The Way to Cook

The Way to Cook

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  8,357 ratings  ·  89 reviews
In this magnificent new cookbook, illustrated with full color throughout, Julia Child give us her magnum opus the distillation of a lifetime of cooking. And she has an important message for Americans today. . .

to the health-conscious: make a habit of good home cooking so that you know you are working with the best and freshest ingredients and you can be in control of what...more
Published September 28th 1993 by Knopf (first published September 18th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Way to Cook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way to Cook

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
75th out of 830 books — 836 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingA Little Mouse's Journey A Collection by Lucas Hosby
If you haven't read this books your life isn't complete
146th out of 166 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Catherine
this is why I love Julia Childs:

“Special Note: The Rooti-ti-Toots

Some diners find the flatulent after-effects of home-cooked dried beans too distressing to contemplate. A number of years ago, scientists at the Western Regional Research Center of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Albany, California, discovered that dried beans do indeed contain elements some people find difficult to digest. To cope, the human intestines send out voluminous gases of protest and rebellion.

Fortunately, however,...more
Bennet
"The pleasures of the table, that lovely old-fashioned phrase, depict food as an art form, as a delightful part of civilized life. In spite of food fads, fitness programs, and health concerns, we must never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

Yes, this a cookbook I have actually read cover to cover. Not all at once, but as eagerly and happily and intently as I've read anything. And the pictures! Simply gorgeous photographs.

Sometimes I just open and gaze and read at random, the way I do...more
Gail
Jan 11, 2014 Gail rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all cooks
Shelves: cooking
This modestly-titled, huge book has, besides Julia's trademark je ne cest quoi, detailed directions on how to make anything. Armed with this book and some patience, anyone can learn to cook almost anything that isn't specifically country-based (e.g., sushi). Included are
pictures, disaster corrections, and enough variations to keep one happily occupied for years. I considered myself an experienced and pretty good cook when I first got this book, but I've learned so much from it that my skills hav...more
Angela Skeie
This is a book that is very much worth having. There's a place for it on the shelf, but more often, it's wandering about the living room because it's such a good and important read. For me, it has it's obvious limitations, because I don't eat meat, but it's been very useful for fish; and although I consider myself having a good hold of it already, vegetable preparations. And then there are the desserts and pastries--an invaluable resource. I must admit, however, I found the ever-so-slightly diff...more
Liz
If I ate meat, this book would surely get four stars. If it incorporated ethnic or non-European ingredients to any degree, it would even get five! The master recipes and their variations are concise and Julia's entertaining and opinionated writing shines. But no tortillas or salsa, no soy sauce, no couscous or hot peppers or tofu or ginger...even most of the cheese called for is Swiss! The book is a wonderful resource for European-based American food, but in this American century, I don't think...more
C
Some of the recipes in here are a bit dated for American home cooks (not sure many people are going to be touching the chicken aspic), but the majority of the book is full of good, practical food and instruction you can rely on.

When in doubt on how to make something, grab the Julia Child book first... she'll walk you through it with good step by step instructions and pictures. This is the book I toss at people who are learning to cook - particularily meats, breads, vegetables, pastries, and ste...more
J.C. Gary
I met Julia at a private Boston cocktail party in her honor not long after this book was released and have been using the book ever since. Truly an exceptional book from an exceptional person. Although I have all of Julia’s books, I tend to use this one the most. The wonderfully classic, dependable recipes have been tested and perfected many times so the results are the same for everyone, every time – one of Julia’s great legacies.

She really was a lovely person and on first seeing her, I was ta...more
Donna
Just about my all time favorite. I've learned so much, but the thing I use the most is how to boil an egg.
Geoff Bartakovics
Jan 22, 2008 Geoff Bartakovics rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the breathing
Shelves: favorite-go-tos
Friends who know me will snicker at this obvious addition to my "already read" shelf, as I'm a self-styled Julia Child hag.

But despite that, this is truly a revolutionary book to me. One that I can honestly say I have read -- not scanned or cooked from. Because it is highly readable. Julia chatted with her readers about "master recipes" that could be learned and varied. This was a techniques book before food styling was a profession.

