Start by marking “The Bastard King (Norman Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bastard King (Norman Trilogy, #1)

The Bastard King (Norman Trilogy #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  410 ratings  ·  24 reviews

DISCOVER A LOST CLASSIC IN PLAIDY'S FABULOUS GEORGIAN SERIES

This glorious novel chronicles the life of William the Conqueror, the bastard son of the Duke of Normandy, from childhood until his death in 1087.

He is destined to succeed his father as the Duke of Normandy but questions about his legitimacy mean he consistently faces challenges from potential usurpers in the D

Published May 13th 1977 by Macmillan (first published December 31st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Bastard King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bastard King

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Forsyte Saga by John GalsworthyThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonHis Dark Materials by Philip PullmanWolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
Best Literary Trilogies
68th out of 182 books — 80 voters
When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay PenmanShadow on the Crown by Patricia BracewellSworn Sword by James AitchesonThe Splintered Kingdom by James AitchesonThe Summer Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick
House of Norman
10th out of 30 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

StoryTellerShannon
A former girlfriend introduced me to the author, who goes by several other pen names.

Her books are quite short but tend to be well-paced. Additionally, she is very accurate Historically, so, unlike GLADIATOR or BRAVEHEART, movies which I love but which are not accurate, you are getting a good coverage of what you missed in school.

Story follows the life of William the Conqueror, starting with his father's rise to power, William's birth and then an internal struggle. We then follow his path as h
Ruth
c1974: FWFTB: Matilda, ambitious, crown, Harold, title. I am 99% convinced that this is actually a re-read. I used to devour Ms Plaidy's books and there was a time where I read nothing but historical novels. It certainly helped with O Level history! I did find the story a little irritating at times. I know that the author was trying to fill in the gaps of historical fact (remember, though, that history is written by the victor) but some of the interactions with the cast of characters were just a ...more
Deb
This book flamed my fascination for William the Conqueror. Several years after I read it, I visited Bayeux in France and got to see the Bayeux tapestry. Very exciting.
Stephanie Burkhart
William is the bastard son of Robert the Magnificent and Arlette, the tanner's daughter. Can William find peace and love with such tempestuous beginnings?

Plaidy is at her historical finest with "The Bastard King." Set in the 11th Century, Robert, an heir to the Duke of Normandy, falls in love with a common woman. Arlette gives him a son, William. Robert intends for William to become the Duke of Normandy after his death. Robert's tenure as Duke is filled with passionate highs and sorrowful low po
Tania
This is the story of William the Conqueror – Duke of Normandy and King of England, son of Robert the Magnificent and a long line of Dukes of Normandy. Such a wonderful foundation was set by first telling part of the story of Robert the Magnificent and his love story with Arlette, daughter or a tanner who might not have been a suitable match on paper but was the perfect match in heart.

We are walked through William’s life and delighted at the turn it takes when he finds his own true love in Matild
MaryKate
I knew next to nothing about William the Conqueror and his family, besides 1066 and all that jazz, before reading this novel. It prompted me to do my research and I read about the real Bayeaux Tapestry, Doomsday Book and Battle of Hastings, among other things. As always, Plaidy introduces unforgettable characters and it will take me quite awhile to forget them. Matilda is a tough woman, but her and William's relationship makes sense. Their relationships with their children are complicated and, e ...more
Kristen
I really enjoyed this book! My friend saw the title and said "WHAT are you reading?" It is a historical fiction novel based on the Duke of Normandy/ King of England known as William the Conqueror (he was born out of wedlock, hence the title of the book). It was a very clean book, no bad language or crude parts, and I loved learning the history of this very early time period of European rulers. I will definitely read the next book in the series.
Lois
This is the first book in the Norman Trilogy. Jean Plaidy writes fiction about the kings and queens of England. This one is about William the Conqueror. I didn't like the title, just saying. The author does a pretty good job developing her characters, and this one was full of people with plenty of selfish ambition, desiring revenge, a refusing to forgive. This book lacked a good hero, however, which is why I rated it two stars.
Joy
William the Bastard fights his way to a new name, William the Conqueror. The author's Victoria Holt style puts her simplified Jean Plaidy writing style to shame, but I was interested in her interpretations of William and his wife Matilda. I was even willing to follow William's career with sympathy for the length of this book.
Kathleen
When I was younger I read all of Victoria Holt's books. Victoria Holt was another pen name that Jean Plaidy wrote under. I was expecting the same standard of writing (perhaps now I'm older my expectations of what a good writer is, has increased). I felt the characters were under developed and the whole book lacked sparkle.
Kathee
It was okay - got a bit long, despite being only a couple hundred pages. It is the first in a series of three about this particular family. If you are enjoying the stories about the Tudors, this might be good to add to your list. Jean Plaidy has several to read - most are really awesome.
Kayla Tornello
William the Conqueror was born a bastard, but managed to become both the Duke of Normandy and the King of England. This is a novel about his life. The author does a good job of bringing the central characters to life. Even so, there is nothing truly memorable about this book.
James Oliver Burns
This is the first book of Jean PlaiDy's I Ever read, And I Was Hooked. Her Story Telling and Historical accuracy Makes for a Great Read. The fist time I Read This Book Was in 1987 before I kept A log. I have reread This Book and Many others. I Highly Recommend Her
Rayna  (Poindextrix)
A great piece of historical fiction, Plaidy takes readers through the childhood and rise to power of William the Conqueror. This book is a masterful mix of history and characterization of one of England's great rulers.
Helen
I first started reading Jean Plaidy books as a young teenager when my grandmother introduced me to them. This is one I had never read. Fast paced story with great history. really brings the period alive for me.
Denerick
Read it when I was much younger. Interesting little read; Plaidy is a decent historical fiction writer. But a little outside of my area of interest I must say...
Pat
My first Jean Plaidy. I got a stack of her books at a library sale. I enjoyed the history and writing in this one, so look forward to reading more.
Angela Joyce
Jun 04, 2010 Angela Joyce rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Donal
What fun! William the Conqueror and his folks are at LEAST as exciting as the Tudors! Have they had their own show yet?
Khrisered
Thought it was a worthwhile introduction to 1066 and all that!
Betsy
Great novel of William the Conqueror, brings his time to life.
Sonya Wanvig
Great. Fascinating man. Fascinating woman. And all true
Michele
4 solid stars...review formulating in my head now...
Sara W
William the Conqueror
Sylke
Sylke marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Jen Jeffries
Jen Jeffries marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Victoria Holt, J...: Part 3: The King 26 10 May 14, 2013 08:04AM
Victoria Holt, J...: The Traitor thru Adelisa in Love 27 12 May 13, 2013 04:58AM
Victoria Holt, J...: * The Birth of the Bastard thru The Seed is Sown 15 12 May 06, 2013 02:47PM
Victoria Holt, J...: Group Read: The Bastard King 11 11 Apr 05, 2013 09:19AM
  • The Running Vixen (Wild Hunt Trilogy, #2)
  • Wife to the Bastard
  • The Lost Queen
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • Gildenford (Norman Quartet, #1)
  • The Rose of York: Crown of Destiny (The Rose of York Trilogy, #2)
  • Queen Defiant: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • Within the Hollow Crown: A Reluctant King, a Desperate Nation, and the Most Misunderstood Reign in History
  • The Conqueror
  • The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2)
  • Within the Fetterlock
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown (Tudor Saga #1)