Start by marking “Cage the Darlings” as Want to Read:
Cage the Darlings

Cage the Darlings

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Only a blackbird girl can set her free... Envy is a lucky lady with a secret vice: she's one of the best thieves in the kingdom-something her current employer, the king himself, has no knowledge of. When one of her more audacious gambles gets her caught, Envy thinks her luck's run out. Infuriated, the king banishes her to Bran Tower, a haunted, forgotten prison of no escap ...more
Published November 21st 2011 by Createspace (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cage the Darlings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cage the Darlings

Nikki
Elora Bishop is another penname belonging to Sarah Diemer, for her adult fantasy books. Really, Cage the Darlings isn't that different in tone to her other work: it's a simple, sweet lesbian love story, very much in the fairytale tradition. It's more of a novella than a novel, in length, and is a very quick, easy read. And, like the versions of fairytales we all know, it has a happy ending.

I wanted more, really. More of the world, more of Merle and Envy. I wanted to know Lady Ann would be okay a
Marthese Formosa
Posted on The Lesbrary: http://lesbrary.com/2014/09/21/marthe...

I love fairytales, especially those with a queer twist so I had to pick this book up! The story is about Envy, a thief working as a servant for a scheme she came up with and Merle, the blackbird princess who visits Envy once she gets locked up in Bran Tower. It is a romantic story but with a lot of personal changes and adventures. It is 104 pages in which Bishop weaves mysteries and magic.

The blurb of the book, which I did not read
Ally
(From my blog, Word Vagabond: Supporting Independent and Small Press Authors.)

Envy is doing a pretty good job of following in her mother’s footsteps as a thief, until her pride and ambition get the better of her. Caught stealing from the King’s daughter, the guards throw her in an inescapable tower and leave her for dead. Suddenly all the childhood stories she thought were only myths- like the Blackbird King, patron of thieves- are coming true, and the things she thought she would never have are
Lindley Walter-smith
A really sweet, beautifully written sapphic fairytale with a heroine in a tower and a magic love-interest in peril. Teh actual plot is lightweight but satisfyingly fairytale-like, and the central romance and the messages of friendship and trsut and self-responsibility are really charming. This novella is one I will keep and read again when I meed a good comfort read. Really highly recommended.
Tanager Leigh
“Oh, moon and stars, it was delicious.” Thus narrated the heroine (named Envy) of the book Cage the Darlings by Elora Bishop just after her growing infatuation with the novel’s romantic interest (Merle) blossomed into something more. And indeed, at that point of my reading of the story, I felt exactly the same way!

Envy is a moderately successful thief in this medieval-like-setting fantasy novel filled with magic, curses, and odd topography. So, she gets busted for her thieving ways and banished
Sarah Savala
I'm always on the hunt for good lesbian fiction, and it's a bonus if the lesbian fiction's genre is also fantasy. I had read a short story by Elora Bishop before under her real name, so I was looking forward to reading her adult lesbian fiction. There's not much difference in style or content between this book and the short story I read.

In this world, lesbians seem to be accepted, no problem, as the main character is a philandering lesbian thief named Envy. Envy actually gets caught stealing, a
Shiyiya
THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD. READ THIS BOOK.

It's a wonderful little fairy tale about queer girls in love, and I spent the latter half of it crying with happiness because it was a fairy tale about queer girls in love.

This book is everything. Buy it read it love it.
Alex
I will say that this felt a little bit rushed to me in places, but was otherwise a very sweet and quick little read. :)

Also, it makes SO MUCH SENSE to me that Elora Bishop and Sara Diemer are the same person.
Chris
Nov 28, 2011 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers, anyone who loves a love story
The only thing that kept my heart from breaking was my absolute and firm belief in a happy ending.

Slow to start, for me, we follow the adventures of Envy, a self professed charming and clever thief, on a most interesting challenge: to sleep with every lady of the King's court and steal one thing from each conquest.

Naturally, this goes awry and the subsequent tale will take Envy and her friend, Belinda, into the pages of myth and legend, and love above all.

The debut novel from Elora Bishop will
Natsu
A short and sweet fairy tale fantasy. The itsy-bitsy smidgen of gore for the resurrection spell helps too. Curse, Magic, Love and Haglin's cats.. all enough for me to enjoy the story.

Envy and Merle are both endearing in their own ways. A story of faith, falling in love and how some things aren't what people believed them to be.
Kate
Imaginative and well-written fairy-tale romance with memorable characters and beautiful settings.
Liz
Beautiful writing, well-developed female characters in supportive relationships with one another, magical and fairytale elements, and themes of love and loyalty made this book an absolute delight!
Amanda
Another one I loved! Raven's! Thieves! Towers like in Rapunzel but worse! And, always, love in the darkest places, bringing the best light. Braving other worlds for the testimony of your heart.
Andy
Possibly my favorite of Bishop's novels. I love the heroine, and the world she lives in -- so glad we get to see more of it in The Benevolence Tales. Hope there's a sequel!
Karyn
Recommended to everyone, regardless of whether you're straight, gay, bi, pan or whatever. A good story is a good story and this one is great.
Marina
One word: mesmerizing.
Raven Hymn
Raven Hymn marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Fin
Fin marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Miyakochan
Miyakochan marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Kit Kittredge
Kit Kittredge marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Karine
Karine marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Priya Bhakta
Priya Bhakta marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
  • Sugar Moon
  • Seven: A Lesbian Snow White
  • Nightshade (Arravan, #1)
  • Roses and Thorns: Beauty and the Beast Retold
  • Lunatic Fringe (Tales of the Pack, #1)
  • Ascension (Tangled Axon)
  • Rangers at Roadsend (Celaeno, #3)
  • Broken Wings
  • The Gunfighter and The Gear-Head (The Raven Ladies, #1)
  • Sleeping Beauty, Indeed & Other Lesbian Fairytales
  • Sword of the Guardian (Legends of Ithyria, #1)
  • Fire Logic (Elemental Logic, #1)
  • The Pyramid Waltz
  • Machine
Elora Bishop is a queer author of magical lesbian love stories. You will often find her wearing soft skirts, curled up in a sunny window (much like a cat), Austen in hand, cup of tea (two cream, one sugar) nearby, always piping hot. She is bewitched by all beautiful things–but, most of all, by her beloved wife. She writes lesbian YA as Sarah Diemer.
More about Elora Bishop...
Crumbs: A Lesbian Hansel and Gretel (Sappho's Fables: Lesbian Fairy Tales) Sappho's Fables, Volume 1: Three Lesbian Fairy Tale Novellas One Solstice Night Braided: A Lesbian Rapunzel (Sappho's Fables: Lesbian Fairy Tales) One Imbolc Gloaming