Start by marking “The Revolt of the Eaglets (Plantagenet Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Revolt of the Eaglets (Plantagenet Saga, #2)

The Revolt of the Eaglets (Plantagenet Saga #2)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  620 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
News of Thomas a Becket's martyrdom has spread throughout Christendom and the blame is laid at the feet of Henry Plantagenet, King of England. Two years later, with Becket canonised, Henry's position is precarious: punished at the Pope's insistence for his part in Becket's death, he now also has an enemy in his Queen, Eleanor of Aquitaine, after her discovery of his longst ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Arrow (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Revolt of the Eaglets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Revolt of the Eaglets

NayNay
Nov 17, 2012 NayNay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
King Henry II of England and Queen Eleanor of Acquitaine are my favorite King and Queen to read about. And this book was a very enjoyable read. King Henry II was an energetic and sometimes ruthless ruler, driven by a desire to restore the lands and privileges of his royal grandfather. The King, had mistresses, this put him at odds with his headstrong, opinionated, wife, Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine. Once she discovered his unfaithfulness and realized that it had taken place right under her very no ...more
Maja
Dec 01, 2011 Maja rated it liked it
As with the book proceeding this one I was quite annoyed at the constant repeatings. King Henry only thought of Princess Alice and wanting his sons to love him. Eleanor only thought of hating her husband. Young Henry only thought of being king. Richard only thought of hating his father, loving his mother and keeping Aquitaine. Yap, yap, yap, how boring. The only thing really keeping me reading is the subject, the Plantagenets, whom I know nothing about and therefore everything is new and excitin ...more
Caroline
The Revolt of the Eaglets is a direct sequel to Jean Plaidy's The Plantagenet Prelude. This 1977 entry was part of her never-ending quest to fictionalize each and every aspect of British history. This novel picks up just after the end of the last one. Thomas a Becket has just been murdered and the marriage of King Henry and Queen Eleanor has fallen apart.

Whereas the previous book was very much Eleanor's story, the Revolt of the Eaglet's is told mostly from Henry's perspective, although various c
anna
Jul 14, 2014 anna rated it liked it
may be in the minority for having given this, my fourth Plaidy novel less than four stars, but I just don’t feel a higher rating was deserved. For one thing, the writing style seemed very repetitive, and, as other reviewers have said, Plaidy seemed to have been very much in the habit of telling rather than showing what was happening. I don’t really hold that against her, as that may have been a style common to the ‘70s when this book was first published.

It was good in places, showing the break
Phil Syphe
Jun 13, 2016 Phil Syphe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Jean Plaidy is one of my favourite authors, she does annoy me in books like this by repeating certain themes, over and over. The amount of times Henry II wishes his sons loved him and questioning why they don't is one such example.

This period of English and French history is a fascinating one, and at times this novel does a good job of re-enacting them, but the repetition of several characters' views and feelings dampens what could've been a much better novels.

Overall I'm more impressed
Nelda Pearson
Mar 07, 2013 Nelda Pearson rated it it was ok
I have read the entire Plaidy Plantagenet series. If you know nothing about this royal dynasty and wish an overview of everything that led up to the War of the Roses, this is fairly historically accurate. However, the writing is wooden and conversation tends to fall into what I call the "Yo varlet what now" category. Things like: Prince Richard: "We must go." Prince John: "Yes, we must go." Prince Richard. "Summon the guards." Prince John: "Guards" Then in the next scene they are somewhere miles ...more
Tania
Oct 24, 2010 Tania rated it it was ok
I have to say I was disappointed in this 2nd book of the Plantagenet series. There were alot of words used to describe very little. I found many parts of the book redundant as Plaidy reminds us over and over again about past events and each characters' feelings, reminding the reader as quickly as 5 pages later of something we've read. Also the end result was basically beaten into the reader very early in the book, there was no suspense. It all fell short of Plaidy's other masterpieces.

King Henr
Richard
Aug 27, 2015 Richard rated it it was amazing
I read this immediately after finishing the first book of this series, the Plantagenet Prelude. I have given Both a 5* rating, I would give them more if I could. This is history that comes alive, not some boring, fact riddled account that reminds me of school days. I love English history, especially this period and I'm inclined to read a factual account now just to see how accurate Jean Plaidy's books are to what really happened. Whatever the accuracy, these books are a fantastic read.
Pepca
Nov 05, 2014 Pepca rated it really liked it
There are several reasons I liked The Revolt of the Eaglets better than The Plantagenet Prelude.

It seemed better written to me, or maybe I just got used to Plaidy’s simplistic style for this saga.

I liked the sense of the author’s sarcastic opinion about the historical events and figures she presents. It appears in subtle, faint undertones in many spots, and I may have just imagined it, but I it gave the book a bit of a special flavour.

