Start by marking “Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home” as Want to Read:
Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home

Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,551 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
The companion volume to the public television series Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home

Two legendary cooks, Julia Child and Jacques Pépin, invite us into their kitchen and show us the basics of good home cooking.
What makes this book unique is the richness of information they offer on every page, as they demonstrate techniques (on which they don't always agree), discuss ing
Published September 14th 1999 by Knopf (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home

Dayna
May 15, 2016 Dayna rated it it was amazing
I'll never be finished with this book - Love it!
Rachel
Feb 23, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
Well since it will probably be forever before I actually sit down and read her most famous books "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," and I actually saw some of the episodes of this show on PBS in the 1990s, I figured this would be a good book to read. I liked how they set up the recipes with over 300 pictures, and then the commentary by Julia and Jacques on the sides in different colors. Now I don't necessarily want to know how to debone and section a fish or separate cuts of beef/pork, it is ...more
Bethany
A more manageable introduction than Mastering the Art of French Cooking, this captures Julia's voice brilliantly. The push and pull as well as camaraderie between her and Jaques makes for interesting reading. It's especially interesting to see this dynamic exposed after reading Provence 1970; Julia obviously found better ways to collaborate if not always agree after her partnership with Beck dissolved and I love the agree to disagree flavor of the writing here.
Maisy Mcgaughey
Jun 03, 2014 Maisy Mcgaughey rated it really liked it
Four stars instead of five, but only because there isn't anything distinctive about the recipes on their own. The conversation between these two legends is worth buying and keeping this cookbook, sans recipes. There is so much here- skills and techniques, food history and reflections on classics and new classics, and great, solid recipes with variations to boot.
Elaine
Oct 11, 2015 Elaine rated it it was amazing
An excellent book and interesting from the perspective of the refinements in preparation and ingredients of food. If you enjoyed their television shows, you will enjoy this book.
Allison
this is one of the bibles for cooking from two of the masters of our time. it is wonderful to see the same cuisine cooked w/2 different recipes from jacques & julia - both in the same place.
Tien
Oct 29, 2007 Tien rated it really liked it
I wish I had a BFF that I could write a book with. I wish that the book that I wrote with the BFF that I wish I had would be as good as this one. The best part is when they squabble over things like how long to boil your egg, or how to properly make a crepe, or when Julia kind of ribs on Jacques Howard Johnson-ing something because he gets all crazy cutting fruits and veggies into fancy shapes. The point is, you learn different techniques and you're encouraged by two different experts to try dif ...more
Cindy
Oct 08, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
I loved the PBS series this book is based on. This is a great read; I especially enjoy reading about their differing techniques.
Lbaker
Aug 16, 2011 Lbaker rated it it was amazing
I really need to buy this book.
Instead, I have borrowed it from the library - 7 times, and when I went to renew it today, someone else has put a hold on it - how rude! Don't they know I'm still using it! (lol)

I adore and idolize both of these chefs - their talent is straight forward and not complex just for confusion. I know if there is a finicky step in a recipe, there is a reason, though I'll check J. Pepin's to see if he agrees as his recipes are often simpler.

If anyone wants to get me a Chr
Heather
Sep 12, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
Many of the recipes seem like they should be simple, but they're very drawn out and intensive. I think a more accurate title would be, "Julia and Jacques, Cooking at Home on Weekends."
Catherine Woodman
Jul 31, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
I got this out of the library when I was watching the PBS series the cookbook is a companion to and while these two really elderly cooks who were champions in their time are marvelous to watch cook--both because they both clearly know their way around the kitchen, and because they are clearly fond of each other, but the cooking is just not my style--heavy use of butter and cream, very traditional preparation, and I already have 5 Julia Child cookbooks that I can go to for that sort of food.
Liz De Coster
Aug 17, 2010 Liz De Coster rated it really liked it
Recommended to Liz by: Rosie
Shelves: french, food
As a long-time devotee of PBS cooking shows, I thought this book was delightful. The back-and-forth between Julia and Jacques that makes their show so interesting is well-represented with numerous sidebars and notes from each chef. Both parties provide their own takes on recipes and ingredients, which adds both information and depth, so readers can mix and match to their heart's content. They may even have convinced me to try souffle!
LorCon
Feb 24, 2010 LorCon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Good luck getting your hands on this book, which was put out in conjunction with J&J's tv show of the same name, apparently in a small print run. I've been trying to get a used copy at a reasonable price for months. Big, beautiful format, with advice on each recipe from each chef. The tv show is also charming, with Jacques gamely being the smiling perfect gentleman, no matter what Julia says!
Elaine
Sep 10, 2007 Elaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-wine
The book is laid out with pairs of commentary on facing pages by the two authors. Fewer recipes and less content than I expected, but a lovely idea for a book by two friends. If I made a book like this with my other half, his would contain a list of phone numbers for take-out joints - greasy thai, carbohydrate bomb pizza, and maybe some orange smudges from the cheese doodles gone astray.
Jun 21, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
These are meals for special occaisons. The ingredients are expensive and the recipes are involved and time consuming. The most memorable recipe I've made so far is the poached pears, which are delicious. I'm sure you can find an easier recipe for poached pears, but that recipe wouldn't be chock-full of pictures of my two favorite chefs then, would it?
Feb 03, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Julia and Jacques present their variations side-by-side on some classics. Julia has a great technique for garlic mashed potatoes and their recipe for Creme Anglaise is excellent (if you have the courage to make it). The chocolate-creme chantilly roulade is excellent and very impressive for any formal get-together.
Meredith
Feb 05, 2011 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Great cookbook. I love how it is set up with commentary from both Jacques and Julia. Plus, the food seems really classic without some of the more unusual recipes found in Julia's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." (Aspics, anyone?)

