Start by marking “The Revolt of the Eaglets (Plantagenet Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Revolt of the Eaglets (Plantagenet Saga, #2)

The Revolt of the Eaglets (Plantagenet Saga #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  538 ratings  ·  19 reviews
News of Thomas a Becket's martyrdom has spread throughout Christendom and the blame is laid at the feet of Henry Plantagenet, King of England. Two years later, with Becket canonised, Henry's position is precarious: punished at the Pope's insistence for his part in Becket's death, he now also has an enemy in his Queen, Eleanor of Aquitaine, after her discovery of his longst ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Arrow (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Revolt of the Eaglets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Revolt of the Eaglets

NayNay
King Henry II of England and Queen Eleanor of Acquitaine are my favorite King and Queen to read about. And this book was a very enjoyable read. King Henry II was an energetic and sometimes ruthless ruler, driven by a desire to restore the lands and privileges of his royal grandfather. The King, had mistresses, this put him at odds with his headstrong, opinionated, wife, Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine. Once she discovered his unfaithfulness and realized that it had taken place right under her very no ...more
Maja
As with the book proceeding this one I was quite annoyed at the constant repeatings. King Henry only thought of Princess Alice and wanting his sons to love him. Eleanor only thought of hating her husband. Young Henry only thought of being king. Richard only thought of hating his father, loving his mother and keeping Aquitaine. Yap, yap, yap, how boring. The only thing really keeping me reading is the subject, the Plantagenets, whom I know nothing about and therefore everything is new and excitin ...more
Caroline
The Revolt of the Eaglets is a direct sequel to Jean Plaidy's The Plantagenet Prelude. This 1977 entry was part of her never-ending quest to fictionalize each and every aspect of British history. This novel picks up just after the end of the last one. Thomas a Becket has just been murdered and the marriage of King Henry and Queen Eleanor has fallen apart.

Whereas the previous book was very much Eleanor's story, the Revolt of the Eaglet's is told mostly from Henry's perspective, although various c
anna
may be in the minority for having given this, my fourth Plaidy novel less than four stars, but I just don’t feel a higher rating was deserved. For one thing, the writing style seemed very repetitive, and, as other reviewers have said, Plaidy seemed to have been very much in the habit of telling rather than showing what was happening. I don’t really hold that against her, as that may have been a style common to the ‘70s when this book was first published.

It was good in places, showing the break
Nelda Pearson
I have read the entire Plaidy Plantagenet series. If you know nothing about this royal dynasty and wish an overview of everything that led up to the War of the Roses, this is fairly historically accurate. However, the writing is wooden and conversation tends to fall into what I call the "Yo varlet what now" category. Things like: Prince Richard: "We must go." Prince John: "Yes, we must go." Prince Richard. "Summon the guards." Prince John: "Guards" Then in the next scene they are somewhere miles ...more
Tania
I have to say I was disappointed in this 2nd book of the Plantagenet series. There were alot of words used to describe very little. I found many parts of the book redundant as Plaidy reminds us over and over again about past events and each characters' feelings, reminding the reader as quickly as 5 pages later of something we've read. Also the end result was basically beaten into the reader very early in the book, there was no suspense. It all fell short of Plaidy's other masterpieces.

King Henr
Pepca
There are several reasons I liked The Revolt of the Eaglets better than The Plantagenet Prelude.

It seemed better written to me, or maybe I just got used to Plaidy’s simplistic style for this saga.

I liked the sense of the author’s sarcastic opinion about the historical events and figures she presents. It appears in subtle, faint undertones in many spots, and I may have just imagined it, but I it gave the book a bit of a special flavour.

Overall, The Revolt of the Eaglets was a gripping historical
Denise
The second book in Plaidy's Plantagenet saga deals with the later part of Henry II's reign, beginning with the aftermath of the murder of Thomas Becket and telling of the imprisonment of Henry's wife Eleanor of Aquitaine, his affairs with Rosamund and the French princess Alice who was intended as prince Richard's bride and the years of feuding with his sons until his death. Great historical fiction!
Zuzana
This just needed a much bolder editor. The constant repetitions of what seemed like entire paragraphs drove me nuts (esp how Henry felt about his sons, Eleanor and/or Alice was repeated verbatim almost every other page). If 100 page shorter it would have been a great book.
Rosemary Prawdzik
I always enjoy reading about Henry II and Eleanor and appreciate reading about them from a variety of perspectives. This book was more from Henry's viewpoint than others I've read. One of the most interesting aspects was the relationship between Henry and Rosamund (and it's end) and his relationship with the young Alis. The "rumors" about the relationship were confirmed in this version and I found it intriguing to speculate on what really happened. Certainly he kept Richard and Alis from marryin ...more
Kerry
I normally love Jean Plaidy but this was disappointing. It was overlong and repetitive.
Nicole
Plategenet Saga 2

1133 - 1189 (H)
1122 - 1204 (E)

England Henry II & Eleanor of Acqutaine A chronicle of the family of King Henry II of England and his Queen, Eleanor of Acquitaine, and their four sons, Henry, Richard, Geoffrey, and John.
Sy Ferrari
a every long book about the last years of henrique plantageneta' kingdow. it's attaches too long on the french court' diplomacies questions. maybe we'll have more action on the 3rd book.
Kyle
Loved it. After becoming almost burnt out on the Tudor era, I am finding reading about the Plantagenets refreshing. Jean Plaidy never fails to deliver a great read.
Holly
it was good, not as good as others of hers I've read, but that could be because I was spoiled by Sharon Kay Penman's trilogy of Henry & Eleanor ;).
Lisa
Really enjoyed this book. Written with excellent knowledge of the period and with the emotion that comes through with all of her books. Loved it
Alison
2nd in series and another great read! Loved the development of the Henry/Eleanor story and the eventual succession of Richard.
Betsy
Redundant after reading the Courts of Love, but same style and attention to detail.
Sara W
Henry II's sons - Henry, Richard, Geoffrey and John
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Jennifer McGraw
Jennifer McGraw marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Madeline Friedman
Madeline Friedman marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
  • Eleanor the Queen
  • The Passionate Brood
  • Harlot Queen
  • The Secret Eleanor
  • The Wild Hunt (Wild Hunt Trilogy, #1)
  • The Canterbury Papers  (Alais Capet, #1)
  • Queen's Confession: A Fictional Autobiography
  • The White Boar (Lovell Duo, #1)
  • The Rose of York: Fall from Grace (The Rose of York Trilogy, #3)
  • The First Princess of Wales
  • Time and Chance (Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine, #2)
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • Beloved Enemy: The Passions of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • Fatal Majesty: A Novel of Mary, Queen of Scots
  • Within the Fetterlock
  • Queen Defiant: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

Plantagenet Saga (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Plantagenet Prelude (Plantagenet Saga, #1)
  • The Heart of the Lion (Plantagenet Saga, #3)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Plantagenet Saga, #4)
  • The Battle of the Queens (Plantagenet Saga, #5)
  • The Queen from Provence (Plantagenet Saga, #6)
  • Hammer of the Scots (Plantagenet Saga, #7)
  • The Follies of the King (Plantagenet Saga, #8)
  • The Vow on the Heron (Plantagenet Saga, #9)
  • Passage to Pontefract (Plantagenet Saga, #10)
  • The Star of Lancaster (Plantagenet Saga, #11)
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown (Tudor Saga #1)