We are now late enough in history for "foamed food" to have co...more
Janetiokepa
After reading APPETITE FOR LIFE I felt that Julia Child believed this cookbook to be her greatest. It is amazing in its depth and breadth of types of food, the incredibly detailed explanations, the photographs, and her voice comes through loud and strong. I couldn't believe how BIG the book is--its size and length. I haven't read every single recipe, but I want to tackle a few of my favorites, for example, the recipe for French bread! (She doesn't tell how many hundreds of loaves she and Paul ba...more
Nicole
Jul 01, 2013 Nicole added it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is my go-to for any culinary question. The recipes range from simple to complicated but because Julia Child had a way with teaching, you never feel overwhelmed. And, not only that, she explains how to properly carve a chicken, trim meat- all those things that you should know never bothered asking our mother (that is if my mother ever actually knew). I also reference this when I see other recipes and I am not sure if they make sense. I recommend owning it. You never know when it will co...more
Sheril
We use this book regularly in our house. ;)
Jules
What can you say...? Julia's voice in her cookbooks is so prevalent and clear. In difficult recipes she guides you through with reassurance and authority--I just love her. There are many recipes in this book I make over and over: her beef bourguignon, her scalloped potatoes--her pizza with tomato sauce recipe we can live without! (we just made it last night!). I just adore her. We are so lucky to have had her in our lives and in our kitchens.
A must have...I got this as a precursor to her MTAFC Vols. I & II, and am glad I did. Goes from basics to more complex variations of classic dishes. I have referenced this book a lot, much like I use the Joy of Cooking, to compare recipes, look at methods of roasting, baking, etc. A good first JC cookbook! That said, who on earth makes aspic (cold poultry suspended in jello) anymore?! Ugh...
Elizabeth
This is my go-to cookbook. For my mother it was Joy of Cooking but when I need to know how long to roast, what temperature is safe, how to make the perfect gravy, its all here with Julia's wit, bevity and good solid instruction. And I am reminded of meeting her many times while I lived in Boston as I look at the lovely inscription from her in the front of my well loved and well worn copy.
Diana
ok, i have to be real here. this book is great, but julia isn't the greatest cookbook writer. her instructions are hard to follow. you have to read it very, very carefully and her recipes take 10 times longer to make than ones that you might find online. BUT there's a reason to her madness...her recipes are the "dankest" ever. it's like going to a 5-star restaurant. it's that good.
Linda
Julia Child has been one of my heroes for years - she singlehandedly changed America's eating habits when jello and meat & potatoes were the norm. Julia's books plus her "Cooking With Julia" half hour television show made us all feel that we too could become experts in the kitchen ...not that we could but .. even so her books are a delight. I return to them again and again.
Samantha
Julia Child knows what she is doing in the kitchen. This book is more for learning technique than actually cooking anything, because really the majority of the recipes call for tarragon layed across a chicken pate covered in aspic, and who really wants to eat that? Next stop will be a full set of Mastery of French Cooking. Oh my.
Maureen
May 22, 2008 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: novice cooks and foodies alike
Shelves: cookbooks
If I could only keep one from my vast stores of cookbooks, this would be it. Nearly every page is spattered with batter, or oil, or some other kitchen effluvia. Julia's great jubilation in producing succulent dishes shines through every one of the beautifully composed pages. I come back to it again and again.
Bill Adelson
Jul 13, 2007 Bill Adelson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who love butter
Shelves: cookbooks
To know Julia was to love her. To love her was to cook from one of her recipes. The key, with the exception of deserts, is to read the recipe and make it your own, put your own soul into. Deserts, you can't do that. You have to put love into them, but you've got to follow them to the T or else they'll be ruined.
Terry Gorman
One of my favorite cookbooks! It fits with how I cook - basic underlying skeleton recipes with variations as you go. Chowder is chowder and it doesn't really matter if it's seafood chowder, corn chowder or potato chowder. If you understand the basic process, the rest is just doing it your way.
Neko Musume
Once you figure out how to navigate this the recipes come out well. However, the book is large, dry, and confusing (i.e a "recipe" for bûche de noël where every component is in a different part of the book.) The recipe for madelines is very good and ALWAYS releases from the pan.
Tiffany
If you have her first two books this one is superfluous--although she has developed better techniques for pie crusts in this one.

Someone gave my mother a copy of the first one and 45 years later I had Julia Child sign it. She was old and frail and boy, what a trooper!
Julia Souders
My first Julia Child's cookbook. The Way to Cook by Julia Child. I like the common sense approach she offers, as well how to preserve food, save time and applies on technique to other recipes. It is a good read for those who are into reading cookbooks for fun and use.
Barbara Weintraub
This is my bible for classic recipes and techniques. I generally cook "by feel" and modify recipes, and this book encourages that approach in its master recipes and alternatives and modifications. This is a must-have cookbook for the beginner and experienced cook.
Jerry
The source I always turn to. Martha Stewart has some great ideas, but I ALWAYS check with Julia before making any of Martha's. Julia tells you why you do something and never skimps on directions, whereas Martha does skip over things just to get to the pretty pictures.
Verena Allen
I love to read this book. Although it is not for novice cooks, the recipes are still basic recipes for good cooking. I would not recommend this book for those who are afraid to cook as they could easily be overwhelmed. However, it is one of my favourite recipe books.
Daniel
A humorous and informative cookbook that teaches technique as well as classic French and American dishes. Sections are started with a master recipe and derivative recipes then follow. The dough/bread chapter was probably my favorite.
RF
According to my MOST reliable foodie friend, this cookbook is THE cookbook to learn how to cook. Easy instructions and photographs, and wide variety of recipes. You learn a master recipe, then can modify it from there...
Grace
We received this as a wedding present and it is so much more than a coffee table book. If you are the type of person who wants to learn how to really boil an egg (and they why of ever step), then look no farther.
  • Beard on Bread
  • Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
  • New York Times Cookbook
  • Bistro Cooking
  • The Gourmet Cookbook: More than 1000 recipes
  • Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook
  • The Cake Bible
  • Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques: Featuring More Than 1,000 Cooking Methods and Recipes,  in Thousands of  Step-by-Step Photographs
  • The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
  • The Essential New York Times Cookbook: Classic Recipes for a New Century
  • The New Book of Middle Eastern Food
  • The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines: China, Greece, and Rome
  • The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
Julia Child was a famous American cook, author, and television personality who introduced French cuisine and cooking techniques to the American mainstream through her many cookbooks and television programs. Her most famous works are the 1961 cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking and, showcasing her sui generis television persona, the series The French Chef, which premiered in 1963.

More about Julia Child...
My Life in France Mastering the Art of French Cooking Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor... Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Vol. 2 Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home