Start by marking “The Last Men Out: Life on the Edge at Rescue 2 Firehouse” as Want to Read:
The Last Men Out: Life on the Edge at Rescue 2 Firehouse

The Last Men Out: Life on the Edge at Rescue 2 Firehouse

The inside story of one of America’s most elite firehouses and the extraordinary brotherhood of men who face extreme danger every day

Firefighting is a world of absolutes: evil is a red devil that wants destruction and death, good is a charged hose line, full of water to fight the flames. The best and boldest firefighters in the country, the men of Rescue 2 are hand-picked
Published June 1st 2004 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about The Last Men Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Men Out

Chrissy
Jan 13, 2011 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I don't know exactly what to say about this book except READ IT! . This book should be required reading for firefighters and New Yorkers/Americans alike. These are the stories of the men who lived and died for you. These are the men who put it all on the line in the fire-filled days of the 70s and 80s. These are the men that paid the ultimate sacrifice not just on that fateful day in September 2001, but in other fires that the public no longer remembers. These are the men that are cha ...more
J. Dallas
Feb 21, 2013 J. Dallas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An up close and personal look at the men of FDNY's elite rescue company. These men are the best of the best. The ones other firefighters call when the s*** really hits the fan. This book is also a fitting tribute to those of Rescue Co. 2 who sacrificed their lives in the line of duty on Sept. 11 2001. It doesn't get any more real than this.
hamptonenglish10
Jan 06, 2013 hamptonenglish10 rated it it was amazing
Talyson Green
Ms. Brooks
Academic English 10
6 January 2012

The Last Men Out is a non-fiction biography about how everyday firefighters in New York City put their lives on the line to save others. This book talks about the language that firefighters speak when they get called to a fire by the 911 dispatchers. For example, when the firefighters hears the dispatcher say 10-60, that means that there is a major emergency that they needs their attention. After the book mentions some of the codes that th
Courtney
Sep 06, 2016 Courtney rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. I could not pick a favorite person who was featured in the book because I love all Rescue 2 men the same. This book is made up of plenty of different stories from some of the most important jobs to these men including some from 9/11. The theme of the book was heroism. There were so many heroes and so many lives that were saved during the time this book was written. Every firefighter should read this book. The Last Men Out is a book that you will feel plenty of emot ...more
Lisa Bruce
I'm not sure if I can rate this book. It took me a long time to read for a few reasons. One, it is too much of a reality check when the love of my life is not only a firefighter, but the book is about the Rescue team that his god father worked on and his father was at many of these fires they tell stories about so it just hit close to home. Second, it was so emotional at times that I just couldn't take a lot at once. And third, it was actually a little difficult to follow with all of the differe ...more
Ryan Gunter
Jan 11, 2014 Ryan Gunter rated it it was amazing
This is a great book about the lives of firefighters. Rescue 2 in New York City has such a rich history and is full of great rescues and rich friendships. This book is a wonderful glimpse into how firefighting is such a great brotherhood with bonds that go beyond just the job. That everyone takes care of each other in and out of the fire station.

It shows how fire fighting has gone just beyond fighting fires, but to car accidents, collapses, water rescues, up to terrorism. As someone who is a vo
Dan
Feb 19, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the fire service.
Shelves: firedepartment
While not the best book on the fire service - that would be David Halberstam's Firehouse - this book is a touching look into the world of one of the countries most elite fire houses - Brooklyn's Rescue 2. Rescue 2 (or "The Rescue" as its members call it) responds to any significant fire incident in Brooklyn, as well as larger calls in other boroughs.