This is my go-to cookbook for bœuf bourguignon.
Nelly Paulina
Nov 22, 2009 Nelly Paulina rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
This is a great how-to and a fun way to explore some variations in technique. Pepin and Child combos have been a long-time favorite.

Did not even flip through the last half of the book which explores meats, recipes and techniques for meats. Complete with step-by photos. Ick.
Michelle Ardillo
Jun 20, 2012 Michelle Ardillo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Julia and Jacques were adorable together, respectful of each other's differences, always professional but cordial. This is a companion book to the PBS series of their cooking shows. Great basic manual with lovely little anecdotes sprinkled throughout!
Grace
Nov 10, 2009 Grace rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Another cooking resource for rank beginners, though I would buy Learning to Cook with Marion Cunningham first.
Heather
Oct 12, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
I like the way recipes are presented with the left column devoted to Julia and her techniques and opinions and the other side of the spread to Jacques. There's a great deal of insight hear, lots of great tips, good recipes and some personality.
Nomad
Jan 14, 2012 Nomad rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-writing
Meh. This was just, not good. If you want good Julia Child this is NOT the place to look for it. Just... no. Skip this book and look to her older stuff. Some of her newer cookbooks were experimental and some of them fell flat. Like this one did.
Roberta Marro
Apr 19, 2009 Roberta Marro rated it it was amazing
Contains the most wonderful recipe for Cauliflower au Gratin, but every recipe in the book sounds delicious. What more could you want than Julia Child and Jacques Pepin cooking together. Of course, it was also a TV series on PBS.
Caroline
Jun 26, 2012 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, favorites
An absolute must for fans of Julia and/or Jacques. They worked so well together--and this book (and its accompanying PBS series) is a testament to their friendship and their dedication to teaching and making cooking something fun.
Colleen
May 22, 2010 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me many things, as did their tv shows on Channel 13 for so many years. But it was the simplest lesson that has been the most rewarding... how to cook an egg. Properly. Makes all the difference in the world.
Paul Steele
Oct 07, 2011 Paul Steele rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Fun, full of information and delicious!

I like the comments that Julia and Jacques leave on each recipe, explaining their cooking techniques and why they prefer them.
Sam
Jul 08, 2008 Sam rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
this was a great educational cooking lesson as I read through the recipes but the level of skill is very difficult and you have to be equip with many resources
Scotty
Jun 19, 2012 Scotty rated it it was amazing
The counterpoint between Jacques and Julia echoes their onscreen presence. They were (are) wonderful together and this cookbook is rock solid.
Oct 22, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, reference
Excellent clear instructions. Liked the way each gave their favorite version of a dish - mine is often somewhere between theirs.
Lianne
Mar 09, 2008 Lianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I used to love watching the two of them on TV, and I am truly enjoying this cookbook. I want to make so many of the recipes!
  • Jacques Pépin Fast Food My Way
  • Lidia's Italy
  • Mario Batali Simple Italian Food: Recipes from My Two Villages
  • Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
  • James Beard's American Cookery
  • Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen
  • Bouchon
  • A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
Julia Child was a famous American cook, author, and television personality who introduced French cuisine and cooking techniques to the American mainstream through her many cookbooks and television programs. Her most famous works are the 1961 cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking and, showcasing her sui generis television persona, the series The French Chef, which premiered in 1963.

More about Julia Child...