Start by marking “The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume One” as Want to Read:
The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume One

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume One

4.48  ·  Rating Details ·  11,545 Ratings  ·  360 Reviews
Bentley Loft Classic Books proudly presents The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection - Volume 1 - Illustrated. This ebook is complete with Annotations and Active Table of Contents. See a brief description of what is included below:

Since his first appearance in Beeton’s Christmas Annual in 1887, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes has been one of the most beloved fictio
Published August 31st 2011 (first published September 20th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume One, please sign up.

Kenan Curry Yup! I can't wait 'til His Last Bow! I don't want to see him
SPOILER ALERT!
killed off, but I do want to see how he did it...
END SPOILER ALERT!
Anyway,…more
Yup! I can't wait 'til His Last Bow! I don't want to see him
SPOILER ALERT!
killed off, but I do want to see how he did it...
END SPOILER ALERT!
Anyway, buy it! They're all awesome!(less)

Cherie
Aug 19, 2013 Cherie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten so many little things about Holmes and Watson and the original stories of ACD.

It seems like a phenominal statement to make doesn't it? Holmes and Watson have been fixtures in my life, since I can't remember when. I have been watching movies and TV shows about them since my parents got our 1st TV when I was six years old. The can still remember the horror I felt watching one of the The Hound of the Baskervilles movies (I do not remember which version).

This year, there is a new TV
Caidyn
A Study in Scarlet: 3/5 - If only Doyle hadn't gone into the random American adventure. As always, I could have done without it. Even after I've read this story a few times, it hasn't grown on me. Most of the time, I would have given it 3.5, but I realized how this really fits into some "fun" stuff from back then. Horrible Mormon and Native American stereotypes. Sorry, Doyle. It's a good mystery but those three things make me take away two stars.
Cindy
Whatever you do, read Hound of the Baskervilles. Holy cow, that's now one of my favorite books. The short stories are fun, but some are better than others.

It feels like Holmes and Watson are really fleshed out as dynamic characters in Baskervilles. Is it the longer length? Is it because it was written so much later than the short stories?
Kathy
Apr 08, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Since 8th grade I have been head over heals for Holmes. I guess I just like moody intellectuals. It is so intertaining to watch him demonstrate his superior intellect again and again. I am really glad I picked these up a B&N. It's great to have all of Sherlock Holmes in two volumes.
Lisa
Nov 17, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 01-books-i-own
Holmes & Watson <3
Kristina
The Complete Sherlock Holmes: Volume I by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is great fun to read. Other than the three short novels, A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, and The Hound of the Baskervilles, this first volume is comprised of a collection of Holmes stories (also published under the titles of Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes). I read this large volume over the course of three months or so, reading stories between the run of bad books I’ve unfortunately had this ...more
Hope
Since I’ve been reading this off and on since February (yeah, that’s right, ten months!), I’ve forgotten a lot of particular criticisms and compliments for individual mysteries. So, although I can’t be exactly in-depth with this, I can account for the general, over-all feel of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

When I first started reading, I found it difficult to picture Holmes and Watson as younger men. They’re in their mid-30s, probably, but for some reason the tone of the book makes them feel like
Mike
Feb 09, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of a two volume set containing all Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s published works featuring Sherlock Holmes. Collected here in order of original publication, this first volume includes the first two novels (A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four), followed by the first two collections of short stories (Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes) and ends with the third novel, The Hound of the Baskervilles. Overall, it a wonderful collection featuring some of the m ...more
Alison
Apr 12, 2010 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing how much English literature became less dense between Austen, Dickens and Thackeray to Doyle. I admit I was avoiding reading this because I thought it would take the same level of time and commitment as a Dickens novel, but I was (pleasantly) surprised by how much easier it was to read.

I really enjoyed reading this compilation of four of Doyle's Holmes novels. It's easy to see why so many people love Sherlock Holmes and the books are so widely read.

However, I have to admit that "A
Adela
Apr 25, 2010 Adela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adela by: Adam
I've only read A Study in Scarlet from this collection, which was my intention. I'd lean toward 4 stars but I can't say how the rest of the book turns out. I definitely want to read the rest of the book--which totally suprises me--but not right at the moment. I've always been anti-Sherlock Holmes. Turns out he's not so bad after all.
Holly
May 06, 2012 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
A truly awesome collection of short stories and novels. There's no doubt in my mind that Sherlock Holmes is a master at his craft. Thoroughly entertaining; can't wait to dive into Volume II!
Charity
Jul 18, 2009 Charity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001books
I loved the novels (The Hound of the Baskervilles was a reread for me), but the stories were very much hit-or-miss.
Madeline
This month, I have read ten of the short stories for 12th grade British Literature. I am a little disappointed that this was my first foray into the adventures of Holmes and Watson. But, to be trite, better late than never.

What is there to say that hasn't already been said? Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote incredibly compelling tales and created one of the most magnificent characters in the history of literature. Despite more than a century in popular culture with countless interpretations in books,
Matt
Oct 01, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world’s most revered and famous fictional detective first appeared from the pen of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle almost a 130 years ago, but the author did not finish with his greatest creation until almost 40 years later even after unsuccessfully killing him off. In this first volume of all the collected works that feature Sherlock Holmes and his friend Dr. John Watson, the reader first meets the great detective and his friend through two short novellas, 23 short stories, and the best-known and gr ...more
Bridget
Jun 03, 2012 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, own
Having undertaken the journey of reading ALL the Sherlock Holmes stories due to my recent infatuation with the terrific BBC television series Sherlock, I am pleased to say I am pleased! Though Sir A. C. D. himself once insisted that he would be disappointed if he were only remembered for creating the character of Holmes, I have to object to such a statement. You should not be disappointed, sir!

