Start by marking “The Heart of the Lion (Plantagenet Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Heart of the Lion (Plantagenet Saga, #3)

The Heart of the Lion (Plantagenet Saga #3)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  609 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
At the age of thirty-two, Richard the Lionheart has finally succeeded Henry II to the English throne. And, against his father's wishes, he intends to make Berengaria, daughter of the King of Navarre, his Queen. But first he must fulfil his vow to his country to win back Jerusalem for the Christian world. Leaving England to begin his crusade, Richard's kingdom is left in th ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Arrow (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of the Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of the Lion

Rosemarie Short
Jan 30, 2014 Rosemarie Short rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I am, if anyone hadn't guessed thus far, a massive fan of Jean Plaidy. Whilst having little to no interest in the Plantagenet dynasty before now I suddenly find myself enthralled, almost entirely through her wonderful writings, and gaining new knowledge day by day of the period.

Plaidy books are for those who love history but need a light or fictitious doorway to saunter in through. For me engaging a new historical period solely on the strength of non-fiction is daunting. However if I watch seri
Phil Syphe
Aug 02, 2016 Phil Syphe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author does a good job of bringing one of England's most famous kings to life. Richard I, aka Richard the Lionheart, is portrayed more realistically than in other accounts I’ve read, and especially more so than in most film adaptations I've seen.

While Richard was a great leader and warrior, he hardly cared for the country who crowned him, spending little time upon English soil. He taxed the people heavily to fund his ambition of going on a crusade to Jeruselem.

Other characters, such as Richa
Gina Schwartz
I found this book at a Church harvest and thought it would be a fitting addition to my historical fiction collection. Ithought it was just ok. I haven't read much about Richard the Lion Hearted - except of course that he went on a crusade but from this novel made his seems quite blah.

The most exciting incident comes way toward the end of the novel and surrounds Richard's release from captivity. i dont want to spoilt the story (can you really spoil the story in historical stuff) but anyway an ama
Alaine
Oct 11, 2008 Alaine rated it it was ok
At the age of thirty-two, Richard the Lionheart has finally succeeded Henry II to the English throne. And, against his father's wishes, he intends to make Berengaria, daughter of the Kind of Navarre, his Queen. But first he must fulfil his vow to his country to win back Jerusalem for the Christian world. Leaving England to begin his crusade.

The book was so bad that the above is some of the book blurb, not all of it because it is incorrect. The back blurb say that 'Richard entrusts his kingdom to
Tania
Oct 24, 2010 Tania rated it liked it
Richard, son of Henry II, comes to power upon the death of his father. The newly crowned King of England and Duke of Normandy fees his mother as his first act as King. The Queen Mother Eleanor sets about to make Richard, always her favored son, the most powerful ruler in the world. Though he is honest and forthright and has the presence to be such, he is too easily distracted. He tosses off his betrothed for the Princess Berengaria of Navarre, who makes him a loving and devoted wife. Alas, she w ...more
James Burns
Richard I of England known throughout history as the lionheart! He is one of My favorite characters of Midi-evil History. I read and study every source that I can. Though I Like to read Jean plaidy Books I am dis-appointed in her writings on Richard I, Her history of events are pretty accurate she seems to focus on his Sexuallity. Which I find Disconcerning and irresponsible. There I is no concrete evidence that he was a homo-sexual. This did not come out until around 1948 By John Harvey based o ...more
Richard
Sep 20, 2015 Richard rated it it was amazing
The third in the Plantagenet series and each one has been a 5* rating. I have learnt so much about this period of history, and was amazed at the exploits (and antics) of Richard the Lionheart, one of our 'greatest' kings! A great warrior, but not so great a ruler. Still, he's better than the king in the next book, the infamous JOHN. I look forward to learning more about him. Perhaps he was a good king after all. Perhaps not.
Lee
King Henry II is dead and Richard I, his third son is now King of England, yet he had made a vow to reclaim Jerusalem for Christianity. Putting aside the importance of establishing his kingship, he heads a crusade, along with King Phillip II of France to achieve that goal leaving his crafty brother John behind to make problems for England.
Richard Stueber
Jan 09, 2015 Richard Stueber rated it liked it
Tells the story of Richard I the Lion Heart, King of England. It starts with his coronation 8 Sept 1157 and ends with his death 6 April 1199. Sharon Kay Penman did a much fuller treatment of Richard's activities in "Lionheart" and "A King's Ransom".
This is not too bad, but I would read the other two volumes if Possible
Julio Vm
Oct 02, 2015 Julio Vm rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
La nota sería 25 estrellas.
Hay que dejar claro que la recreación del reinado de Ricardo es buena. Esta repleta de detalles, anécdotas, perfila bien la personalidad del protagonista...La autora hace bien su trabajo.
El único problema es que el reinado no me ha parecido tan emocionante como el de Enrique II. Es una cuestión de mi gusto personal, no del libro.
Leeré el siguiente, cuando tome un "respiro Plantagenet"
Lee
Sue Hopkins
Aug 04, 2014 Sue Hopkins rated it did not like it
I found this story badly written for the period and the style, also it didn't hold my interest.
Amber
Apr 20, 2013 Amber rated it liked it
Ok, another book I read on the Lionheart. Admittedly, they've both been fiction and by authors praised for their talent. But I just couldn't really enjoy this one, either - so perhaps it IS the Lionheart I just can't take to.

