Start by marking “The Way to Cook” as Want to Read:
The Way to Cook

The Way to Cook

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,739 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
In this magnificent new cookbook, illustrated with full color throughout, Julia Child give us her magnum opus the distillation of a lifetime of cooking. And she has an important message for Americans today. . .

to the health-conscious: make a habit of good home cooking so that you know you are working with the best and freshest ingredients and you can be in control of what
Published September 28th 1993 by Knopf (first published September 18th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Way to Cook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way to Cook

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
46th out of 993 books — 988 voters
Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella HazanHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildJames Beard's American Cookery by James BeardBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and Gardens
James Beard Foundation 20 Essential Cookbooks
21st out of 21 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Catherine
Dec 30, 2007 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is why I love Julia Childs:

“Special Note: The Rooti-ti-Toots

Some diners find the flatulent after-effects of home-cooked dried beans too distressing to contemplate. A number of years ago, scientists at the Western Regional Research Center of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Albany, California, discovered that dried beans do indeed contain elements some people find difficult to digest. To cope, the human intestines send out voluminous gases of protest and rebellion.

Fortunately, however,
Bennet
Jan 17, 2012 Bennet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
"The pleasures of the table, that lovely old-fashioned phrase, depict food as an art form, as a delightful part of civilized life. In spite of food fads, fitness programs, and health concerns, we must never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

Yes, this a cookbook I have actually read cover to cover. Not all at once, but as eagerly and happily and intently as I've read anything. And the pictures! Simply gorgeous photographs.

Sometimes I just open and gaze and read at random, the way I do
Angela Skeie
Aug 25, 2013 Angela Skeie rated it really liked it
This is a book that is very much worth having. There's a place for it on the shelf, but more often, it's wandering about the living room because it's such a good and important read. For me, it has it's obvious limitations, because I don't eat meat, but it's been very useful for fish; and although I consider myself having a good hold of it already, vegetable preparations. And then there are the desserts and pastries--an invaluable resource. I must admit, however, I found the ever-so-slightly diff ...more
Gail
Jan 11, 2014 Gail rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all cooks
Shelves: cooking
This modestly-titled, huge book has, besides Julia's trademark je ne cest quoi, detailed directions on how to make anything. Armed with this book and some patience, anyone can learn to cook almost anything that isn't specifically country-based (e.g., sushi). Included are
pictures, disaster corrections, and enough variations to keep one happily occupied for years. I considered myself an experienced and pretty good cook when I first got this book, but I've learned so much from it that my skills hav
Richard Pfeifer
May 01, 2016 Richard Pfeifer rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on how to cook, not just recipes, but technique, step by step through recipes and permutations, not to mention how to use leftovers, or as she states "feasting on the remains". As a home cook, I learned much and still refer to my aging copy frequently for questions or direction on how to best approach a dish. Not to mention her meatloaf recipe is the best.
Judi
May 20, 2016 Judi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, cookbooks
My first copy of this book has seen a little too much wear. Time to purchase another one. Hey, at least I can prepare the best hard boiled egg of anyone I know! Time for 10 star option.
Liz
May 30, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
If I ate meat, this book would surely get four stars. If it incorporated ethnic or non-European ingredients to any degree, it would even get five! The master recipes and their variations are concise and Julia's entertaining and opinionated writing shines. But no tortillas or salsa, no soy sauce, no couscous or hot peppers or tofu or ginger...even most of the cheese called for is Swiss! The book is a wonderful resource for European-based American food, but in this American century, I don't think ...more
C
Feb 25, 2010 C rated it it was amazing
Some of the recipes in here are a bit dated for American home cooks (not sure many people are going to be touching the chicken aspic), but the majority of the book is full of good, practical food and instruction you can rely on.

When in doubt on how to make something, grab the Julia Child book first... she'll walk you through it with good step by step instructions and pictures. This is the book I toss at people who are learning to cook - particularily meats, breads, vegetables, pastries, and ste
Maureen
Dec 27, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: novice cooks and foodies alike
Shelves: cookbooks
If I could only keep one from my vast stores of cookbooks, this would be it. Nearly every page is spattered with batter, or oil, or some other kitchen effluvia. Julia's great jubilation in producing succulent dishes shines through every one of the beautifully composed pages. I come back to it again and again.
Mar 10, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Timeless. Perfect. I love the way this one is organized. It corresponds to a lot of video segments you can find on You Tube, so you can watch Julia do it first. <3
Donna
Dec 08, 2011 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Just about my all time favorite. I've learned so much, but the thing I use the most is how to boil an egg.
J.C. Gary
Nov 30, 2014 J.C. Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met Julia at a private Boston cocktail party in her honor not long after this book was released and have been using the book ever since. Truly an exceptional book from an exceptional person. Although I have all of Julia’s books, I tend to use this one the most. The wonderfully classic, dependable recipes have been tested and perfected many times so the results are the same for everyone, every time – one of Julia’s great legacies.

She really was a lovely person and on first seeing her, I was ta
Julie
Jul 02, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fic, cookery
I think Julia Child was one of a kind and I've read lots and lots about her and by her but never her "Bible" (Mastering the Art of French Cooking) or this new testament. For me, I need bigger pictures and shorter ingredient lists to get excited about actually trying a recipe, but I did enjoy her commentary. Fun to flip through but not a keeper.
Geoff Bartakovics
Jan 22, 2008 Geoff Bartakovics rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the breathing
Shelves: favorite-go-tos
Friends who know me will snicker at this obvious addition to my "already read" shelf, as I'm a self-styled Julia Child hag.