These stories are brilliant. They aren't the most quickly-paced things, and they aren't exactly drippi
Alondra
Dec 18, 2011 Alondra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Buffs
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5 Stars

I cannot believe I am finished! I started, stopped, sputtered-to-life, halted, then started again. It took me 4 months to plow through this book; which is rare, since size does NOT matter. I have tackled larger books in less time. I did not find this book very interesting in the beginning, but once I set my mind to it this last month, it went quickly (I mostly read it on the weekends this past October).

The stories were relatively short, and actually quite humorous (Robert Downey Jr. pla
Kirsten
Feb 04, 2013 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An overall fun read. Ever since the release of the Sherlock Holmes movies, I have envisioned Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law when I read these stories! It was such great casting and it made the book even more enjoyable. As for the stories themselves, they have the potential to be a bit repetitive. But if you read one story at a time as they were originally intended to be read, then it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Anyways, like I said, a fun and entertaining read, can't wait to start on the seco ...more
Kelly
Jun 23, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I watched RDJ's Sherlock Holmes movie a few years ago, I was instantly hooked - I was immediately a fan of the characters and the story; this obsession escalated when I discovered BBC Sherlock, as well as Elementary. I knew I had to read the books and short stories that started it all, and I'm so glad I finally had the time to. Reading the original stories has really proved to me that these characters are immortal, and there's a reason why these stories are classics. I absolutely love these ...more
Michael
Dec 08, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The edition I read was from Doubleday and had a preface by Christopher Morley. This was the best detective series ever. It's only shortcoming is that when you finish, you wish you could read them all for the first time. The stories also give some insight to the culture of the time.

I have also read the apocryphal (not really) works. The best is The Seven Percent Solution by Nicholas Meyer followed by The Giant Rat of Sumatra and Meyer's West End Horror.
Tarissa
Aug 18, 2009 Tarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes is my FAVORITE literary character of all time. And I've only read half the stories.

I never dreamed I would fall in love with the mastery of one fictional man's capabilities of mind. I now use Holmes' methods of deducing, on an everyday basis. (It's just so hard not to, now that I've learned a few of his tricks.) And yet... there's still so much MORE to take in from this master of deduction!

Volume I = complete.
Volume II = here I come!
Rick
Jan 12, 2015 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the world of Sherlock Holmes. The Hound of the Baskervilles was my favorite story. Indubitably! Need a break before I read Volume 2.
Kristen
Sep 24, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
Awesome! I'm glad I haven't watched any of the many Sherlock movies or television shows because I can already see how Doyle's Sherlock is different. I can't recommend this enough. :)
Amy Sturgis
It doesn't matter how many times I've reread these stories. With each revisitation, I always find something new to admire and appreciate.
Crystal
Jan 23, 2013 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ugh I love Sherlock stories.
Lauren
Mar 19, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Holmes stories are always full of twists and small details play big roles.
Abbe
Product Description

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics:

All editions are beautifully designed and are printed to superior specifications; some include illustrations of
Alison
Jan 17, 2017 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I
I'm familiar with a fair number of Sherlock Holmes adaptations (mostly newer ones I will admit). Pop culture has had such a heavy hand in shaping my idea of Sherlock Holmes. It's interesting reading the source material and seeing where the inspiration for those adaptations comes from (and seeing how far some have deviated from the canon).

I definitely prefer ACD's short stories to the novellas. The short stories just have a better flow to them. The novella
a. Lynn
Feb 07, 2017 a. Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one semester in college, being aware of Sherlock and Watson as characters but none of their stories. I cannot properly explain how glad I am that I came to Sherlock Holmes unaware. I shared Watson's amazement with Holmes every step of the way- culminating in the Hound of the Baskervilles, where I was overjoyed and amazed by the path the story had taken. (in public, at lunch, I could barely contain my grin)
My experience came just before the booming popularity of the BBC adapta
Kyle K
Aug 12, 2015 Kyle K is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-classics
A Study in Scarlet - the story which brings Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson together and introduces them to the world. Shortly after our two heroes become flat mates a murder takes place in London. Scotland Yard is beyond its grasp and consults Holmes in the investigation. First one, then two dead Americans are discovered but Holmes is not deterred. Suddenly and unexpectedly, the arrest is made. The story then goes back in time and provides us motive for the killer. His love of a girl and hi ...more
Maria Lopez Larucci
Well. I'm impressed. Very impressed. Doyle really is Sherlock Holmes. His deducing is absolutely amazing. John Watson reminds me of myself in that we both care about the well-being of others. However, I loved Sherlock's character (minus his drug taking). He's brilliant and has a fantastic mind that works in ways that makes my head hurt. I preferred "A Study in Scarlet", although every story was amazing! I loved this book. :)
HMSA Reads: Book Review: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Volume 1 1 1 Aug 21, 2016 11:18PM
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Maggie: A Girl of the Streets and Other Tales of New York
  • Founding America: Documents from the Revolution to the Bill of Rights
  • The Turn of the Screw, The Aspern Papers and Two Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
  • The Communist Manifesto and Other Writings
  • Great American Short Stories: From Hawthorne to Hemingway
  • The Penguin Book of Victorian Women in Crime: Forgotten Cops and Private Eyes from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories
  • Northfield
  • A Study in Scarlet
  • The Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It
  • The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories
  • Billy Budd and The Piazza Tales
  • The Bohemian Girl (Denton, #2)
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson
  • Until Again: The prequel novella to Blue
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...