Start by marking “Tout Soul: The Pursuit of Happiness in Rural France ” as Want to Read:
Tout Soul: The Pursuit of Happiness in Rural France

Tout Soul: The Pursuit of Happiness in Rural France (Karen Wheeler memoir #3)

Published March 1st 2012 by Sweet Pea Publishing (first published February 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Tout Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tout Soul

Rachel Hawes
Sep 27, 2012 Rachel Hawes rated it really liked it
Al 3 of these books are fabulous but I think this is my favourite. No spoilers (but oh there are some huge shocks) but the balance of heartbreaking sadness and laugh out loud moments make wonderful reading. Here's to a forth!
Jacqueline
May 07, 2014 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: france, memoirs
Life, wherever you live, doesn’t always give you sunny courtyards and glasses of rosé wine and this book is an honest, but very readable account of a difficult time in Karen's life. Her relationship is not going well, she falls out of love with French village life and then her world is turned upside down by an accident involving a friend.

This is a heart-wrenching and far more emotional read than Karen's first two books, Tout Sweet and Toute Allure. However despite the somewhat subdued feel, Kare
Christine Corrigan
Aug 06, 2012 Christine Corrigan rated it liked it
While I really enjoyed Tout Sweet, this book left me a bit flat, notwithstanding it's very sad and tragic turn of events. For the first part of the book, I couldn't help but wonder why the author did not see a therapist to deal with her depression, or at least so she could get her own medication, rather than borrow a friend's. Later in the book, I found the author's insights regarding how to create a life with meaning -- care for other people, take up another's cross, be a good friend -- ...more
Sherill Leonardi
Jun 29, 2015 Sherill Leonardi rated it really liked it
A surprising little memoir packed with all of the humor, miscommunications and angst of a love affair gone terribly wrong. British expat, Karen Wheeler, learns the value of life's stumbling blocks and in the process taps into the happiness locked in her heart. A great beach read!
Claire Metcalf
Nov 01, 2016 Claire Metcalf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well worth it

This book has been a long time coming and has been well worth the wait, funny thoughtful and sad, brilliant can't wait to read the next one
Susan Mcdonald
Jun 03, 2013 Susan Mcdonald rated it it was amazing
Tout Soul is the third book of Karen Wheeler's "Tout" series. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel! Karen's writing is so beautiful, I felt like I was there in France and could visualize the small villages, bistros, and the characters. I don't want to spoil what happens in Tout Soul, so I won't comment much on the plot. However, the emotions invoked by Karen's writing are powerful, and I highlighted several meaningful passages about life near the end and I know I will refer back to these passages in ...more
Betty C.
Apr 25, 2015 Betty C. rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-expat
I hesitated to move on to this third book in Wheeler's series, as her second one was too dog-oriented and failed to grab me. Yet I was left curious as to what was going to become of the highly endearing yet highly imperfect -- in other words, totally human -- narrator.

Tout Soul is by far the most emotional and complex of the series, and knowing it is a memoir left me feeling quite sad at the end. Despite claims of her finding keys to happiness after a life-changing trauma, I finished the book no
Veronika Kaufmann
Sep 02, 2012 Veronika Kaufmann rated it liked it
I totally enjoyed Ms.Wheeler's first book Tout Sweet. The first half of this particular offering I loved more than the second half simply because I could totally relate to the loss and the bouts of struggling to get out of bed and find meaning in one's life. Loved that. The part dealing with Luis dragged on a bit and I agree with one reviewer here who found Ms. Wheeler's revelations about finding happiness in the small things and giving back somewhat tepid. Be that as it may, everybody discovers ...more
Carol
Feb 22, 2013 Carol rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel-related
This is a story of love and loss, NOT a description of delightful rural France. While I had sympathy for the protagonist, I was very disappointed in the depressing environment (of course, she WAS depressed over losing her lover) where the favorite food of the people is really steak frites, not rich delicacies, and the weather seemed to be cold, rainy, and uncomfortable most of the time. I did appreciate what she found good on her life, those friends who supported her through her lengthy tragedy. ...more
Kelly
Sep 08, 2012 Kelly rated it it was ok
I loved the first two books, I couldn't wait to read this one. Boy what a let down. Yes it is dramatic and traumatic but totally not what I was looking for. If indeed this story is based on the authors real life, I have to wonder about her mental state - throughout the book she's delusional, depressed, and somewhat of a stalker. Seems like a book written by a teenage girl rather than a 40 year old woman.
Jo Harrison
May 14, 2012 Jo Harrison rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this, as much as the first two books - not so uplifting but (view spoiler)

These books took a small role in my decision to move to France last year, out of all the biography style books about France these are the best I have come across.
Priscilla
Feb 04, 2014 Priscilla rated it it was amazing
The best of the three books: Tout Sweet, Toute Allure and Tout Soul. Karen bares her soul in Tout Soul, and it is some of her best writing. Beautiful! Someone should obtain the movie rights to all three; the movie could zip through Tout Sweet, linger a bit longer in Toute Allure, and focus on Tout Soul for a rich ending.
Jun 10, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel
I really enjoyed the first book, Tout Sweet, but by the 3rd book I felt that the story was dragging on.
Brenda
Mar 22, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down. This was for me the best book of the three. Beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. Well written and honest. Loved it!
Aayeshanatasha
Jul 15, 2012 Aayeshanatasha rated it it was amazing
Great read as I expected. Karen goes through a lit of emotional turmoil in this third book about her life in rural France. So relatable, I couldn't put it down. My heart goes out to her.
Cyndi
Jul 16, 2012 Cyndi rated it really liked it
tears were rolling down my cheeks by the end of the book. I wasn't expecting that turn of events. how sad. Really makes you reflect on life.
Janis
Mar 30, 2012 Janis rated it it was amazing
At first I wasnt so sure it was as good as the other two but as it went on I couldnt put it down, there is a complete shock in it and I finished by crying buckets!
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Melanie  Duncan
Melanie Duncan rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Bernie
Bernie rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Kerrie Lorenzini
Kerrie Lorenzini rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Gillian Edwards
Gillian Edwards rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2013
Anne-Marie Barsby
Anne-Marie Barsby rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Cris K
Cris K rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2016
Flowerchild54
Flowerchild54 rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Lorraine Farrow
Lorraine Farrow rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2013
Jessica Hulse dillon
Jessica Hulse dillon rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2013
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2014
  • The Latte Years: A Story of Losses, Gains and Life Beyond the After Photo
  • Tranquilista: Mastering the Art of Enlightened Work and Mindful Play
  • 100 Places in Italy Every Woman Should Go
  • Candida Free Cookbook: 125 Recipes to Beat Candida and Live Yeast Free
  • From Here, You Can't See Paris: Seasons of a French Village and Its Restaurant
  • Paris Dreaming
  • I Quit Sugar
  • Confessions of a Paris Party Girl
  • A Town Like Paris: Falling in Love in the City of Light
  • Paris, Baby!
  • Sowing Secrets
  • Narrow Dog To Carcassonne
  • My Grape Year: (The Grape Series #1)

Karen Wheeler memoir (3 books)
  • Tout Sweet: Hanging Up My High Heels For A New Life In Rural France