Start by marking “The Inquiry Agent” as Want to Read:
The Inquiry Agent

The Inquiry Agent

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  176 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews

Published December 18th 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Inquiry Agent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inquiry Agent

⊱ Irena ⊰
Mar 11, 2014 ⊱ Irena ⊰ rated it really liked it
This is a very good, well written story. It is quite obvious that the author is a fan of Charles Dickens. There are a dozen of references to his characters.
There are three things which annoyed me about it though, two of them just being my personal preference and nothing to do with the way it is written.

First, I hate foreshadowing. When an author uses foreshadowing it reminds me that I am reading a story. It interrupts my reading. I'd rather be surprised. Five or six times this happened while I w
Wolf
Dec 04, 2013 Wolf rated it really liked it
William King is generally known for his fantasy stories but he shows here that his talents go much further. 'The Inquiry Agent' is a historical detective story - something like an unusual cross between the worlds of Charles Dickens and Raymond Chandler. It creates a strong and vivid world - strange, yet familiar, utterly unlike our own, but not so very far removed. It seems to live and breathe in a way that many historical novels fail to. The scenes of children in a gin palace, the dark skinned ...more
Valerie
Apr 24, 2014 Valerie rated it really liked it
Enjoyed being transported back to 1840's London.
The style of writing made me feel like I was there.
I felt a part of this interesting, dark detective tale.
John
May 21, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book very much. It was well researched and the historic details were amazing. It taught me a lot about the seedy side of London in the 1840s. Character development was excellent, even the minor characters were well established. Some people have commented on typos and I noticed a few minor errors, but nothing that distracted from the story.
Judy Rem
Mar 15, 2012 Judy Rem rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. One of the better historical mysteries I have read in quite a while.
It is very reminiscent of Bruce Alexander's Sir John Fielding's series.
I highly recommend this book.
VMom
Jan 14, 2013 VMom rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this and hope there is a sequel.
Mary
London 1841: a city on the edge. Corruption is everywhere. The poor are starving in the streets. The wealthy fear an explosion of anarchy and insurrection. Amidst the turmoil, a wealthy merchant and his spoiled, beautiful ward hire former Bow Street Runner Jack Brodie to recover incriminating documents from the lawless rogues that robbed them. It is no easy task even for a man with Brodie's criminal connections because an old and vicious enemy has returned from the penal colony of New South Wale ...more
Clarice
Apr 17, 2012 Clarice rated it liked it
I found “The Inquiry Agent” to be a very enjoyable read in spite of several editing errors at the beginning in the form of missing words, missing punctuation, and unnecessary punctuation. I would describe this novella as Sherlock Holmes meets Sam Spade, but you might be disappointed if you are expecting a fast-paced, tightly written whodunit. Although the main character, Jack Brodie, does have a mystery to solve, the story centers mostly around his interactions with his family and his day-to-day ...more
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it it was amazing
There's just something captivating about Victorian England that lends itself the a good detective story. Especially when a good author is at the helm.

Jack Brodie is an inquiry agent, a private eye. He's tasked with retrieving a rich merchant's stolen goods after his home is broken into. Jack senses all is not what it seems. And he's right. Jack has to work the case as well as deal with a specter of the past while trying to get the job done.

What makes this a very fun, fast paced read isn't just t
Richard
Feb 06, 2014 Richard rated it it was ok
Okay historical crime novel set in 1841 London. Far too much 'telling' with not enough 'showing' makes for a rather dry effort. Plus the central character is not all that interesting or sympathetic. A former Bow Street Runner now doing private inquiry work is an interesting premise, but in the hands of William King turns out to be tedious.

There are much better historical mysteries out there, with Edward Marston heading the English contingent. Go there for reading that is worth your time.
Deleva
Mar 01, 2012 Deleva rated it it was ok
Well.

That sucked.

Okay, so it wasn't all bad. I could not, in good conscience, give it only one star. There were excellent moments of wordsmithing in here.

But then there were the moments when I wanted to write to the author and beg him to fire his editor. That book should never have been published in that state. It's a disgrace, honestly. Missing words, bad or missing punctuation, and OH GOD THE RUN ON SENTENCES. Seriously, this is stuff even an amateur editor like myself would have been ashame
Virginia S Branham
Sep 25, 2014 Virginia S Branham rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Read....Great Adventure

Loved this story of doing right even if it was wrong. This story covered all emotions of life.love,envy,desire,revenge and fear. I wanted the main character to win his battle, but a small part of me felt for the bad guys too. Over all a very fun read.
Paula
Mar 09, 2015 Paula rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Some irritating grammatical errors, but otherwise a good read. That's why it's a 3 instead of a 4.
Lori Henrich
Oct 08, 2013 Lori Henrich rated it liked it
This wasn't bad. Seemed rather old for a book from 2011, but since it was the setting was Victorian period in London it probably should be.