But despite that, this is truly a revolutionary book to me. One that I can honestly say I have read -- not scanned or cooked from. Because it is highly readable. Julia chatted with her readers about "master recipes" that could be learned and varied. This was a techniques book before food styling was a profession.

We are now late enough in history for "foamed food" to have co
Cindy
Oct 08, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
Julia Child is my cooking hero! Every recipe in this book is perfect. It has so much more information than just the recipes. If I could only have one cookbook, this is it!
John Millard
Oct 03, 2015 John Millard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Julia was serious. All of her recipes work and she covers all the basics plus more advanced preparations. Any of her books are worth buying if you want to learn.
Cristin
Mar 10, 2016 Cristin rated it it was amazing
So many techniques worth preserving on your kitchen shelf! Lots of forgotten recipes that are classics maintained within the pages!
Kelley
Nov 05, 2014 Kelley rated it it was amazing
One of my go to cookbooks. Fond memories every time I use this cookbook
Janetiokepa
Jun 18, 2010 Janetiokepa rated it really liked it
After reading APPETITE FOR LIFE I felt that Julia Child believed this cookbook to be her greatest. It is amazing in its depth and breadth of types of food, the incredibly detailed explanations, the photographs, and her voice comes through loud and strong. I couldn't believe how BIG the book is--its size and length. I haven't read every single recipe, but I want to tackle a few of my favorites, for example, the recipe for French bread! (She doesn't tell how many hundreds of loaves she and Paul ba ...more
RsvpShindig
Sep 08, 2014 RsvpShindig rated it it was amazing
A must for any cook!
Nicole
Jul 01, 2013 Nicole added it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is my go-to for any culinary question. The recipes range from simple to complicated but because Julia Child had a way with teaching, you never feel overwhelmed. And, not only that, she explains how to properly carve a chicken, trim meat- all those things that you should know never bothered asking our mother (that is if my mother ever actually knew). I also reference this when I see other recipes and I am not sure if they make sense. I recommend owning it. You never know when it will co ...more
Sheril
Jan 28, 2014 Sheril rated it it was amazing
We use this book regularly in our house. ;)
Jules
Sep 30, 2009 Jules rated it it was amazing
What can you say...? Julia's voice in her cookbooks is so prevalent and clear. In difficult recipes she guides you through with reassurance and authority--I just love her. There are many recipes in this book I make over and over: her beef bourguignon, her scalloped potatoes--her pizza with tomato sauce recipe we can live without! (we just made it last night!). I just adore her. We are so lucky to have had her in our lives and in our kitchens.
Jan 23, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A must have...I got this as a precursor to her MTAFC Vols. I & II, and am glad I did. Goes from basics to more complex variations of classic dishes. I have referenced this book a lot, much like I use the Joy of Cooking, to compare recipes, look at methods of roasting, baking, etc. A good first JC cookbook! That said, who on earth makes aspic (cold poultry suspended in jello) anymore?! Ugh...
Elizabeth
Jan 08, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-book, favorites
This is my go-to cookbook. For my mother it was Joy of Cooking but when I need to know how long to roast, what temperature is safe, how to make the perfect gravy, its all here with Julia's wit, bevity and good solid instruction. And I am reminded of meeting her many times while I lived in Boston as I look at the lovely inscription from her in the front of my well loved and well worn copy.
Diana
Dec 14, 2008 Diana rated it really liked it
ok, i have to be real here. this book is great, but julia isn't the greatest cookbook writer. her instructions are hard to follow. you have to read it very, very carefully and her recipes take 10 times longer to make than ones that you might find online. BUT there's a reason to her madness...her recipes are the "dankest" ever. it's like going to a 5-star restaurant. it's that good.
Linda
Feb 15, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culinary
Julia Child has been one of my heroes for years - she singlehandedly changed America's eating habits when jello and meat & potatoes were the norm. Julia's books plus her "Cooking With Julia" half hour television show made us all feel that we too could become experts in the kitchen ...not that we could but .. even so her books are a delight. I return to them again and again.
Samantha
Aug 29, 2007 Samantha rated it really liked it
Julia Child knows what she is doing in the kitchen. This book is more for learning technique than actually cooking anything, because really the majority of the recipes call for tarragon layed across a chicken pate covered in aspic, and who really wants to eat that? Next stop will be a full set of Mastery of French Cooking. Oh my.
Bill Adelson
Jul 13, 2007 Bill Adelson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love butter
Shelves: cookbooks
To know Julia was to love her. To love her was to cook from one of her recipes. The key, with the exception of deserts, is to read the recipe and make it your own, put your own soul into. Deserts, you can't do that. You have to put love into them, but you've got to follow them to the T or else they'll be ruined.
Terry Gorman
Jun 18, 2009 Terry Gorman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
One of my favorite cookbooks! It fits with how I cook - basic underlying skeleton recipes with variations as you go. Chowder is chowder and it doesn't really matter if it's seafood chowder, corn chowder or potato chowder. If you understand the basic process, the rest is just doing it your way.
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
  • Beard on Bread
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen
  • The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
  • The Fannie Farmer Cookbook: Anniversary
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • The Cake Bible
  • Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
Julia Child was a famous American cook, author, and television personality who introduced French cuisine and cooking techniques to the American mainstream through her many cookbooks and television programs. Her most famous works are the 1961 cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking and, showcasing her sui generis television persona, the series The French Chef, which premiered in 1963.

More about Julia Child...