Start by marking “Fear Itself: The Fearless” as Want to Read:
Fear Itself: The Fearless

Fear Itself: The Fearless (Fear Itself)

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
When Fear Itself is over, the hunt is on! Mystical hammers lay strewn across the entire Marvel Universe and it is Valkyrie's mission to find them, no matter what the cost, and no matter who stands in her way...even if it's Captain America & the Avengers! COLLECTING: FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS 1-12
Published July 4th 2012 by Marvel (first published May 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fear Itself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear Itself

Anthony
Apr 21, 2014 Anthony rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital
This turned out to be a pretty fun super hero romp. Valkyrie is on a quest to recover the hammers from Fear Itself, but she has to get to them first before Sin. Lots of guest stars from various other Marvel characters, which helps raise the stakes a bit. I ignored this when it first came out, seems like I might have been wrong to.
Kristen
Apr 01, 2016 Kristen rated it liked it
This book is needlessly confusing with the abundance of flashbacks. It's an okay book but not one I'd recommend unless you're a fan of Valkyrie. Brunnhilde is the reason I read this. She's cool, but unfortunately, she doesn't wow. (If Marguerite Bennett could write Valkyrie the way she does Angela in Angela: Queen of Hel that'd be awesome!)

I'm not a fan of the art style used...

The end leads into the Fearless Defenders series, which I love - so bonus!
J'aime
May 08, 2014 J'aime rated it liked it
I liked Fear Itself. It wasn't as good as previous crossover events like Civil War or Siege, but it was enjoyable. And I love reading about the aftermath of events. So, I was a bit surprised to be underwhelmed by Fearless - it felt like a retread.

After the Serpent is defeated, the 8 hammers of the worthy were collected and hidden by our heroes. Valkyrie was instructed by Odin to collect the hammers, only the Avengers are opposed to this. Captain America, justifiably, feels that the whole event w
Shannon Appelcline
Jan 09, 2015 Shannon Appelcline rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
What happens to the MacGuffins after the MacGuffin Crossover is over? A MacGuffin quest! Though I put it lightly, I think it's kind of cool to continue focusing on the hammers after the Fear Itself crossover is over. I was also quite surprised to discover that this effectively a 12-issue Valkyrie solo series, as I would never have expected her to carry a series of her own ... but she's perfect for a Fear Itself follow-up.

And, Val is absolutely the best thing in The Fearless. Cullen paints a grea
Silas
Mar 21, 2014 Silas rated it really liked it
A reasonably good continuation of Fear Itself. It didn't affect me quite as much as its precursor, but it was a fairly enjoyable romp through the various areas of the Marvel Universe, and featured some interesting turns. Overall, it was fun, but not terribly memorable.
P Fosten
May 01, 2012 P Fosten rated it liked it
It's hard to honestly critique this book because of the ending (Which cost it an extra star). This story deals with Valkyrie and Red Skull/Sin/Skadi's parallel quests to recover the hammers of the Worthy from the Fear Itself main series. Valkyrie is looking to close out her final obligation to Odin and send the hammers beyond mortal reach. There is more to that part than meets the eye but I won't spoil it here. Sin is chasing the power to destroy the world. Both end up clashing with heroes befor ...more
Davy
Feb 04, 2013 Davy rated it really liked it
I found't it a great aftermath of Fear Itsels. Two main characters: Sin and Valkyrie are searching for the 8 fallen hammers of the Serpent's Worthy. Sin get's help from her boyfriend Crossbones and the DOA (a demonlike secret society, connected to the nazi's from WWII). Valkyrie is on her and has to fight everybody: vampires, the Thing, Emma Frost, Storm even the Secret Avengers. Sin wants to have power of the hammers to awaken the Sleeper, a warrior hidden by the Serpent. Valkyrie wants to have ...more
Shane
This was cool super hero stuff. Nothing mind-blowing or original but fun and the plot was decent. I've always been a sucker for fights where there are a bunch of heroes at the same time and this doesn't disappoint in that area.
Chris Lemmerman
Whilst the final third of this mini-series is very interesting and much more enjoyable, the first two thirds are basically a whistle-stop tour of the Marvel Universe with Valkyrie/Sin punching people. It's not a bad mini-series by any stretch of the imagination, but it isn't really that important either - I would like to know what's going to happen with Valkyrie and the DOA after the ending of the series though. Artistically, Pelletier and Bagley work well together, and it's only certain places ...more
Katy
Nov 15, 2012 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I've been wanting to read this story since I heard about Cullen Bunn's upcoming new Marvel NOW! title, the Fearless Defenders. This arc sets the scene quite well, I think. Valkyrie is an awesome character and seeing her matched up against Storm was hilariously epic. I still don't know enough (anything) about future co-captain Misty Knight but the search for eight new shieldmaidens from the ranks of Midgard's heroines is a story I can't wait to read!
Alex Sarll
Superfluous 12-issue epilogue to a crossover which wasn't much good in the first place. That can work if you take a radically different angle on proceedings (cf Journey into Mystery's second and third volumes), but this is just more Sin, more big smackdowns, and more of those wretched hammers. On the plus side, it does mean they basically managed a 12-issue Valkyrie solo series, without (covers excepted) even getting too T&A about it.
Lesley
Oct 21, 2012 Lesley rated it liked it
The valkyrie named her pegasus Aragorn. That's all I have to say on the matter. Oh wait, also: Sin totally creeps me out, but Sin kissing someone will be forever burned into my brain. Just...eww.
Danny
Mar 20, 2013 Danny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'm not much for vampires and other undead characters so a lot of the book was lost on my but I really liked fear itself and this was a good follow up storyline.
Gianfranco Mancini
Epica miniserie di gran lunga superiore al crossover estivo di cui é il seguito e da cui prende il titolo. Da leggere.
Katia Roussou
Katia Roussou is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Robert Strack
Robert Strack rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Miłosz Bojan
Miłosz Bojan marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
lance l. shadle
lance l. shadle rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Porter Wells
Porter Wells rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Miroslav Markić
Miroslav Markić rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Roger
Roger added it
Jan 25, 2016
Meghan
Meghan rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Rocky Sunico
Rocky Sunico rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Giuseppe
Giuseppe rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Steve Joseph
Steve Joseph marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
  • A+X, Vol. 1: = Awesome
  • Fear Itself: Avengers Academy
  • Wolverine and the Black Cat: Claws
  • Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga Deluxe Edition
  • The New Teen Titans: Who is Donna Troy?
  • Avenging Spider-Man: The Good, the Green and the Ugly
  • Steve Rogers: Super Soldier
  • Power Girl, Volume 3: Bomb Squad
  • Power Girl, Vol. 2: Aliens and Apes
  • War of Kings
  • Captain Marvel: Secret Invasion
  • Ghost Rider: Road to Damnation
  • Fear Itself
Cullen grew up in rural North Carolina, but now lives in the St. Louis area with his wife Cindy and his son Jackson. His noir/horror comic (and first collaboration with Brian Hurtt), The Damned, was published in 2007 by Oni Press. The follow-up, The Damned: Prodigal Sons, was released in 2008. In addition to The Sixth Gun, his current projects include Crooked Hills, a middle reader horror prose se ...more
More about Cullen Bunn...

Fear Itself (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Fear Itself