A man with a secret hires Jack Brodie to find out who robbed his home and to recover the items taken, no questions asked. The man's ward, who is spoiled and used to getting her own way, has a tendency to interfere with the investigation process.

I like the setting although it seemed kind of a plodding story. It didn't take that long to read, but it seemed kind
Holly Brown
Dec 12, 2014 Holly Brown rated it really liked it
A callback to the Classics

The first book I ever bought and read on my kindle, The Inquiry Agent holds a bit of nostalgia for me. I love everything Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has written, and this reminded me of Sherlock Holmes. While a bit slow to begin with, the plot picks up speed and has a great ending. I went to recommend it to my mother-in-law but lo and behold... she was already reading it. And so should you be!
Cliff Townsend
Oct 26, 2014 Cliff Townsend rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this well done little detective adventure set in 19th century England.
Susan
Jun 21, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This mystery was one of the most evocative books of the dark side of Victorian England I have ever read. It not only gave the reader a
picture of the teeming masses of poor, sick and hopeless inhabitants of London, but it also
presented how precarious someone's hold on
middle-class safety could be. The detective and his home life, the plot, that English urban setting were all so well created.
Patricia Gulley
Mar 25, 2013 Patricia Gulley rated it liked it
This was a rather interesting story of a 'retired' bow street runner. I had to skim a long over some of it because it repeated information twice sometimes three times. That's because it it s first person and worries and woes of a man in that time period were many. If this is a series, I will look at the next book. Is that it about Sarah?
Eileen
Jul 30, 2012 Eileen rated it liked it
I'm bad at choosing a number of stars to rate books. =) I enjoyed this one - well-written, interesting, good sense of the time period. But the central mystery was kind of boring. And there was a whole chapter about "ratting" dogs that I could have lived without.

That being said, it was pretty good, especially as a free book.
John
Sep 13, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, 4-star, 2013
I enjoyed this book, though there were parts that dragged a little. As I read it I found myself thinking that the two primary plot points were going to resolve themselves independently, and I wasn't sure how I felt about that, but in the end the author pulled the two together nicely. All in all, I enjoyed it.
Scott James
Oct 21, 2012 Scott James rated it really liked it
An excellent homage to the 19th century detective, with an authentic feel and "sound" to the characters. Imagine a Noir Bleak House, about 1/4 the length, and you'll be prepped. And King's protagonist is definitely a keeper, I'd like to read more about him in subsequent books.
Cynthia Maddox
Jan 13, 2015 Cynthia Maddox rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this period tale. I liked the characters and enjoyed the interaction in the family. Found myself on the edge of my seat a few times worried about Bordie. Very good tale, well told. I'll be checking out this author.
Mickey Hoffman
Oct 05, 2013 Mickey Hoffman rated it liked it
The book well describes the setting in London, 1841, but the story is lacking in pace. I liked the second book of the series better. The main character is unique and he gives the book most of its interest.
Mark Bless
Mar 23, 2012 Mark Bless rated it really liked it
Excellent historical fiction. I found the main character, Jack Brodie, very engaging. An essentially honest man in a very dishonest world. Well done.
Jo
Feb 08, 2016 Jo rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
Not my usual read and I must admit that the writing style made continuing to the end a chore at times, that said actual story was quite good.
Jerelyn
I couldn't get passed my 50 page cut off. Amateurish, sorry I love the story idea, just couldn't get past the horrible editing.
Sally-W
Aug 22, 2013 Sally-W rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Historical mystery set in London. Not just a detective story - great descriptions of everyday life too.
Jennie
Reminded me a whoooole lot of Ashley Gardner's Captain Lacey books.
Billie
Jun 26, 2013 Billie rated it really liked it
Interesting..not a block buster
Lloyd Hatch
Jun 10, 2013 Lloyd Hatch rated it really liked it
ok
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • Anatomy of Evil (Barker & Llewelyn, #7)
  • Cicada
  • Tough Cookie (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #2)
  • Tick Tock Run
  • Midwyf: Liza
  • Matanzas Bay (A Quint Mitchell Mystery - Book 1)
  • Never Back Down
  • Cold Open (Sam North Mystery #1)
  • Trust No One (Vista Security, #2)
  • Beyond the Sand Creek Bridge
  • A Hostage To Heritage (A Michael Stoddard American Revolution Thriller, # 2)
  • Read No Evil
  • Relative Danger
  • Treason
  • The Geronimo Breach
  • Dire Means
  • The Dragons of Archenfield (Domesday, #3)
More about William King...