Start by marking “The Temperament God Gave Your Kids: Motivate, Discipline, and Love Your Children” as Want to Read:

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Do you have a child who is into everything? Your energetic, bubbly child is often the center of attention and sometimes in the middle of trouble!

Or perhaps you have a child who is just the opposite: quiet, studious, and slow to warm up in social situations.

Then there's the future lawyer: that argumentative, willful child who sometimes makes you want to pull your hair out.
Published February 17th 2012 by Our Sunday Visitor

To ask other readers questions about The Temperament God Gave Your Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Temperament God Gave Your Kids

Shaunda Penny
After resisting reading something like this for a long time, I ordered this book after a friend suggested learning about temperaments might help me with one of my particularly difficult children. I am so thankful I did! The book really helped me better understand all of my children, their strengths and weaknesses and how I can help them to become the person God is calling them to be by working WITH their temperament not against it. I would highly recommend this book to all parents who sometimes ...more
Janet
Nov 09, 2014 Janet rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Janet by: Ashley
One of my overriding questions is who came up with those category names? The book looks at the 4 different temperament types and how the parents' temperaments and the child's temperaments interact.

CHOLERIC
Cholerics people are leaders and directors. They seek to be in control of situations, to be on top, to be the best. They word things with confidence and certainty. They would say "X is this way" versus a phlegmatic who might say "maybe X is this way, or something?" If met by opposition, they r
Fides
If you've read "The Temperament God Gave You," you really don't need to buy this one or the one for your spouse. The authors just seem to be out to make more cash - so many sentences and stories were simply copied and pasted from their original title that it becomes annoyingly repetitive and you wonder why they couldn't have more original material for their follow-up books.
Lauren
Not bad. A very good jumping-off point for thinking about temperaments specifically in the context of parenting, however I wanted a bit more from this book. I wanted a little bit more about the younger years (my children are toddlers themselves), and perhaps a little more refinement in the manner of addressing certain other issues.
Karishma
I bought this book after attending a talk by Laraine Bennett at the IHM homeschooling conference. I think that colored my experience of it because there was so much overlap between the talk and the book. It is fascinating material, and definitely useful to identify your own temperament and that of the people around you, in particular your kids.

I was hoping for even more practical advice on how to parent kids of various temperaments, though. More nuts and bolts stuff rather than philosophical/ps
Venu
May 23, 2014 Venu rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: one
nice one
Lauren
Really liked this book for understanding my choleric son and sanguine daughter. And since I am a melancholic I liked seeing how my personality could affect my parenting style. Since I already knew the temperaments the beginning was a little repetitive but it got really good once I got to how the temperaments of parent and child interact.
Barb

This book, the third in the Bennett's fascinating series on temperament, gives parents useful tools and strategies to help their children build on their own strengths and grow in virtue. Highly recommended (read them all!)
Amanda
Good overall book even if not overly religious...just focus on the psycology. Could easily relate the real life examples to myself, childhood and current parenting situations. Very useful, now to get my husband to buy into it:)
Bethany
Wonderful Book, anyone who wants to really work with their children and not be succumbed to the "world's" view of what is "normal" should read this book.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Mary Belken
Mary Belken marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Gillian Norman
Gillian Norman marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Jenny Panico
Jenny Panico marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Kelly Garrett
Kelly Garrett marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Sr Maria
Sr Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Michele Pittman
Michele Pittman marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Bryn Alissia
Bryn Alissia marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Melissa Killough
Melissa Killough marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Temperament God Gave You: The Classic Key to Knowing Yourself, Getting Along with Others, and Growing Closer to the Lord The Temperament God Gave Your Spouse The Emotions God Gave You: A Guide for Catholics to Healthy and Holy Living The Emotions God Gave You: A Guide for Catholics to Healthy & Holy Living The Temperament God Gave Your Kids: Motivate, Discipline, and Love Your Children