Start by marking “Ultimate Comics: X-Men, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Comics: X-Men, Volume 1

Ultimate Comics: X-Men, Volume 1 (Ultimate Comics: X-Men #1)

The biggest mutant cover-up has gone public as the true history of the X-Gene is revealed. the United States government has been outed as the X-Gene's creator and mutants have been branded terrorists. as an identity crisis rocks the mutant world, the mistrust between man and x-man gets deeper ... and it is in this insanity that the X-Men emerge. Who are the X-Men? and how ...more
Published April 4th 2012 by Marvel (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Comics

Anne

I've read part of this storyline somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it...
Maybe just a continuation of this particular story?

Whatever. I liked it.
After Magneto goes nuts and destroys New York, what's left of the X-men are in hiding. Or in Camps.
Not the fun kind of camps, with sing-a-longs and spooky stories around the fire...

Kitty Pryde is telling the story of how she went from Miss Don't Wanna Get Involved to Big Time Mutant Terrorist.
And along with that, you get a look at how the
Sesana
Jul 03, 2016 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
The first issue, or at least the first half of the first issue, are spectacular. The first scene has an intense emotional impact, and it's the perfect way to hammer home just how dire the situation is for mutants now. And the last scene is great, too, entirely unexpected. Interested to see where that's going. In between, it's ok, but nothing special. Too much like too many other stories I've read.
Jun 16, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
This starts out OK - feeling original - but then quickly devolves to a tedious conflagration of retread repeat stories from old X-Men books, plus kinda boring and repetitive exposition.

The religious sermons and proselytising are nothing new - we've heard it all before (multiple times) and it doesn't even move the plot or understanding of the characters forward - feels like pure page filler, or maybe an exercise by the writer in channeling a preacher. I guess every writer has to do it once, get i
Sep 13, 2016 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: completed-series
In the aftermath of Magneto's Ultimatum Event, this is a gut-punch of betrayal and devious plans... I have read two chapters into volume 2, and the lies and deceit continue for a while, ripping up the mutant world in Marvel's Ultimate universe.
Gavin
Sep 28, 2013 Gavin rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
OK so I'm coming in late to the party here...I think this is part of the second wave of Ultimate Comics titles.
Magneto made some massive attack on NYC, causing flooding and killing millions...this led to mutants being put into concentration camps and shoot to kill orders.
This team consists of: Kitty Pryde (known as Shroud here, not Shadowcat), Bobby Drake (still Iceman), Johnny Storm (Human Torch - the FF are no longer, and even though he's not quite a mutant, he somehow fits here), and Jimmy Hu
Amanda
Jun 20, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
3.5
Dan
OK, so this isn't what it pretends to be. I picked this up assuming it was the first volume of X-Men in the Ultimate Universe and Wolverine would be a major character in it. I was wrong on both counts.

It may be volume 1 but this follows on from previous X-Men stories in the Ultimate universe and from what I could gather they ended with Magneto launching a massive attack on New York. In fact most of the first half of this collection repeatedly reminds of this, without really pushing on the storyl
Justin
Nov 24, 2016 Justin rated it really liked it
Marvel's Ultimate Universe is being given another makeover, which means that after a long wait we finally get a new Ultimate X-Men series. This time around Nick Spencer and Paco Medina are the creative team, and they're dealing with a diminished X-Men lineup in the wake of the epic (and epically awful) Ultimatum events.

In this story, the US government is revealed to be the real source of all mutants, but reaction to mutants is worse than ever. Mutants are being interred and executed by Sentinel-
Aug 29, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Meanwhile the reboot of Ultimate Comics X-Men was a bit more up my alley which is strange because this series is relying quite heavily on the “world that hates and fears them” angle that X-titles have been using since the sixties. Nick Spencer (whose work on Morning Glories is awesome) has taken a neat twist on the nature of mutants, that the U.S. Government created the X-Gene, and totally run with it. Spencer follows the revelation and its repercussions on the lives of mutants throughout the bo ...more
Drown Hollum
I'm not an Ultimate U veteran. I've read the occasional issue and a handful of Ultimate Spider-Man, but I didn't really keep up with the universe and have never read Ultimate X-Men. Spencer's run appears to be a sort of reboot of the series, but it's important to acknowledge that it really isn't. Events pick up right after Ultimatum, and anyone not familiar with the Ultimate U will likely be lost, and possibly frustrated. Jean Grey changed her name? The Human Torch is an X-Man AND black haired? ...more
Myles
Well, I got a little too eager to read this and X: Origins and missed some important storylines in another Ultimate book - you know, just a little something in Spider-Man. But not like that's a spoiler or anything.

X-Men: Reborn is about how the world at large deals and reacts (mostly reacts) to the knowledge readers and supers gained about the manmade origin of the x-gene way back in Ultimate Origins. Learning that the x-gene isn't some accident of fate not only doesn't stop most of humanity fro
Holden Attradies
Dec 10, 2012 Holden Attradies rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect from this. the Ultimate stuff since Ultimatum has been pretty hit or miss. this was definitely more of a hit, and it seems that the stuff after the Death of Spider-man event has that old Ultimate line feel. Good, with awesome dialog and engaging stories, set in a more realistic Marvel world.

The character dynamics of the remaining X-men (plus Johnny Storm) work out really well. I like that they are all teenagers and have that youthful want to go fix things. This is al
Alex Sarll
Having past form with teenagers in deadly situations through Morning Glories, Spencer was an obvious choice for this. The Ultimate Universe has made the 'hated and feared' bit of the Marvel mutant set-up more extreme - and more plausible - than ever before, while also twisting the set-up - here, the mutants are a US military experiment that got loose. And now that information has itself got loose. The results are predictably grim but, unlike when Jeph Loeb killed off most of the original Ultimat ...more
Bob Parks
May 23, 2012 Bob Parks rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
Jeff Raymond
Apr 26, 2013 Jeff Raymond rated it really liked it
The best thing I can say about this is that it's delightfully off. Things are dark, and being post-Ultimatum event, it's not a happy story by any means, and yet I'm still really enjoying what they're doing with the X-Men on a whole.

With that said, as enjoyable as this was, I found...something lacking. I don't know what it was, and I'm diving right into the second trade to find out.

As an aside, anything with copious amounts of Kitty Pryde? Alright by me.
Lindsey Stock
Jul 09, 2012 Lindsey Stock rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
This volume presents and intriguing introduction to the newest Ultimate X-Men story arc. The story is solid, not the best though, and the art is good. Although this volume is only average compared to previous X-Men stories, it seems like it has a lot of potential to really pick up later on.
This book is also a good jumping on point for people who haven't read the previous Ultimate X-Men comics,although it does still build upon previous story lines.
Good, but not great.
Shannon Appelcline
Oct 15, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
The premise for this new series of X-Men is terrific, almost making Days of Future Past into a modern storyline. The first couple of issues of setup are particularly strong. When Stryker enters the pictures, things get a little slow, as he’s not the most interesting character and was done better in the main universe, but this is still a very enjoyable volume.
La Revistería Comics
Los Hombres-X sobrevivientes y algún que otro descarriado que se suma ahora rejuntan como pueden las cenizas del equipo para esta nueva etapa Ultimate en la que muy probablemente las cosas no les salgan nada bien...
Sharon
Jun 17, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comixology
I don't know enough about comics to really place the storyline in context, but it doesn't seem groundbreaking. However, the execution is really good so far. I actually can't stop rereading these issues.
Gary
Jun 24, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2012
At so point I'm going to have to read the Ultimate X-Men before Ultimatum. But this new lineup of Kitty Pride, Human Torch, Iceman, Rogue, and Wolverine's son seems... Kick-ass. After the devastation and all the revelation this Ultimate Universe is quickly becoming interesting.
John White
Oct 01, 2015 John White rated it really liked it
I thought it was really good stayed in the spirit of Ultimate X as opposed to ultimatum. It mixed fun action with the important elements of plotting the pacing was excellent.

The art work is really very good I really like the way the shadowing on characters faces was done in this title.
Dan
Oct 01, 2013 Dan rated it did not like it
They should have left this series alone. ruined it.
Craig
Jun 05, 2012 Craig rated it liked it
Ugh...well, I'd sure like to see a complete overhaul on the X-Men, but instead we get more of the same. This is really getting tired...
Daniel
May 08, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Interesting enough start to an X series.
Jase
Sep 04, 2012 Jase rated it really liked it
Kitty Pride, Human Torch, Iceman, Rogue, Sentinels and Pietro! New muties for upcoming series...can't wait!
Brian
Sep 10, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
wasn't expecting as good a story as this was.
Dmitry Yakovenko
Jan 16, 2012 Dmitry Yakovenko rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Довольно неплохое продолжение. Интересные герои, довольно неплохой (хотя и бредовый местами) сюжет, ну и неплохой стиль рисунка. Читать можно, но все-таки, раньше Люди-Икс были лучше.
Ian
Sep 30, 2013 Ian rated it it was ok
Too many plotlines, and they're each centered around wishy-washy objectives.
Blake Bouza
Aug 04, 2015 Blake Bouza rated it liked it
Not a traditional X-Men story, for sure. Sets up a couple things I'm not sure the writing can follow through on, but interesting enough to watch happen!
Daniel Butcher
Apr 16, 2013 Daniel Butcher rated it really liked it
A 3.5. Interesting discussion if who qualifies to be a mutant.

Not really a fan of Jimmy on cover in a wolverine suit since he does not where it in te book.

Chilling opening scene!
  • Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Volume 1: The Republic Is Burning
  • Ultimate Comics X: Origins
  • Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, by Brian Michael Bendis, Volume 3
  • Ultimate Comics: X-Men, by Brian Wood, Volume 1
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers Vol. 1: The Next Generation
Nick Spencer is a comic book writer known for his creator-owned titles at Image Comics (Existence 2.0/3.0, Forgetless, Shuddertown, Morning Glories), his work at DC Comics (Action Comics, T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents), and for his current work at Marvel Comics (Iron Man 2.0, Ultimate Comics: X-Men).
More about Nick Spencer...

Ultimate Comics: X-Men (6 books)
  • Ultimate Comics: X-Men, Volume 2