Start by marking “Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Vol. 2

Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Vol. 2 (Mastering the Art of French Cooking #2)

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,395 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
The sequel to the classic Mastering the Art of French Cooking
Here, from Julia Child and Simone Beck, is the sequel to the cooking classic that has inspired a whole American generation to new standards of culinary taste and artistry. On the principle that “mastering any art is a continuing process,” they continued, during the years since the publication of the now-celebrate
Published September 12th 1983 by Knopf (first published October 12th 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Mastering the Art of French Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mastering the Art of French Cooking

The New Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia RodenMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisEssentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella HazanSundays at Moosewood Restaurant by Carolyn B. MitchellOlive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks
Best Ethnic Cookbooks
14th out of 206 books — 126 voters
Orange Is the New Black by Piper KermanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildIvy Days by Susan Allen TothA Woman's Education by Jill Ker ConwayTrue North by Jill Ker Conway
Smith College Books
18th out of 121 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela
Apr 19, 2013 Angela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culinary
This is not a review on the content which is excellent.

To be very brief here are the nitpicks regarding the specific imprint 9780241956472:

1. The book size is that of a novel (20cm x 13cm). To open it properly and follow a recipe, once would need to crack the spine and force it open at 180 degrees. It does not stay open at any one page without mechanical force holding it there.
2. The paper has the same newspaper feel as a mass paperback. The font is minute. The height of the non-caps letters is
Janis Ian
Nov 27, 2010 Janis Ian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Say what you will - out-dated, dense, whatever criticism you can offer - Mastering the Art... Vol. 1 & 2 are still the seminal books on the art of French cooking a la haute cuisine. I worked my way through Volume 1 years ago, when I thought my ex-husband (being Portuguese and having lived in France many years) would appreciate it. I stopped doing it for him when he poured Tabasco all over my Beef Bourguignon without tasting it first, but I continued cooking "Julia" for myself.
Clra
Dec 10, 2012 Clra rated it really liked it
browsed thru it at the library - the section on baking bread is fantastic - detailed and very useful.
also saw the "beef case" in there - the way they described it as an ingenious dish that will even surprise the diners who have eaten everything - i lol'ed. enjoyed the unexpected wit there.
Marla Glenn
Oct 27, 2015 Marla Glenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perused
This is fun to flip through after reading "Dearie," though there are only so many recipes I would attempt, mostly in the chicken & eggs sections.

