The Curse of the Kings

The Curse of the Kings

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  1,516 ratings  ·  33 reviews
For centuries the tombs of the Pharaohs were haunted by a deadly curse. And when two eminent archaeologists have died mysteriously, Judith Osmond was certain that it was the curse at work. Then, overnight, her life changed. There was an unexpected inheritance. Then Tybalt, a young archaeologist and the man she adored, asked her to marry him. But Tybalt planned a honeymoon...more
Published June 1st 1973 by Doubleday (first published 1973)

Julz
Cheryl Landmark
Victoria Holt has always been one of my favourite gothic writers. I started reading her many years ago, and I still enjoy delving into one of her books every now and then.

This one, although it started off a little slow in the action department, was no exception. The first part spent a fair amount of time introducing the characters, showing how their childhood and interactions with each other helped mold them into the adults they became. And, then, the mystery, suspense and intrigue common to the...more
Jesse
I've read four of Victoria Holt's novels now, and I liked all of them, but I've noticed all of her books work on a formula, and now I have very little interest in reading the rest of them.

Here's the formula:

Female protagonist is childhood friends with wealthy children in the area, but is not wealthy herself. She becomes close to them and somewhere in her adolescence she falls madly in love with one of the rich men, who she can't have. As she gets older, her life continues to parallel the wealthy...more
penelopewanders
This was sent by Bookworm-lady as a celebration of her bookcrossing membership. I think this is the first book I've read by this author, and it was rather fun... at one point I really did wonder if, as opposed to most historical romance type novels, the hero would turn out NOT to be a hero, or the heroine would actually die...But far be it from me to offer a spoiler here.
I did have the impression there were a number of false leads - corridors which led to dead-ends, so to speak, that the author...more
Mojca
A wonderfully suspenseful and thrilling read tinted with the mystique, legends, and a possible curse of ancient Egypt.

Certainly a must-read for all VH fans.
Hafiza
Annoying heroine stood in the way of my enjoying this ook.
Also Tybalt was a cold fish.
Felmar Rowell Singco
Set in Egypt... Delightful pharaohnic gothic romance...
Lighthearted
Despite her unknown parentage, Judith Osmond has a lovely childhood. The local pastor and his sisters have provided a loving home for her at the rectory. She has attended lessons with the local squire’s daughter and nephew. That same squire, Sir Ralph, is quite pleased with her when she chances upon a Roman artifact; having a strong interest in archaeology himself, he finds her passion for archaeology worthy of indulging.

Years later, on an expedition in Egypt financed by Sir Ralph, his neighbor...more
Ashlee Mallory
The setting of this story was very interesting and I wonder if it was what had first piqued my interest in Egypt and the Middle East. But the romance was on the low end and would say a good twenty percent was spent on the heroine agonizing whether her husband loved her or not. Or more. It got to be pretty irritating, almost as much as the hero's cold indifference to her until the last five pages. Still, I think the Victoria Holt was an amazing storyteller, this book included.
The book opens with the deaths of Sir Edward Travers and Sir Ralph Bodrean. Sir Edward was an archaeologist and died in Egypt while on a site. Sir Ralph had helped fund the expedition. Rumors a circulating that it's the curse of the Kings. The beginning of the book is about Judith growing up with the children in both homes. She was interested in archaeology and while growing up they had lessons about it and she continued her interest by reading books on the subject. Eventually you get to the pre...more
Heidi
This was more about nostalgia than anything else. I read all the Victoria Holt, Mary Stewart, Barbara Michaels that I could get my hands on growing up. In the summer I would go out to the backyard and climb into the old Navy-issue hammock that I had strung between some trees on the wooded lot that bordered our lawn. No school, a good book to take me far away from that small Wisconsin town, sunshine, birdsong...it was idyllic. I enjoyed reading this again, but I couldn't help but be irritated by...more
Susan Lorenz
I loved Victoria Holt in my younger days. A pleasant read but my tastes have matured a bit so that the plot didn't seem all that suspenseful to me. Easy light novel.
Henni
Sød og rimelig hurtigt læst romantisk roman med et historisk tilsnit. Man kan godt fornemme at den er skrevet for en del år siden, tonen og skrivestilen er en hel den anderledes end den man finder i dag, men det er fint til en afveksling en gang i mellem.
Barbi
Hands down, this is my favorite Victoria Holt novel because I love the protagonist so much. I'll admit it's not her strongest novel. The plot is a touch contrived and Judith's ability to let her imagination run away from her is taken to a rather unbelievable extreme.

However, the characterization of Judith herself is more than enough to make up for the novel's flaws. Judith is exuberant, passionate, imaginative, and headstrong. The zeal with which she tackles life is incredibly appealing, and it...more
Susan
I like Victoria Holt books. I agree with an earlier reviewer that this is not her best book. This was the first novel of her's that I read and so it holds a special place in my heart. I enjoy her style of writing because I feel like I am reading something written in the 1870's instead of the 1970's.
Peggy Huey
An interesting read for people interested in archaeology, as central to the storyline is a search for a Pharaoh's tomb in Egypt. Set in the 19th century when people were supposed to maintain their station, the book provides a heroine who actively seeks to step above hers and to control her life choices.
Neja
Books written by Victoria Holt are so cheesy, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I've read a loooot of her books when I was 14/15 years old..that was the last time I've read them. I absolutely loved them at the time. I'm thinking of reading one of her books just for the old times sake! =)
Gaylee
Another good read. Judith thought that the tombs were haunted, but she didn't want to admit it. And then her sister died and she was reconsidering her thoughts. Was really a good book, couldn't put it down at the end, so had to finish it.
Vmontgzz
La protagonista es un poco arrogante pero la vida ya la puso en su lugar, sufrio un poquito para conseguir al galan y ahora esta con la incognita (como mas de una de las prota de la Holt) de si Tybalt se casa por ella o por su fortuna.
Judy Hall
I read this book more than 30 years ago, but it is the Victoria Holt I remember. I was so obsessed with Egyptology back then. And I read everything she wrote, at least as Victoria Holt.
bookyeti
Really enjoyed this one. Would have been better had the heroine not been so annoying (found her too needy and whiny). Besides that, a good typical-Holt read!
Dani
It made me read on till i figured out who it was, I didn't even have a clue, not one. As usual the person that did it, it surprised me.
Callie
This one was not my favorite of hers... the girls always marry their dream men and then never know if they love them back... getting old.
Tammy
I usually love Victoria Holt books, but this was not her best. It helped pass the time when I was sick.
Raisha
Good book for a speedy reading..:)
suspense and setting is good..but had a very weak ending.
Heather
A definite guilty pleasure that I have been indulging for 16 years.
Starr Daphne
this is a very great book i really enjoy!
Deborah
See Mistress of Mellyn.
Amber
Oct 11, 2012 Amber marked it as to-read
1973. No book jacket.
  • Flaming Tree
  • The Return of the Gypsy (Daughters of England, #12)

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec...more
More about Victoria Holt...
Mistress of Mellyn On the Night of the Seventh Moon The Shivering Sands The India Fan The Pride of the Peacock