Start by marking “An Absolute Deception” as Want to Read:
An Absolute Deception

An Absolute Deception

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Known as 'The Ice Queen', Anneliese Zander de St Phalle is one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers. Anneliese never talks about her past - not even to her only daughter, Callan. She's worked hard to leave it all behind her and it's a time and place to which Anneliese will never return. Or so she thinks.
Published June 12th 2012 by Orion (first published June 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about An Absolute Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Absolute Deception

Justine Crandles
Oh how I would trade places right now; Melbourne for Bali… was it only 5 weeks ago that we were lying by the pool in the 32 degree heat? And here I am today… admittedly sick and at home, but with the heater and my favourite trackie pants on. Well, that is Melbourne for you, the good and the bad weather wise!

Bali gave us some wonderful memories, one of which was the discovery of a fantastic café/restaurant/bookstore named ‘Biku’ in Seminyak. It stored a collection of new books printed in English
Helen
I'm really disappointed with this book. I really loved Lesley Lokko's first thre novels but this one was just a real waste of two days of my life. It did take me three months to really get stuck in but as I'd paid for it on my kindle I thought I would "solider through". Shouldn't have bothered really. The ending was "wet" and diserved more of a "climax"!
Melanie
I loved Lesley Lokko's first book Sundowners... The second book was ok and progressively its gone downhill since then.

This last book was more skim reading than actual reading overall disappointing
Jane
Very enjoyable, but a little confusing at times as moves from place/date and person very quickly.
Jenny Cooke
Disappointing.....
Valentina
Premetto che credo che questo sarà l’ultimo romanzo che leggerò della Lokko, sebbene tutti mi parlino bene de L’estate francese e Cioccolato amaro. Sono arrivata a stento a finire questo libro, estremamente lungo – non che abbia avuto mai un problema con il libri “voluminosi”, tutt’altro -, eccessivamente ridondante e malinconico allo svilimento. Potrei ripetermi, menzionando più o meno le stesse pecche che avevo riscontrato in Un perfetto sconosciuto, ma in questo caso direi che il tutto è più ...more
Larren
Truida
My first book by Lesley Lokko. I enjoyed the way she entroduced al the different characters and jump around in time as well as characters with all of them part of everybody elses lives without them knowing it, coming together in the end. I love the way she writes, a very toned down "struggle" novel. Easy reading but quite enjoyable. looking forward to more of het books
Lucy Hewitt-gudgin
Love Lokko as an author but this book lets her down, took a while to get into, was a little boring in places, not her usual page turner. The ending, what happened? It felt like the stories were hurriedly thrown together in the last couple of chapters and without piecing it together, several story lines were completely forgotten about.
Rachel
Loved this book but feel that quite a few parts of the story were left up in the air. Could easily lead to a sequel?
Francel Anne Julian
cliff-hanger. intense. i really loved the connection of each and every character in the story, everyone seemed so so connected with each other.. and the continuation of this will be tomorrow hahahah
Antonella Serra
Good book but has a weird end, incomplete... I hope it comes a sequel...
Sezi Kitchen
Took a while to get going but was a good read once it did. More substantial than a lot of similar books in the genre & I'll definitely look out for more of Lesley Lokko's books.
Joy Padley
Lesley Lokko does it again. Complex characters spanning Europe and Africa. It tells the story of Hannelore who becomes pregnant and is sent away from her family in disgrace. She eventually reinvents herself as Annelise a world famous dress designer. The only negative is at the beginning you can become confused as there are so many characters. Good beach read.
Candy
I really enjoyed all her other books but I found this one far too long. It was slightly boring in places and very long winded , where things could have been explained in a couple of sentences a whole chapter was dedicated to it ... The ending was a bit of a anti- climax too ...
Rochelle
Boring only read 20 pages and lost interest.
Janine
I didn't enjoy this. It jumped around and the ending was weak. I also could not understand an adult daughter not questioning her mother about her past and her father.
Jana
I just love Lesley Lokko and how her stories are about different people with lives somehow entwined spanning across decades and the world
Rachel
Not a bad read, a bit disjointed. The ending was disappointing as I felt there was far too much left unanswered.
Wendy Smyth
Not her best, decidedly predictable. Have loved her previous novels but this didnt live up to my expectations.
Kelly
I was excited to read this novel, but unfortunately it did not live up to other Lokko books, good to read though.
Barbara

Very good. Especially liked the parts relating to Namibia. Wonder if there will be a sequel.
Libby Cooper
Not bad, but not great either.
Found this book difficult to finish, but glad I persisted.
Lindsay Hart
Another good novel from Lesley lokko. Recommend this author.
Kate
Disappointing compared to her others which I've read & loved.
Lauren Wilson
Lauren Wilson marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
  • An Enormously English Monsoon Wedding
  • The Hidden Cottage
  • The Honey Queen
  • Private Lives
  • Whatever It Takes
  • This Child of Mine
  • Lots Of Love (Lodes Chronicles, #1)
  • The Look of Love
  • Skinner's Round
  • The Vintage Summer Wedding
  • Liverpool Angels
206071
LESLEY spent seven years training as an architect but always dreamed of writing a novel. Eight novels (and counting) later, and aside from building her own home in Ghana, she hasn’t looked back. She splits her time between Johannesburg, Accra and London, (although now she’s dreaming of a flat in Edinburgh) and counts the BA lounges at Heathrow amongst her favourite places in the world.
More about Lesley Lokko...
Bitter Chocolate Sundowners Saffron Skies Rich Girl, Poor Girl One Secret Summer