It's unbelievable how hard Julia Child worked on this book, but it's cool, too, how well documented the process was because of her letters to/from Avis DeVoto and others. Simone Beck worked very hard also, but Julia did all the typing, from what I understand.
Aaron
Apr 26, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-the-kitchen
The second volume of MTAOFC is just as charming, extensive, and invaluable as the first. In fact, I would say I use volume 2 even more than volume 1- perhaps because I am a baker and dessert maker, and this volume (2) covers breads and desserts. I will never forget my first successful attempt at homemade baguettes. (After about 10 minutes of the smell of cooling bread filling the kitchen, I was tempted to rip open a loaf and have at it. Julia advises against that- 2-3 hours of cooling so "the br ...more
Marjorie Campbell
I am struggling with the format of this book. I reckon there are some gems of information here but the way the layout is set up is near impossible to follow. Love her prefix to each recipe and the descriptions of what might have gone wrong and techniques for how to succeed - it is how the ingredients and tools for each recipe are set out. Not in a format I am used to and thus I am tempted to write them out for myself in a format that I find useable. I will press on undaunted, however, because I ...more
Matriarchy
Dec 04, 2011 Matriarchy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, own
Volume 1 has been in my life since I was a child, and I have an early edition in hardcover. I don't like to keep that family heirloom in the kitchen. Heat, moisture, and grease are bad for treasured books. But I recently found both volumes in this Knopf paperback re-issue - at the Goodwill for 25 cents each. Yay! Kitchen-safe volumes - and Volume 2 for the first time.
Lisa
Mar 16, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
This book seemed to be written for those unfamiliar with cooking and using a kitchen. The recipes seemed so long and daunting until you realized that the author wrote out nearly every detail, including listing a lid for your pot in the ingredients list. The recipes were interesting but didn't get my taste buds watering. Sorry, Julia fans.
Jenny
Jan 16, 2008 Jenny marked it as to-read
Ok, I can't say I've read it or even cooked anything from it yet, but I just picked up a used copy at a library book sale. Julia's writing is so sweet and funny, often unintentionally, and unlike any cookbooks being published today. Plus, her diplomat husband Paul does all the illustrations! Who can argue with that?
Megan
Jun 11, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
Not as amazing as the first one, and I don't feel that this one stood on its own as well, but it's a interesting compliment if you enjoyed the first one. If you're only planning to buy one, get the first. If you get the first and become mildly obsessed with it, this is a solid followup.
Christopher
Aug 01, 2011 Christopher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Much like the first book but even less easier to follow. Again the recipes are quite retro. There is a lot of irrelavent information and again wouldnt be recommending it to the novice cook because it is just too much effort to read and follow.
Monika
Mar 18, 2011 Monika rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Only reason this is minus a star is because it often refers to Volume 1, which I don't have. Yet. (Found a pristine 1st edition of Volume 2 for $6, could not pass it up!)
Heidi
Jan 05, 2010 Heidi rated it liked it
Not much in here that we'd eat on a day to day basis; however, I loved reading Julia's words and learning her techniques. I would love to own the set.
Carrie
Aug 05, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it
This cookbook has stood the test of time, especially with the editing that was done when it was reissued. I have cooked several things from it with success.
Tim
Aug 13, 2012 Tim rated it it was amazing
I confess I have several copies of this and vol. 1 in various paperback and hardback form, most secondhand and most well used, need I say more?
Karen B.
On page 117 - two chapters down, now onto Eggs! Who knew it was possible to make your one mayonaise with olive oil. Now I want to try..
Ruth
Aug 19, 2008 Ruth rated it liked it
I got this book mainly for the French Bread recipe which proved quite complicated (twenty pages worth), but found it interesting.
Dottie
Nov 09, 2007 Dottie marked it as own-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks-food, own
Volume Two finally came to stand by its mate on my shelf – I’m looking forward to learning from it as I did the first.
Jane
Nov 16, 2008 Jane rated it liked it
Never used it as much as vol. one, but you should have both if you want to cook with Aunt Julia.
John-Bryan Hopkins
Jan 18, 2009 John-Bryan Hopkins rated it it was amazing
Yet another wonderful book essential for the everyday cook. Has aged very well.
Heath Robinson
Apr 12, 2008 Heath Robinson marked it as to-read
Next Julia's going to teach me how to master French bread. Can't wait to experiment.
2bnallegory
Aug 14, 2011 2bnallegory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Have yet to dwell overmuch in this one, still looking over the first volume.
Christie
Dec 07, 2009 Christie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
Can't wait until I actually have time to try some of the recipes...
Hasanuddin
Jan 11, 2010 Hasanuddin rated it really liked it
Shelves: paradigma
Memasak adalah seni, penikmatnya adalah pengagum seni memasak :)
Amanda
Sep 19, 2009 Amanda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Dude! I found this at a used bookstore, first edition, for $7!!
Lori
Oct 06, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: petprojects
I'll cook my way through this lovely book the rest of my life.
Hed3rd
Sep 28, 2010 Hed3rd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must for everyone who enjoys their kitchen
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
This is a masterpiece of her time
Liz
Jun 11, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing
More from the Frech classic master.
Jude
  • Bouchon
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing
  • French Provincial Cooking
  • The Escoffier Cookbook: and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery for Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
  • The Country Cooking of France
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
  • The Art of Mexican Cooking
Julia Child was a famous American cook, author, and television personality who introduced French cuisine and cooking techniques to the American mainstream through her many cookbooks and television programs. Her most famous works are the 1961 cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking and, showcasing her sui generis television persona, the series The French Chef, which premiered in 1963.

More about Julia Child...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (2 books)
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking