Start by marking “The Heart of the Lion (Plantagenet Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Heart of the Lion (Plantagenet Saga, #3)

The Heart of the Lion (Plantagenet Saga #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  491 ratings  ·  18 reviews
At the age of thirty-two, Richard the Lionheart has finally succeeded Henry II to the English throne. And, against his father's wishes, he intends to make Berengaria, daughter of the King of Navarre, his Queen. But first he must fulfil his vow to his country to win back Jerusalem for the Christian world. Leaving England to begin his crusade, Richard's kingdom is left in th ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Arrow (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of the Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of the Lion

Rosemarie Short
I am, if anyone hadn't guessed thus far, a massive fan of Jean Plaidy. Whilst having little to no interest in the Plantagenet dynasty before now I suddenly find myself enthralled, almost entirely through her wonderful writings, and gaining new knowledge day by day of the period.

Plaidy books are for those who love history but need a light or fictitious doorway to saunter in through. For me engaging a new historical period solely on the strength of non-fiction is daunting. However if I watch seri
Alaine
At the age of thirty-two, Richard the Lionheart has finally succeeded Henry II to the English throne. And, against his father's wishes, he intends to make Berengaria, daughter of the Kind of Navarre, his Queen. But first he must fulfil his vow to his country to win back Jerusalem for the Christian world. Leaving England to begin his crusade.

The book was so bad that the above is some of the book blurb, not all of it because it is incorrect. The back blurb say that 'Richard entrusts his kingdom to
Tania
Richard, son of Henry II, comes to power upon the death of his father. The newly crowned King of England and Duke of Normandy fees his mother as his first act as King. The Queen Mother Eleanor sets about to make Richard, always her favored son, the most powerful ruler in the world. Though he is honest and forthright and has the presence to be such, he is too easily distracted. He tosses off his betrothed for the Princess Berengaria of Navarre, who makes him a loving and devoted wife. Alas, she w ...more
James Oliver Burns
Richard I of England known throughout history as the lionheart! He is one of My favorite characters of Midi-evil History. I read and study every source that I can. Though I Like to read Jean plaidy Books I am dis-appointed in her writings on Richard I, Her history of events are pretty accurate she seems to focus on his Sexuallity. Which I find Disconcerning and irresponsible. There I is no concrete evidence that he was a homo-sexual. This did not come out until around 1948 By John Harvey based o ...more
Richard Stueber
Tells the story of Richard I the Lion Heart, King of England. It starts with his coronation 8 Sept 1157 and ends with his death 6 April 1199. Sharon Kay Penman did a much fuller treatment of Richard's activities in "Lionheart" and "A King's Ransom".
This is not too bad, but I would read the other two volumes if Possible
Sue Hopkins
I found this story badly written for the period and the style, also it didn't hold my interest.
Amber
Ok, another book I read on the Lionheart. Admittedly, they've both been fiction and by authors praised for their talent. But I just couldn't really enjoy this one, either - so perhaps it IS the Lionheart I just can't take to.

The cast of characters surrounding Richard are alive with vitality - particularly Eleanor of Aquitaine, his mother - including his poor, lost wife Berengaria. However, unlike characters we come to love and cheer for, or those we simply love to hate, I have no feeling at all
Pepca
Richard the Lionhearted is often romanticised in fiction. However, Plaidy portrays him in a much more realistic way, with his good and bad qualities. The latter are above all his naivety and the notorious Plantagenet temper and are to blame for some of his mistakes that ultimately lead to his downfall.

Read full review on my blog, Beyond Strange New Words.
Maja
This will be the last book I read in this series. I'm officially fed up with Plaidy's writting. She is so repetitive it feels as if I read the same couple of pages over and over again. Nothing happens. The big battles are reduced to a single sentence while all the mundane little thoughts are stressed, underlined and repeated to the point where it feels like they are almost your own thoughts. No, I'm done with this.
Alison
I didn't like this 3rd book in the series as much as the first 2 but still enjoyed it. The story of Richard I and the crusades was intriguing as well as the constant eye-on-the-crown John. I do really like the way Ms. Plaidy makes this time of what has always seemed to me a mangled, impossible to understand era much more easily understood. On to #4-and John....
Mandy
This one was much better than "The Queen's Secret." Again, it filled in holes of my British history knowledge. I often know about the kings in general, but know little about their wives or other relatives. I understand that this is romanticized, but I can see the facts mixed in and how she did her research. I enjoy these kind of things.
Kyle
As great a king as he was, I did find this book to be a bit lacking in the romance department. Of course, if you read the book or know much about King Richard you'd understand why it's not the author's fault, lol. It was still a decent book and I would recommend it to any historic fiction lover.
Denise
In the third book in the Plantagenet saga, wonderfully talented historical novelist Jean Plaidy brings to life Richard the Lionheart, following his life from his father's death until his own. Another great read, my favourite out of the series so far!
Karen
What a great way to learn of the history of Richard I Lion-Heart.
Arlynda
Jean Plaidy is one of my favorite authors of this time in history.
Gretchjon
Not great writing, but an easy way to read history.
Sara W
Richard (the Lionheart) I (son of Henry II)
Deb
Very good story.
Aimee
Aimee added it
Jan 21, 2015
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Lacey Holley
Lacey Holley marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Hanan Alharbi
Hanan Alharbi marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Sherrie Guerrero
Sherrie Guerrero marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
  • The Lute Player
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • Banners of Gold (Alix of Wanthwaite, #2)
  • The Passionate Brood
  • The Marsh King's Daughter
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • The Queen's Pleasure
  • The Secret Eleanor
  • Tudor Women: Queens & Commoners
  • The Uncrowned Queen (War of the Roses, #3)
  • The Woodvilles: The Wars of the Roses and England's Most Infamous Family
  • Harlot Queen
  • The King's Favorite: A Novel of Nell Gwyn and King Charles II
  • The First Elizabeth
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

Plantagenet Saga (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Plantagenet Prelude (Plantagenet Saga, #1)
  • The Revolt of the Eaglets (Plantagenet Saga, #2)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Plantagenet Saga, #4)
  • The Battle of the Queens (Plantagenet Saga, #5)
  • The Queen from Provence (Plantagenet Saga, #6)
  • Hammer of the Scots (Plantagenet Saga, #7)
  • The Follies of the King (Plantagenet Saga, #8)
  • The Vow on the Heron (Plantagenet Saga, #9)
  • Passage to Pontefract (Plantagenet Saga, #10)
  • The Star of Lancaster (Plantagenet Saga, #11)
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown (Tudor Saga #1)