Start by marking “The First Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
The First Thanksgiving

The First Thanksgiving

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Illus. in full color. The story of the Pilgrims is vividly retold in simple language for beginning readers.
Published September 12th 1990 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The First Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Thanksgiving

Leslie
The First Thanksgiving by Linda Hayward with it's soft,warm color illustrations by James Watling could very well be a child's first real look into the history of the that first Thanksgiving. Here we do not a cutesy baby-ish version of events, but an older, more thoughful child's first entry into history. There is a bit of simplification, as this is not a college text but aimed at the AVERAGE 2nd grader. We learn a little of the early history of these pilgrims, why they were unhappy in England bu ...more
Julia
Definitely intended for kids with a more sophisticated understanding of the world. Example: last year my class did the wonderful 'virtual field trip' sponsored by the Plymouth Plantation museum and I wound up with students who wanted to discuss the pilgrims spreading disease amongst the indians- those are kids who are capable of reading this book. A class I had the year before would have been crawling up the walls if I sat down and read this with them. :) It all depends on your group.

Other than
Brittany Hastings
Grade Level: 1st
Lexile: 390
Main Character: Massasoit, Squanto, Samoset
Setting: Plymouth Rock
POV: 3rd Person
Genre: Traditional Literature

-Summary: This book tells the mostly true story of the first Thanksgiving that is shared with the Native Americans and the Pilgrims. The book starts with explaining that the Pilgrims decided to come to America on the Mayflower because they did not agree with the King’s religious policies. Once the Pilgrims arrive in America, they do not immediately befriend the
Dayna
Solid historic Thanksgiving content in an early reader.
midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 20 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Teri
OK--recommended by our school curriculum but a little on the predictably dry side--
Molly
Nov 19, 2013 Molly added it
Shelves: thanksgiving
Ben read it.
Amrita
Amrita marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Tara
Tara added it
Dec 01, 2014
Kiran
Kiran added it
Nov 22, 2014
Sayda
Sayda marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Marci
Marci marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Herman Burnett
Herman Burnett marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Alka J
Alka J marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Connie Haas
Connie Haas marked it as to-read
Lora Read
Lora Read marked it as to-read
Lyric Jefferson
Lyric Jefferson marked it as to-read
Carli Nicole
Carli Nicole marked it as to-read
Grace Phelps
Grace Phelps marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Baker, Baker, Cookie Maker (Sesame Street) Oh, The Things You Can Say from A - Z (A Dr. Seuss Beginner Fun Book, Preschool - Grade 1) I Can Add Upside Down!: The Back To School Range (Learn With Dr. Seuss) Boom Boom Boom! (A Dr. Seuss Beginner Fun Book, Kindergarten - Grade 2) Sneetches Are Sneetches:  Learn about Same and Different (A Dr. Seuss Beginner Fun Book, Preschool - Grade 2)