The cast of characters surrounding Richard are alive with vitality - particularly Eleanor of Aquitaine, his mother - including his poor, lost wife Berengaria. However, unlike characters we come to love and cheer for, or those we simply love to hate, I have no feeling at all
Janie
Aug 04, 2015 Janie marked it as waiting-list-to-read
Recently purchased this from an antique bookstore, because the owner recommended it to me. I'm glad he did! It reminds me a little by of the Kingdom of dreams by Judith Mcnaught.
Pepca
Nov 05, 2014 Pepca rated it really liked it
Richard the Lionhearted is often romanticised in fiction. However, Plaidy portrays him in a much more realistic way, with his good and bad qualities. The latter are above all his naivety and the notorious Plantagenet temper and are to blame for some of his mistakes that ultimately lead to his downfall.

Read full review on my blog, Beyond Strange New Words.
Maja
Mar 21, 2013 Maja rated it it was ok
This will be the last book I read in this series. I'm officially fed up with Plaidy's writting. She is so repetitive it feels as if I read the same couple of pages over and over again. Nothing happens. The big battles are reduced to a single sentence while all the mundane little thoughts are stressed, underlined and repeated to the point where it feels like they are almost your own thoughts. No, I'm done with this.
Alison
I didn't like this 3rd book in the series as much as the first 2 but still enjoyed it. The story of Richard I and the crusades was intriguing as well as the constant eye-on-the-crown John. I do really like the way Ms. Plaidy makes this time of what has always seemed to me a mangled, impossible to understand era much more easily understood. On to #4-and John....
Mandy
Sep 25, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
This one was much better than "The Queen's Secret." Again, it filled in holes of my British history knowledge. I often know about the kings in general, but know little about their wives or other relatives. I understand that this is romanticized, but I can see the facts mixed in and how she did her research. I enjoy these kind of things.
Kyle
Aug 04, 2013 Kyle rated it really liked it
As great a king as he was, I did find this book to be a bit lacking in the romance department. Of course, if you read the book or know much about King Richard you'd understand why it's not the author's fault, lol. It was still a decent book and I would recommend it to any historic fiction lover.
Denise
Aug 08, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2014
In the third book in the Plantagenet saga, wonderfully talented historical novelist Jean Plaidy brings to life Richard the Lionheart, following his life from his father's death until his own. Another great read, my favourite out of the series so far!
Paola Emilia
Jul 15, 2016 Paola Emilia rated it liked it
Interesting book altough I really didnt like Richard I a warrior king who loved to fight far and away from his country.
Karen
Sep 15, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
What a great way to learn of the history of Richard I Lion-Heart.
Arlynda
Jean Plaidy is one of my favorite authors of this time in history.
Gretchjon
Dec 12, 2010 Gretchjon rated it liked it
Not great writing, but an easy way to read history.
Sara W
Jul 23, 2007 Sara W rated it really liked it
Richard (the Lionheart) I (son of Henry II)
Deb
Jan 03, 2010 Deb rated it really liked it
Very good story.
Daniela Torres
Daniela Torres marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Mariana Lamberti
Mariana Lamberti marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Rozaline Long
Rozaline Long marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Sharon Rogers
Sharon Rogers rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 12, 2015 11:03AM
  • The Lute Player
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II
  • The Passionate Brood
  • The Marsh King's Daughter
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • Within the Fetterlock
  • The White Boar (Lovell Duo, #1)
  • The Secret Eleanor
  • Harlot Queen
  • The Rose of York: Crown of Destiny (The Rose of York Trilogy, #2)
  • Mistress Anne
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

Plantagenet Saga (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Plantagenet Prelude (Plantagenet Saga, #1)
  • The Revolt of the Eaglets (Plantagenet Saga, #2)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Plantagenet Saga, #4)
  • The Battle of the Queens (Plantagenet Saga, #5)
  • The Queen from Provence (Plantagenet Saga, #6)
  • Hammer of the Scots (Plantagenet Saga, #7)
  • The Follies of the King (Plantagenet Saga, #8)
  • The Vow on the Heron (Plantagenet Saga, #9)
  • Passage to Pontefract (Plantagenet Saga, #10)
  • The Star of Lancaster (Plantagenet Saga, #11)