Ultimate Comics X-Men, Volume 1

Ultimate Comics X-Men, Volume 1 (Ultimate Comics : X-Men)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The biggest mutant cover-up has gone public as the true history of the X-Gene is revealed. the United States government has been outed as the X-Gene's creator and mutants have been branded terrorists. as an identity crisis rocks the mutant world, the mistrust between man and x-man gets deeper ... and it is in this insanity that the X-Men emerge. Who are the X-Men? and how...more
Published April 4th 2012 by Marvel (first published April 1st 2012)

Dan
OK, so this isn't what it pretends to be. I picked this up assuming it was the first volume of X-Men in the Ultimate Universe and Wolverine would be a major character in it. I was wrong on both counts.

It may be volume 1 but this follows on from previous X-Men stories in the Ultimate universe and from what I could gather they ended with Magneto launching a massive attack on New York. In fact most of the first half of this collection repeatedly reminds of this, without really pushing on the storyl...more
Mike
This starts out OK - feeling original - but then quickly devolves to a tedious conflagration of retread repeat stories from old X-Men books, plus kinda boring and repetitive exposition.

The religious sermons and proselytising are nothing new - we've heard it all before (multiple times) and it doesn't even move the plot or understanding of the characters forward - feels like pure page filler, or maybe an exercise by the writer in channeling a preacher. I guess every writer has to do it once, get i...more
Myles
Well, I got a little too eager to read this and X: Origins and missed some important storylines in another Ultimate book - you know, just a little something in Spider-Man. But not like that's a spoiler or anything.

X-Men: Reborn is about how the world at large deals and reacts (mostly reacts) to the knowledge readers and supers gained about the manmade origin of the x-gene way back in Ultimate Origins. Learning that the x-gene isn't some accident of fate not only doesn't stop most of humanity fro...more
Gavin
OK so I'm coming in late to the party here...I think this is part of the second wave of Ultimate Comics titles.
Magneto made some massive attack on NYC, causing flooding and killing millions...this led to mutants being put into concentration camps and shoot to kill orders.
This team consists of: Kitty Pryde (known as Shroud here, not Shadowcat), Bobby Drake (still Iceman), Johnny Storm (Human Torch - the FF are no longer, and even though he's not quite a mutant, he somehow fits here), and Jimmy Hu...more
Mike
Meanwhile the reboot of Ultimate Comics X-Men was a bit more up my alley which is strange because this series is relying quite heavily on the “world that hates and fears them” angle that X-titles have been using since the sixties. Nick Spencer (whose work on Morning Glories is awesome) has taken a neat twist on the nature of mutants, that the U.S. Government created the X-Gene, and totally run with it. Spencer follows the revelation and its repercussions on the lives of mutants throughout the bo...more
Holden Attradies
I wasn't sure what to expect from this. the Ultimate stuff since Ultimatum has been pretty hit or miss. this was definitely more of a hit, and it seems that the stuff after the Death of Spider-man event has that old Ultimate line feel. Good, with awesome dialog and engaging stories, set in a more realistic Marvel world.

The character dynamics of the remaining X-men (plus Johnny Storm) work out really well. I like that they are all teenagers and have that youthful want to go fix things. This is al...more
Bob Parks
Alex Sarll
Having past form with teenagers in deadly situations through Morning Glories, Spencer was an obvious choice for this. The Ultimate Universe has made the 'hated and feared' bit of the Marvel mutant set-up more extreme - and more plausible - than ever before, while also twisting the set-up - here, the mutants are a US military experiment that got loose. And now that information has itself got loose. The results are predictably grim but, unlike when Jeph Loeb killed off most of the original Ultimat...more
Daniel
Interesting enough start to an X series.
Scott
This "brave new world" stuff is pretty engaging.
Lindsey Stock
This volume presents and intriguing introduction to the newest Ultimate X-Men story arc. The story is solid, not the best though, and the art is good. Although this volume is only average compared to previous X-Men stories, it seems like it has a lot of potential to really pick up later on.
This book is also a good jumping on point for people who haven't read the previous Ultimate X-Men comics,although it does still build upon previous story lines.
Good, but not great.
Jeff Raymond
The best thing I can say about this is that it's delightfully off. Things are dark, and being post-Ultimatum event, it's not a happy story by any means, and yet I'm still really enjoying what they're doing with the X-Men on a whole.

With that said, as enjoyable as this was, I found...something lacking. I don't know what it was, and I'm diving right into the second trade to find out.

As an aside, anything with copious amounts of Kitty Pryde? Alright by me.
Shannon Appelcline
The premise for this new series of X-Men is terrific, almost making Days of Future Past into a modern storyline. The first couple of issues of setup are particularly strong. When Stryker enters the pictures, things get a little slow, as he’s not the most interesting character and was done better in the main universe, but this is still a very enjoyable volume.
Gary
At so point I'm going to have to read the Ultimate X-Men before Ultimatum. But this new lineup of Kitty Pride, Human Torch, Iceman, Rogue, and Wolverine's son seems... Kick-ass. After the devastation and all the revelation this Ultimate Universe is quickly becoming interesting.
Sharon
I don't know enough about comics to really place the storyline in context, but it doesn't seem groundbreaking. However, the execution is really good so far. I actually can't stop rereading these issues.
Daniel Butcher
A 3.5. Interesting discussion if who qualifies to be a mutant.

Not really a fan of Jimmy on cover in a wolverine suit since he does not where it in te book.

Chilling opening scene!
Dima Yakovenko
Довольно неплохое продолжение. Интересные герои, довольно неплохой (хотя и бредовый местами) сюжет, ну и неплохой стиль рисунка. Читать можно, но все-таки, раньше Люди-Икс были лучше.
TJ Shelby
Huge religious/political story line. Entertaining intro arc which is honestly only a 3 star story for me BUT Kaare's covers were so amazing I bumped it to a 4 star.
Craig
Ugh...well, I'd sure like to see a complete overhaul on the X-Men, but instead we get more of the same. This is really getting tired...
Jase
Kitty Pride, Human Torch, Iceman, Rogue, Sentinels and Pietro! New muties for upcoming series...can't wait!
Ian
Too many plotlines, and they're each centered around wishy-washy objectives.
Phil
solid x-men story. overall good read. these are desperate x-men.
The Book Geek
They should have left this series alone. ruined it.
Brian
wasn't expecting as good a story as this was.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Ultimate Comics: Ultimates by Jonathan Hickman Volume 1
  • Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Vol.2
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates: Death of Spider-Man
  • Avengers Arena, Vol. 2: Game On
  • X-23, Vol. 2: Chaos Theory
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 17: Sentinels
Nick Spencer is a comic book writer known for his creator-owned titles at Image Comics (Existence 2.0/3.0, Forgetless, Shuddertown, Morning Glories), his work at DC Comics (Action Comics, T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents), and for his current work at Marvel Comics (Iron Man 2.0, Ultimate Comics: X-Men).
More about Nick Spencer...
Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future Morning Glories, Vol. 2: All Will Be Free Morning Glories, Vol. 3: P.E. Morning Glories, Vol. 4: Truants Bedlam, Vol. 1