The book has a collection of war stories from the three generations of firefighters who have worked there. Very fun to read, if you think burning bu
Joe
Dec 12, 2007 Joe rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best "firefighter" related true life story book I have ever read. A lot of these books were written after 9/11, but none come close to this one. This was book was actually started prior to 9/11. It's a page turner and I finished it in one day. This might not be interesting for someone who isn't in the fire service but it's worth a try.
Francheisko
May 18, 2009 Francheisko rated it it was amazing
I've read several firefighting books but none come close to this one. The true events of this book were written prior and after 9/11, and the stories are very surreal at some point you fell like your on the back step with res2cue responding to a fire. The book covers some great legends of the FDNY like Downey, Gancy, Pritchard, Stackpole etc.
Zamcewan
Jun 11, 2010 Zamcewan rated it liked it
This book is about new york city fire fighting. At rescue 2 a local fire house the firemen go through H3!!. Fighting fires in no day job the firemen stay up all night and have no rest during the day. Whether washing the rig learning new equipment this book will keep the firemen and the reader busy. I would recommend this book to anybody whom is interested in fire fighting.
Delani Littlefield
Oct 08, 2011 Delani Littlefield rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best book that I have ever read!! It was so inspirational and moving. It is vey hard for an 'outsider' to be able to really get into a firehouse and he did! I lost count of how many times that I cried but it is a phenomenal book!! :)
John
Jun 05, 2007 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally thrilling since my cousin Brian was Captain of Rescue 1 in Manhattan around the same time as many of the events in this book take place. These guys are the elite of the elite and pretty much invented the rescue training and tactics as they are today.
Peter
Jan 27, 2016 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fire-fighting
Excellent read if you are in the fire service. Inspiring collection of traditions and stories that are important to carry on. It was tough to read some of the tragic stories but essential to know how they handled the situation.
Medic 1181
Jul 04, 2008 Medic 1181 rated it liked it
Inside the Fire House of Rescue 2 FDNY prior to and post 9/11. Known as ledgends for going decades without a man killed on duty their skills have been used all over the U.S. during rescue efforts, including the Oklahoma City Bombing. Rescue 2 lost alot on 9/11
Kerry
Oct 29, 2009 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book about Rescue 2. I found this book while doing research on a rememberance post for Billy Lake this past 9/11. I knew firefighters could be tough, but I had no idea how tough. These guys are amazing.
Ann Koster Schaffer
This is an almost unbelievable story about some firefighters who survived when one of the towers fell. Very good!
Daniel Carroll
Sep 06, 2014 Daniel Carroll rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the insiders peek into the world of the fireman. ..ending up with the gripping horror of 9/11
Liana
Nov 29, 2007 Liana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people interested in firefighting
I read this prior to starting the fire academy. It is touching and realistic as well as interesting.
Natasha
Jan 28, 2013 Natasha marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
Does anybody know if this is available in electronic format in any store? Have checked Amazon and a few others, but can't find it :(
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2011
D Lopez
D Lopez rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2008
Christopher Robert
Christopher Robert rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014
Travis Fellows
Travis Fellows rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it did not like it
Dec 14, 2011
Kim Rinard
Kim Rinard rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
Kristi Smith
Kristi Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2014
Clay Huber
Clay Huber rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2012
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Report from Engine Co. 82
  • Working Fire: The Making of a Fireman
  • The Mercy of the Sky: The Story of a Tornado
  • Ablaze: The Story of the Heroes and Victims of Chernobyl
  • Gone at 3:17: The Untold Story of the Worst School Disaster in American History
  • Bath Massacre: America's First School Bombing
  • Jumping Fire: A Smokejumper's Memoir of Fighting Wildfire
  • To Sleep with the Angels: The Story of a Fire
  • Fighting Fire
  • Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam
  • Hemingway vs. Fitzgerald
  • The Great Hurricane: 1938
  • Last Man Down: A Firefighter's Story of Survival and Escape from the World Trade Center
  • Alamo in the Ardennes: The Untold Story of the American Soldiers Who Made the Defense of Bastogne Possible
  • War Stories: Operation Iraqi Freedom
  • Curse of the Narrows: The Halifax Explosion 1917
  • You'll Be Sor-ree: A Guadalcanal Marine Remembers The Pacific War
  • Forgotten Voices of the Somme: The Most Devastating Battle of the Great War in the Words of Those Who Survived