Overall, The Revolt of the Eaglets was a gripping historical
Lee
The turbulent reign of King Henry II and Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine. Challenged at various times by each of his four sons and adamant about holding all of his territories until his death, Henry finds little peace during his reign.
Steph Taylor
Jan 02, 2016 Steph Taylor rated it liked it
Really struggled with this one. Having very limited knowledge of any kings or queens pre-Tudor, I decided to give Jean Plaidy's books a go as she pretty much has them all covered from the Conqueror to Queen Victoria... I find reading historical fiction brings history alive and makes it more interesting then reading factual books... Have sailed through all of them up until this one. I felt that it had a lot of 'filler' in it, a lot of repetition, especially of Henry's thoughts or feelings which b ...more
Denise
Apr 03, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2014
The second book in Plaidy's Plantagenet saga deals with the later part of Henry II's reign, beginning with the aftermath of the murder of Thomas Becket and telling of the imprisonment of Henry's wife Eleanor of Aquitaine, his affairs with Rosamund and the French princess Alice who was intended as prince Richard's bride and the years of feuding with his sons until his death. Great historical fiction!
Paola Emilia
Sep 16, 2015 Paola Emilia rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and would recommend it to anyone interested in Henry II and his queen, we can learn about the plots the sons of the couple made in order to achieve poder.
Zuzana
This just needed a much bolder editor. The constant repetitions of what seemed like entire paragraphs drove me nuts (esp how Henry felt about his sons, Eleanor and/or Alice was repeated verbatim almost every other page). If 100 page shorter it would have been a great book.
RJay
Oct 29, 2012 RJay rated it liked it
I always enjoy reading about Henry II and Eleanor and appreciate reading about them from a variety of perspectives. This book was more from Henry's viewpoint than others I've read. One of the most interesting aspects was the relationship between Henry and Rosamund (and it's end) and his relationship with the young Alis. The "rumors" about the relationship were confirmed in this version and I found it intriguing to speculate on what really happened. Certainly he kept Richard and Alis from marryin ...more
Kerry
Aug 19, 2014 Kerry rated it it was ok
I normally love Jean Plaidy but this was disappointing. It was overlong and repetitive.
Leighah
Sep 22, 2015 Leighah rated it really liked it
good
Nicole
Aug 14, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
Plategenet Saga 2

1133 - 1189 (H)
1122 - 1204 (E)

England Henry II & Eleanor of Acqutaine A chronicle of the family of King Henry II of England and his Queen, Eleanor of Acquitaine, and their four sons, Henry, Richard, Geoffrey, and John.
Sy Ferrari
Sep 10, 2010 Sy Ferrari rated it liked it
a every long book about the last years of henrique plantageneta' kingdow. it's attaches too long on the french court' diplomacies questions. maybe we'll have more action on the 3rd book.
Kyle
Aug 04, 2013 Kyle rated it really liked it
Loved it. After becoming almost burnt out on the Tudor era, I am finding reading about the Plantagenets refreshing. Jean Plaidy never fails to deliver a great read.
Holly
Jan 20, 2015 Holly rated it liked it
it was good, not as good as others of hers I've read, but that could be because I was spoiled by Sharon Kay Penman's trilogy of Henry & Eleanor ;).
Lisa
Mar 07, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. Written with excellent knowledge of the period and with the emotion that comes through with all of her books. Loved it
Alison
Jun 01, 2010 Alison rated it really liked it
2nd in series and another great read! Loved the development of the Henry/Eleanor story and the eventual succession of Richard.
Betsy
Feb 02, 2010 Betsy rated it liked it
Redundant after reading the Courts of Love, but same style and attention to detail.
Sara W
Jul 23, 2007 Sara W rated it really liked it
Henry II's sons - Henry, Richard, Geoffrey and John
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
reveurdart
reveurdart marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
  • Eleanor the Queen
  • The Passionate Brood
  • The Secret Eleanor
  • The Wild Hunt
  • Harlot Queen
  • Queen's Confession: A Fictional Autobiography
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • The White Boar (Lovell Duo, #1)
  • Queen Defiant: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • Within the Fetterlock
  • The Rose of York: Fall from Grace (The Rose of York Trilogy, #3)
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • Beloved Enemy: The Passions of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Queen of Last Hopes: The Story of Margaret of Anjou
  • Eleanor of Aquitaine: The Mother Queen of the Middle Ages
  • Time and Chance (Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine, #2)
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

Plantagenet Saga (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Plantagenet Prelude (Plantagenet Saga, #1)
  • The Heart of the Lion (Plantagenet Saga, #3)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Plantagenet Saga, #4)
  • The Battle of the Queens (Plantagenet Saga, #5)
  • The Queen from Provence (Plantagenet Saga, #6)
  • Hammer of the Scots (Plantagenet Saga, #7)
  • The Follies of the King (Plantagenet Saga, #8)
  • The Vow on the Heron (Plantagenet Saga, #9)
  • Passage to Pontefract (Plantagenet Saga, #10)
  • The Star of Lancaster (Plantagenet Saga, #11)