Start by marking “Scat (Scat's Universe, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Scat (Scat's Universe, Book 1)

Scat (Scat's Universe, Book 1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  10 reviews
ebook
Published (first published December 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Scat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scat

Ron
Amazing. A gripping story which starts like a space opera, gradually playing itself out all over this arm of the Milky Way, then suddenly it blossoms into something every different: something the author planted the seeds for from the start, but the reader tends to miss for the space opera. (view spoiler)

For a first...more
Douglas Bittinger
The Story
Scat, by Jim Graham is an imaginative and intriguing story set in the far future that follows Sebastian Scatkiewicz, a.k.a. Scat - an American in the US Marine Corps and decorated war hero. After ‘retiring’ from the Marines he finds himself on a distant planet working in a mine. He gets caught up in a riot there, and is shipped to another planet where he is unwillingly swept up in a planetary rebellion. The major players in the war that ensues are not governments so much as mega-corpora...more
Tamara
Took me a while to get into this, and I almost stopped reading it altogether a few times, but ultimately I'm glad I finished it. The author has created an interesting world here, and built it up really nicely. The action is slow, though, with more of a told-and-not-shown feel to it in places. And the military aspects were a bit forced feeling to me.
But, I would definitely call this successful sci-fi. The setting's futuristic elements were flawlessly presented, and the writing in general was smo...more
Thomas Cotterill
Scat is Jim Graham’s first novel. Best described as a hard science-fiction thriller, the dialogue-driven plot revolves around ruthless resource-based political machinations worthy of Frank Herbert’s Dune. Like Dune, there is also a struggle for planetary independence. While lacking the mystical allure of Herbert’s Muad’ Dib, the book’s main character - hard-nosed laconic ex-soldier, Scat - makes a far more believable rebel leader. We follow his travels and exploits throughout the novel. However,...more
Sarah Baethge
Scat by Jim Graham is a great, futuristic tale involving everything you could expect to come from a Sci-fi story; be it rebels wanting to break their chains to Earth or frightening, very god-like aliens. The word Scat is actually a person, a high ranking Earth soldier with the last name Scatkiewicz. Soon after the story begins, he is hired to act as a spy and help keep an eye on the ever-growing society of those who live away from the planet, people who find that their lives and work only produ...more
Alan Graham
I need to be upfront with the fact Jim Graham is my brother but don’t think me bias. It can be the hardest thing to comment about a sibling’s work, especially if the work is something that doesn’t normally interest you. Firstly I don’t read a great deal; secondly I went off sci-fi after watching a triple bill of Star Wars, with Jim, back in the early 1980’s... I had tried reading an early draft of ‘Scat’ on my PC but couldn’t get into it; he classed me as a lost cause.

Having bought my own tablet...more
Jack
This book definitely started my reading habits again, it introduced me to the space opera and what defines it. The short chapters meant that it is very easy for me to read on the go and each chapter has an excitement to it that makes me want to continue reading and looking for more. If you are looking for good sci fi, this is a good book to start.

Disclaimer: I know the author.
Roy Higgins
Action packed and a good read.Just one complaint. The rebellion ended too abruptly for me, and I later found the missing attacks to have been included in a seperate novel, Birdie Down. Well worth a read though and The Watchers, introduced at the end, look interesting and are the subject of his sequal novel.
Indiebrag
We are proud to announce that SCAT has been honored with the 2012 B.R.A.G.Medallion - this is a book well worth your time and money!
Rob
This was a fun military sci-fi read and a interesting combination of viewpoints. I look forward to the sequel.
Angus
Angus marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Cliff
Cliff marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Kantami Blossom
Kantami Blossom marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Chris Toney
Chris Toney marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Scott Meehan
Scott Meehan marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Simona
Simona marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Marketa Bentley
Marketa Bentley marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Pete Miller
Pete Miller marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Jeremy Frens
Jeremy Frens marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
JJ Swearingen
JJ Swearingen marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Jeffry
Jeffry marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Mark Chalmers
Mark Chalmers is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2013
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
I was born in Bushey, Middlesex, England and grew up in Hatfield, Hertfordshire where I spent my early years covered in mud and grazes. When not gated to the garden, I stirred up neighbourhood wasp nests and made earwig and spider snacks for my baby brother.

I passed selection for the 21st Special Air Service Regiment at age 17 and was later commissioned as a Second Lieutenant into the Queen’s Reg...more
More about Jim Graham...
Birdie Down (Scat's Universe Rebellion, #1) Army of Souls (Scat's Universe, Book 2)