Start by marking “Have a Nice Conflict: How to Find Success and Satisfaction in the Most Unlikely Places” as Want to Read:

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  21 reviews
How to successfully navigate and prevent conflictFrom the publishers of the popular Strength Deployment Inventory, "Have a Nice Conflict" follows one man's fight to rescue his sinking career. Sales manager John Doyle would consider his career a success--he's his company's top revenue driver, and his take-charge attitude gets the job done. However, when he is passed over fo ...more
Published January 24th 2012 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Have a Nice Conflict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have a Nice Conflict

Kristin
This book was recommended by a participant at the Amer Assoc of Colleges of Pharmacy conference. I was interested in it as a possible book for students, knowing it was a fable and knowing that conflict was something that many were interested in learning more about. The book refers to the Strengths Deployment Inventory (SDI) and I wanted to see the similarities to the strengthsfinder work from Gallup. [There aren't many other than the concept of "overdone" strengths (Have a Nice Conflict) or barr ...more
Marko Petkovic
Conflict is part of our daily lives but we tend to think of it as a scary beast. It doesn't have to be that way. This book does a wonderful job at making the reader aware of different conflict resolution patterns that people employ, how to recognize them and how to deal with them. I believe readers that are not familiar with the SDI theory will appreciate the way the book was written because the authors Tim Scudder, Michael Patterson, and Kent Mitchell have created almost a fable. A fable that l ...more
Mitchell Bouley
This is the first management book in which I directly felt my approach to conflict was shifting. I never had an experience like this before. It only took me three days to read this book, and it would not be the last time! It is writing in an incredibly approachable matter, and I never had the feeling that the language and tone were too bland. Furthermore, the theory is based on the SDI model, but it is not necessary to follow tis problem; however, I am definitely thinking of using one in the fut ...more
Book
Have a Nice Conflict: How to Find Success and Satisfaction in the Most Unlikely Places by Tim Scudder, Michael Patterson, Kent Mitchell

“Have a Nice Conflict” is the disappointing book that uses a fictitious story to illustrate the Relationship Awareness Theory. The theory was founded by Elias H. Porter, Ph.D. (1914 – 1987) an influential psychologist who also developed the Strength Development Theory (SDI) along with other tools. I’m disappointed with the authors’ decision to base this book sol
Amy
I read this after our office attended an workshop in the SDI Inventory. I'm not sure that the book would make quite as much sense if you didn't have background knowledge of this tool.

The story itself is, as the subtitle says, a fable. And sort of a modern-day fable for office workers. It's a bit forced at times, and I found it a bit hard to get through some of the 'denser' sections that are all about explaining the SDI and conflict mechanisms (even though the authors do their best to weave this
Michael
Really interesting - a very easy to read introduction to relationship awareness theory. Made me think about how I do with conflict and how to approach other people in a way that can prevent conflicts or at least manage them much better. Highly recommended.
Becky
Book that goes w/ SDI training that we've contracted for CLIMB. Nice easy way to understand the ideas behind it. It will be good for a post read for the class
Ryan
Painful. Had to read it for work. Glad it's over! I don't believe any of this garbage. You either are or you aren't. Time to put your big boy pants on and go to work and not hide behind some color.
Richarnda
Required reading for work. The book alone was not something I would intentionally read. I found the way the book was written extremely cheesy. Reading or in my case skimming the book prior to training was useful but it all came together in training. I'm not sure if I would recommend the book alone but in conjunction with the seminar it was extremely useful. I recommend the seminars because the use of the profiles we extremely helpful in understanding yourself and others. It also makes you think ...more
Cat Woods
I thoroughly enjoyed this book for it's simplicity and scope. Have A Nice Conflict is a peek into human behavior in a very easy to understand way. It hits upon the motives behind our actions and how acting outside our typical behavior patterns can cause conflict within ourselves or with other people.

Only after we learn to identify our motivations and triggers, can we effectively manage the conflict in our lives.

Fun, quick read. If everyone had a grasp on what makes us tick and what our conflict
Hira
Specially designed for the managers to look up to their sub- ordinates for motivation and suggestions. To control the leverage success is sometimes difficult, all it need is to use the right tool for the right time. Taking up all the credit when others are involved and dedicated in a project is a disgrace to the efforts made by the team members, managers usually do that. This book is a good illustration of how we can minimize the conflicts which can occur from time to time in an organization.
Natasa Tovornik
When starting to read the book I was expecting something else (did not see the subtitle - a fable -), so I was a bit surprised. Not necessarily in a good way. I wanted a book to learn something and got a fable. In the end it turned out to be a really nice way of repeating the SDI themes and I could imagine also give some insight to people not familiar with SDI.
Matt Barcalow
I was sucked in by this book. I love understanding how people "work" and what's makes them do what they do. This book was so helpful for me as it explained the differ ing personalities and how they act and interact with each other. I plan on reading it again soon!
Anna
This book is good as a refresher to SDI. I would be really interested to know how someone else felt about it who didn't know about the theory?? Anyway I didn't love the book as I found it a tad cheesy at times. Slightly annoying. Anyone agree?
Bulent Duagi
For me, it was a very good recap of the SDI - Strengths Deployment Inventory and I've discovered some useful insights around conflict management. The shortcoming of the book is that it uses lots of cliches to convey the main ideas.
Chris
Easy to read book that operationalizes the SDI concepts. If you don't want to read cover to cover you can skip to "John's" notes in the back. I thought there was useful info here but not a book I'm out shouting in the streets about.
Beth
Very insightful book on how to better understand relationships and manage conflict based on personality types. Told as a story, so it wasn't as dry and unreadable as a lot of self help books are for me.
Platte Clark
Uses a fable to get at the underlying power of the SDI. A great introduction to a robust system rooted in academia, practiced for decades, and now increasingly relevant in today's world.
Nicole Finnegan
Hmmm, interesting and quick read. Caused me to reexamine staff and other meetings at work where conflict has occurred to varying degrees. Helpful? Not sure yet.
Elmy Santos
Great and easy read... The concepts described can be used in all areas of your life. Highly recommend it.
Vanessa
It was one of the easiest book of self and social awareness I ever read. Very good concepts.
Shafiq Alibhai
Shafiq Alibhai is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Darko Dukaric
Darko Dukaric marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Michael Youhouse
Michael Youhouse marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Have a Nice Conflict: A Story of Finding Success & Satisfaction in the Most Unlikely Places Have A Nice Conflict