered and hardened; whereas even a very proud choleric can easily be influenced by reasonable suggestions and supernatural motives . . . it is absolutely necessary to remain calm and to allow the choleric to “cool off” and then to persuade him to accept guidance in order to correct his faults. . . .11” 0 likes